Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My nieces are all vegetarians now and they're coming this year to my family's competent but pretty traditional meat-focused southern thanksgiving feast, and unless I loving come to my senses fast I'm going to make kenji's ridiculous vegetables wellington from the ground up which will also put some mushroom gravy on the table so they can all go hog wild, because I'm a really good uncle. I was volunteered to do the collards and the country ham (thanks mom) but that's not even a huge deal in relation to this madness.

:siren: also, speaking of collards, you can make collards in the instant pot and break the seal outside to avoid stinking up your house :siren:. use high grade bird stock plus ham hock, onions, 1 serrano give or take and a couple of smoked turkey legs too if you're ambitious

Veritek83 posted:

I'm pretty excited to try the Bon Appetit Pecan-Rye Pumpkin Pie. Love the idea of rye flour in the pie crust.

I really want to make this, but there will already be a chocolate pecan pie and a bog standard pumpkin pie at thanksgiving and I probably already have enough on my plate. I can also recommend this totally different pureed pumpkin, pecan and booze pie, if anyone wants a more traditional pureed pumpkin pie with a little more going on:

Source: a Williams Sonoma dessert book

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Good mushroom or other gravy recipes I can make that don't require the meat juices? I really don't want powdered gravy at my family's dinner this year.

I made a batch of kenji's vegan stock this morning for this purpose: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/hearty-vegetable-stock-vegan-recipe.html

Haven't tried it yet but it smells really good, at least for vegan food

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

You can warm cold butter, refrigerated pie crusts and things of that nature perfectly to room temp in a microwave if to turn the power down to 2-3 (20-30% power) and check it every 20-30 sec. Expect it to take up to a few minutes for a lot of butter but it's actually foolproof as long as you don't wander off and let it go too far. Usually to do this you dial in the cook time, then press power level followed by 2 or 3 and start.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've made like 100 pies this week and all of them had industrial pie crusts except the one I'm serving to my family on thanksgiving, which has an all butter crust from scratch because I'm not some kind of monster

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

So far today:

• made collards
  • 1 hour argument with mom about collards
  • both boxes of phyllo I bought are hot garbage, sheets crumbling right out of the box, impossible to roll up anything in them, so the vegetable wellington is kaput and might become an ugly rear end pie

don't forget to drink and do drugs today to get through it