Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

This race owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Custard Undies posted:

Racing point is basically a 2019 Mercedes painted Pink.

They are going to finish ahead of Ferrari this year.

Stroll driver of the day

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So Mercedes invented a 2-axis steering wheel. Nice.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's not faked. He did for couple of laps, most of them putting a telemetry marker when using it. Seemed like he pulls it before a straight, and pushes it back before a slow corner. He stopped after the videos popped up everywhere. I can only assume F1 worldfeed noticed it, because they showed a lot of his onboards for couple of laps instead of showing the rest of the field.

e: oh, just saw the twitter post...yeah, that's what he did ;)

https://imgur.com/a/dcqVF7i

ee: it's crazy how much the front axle reacts in regard to toe.

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 20, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

spaceblancmange posted:

Williams tried that in 94.

:drat:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

Is there any reason that can't modify the brake bias at the same time? AFAIK the rule states it has to be a manual driver adjustment and you can't have presets?

When I saw the movement and made sure my eyes/camera angle weren't playing tricks on me, that was the first thing I assumed. But since he changes it the same amount of travel each time, I started to doubt it, as brake bias is changed couple of clicks before most cornes, not "55:45" to "51:49" on a regular basis (since the travel is quite big). It took me a while though to notice the front axle change. I wouldn't rule it out, though. But I haven't seen him go into a corner with the wheel pulled, so I assume he puts front axle geometry back to normal before braking. Sadly, he stopped doing it once everyone saw it :/

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 20, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I assume the same. If it actually is worth couple of tenths per lap, it will be banned, as other teams can't easily replicate it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Apparently Mercedes just confirmed that this is not for testing, but a system they will race, and it adjusts the toe and ride height of the front axle.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

FRICS 2.0 (allthough that was actually invented by Caterham)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Isabelle aiming for the top, much like Lance Stroll this year

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

the kentucky quid posted:

It’s a mechanical device which alters the aerodynamic performance of the car which I’m pretty sure is 100% Super Banned

Suspension parts are not allowed if they are designed in a way that they influence the aerodynamics/are part of the aerodynamics (ask Rebus, their front suspension was banned last year). So following this rule, as the suspension is currently deemed legal, changing it manually can't have an effect on aerodynamics because else the suspension would be banned. (of course this is all bullshit, but even the other teams currently say it's basically legal)

Jokes aside, I absolutely assume this thing will get banned, but it's Mercedes' last take at this before 21 when ride height change will be regulated. The Merc is known for changing the ride height especially on the front axle since years, teams are pushing the limits of POU suspension since at least one season, if not longer, and this is the final overture from Mercedes in that regard. It's peak F1, and it's great!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

the kentucky quid posted:

It’s changing the alignment of the suspension at every degree of steering input, don’t be ridiculous

The regulations state that with a fixed steering wheel, change on the direction the wheels face or change of the inner diameter of the wheels is only allowed in vertical movement of the suspension.

The wheel is pretty clearly not fixed. It turns, and turmbones. Everything is fine.

e: here:

[quote "some guy at FIA"]
10.2.1 With the steering wheel fixed, the position of each wheel centre and the orientation of its rotation axis must be completely and uniquely defined by a function of its principally vertical suspension travel, save only for the effects of reasonable compliance which does not intentionally provide further degrees of freedom.
[/quote]

They are doing nothing wrong, it's just a way for Lewis to get in there quicker

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 20, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rebus posted:

Anything exposed to the air is an aero part. The tyres especially so.

Sprung or unsprung?

1.4 Bodywork :
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras,
camera housings, rear view mirrors as defined in Article 14.3, ERS status lights, the secondary
roll structure and associated fixings and fairings and the parts definitely associated with the
mechanical functioning of the engine, transmission and running gear. Airboxes, radiators and
engine exhausts are considered to be part of the bodywork.

3.8 Aerodynamic influence
With the exception of the parts described in Articles 11.4, 11.5 and 11.6, and the rear view
mirrors described in Article 14.3, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic
performance :
a) Must comply with the rules relating to bodywork.
b) Must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not
having any degree of freedom).
With the exception of the driver adjustable bodywork described in Article 3.6.8 (in addition to
minimal parts solely associated with its actuation) and the parts described in Articles 11.4, 11.5
and 11.6, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance must remain
immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.
Any device or construction that is designed to bridge the gap between the sprung part of the
car and the ground is prohibited under all circumstances.
No part having an aerodynamic influence and no part of the bodywork, with the exception of
the parts referred to in Articles 3.7.10, 3.7.11 and 3.7.12, may under any circumstances be
located below the reference plane.
With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.6.8, any car
system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the
aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited.

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 20, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's cool and good, though!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rebus posted:

I have no idea if it's legal or not.

What do you know about front suspension, rear mirrors and why did you design them?

No, gently caress that, I'm actually happy to see Williams closer/with the pack. The performance last year really hurt. I know that first week of testing is smoke and mirrors, but I really hope for a packed midfield without a real backsetter, and really hope Williams will be able to fight the other midfield teams for points or even dominate that field (fighting with Ferrari).

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 20, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's not changing the suspension. Teams tried to use that rule against Mercedes already, and it seems that if the change is purely induced by the steering component of the front axle, it's not a part of the suspension.

Of course this is also bullshit, because all teams have rear axles that steer dependant on load, and that's not purely vertical.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Also everyone is missing the most important question about the last two days: why is Ocon's head higher than the halo? How could they make a car which they couldn't fit the driver into? The next time you hear a buzzing sound at Renault, I assume it's a bone saw.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

What does this mean? The angle changes relative to the front axle?

All(?) teams have passive steering on the rear axle, as much as the regulations allow.

Big Huski Boi posted:

Ocon is tall and the halo isn't rollover protection.

gently caress safety, I'm talking about aerodynamics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

Bad news everyone, steering is banned because it changes the aerodynamics of the car. Braking is banned now too, also acceleration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWhA5DBuLJw&t=44s