Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Obviously there has been a lot of discussion here and elsewhere. I've read dozens of testimonials of people helped by this fund. I recognize that administering something like this involves a great deal of hard, emotionally intense work. I don't want to say anything to diminish the serious positive impact it has made on its beneficiaries' lives.

I, however, am frustrated at *how* this has been run. The forums staff and I are not equipped to personally vet any sort of goon-run charitable organization. I refuse to be a link in that accountability chain - any fund that runs via this site has to show accountability on its own. I can respect that you forthrightly stated from the getgo that you will not be doing that, but given that the fund is so large, continuing with that policy would be a reckless choice.

I can appreciate the diy "just give help asap" nature of how this started, but it has grown too big for that to hold. Over $3000 is a lot of money to give out each month. If only for the security of the people who depend on it, I must insist you take measures to correct this at once. I am happy to give you a chance to bring things up to a reasonable standard, but it is not optional for the fund to be run in a way that doesn't allow any exploitation of goons' good intentions.

Plinkey posted:

i talked to Jeff, next month I'll post a public spreadsheet
This is a start. I would like to hear exactly what is going to be on this spreadsheet, and how often will we see updates. Money in, money out, and money total would be the bare minimum. I also must insist that the money from the fund goes to its own bank account, dedicated for just this purpose.

Lastly, please someone you trust who is authorized to act on behalf of the fund. I assume this step will take the longest but it really is for the best. You should not just personally doing all of this. That doesn't have to mean they have access to everyone's personal information, but a lot of people depend on this fund, and you ought to make sure someone is around to operate it if you are unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

We are genuinely concerned, which is why most of our posts are about how terrible a human being Plinkey is based on zero evidence and also making fun of people asking for help. Also making another fund and immediately debating just jow much should we help people really? Let’s means test this.
Well, for what it's worth, I am doing this to address my own concerns more than anyone else's. I run this site and I don't want to leave a gap whereby its members can be taken advantage of, even if I do not believe that they are. The steps I'm asking for are not serious structural changes and I'm not asking the fund to halt operations or do anything disruptive. They are, in fact, extremely basic and likely to make this easier, and not more difficult to run.

I certainly don't appreciate the fan fiction people have written about Plinkey over the last week. It is obnoxious that people are trying to get epic burns on the people who support this charity and I'm sorry my post inspired more of that, but core issue there is real and I want to see it corrected.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I probated Plinkey indefinitely with some pretty serious terms - I must insist that he no longer be in charge of the goonfund. Responding to inquiries with a tantrum is too ridiculous and destructive for me. I don't like that it's come to this, but the bar I set for him was really low. Finding another operator for the fund is simply the only way that this can continue.

I made it a probation and not an immediate permaban in hopes that the money already in the patreon can go to helping goons in need. If he doesn’t show some follow through in one week, he will be permabanned.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Status update here.

Plinkey has communicated to me that he is ceasing operations. He has sent me a spreadsheet of november payouts, and indicates he is issuing refunds to anyone who paid in December. He has sent me a spreadsheet of "refund status" with all December donors, showing who has already been refunded. He has indicated that he needs a response to an email in order to issue a refund.

People who have donated to the fund can help here. Please let me know, via PM or email, if you've gotten a refund or email from plinkey about a refund for December. Please include your patreon email address. I cannot possibly verify every donor got a refund personally, but I would still like to have a sampling.

I have edited out the patreon link and changed the title of this thread to indicate it is defunct.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Alright. First and foremost, yeah, it's unacceptable how long I've taken to report back on this. I'm sorry for that - it's one of many things that got away from me and that's not really remotely acceptable.

This situation has a bunch of unknowns, and answers no one can have but plinkey. I won't pretend to be a financial auditor and it's not really possible for me to have certainty of anything.

Plinkey has:
- Shut down the fund.
- Sent me a list of payouts for November along with the total in the fund. This was as I asked.
- Sent me a spreadsheet listing "refund status" for December payments.

He conveyed to me that, when I told him to shut it down, the december autopayment had already been initiated to move money to the fund's account, and he began offering people refunds manually. He emailed each donor and offered their money back. Some of them told him to keep it, and some of them accepted a refund. Many people confirmed to me they received these refund offers. According to Plinkey, no one has responded to one of these refund offers since December. However, the majority of the donors did not respond at all. So, I am going to ask both here and in the original goonfund thread- did anyone at all give money in December, expect to see a refund, and not get an email about it?

My inclination is to free him if no one reports that they have not been offered a refund. As far as I can tell, he has complied and done what I've asked of him. I have not seen any direct signs of wrongdoing here.