Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Azathoth posted:

My dude, operate a charity fund where you specifically treat anyone asking for accountability with sneering contempt. If you're not going to make even the barest minimum effort to not look shady as hell, you shouldn't be surprised when people assume the worst about you.

Either address the legitimate calls for reasonable transparency, something with another fund on this website operated the same way manages, and which a second fund (whose thread you decided to poo poo on this morning) is trying to do, or deal with people calling your character into question. Simple as.

If you look at the most recent post in the other thread, it's starting to seem like if plinkey wanted to run this like the UK fund (e.g., above the board) he'd need at least 1 full time certified accountant to keep it straight.

Even just skimming the IRS documents make me feel pretty drat certain that other fund is not gonna be able to get off the ground without money coming in to bootstrap the organizational infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

City Slicker posted:

The flipside of that means that the fund - as it stands - may be operating illegally and exposing Plinkey to a huge personal tax liability.

In previous posts, he has claimed he has been paying this on his personal taxes? It would be good to confirm if that's the case.

Even if it takes a bit more work (though I doubt it's the work of a full time accountant beyond the initial setup), it might be worth doing this properly to safeguard future of the fund? Otherwise, the whole thing could come crashing down when the IRS comes knocking - which it may very well do once Patreon starts reporting earnings directly.

He's claiming it as income and probably just disbursing the money through whatever digital means as a gift. That gets him past the distribution tracking and uncle sam doesn't give a poo poo because he's getting his beak wet.

Doing poo poo tax-free is not surprisingly more onerous for everyone involved.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Schir posted:

it feels weird that plinkey posted this like an hour ago and then everyone keeps saying he's continuing to refuse to address the concerns people have about transparency

Also not cool that Az is perpetuating insinuations with the authority of his position in spite of that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Azathoth posted:

It will be good and do a lot to address concerns when he does that. I hope he follows through with that and doesn't just not do it, like when he said he was gonna set up as a proper charity a couple years ago and then didn't do that.

You are straight up openly hostile to Plinkey right now. I hope you can see that.
If you know something, say it.

If not, you're just making things worse by amplifying baseless speculation that requires you actively ignoring the good that has come from the existence of the fund. And you're doing that as an admin.

He said he provided information to Jeff, is going to provide additional information in time.
Antagonism based on "this doesn't feel right" is not constructive.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Azathoth posted:

I've looked into setting up a 501(c)(3) before and I would very much like him to detail why the fund is hard to set up because I'm not seeing it. There's numerous platforms that will do all the reporting stuff for less than Patreon is taking, and offer accountability and all I've heard back is vague "it would be too hard".

did you miss the part where he needs to incorporate and then pay a corporate tax lawyer and, depending on how he disburses the funds/various state laws, is require to track PII from the recipients who are then also on the hook to report the funds as income (taking more money they don't have)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The red star seeped into Az so quickly. I'm sorry friend, if I'd known this would be what became of you I'd have never nominated you.

It's not too late. Cast it aside, return to the bird thread. There still may be enough of you left.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Straight up a
"How do you know he is a witch"

well 'e looks like one! Burn him

Come the gently caress on, Az you were supposed to be the good one

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm sure the beloved community member of nearly 2 decades who is also employed and wealthy by his own means decided after all that time to start skimming from a charity fund

that makes sense on the basis that the same people who are always trying to destroy parts of cspam said it was the case

brilliant detective work, Azathoth you've cracked the loving case wide open on this one

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's like if the man with no name rode into town, shot the coffin maker and the bartender, then rode out
the situation is not only unresolved, it's made all the worse and stranger for his involvement

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ram dass in hell posted:

this is what you're doing Az! Hope you feel great about it! Keep up the good work chief!

but his "friends" in the not-just-surrogate-drama thread are clapping him on the back
he did good, you see

we're all proud of what you've become, Az

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Azathoth posted:

Okay, mean culpa time. I'm reading over my posts and I'm embarrassed.

I got heated and I hosed up, said things I shouldn't have said and I'd like to personally apologize to Plinkey. He's said he will address the accountability concerns and I should have taken him at his word on that. He's done more real world good than I have, by a large margin, and that should and does count for something. I'm sorry that I made someone who used the fund feel like they needed to come here and defend it, and talk about personal stuff.

I was over the line and I am truly sorry.

I hope you realize you got spun up in this the same exact way that crew used to play fluffdaddy
like beat for beat, it's the same cycle playing out

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Azathoth posted:

I hate this, but yeah.

oh
well

good on you for seeing it and admitting mistakes
please don't destroy yourself in the name of your position

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ram dass in hell posted:

hey Az you forgot to take your worthless lackey with you, I think he's lost

imagine being relegated to the "Biff's sidekick with the 3d glasses" of posters

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Even the well-meaning UK goons are from a country that is not explicitly designed to make tax exempt charity drat near impossible

The US wants its share
and it wants to make sure it's getting its share
if you're not an actual accountant you don't know how the gently caress hard it is to set up a charitable organization in a country where operating with 25% going to overhead expenses is considered a best case scenario

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

between the 20% patreon cut and taxes supposedly being paid on this stuff by accepting 36k in additional income, 25% of donations going ot operating expenses would be an improvement i think

cool, so before you get to a stable operating cost you also have to front several thousand to lawyers and accountants to get started
so who's paying that, should that come from a different fund than the aid fund do you reckon

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The fund may have lost a lot of money and goons in need may go hungry
but for a short time, the admins felt popular and their friends got some brain tingles out of breaking something so who's really to say what was good or bad

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Probably, it's a goon project. That's not really what happened though, is it? We got a bunch of trolls throwing a huge tantrum across three subforums because they don't like the idea of people getting help to buy food. Then they set up their own fund that will never every get off the ground because they didn't actually care in the first place.

Spite can be a powerful motivator but I am sincerely intrigued to see if it's strong enough to contend with the glacial bureaucracy of US tax code and corporate legal requirements

If they actually go through all of that and get it incorporated I will eat every word of my skepticism

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think Jeff has made the right decision and I'm very interested in what the guy's response will be. I legitimately don't know if he can run the fund under those conditions, basic as they are. Jeff, what happens if he can't furnish those things?

it's all in the numbers

Goons go cold and hungry and people cheer that as a victory

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jarofpiss posted:

it's not being stolen if it's being funded by no-strings-attached patreon subscriptions? are you the kind of person that hands a homeless person a sandwich instead of money because you're worried they'll spend it wrong?

More the sort that walks by without making eye contact while concocting a backstory in their head about how it's that person's fault for being homeless, they're probably a dangerous drug addict - and then later laughing with friends about how weird this person they saw was, muttering those crazy things

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jarofpiss posted:

wrong i paid upwards of $25 to the goon fund and i am entitled to the returns on my investment

i know im breathtakingly stupid, but i think maybe you are missing my point that treating everything as if it is some high stakes billion dollar gates foundation charity drive that requires board members and audits and elections and reports is overkill and stupid for a project like the goon fund with such a stated limited scope that it was arguably fulfilling. and perhaps the fact that many goons appear to have a deep internal need to turn it in to that sort of charity is something they should reflect on

who said anything about revolution?

there is no point in arguing, there isn't any issue here to "win" on
this is the same old story of some middle-aged posters arrested developmentally in their teen years saw an unlocked car and decided to take it out for a joy ride and set it on fire because they were bored

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Slanderer posted:

this is pathetic

Yeah, but with any luck in another decade or two they should grow out of it and contented in senility.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Has any of the concern/insinuation come from people that have actually given money to this fund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fun hater posted:

so you have to give money to the fund to have an opinion on it, but if you dont like how its run then dont give money to it. ????

i do

at this point, yeah
you're not the government, if people want to throw their money in the black box let them
if you don't want to, give money to the other fund
go help people

I think everybody involved is sufficiently aware some random people with no affiliation suggested Plinkey may have spent money inappropriately. Put it in the first post in big red letters for all I loving care just get the gently caress over it already, let this go back to being a banal thread where people can ask for money without having to wade through pages of this bullshit and let the other thread have your money