Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Apparently I can’t post images to Imgur any more...

Holy crap, it is so much less work when a few people bring sides. Carrots, green bean casserole, and onions (someone in my group always brings them) brought by others.
Smoked the dark meat and did sous vide deep fried turchetta with the white meat.
Sous vide cranberries were the best in years, and I’m never boiling potatoes again (but I will rice or food mill them next time).
Yes, I have given up fine china and silver and cut crystal for paper plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's December, and as the only person in my extended family who will admit to liking it, that means it's time to start the fruitcake.

poo poo gets a wee bit complex.

Break down the fruit and ginger, zest the citrus, set the pecans aside for later. Huck it all into a half-gallon mason jar.

3/4c of golden rum, 1/4c of spiced rum, 1/4c of whiskey, and a splash of brandy in with the fruit, give it a good shake and throw it in the fridge. Couple days to macerate, shaking it any time I happen to go past the fridge, and I'll actually get to baking this weekend.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I adore fruitcake but it was basically never in my life because we're Jewish so it's not exactly a family tradition or whatever, and now I live in India where almost nobody even has an oven let alone a fruitcake. Your incipient fruitcake looks wonderful. Great choice of fruits and great choice of boozes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My dad loved fruitcake but he's the only person I've known IRL. And sometimes I felt like he just pretended to like it out of some level of spite from his past.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

There is a night and day difference between good homemade fruitcake and the crap you get at the store full of bright green dyed cherry bits and soaked in sugar syrup.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Liquid Communism posted:

There is a night and day difference between good homemade fruitcake and the crap you get at the store full of bright green dyed cherry bits and soaked in sugar syrup.
Yes, the store fruitcakes (or any other fruitcakes with the dyed candied fruit) are basically Keebler elf cookies compared to homemade cookies. Night and day!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Late-posting the Thanksgiving meal, the film came back!

My girlfriend and I made the creamed potatoes and crispy bits from Bon Apetit -

And my plate with samples of everything cause I'd been sampling everything already in the kitchen earlier (sourdough bread was made by me as well) -

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Unfortunately, I have no pictures of my turkey yakitori. That being said, took about 3 hours to butcher and put it all together. Came out pretty delicious but a large part of working on technique is cooking everything just right.

Cranberry glaze turned out quite well (the one listed on chefsteps)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am brainstorming making a Santa that vomits wine.

I’m thinking of taking this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0811H45QQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3J65LA1XKD5G4&psc=1

Ripping out the electronics and putting in an aquarium pump and some tubing and drilling a hole in Santa’s mouth to vomit out of. Would an aquarium pump be food safe?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
No idea if an aquarium pump is foodsafe, but even if it is, but I imagine it would probably make your wine taste like poo poo.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
You can get food grade fluid pumps. Some of the ones on Amazon don't look much more expensive than aquarium pumps, but the more reputable-looking ones for homebrewing are pricey. No idea what any of those do to wine, though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It'd just aerate and decant it. It'd be fine. The aeration would most likely make it taste better.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
Okay, Thanksgiving's over, now it's my time to shine.

I overdo cookies. I give 95% of them away though.

These are two of my twelve types.

So far I've made:
- chocolate sugar cookies decorated like snowflakes
- vanilla sugar cookies decorated like cardinals
- gingerbread cookies decorated like Christmas trees
- cardamom walnut crescents
- chocolate fudge (with and without nuts)
- melting moments (like Mexican wedding cookies, but no nuts)
- shortbread
- cinnamon thumbprint cookies filled with dulce de leche and sprinkled with sea salt

I have left to do:
- marzipan (a family recipe that consists of a pastry base, a slathering of jam atop it, topped with a rice-flour cake in red and green half-rear end attempts at checkerboards, and frosted with a vanilla buttercream)
- lemon tassies
- linzer cookies
- orange spritz cookies

Hell yeah, Christmas.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Holy poo poo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fruitcake assembly continues apace!

Edit: Done and basted with brandy.
Once it cools I'll turn it out into a tupperware and keep basting it with brandy until Christmas.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 10, 2019

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Holy crap Sehkmet, those cookies look amazing.

Fruitcake's looking good too Liquid Communism; makes me miss my grandmother's fruitcake. She still makes it but I developed a nut allergy and without the nuts I don't like the texture and it's too sweet for my taste.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Thank you!

Also man, I want to try your fruitcake, Liquid Communism. I mean I generally hate the storebought stuff but that looks downright appealing.

So I finished my baking extravaganza up today, and made my first tray of the season (going to my workplace for our holiday potluck/Secret Santa exchange).

From the top going clockwise:
- sugar cookie cardinals
- linzer cookies (filled with raspberry jam, and others with blueberry jam)
- orange drops
- marzipan
- chocolate sugar cookie snowflakes
- lemon tassies
- gingerbread trees
- cinnamon thumbprints with dulce de leche filling
- shortbread
- melting moments
- cardamom walnut crescents

and chocolate fudge (with and without nuts) in the middle.

I've been doing this for, like, ten years on my own (I used to do this with my Mom) and this is the first year I'm genuinely quite pleased with the turnout. There's a lot of new things on there, along with some oldies, and it's a nice transition from my Mom's stable of cookies to mine.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Cross posting from the chat thread....

Holiday therapy anyone?

Miss Manners posted:

we have one family member, an older woman, who acts like a spoiled toddler at the table: making faces, gagging and spitting out any food that is not to her taste, then loudly announcing the specific reasons she does not care for the food, and what I should have made instead.

She has even gone as far as to remove family favorites from the table, throwing plates full of food in the trash, yelling that she is protecting everybody else from “being made ill by that horrible slop!”

I think we'd just bury these kinds of people out back and never speak of them again...

gently caress Miss Manners for suggesting they try and talk it out vs never inviting them into your home ever again.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

toplitzin posted:

Cross posting from the chat thread....

Holiday therapy anyone?

I think we'd just bury these kinds of people out back and never speak of them again...

gently caress Miss Manners for suggesting they try and talk it out vs never inviting them into your home ever again.

Hard disagree. Miss Manners is awesome as always. Clearly the letter writer said they would run away if they could, but not once did they float the idea of not inviting the hostile guest, who sounds like their mom or grandma maybe. So Miss Manners was working within those parameters.

Also my wife says "bitch, don't be coming at Miss Manners."

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nah, Miss Manners is starting to show her age/lead poisoning.

Some people you just tell to gently caress off and GTFO.

Especially when they wholesale clear your table into the trash the name of "gently caress you, I think your cooking is poo poo" in front of other people.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Not nearly as impressive as some of the other cookies in this thread, but I made pinwheel cookies, kinda

Didn't roll it as tightly as I should have, but now I know for the future

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Glumslinger posted:

Not nearly as impressive as some of the other cookies in this thread, but I made pinwheel cookies, kinda

They are RUSTIC and BEAUTIFUL

I love and want them IN MY MOUTH

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

I'd eat that in a heartbeat. What's the filling in the pinwheels?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Glumslinger posted:

They look like ears. Next year you should fill them with raspberry filling and market them as Van Gogh cookies. I'd buy a dozen!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am going to be hot smoking some fish this weekend to make pâté: traditionally, I’d go with mackerel, but has anyone got any other suggestions? I am tempted to do some salmon as well, just to have...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Sehkmet posted:

I'd eat that in a heartbeat. What's the filling in the pinwheels?

Strawberry jam

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Scientastic posted:

I am going to be hot smoking some fish this weekend to make pâté: traditionally, I’d go with mackerel, but has anyone got any other suggestions? I am tempted to do some salmon as well, just to have...

Herring, perhaps? Kipper pate is fairly popular in the UK.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Wine Santa coming together

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Please get a video of it once it's running

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Wine Santa coming together

I’m sick as hell because my coworkers won’t stop coming in sick and browsing the forums for comfort at midnight and Steve yun I hope you finished this Santa

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I just got the parts today but it looks like the aquarium/pet fountain pump is too weak to even push water uphill two feet so I ordered a brewing pump that’s 5x as strong, coming in two days

Then I gotta drill the mouth hole and figure out how to run the tubing, tape down all the costuming and then I should be done

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Drilled pilot hole for spout

Also removed neck joint hardware so that I can run a tube through, drilled a hole in the torso and put a screw in the bottom of the head to serve as a janky fastener

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

2 weeks resting complete, the fruitcake is ready to serve.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyyjrLbnA4

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

The circle is complete.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Spending my Christmas with my parents, and food has been had:

Going round the plate clockwise, starting from the top: Caramelized pearl potatoes, potatoes with brown sauce covering them, pickled cucumbers, pickled beets, and pork roast with crackling.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's 3AM and I'm up cooking, so clearly it's a holiday. Happy Christmas, folks.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I suck at baking but yesterday I made for Christmas Eve:

* Bacon, mushrooms and spinach peirogies
* Spinach and feta tarte soliel
* Pretzel bites with a cheddar cheese dip
* Pigs in a blanket

Given my level of baking skill only the pigs in a blanket were a good idea but it all mostly turned out

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I made Chef Steps brussel sprouts slaw but half broccoli. It was the only green food we had at the table. Lots of potatoes because it's the Midwest.

More of it got eaten than expected so that's a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Eagerly awaiting photos of your wine puking santa. You're so weird Steve and I love it. Merry Christmas to everyone!