Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
ice him. he's unreliable as all hell, his word can't be trusted, he's got a kill count and he doesn't seem to actually give a poo poo that he has a kill count and has, in fact, revelled in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I say kill him too, he couldn't even be bothered to lie and say he didn't think someone killing themselves for art was a good thing.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Kobanya posted:

I'm going with give Calli her powers back if only because I really don't think Stan should keep it. He says he's not going to cause people to kill themselves, but for all we know, he's going to try to gently nudge people with creative energy, only to accidentally whammy them again.

Personally, I feel the best option would be to give it to June (and maybe it'll do that if we murder Stan, but it's not guaranteed and we haven't really directly killed anyone yet, from what I recall), so this is probably the best option.

Also, notably when we said, "Stan? Earlier, you said 'dying to create art' was a triumph. Do you still feel that way?", Stan didn't answer us directly, he just said he would "try" not to murder people again. He really seems like the kinda guy that would keep making excuses when his Muse powers drove people to death. "Oh, I didn't mean to! I'm still learning! Give me another chance!"

Better it to be in the hands of an experienced person that knows the right amount of creative energy to impart on someone, than this guy who just opens the fire hose, as it were. Additionally, Calli was saying that she was feeling tired, and I'm wondering if that's because she either needs the Muse energy to keep going, or Stan's misuse of it was draining her somehow, since it was originally her power. Or maybe a side-effect of when the demon yanked it out of her, idk.

I was under the impression that it was because she herself got caught by Stan carelessly inspiring everyone in range and she's kept spouting terrible poetry into an empty bar for hours without rest.

As for the choice itself, forcing Calliope to take the power back seems like the least terrible option by a slim margin.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 14, 2020

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Force Calliope to go back to her poo poo job seems like the correct decision because all else being equal we should generally be undoing the demon loving with stuff, and Stan is probably going to get more people killed before he figures it out

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The choices here seem pretty crappy, but drat that dude just doesn't seem at all repentant.

Still, I think it's worth a shot to let him keep the powers.

Also, maybe I missed something, but did the game ever say out right what happened to Kevin's parents?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Execution

He's both unrepentant and evasive. He tried to avoid even admitting he talked to that guy that burned himself to death. And when the questions got a bit uncomfortable, he decided to just zap us to deal with us, which makes me think he was trying to kill us on purpose.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So is this the first instance of us going on an expedition where demon us didn’t cause the problem? I don’t remember, did we cause the dragon stuff somehow?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Warbird posted:

So is this the first instance of us going on an expedition where demon us didn’t cause the problem? I don’t remember, did we cause the dragon stuff somehow?

They confirmed that Demon Us is the one who took Calliope's muse powers and gave them to Uncle Murder.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 14, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ah ok. I'm surprised that hasn't come back up again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Warbird posted:

I don’t remember, did we cause the dragon stuff somehow?

Tiggum posted:

"I... killed your parents?"

It's your fault. This is all your fault! I can't put her back.

Warbird posted:

Ah ok. I'm surprised that hasn't come back up again.

Tiggum posted:

Of course you don't have a muse. You ARE a muse.

... Are you insane? Or am I?

"It's my fault. Kind of. It's complicated."

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Force Calliope to take the power back.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Oof. This is a tough choice. (Aside from killing him. That option is off the table, it's just plain flat-out wrong)

I want to let people be happy, and just let him keep it. But he really doesn't seem unrepentant, or capable of restraining himself. But... Mandana didn't say he was lying when he promised to try to tone it down. He is sincere about that. But sincerity aside, is he capable? Trust him with joy, or make both unhappy but be more responsible? Argh! This is a fantastic moral dilemma.

I'm going to distill it down to: practicality and conservative defensiveness vs hope. And when I put it in those terms, I have to go with hope. It's a scary sort of hope, but... I think I've got to go with it. Trust him to use the power more responsibly in the future.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Take your powers back, Cali.
Being a muse is your job. I’m sorry it makes you unable to enjoy the result of it, but art related anhedonia is no reason to let a fickle octogenarian be a magic time bomb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aumanor posted:

As for the choice itself, forcing Calliope to take the power back seems like the least terrible option by a slim margin.

Then that's what we'll do.

I killed him in my first playthrough, just because he's such a complete arsehole.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"Calli, please. Take back your power."

I won't do it. No. I'm... HAPPY. For the first time in thousands of years. You can't make me go back. You can't.

"You'd seriously let this man die?"

Yes I would! I would let him die a hundred times!

Does that make me an awful person? I don't care.

Calliope. This is quite... selfish.

I don't CARE. I don't want to go back.

I have more books to read and food to eat and films to see and songs to sing and...

I just need more time. Please.

"Calli. Take back your power. We'll force you, if necessary."

You... what?

You WOULDN'T.

I am sorry, old friend. We cannot allow anymore bloodshed.

Don't "old friend" me. You do this, we are no longer friends.

...understood.

Stan was never meant to have this power. We're just... resetting the status quo.

I was right to mistake you for Aldin. You're not so different after all.

I... don't WANT to do this.

Okay. DON'T.

I thought the Unavowed fought EVIL.

This... isn't fair. It isn't right. You KNOW it isn't. Think about what you're doing. Please.

"Take back your power, Calli. We won't ask again."

I hate you. I hate you ALL.

But I don't have a choice, do I?

No. You do not.

Well, Stan. Looks like neither of us gets what we want today.

Is this... going to hurt?

Yep.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Calli sure is a whiny baby about taking the power to blow peoples' heads up out of the hands of a crazy person who thinks nothing of blowing peoples' heads up with it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
She’s spent thousands of years unable to appreciate art at all and living an existence devoid of passion or soul, a few months tasting what it’s like with it is just enough to make going back to that even shittier. Flowers for Algernon except you’re immortal instead of dying.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeah, it sucks. But now she knows it's possible to transfer her power, and since she's immortal she has forever to find and train a suitable replacement who won't casually kill people.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Tons of people live with depression, Callie.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

This is what I ended up doing, one of the harder choices in the game imo. The try not to do direct harm option with the police chief backfiring scared me off the ‘hope things just work out’ route.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How much you wanna bet when we finally catch up with the demon it tries to make us feel bad about this as if we didn't literally stop bakers slitting their wrists into the pastry dough

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

She’s spent thousands of years unable to appreciate art at all and living an existence devoid of passion or soul, a few months tasting what it’s like with it is just enough to make going back to that even shittier. Flowers for Algernon except you’re immortal instead of dying.

I was thinking The Last Unicorn

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
The Last Unicorn wasn't nearly that opposed to returning to unicorn-hood.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Tell me Callie smiles like this when she says her final "Yep." That look of sadism is just hilarious.

Good point about maybe finding other temporary hosts for the power, that seems like a great solution. Too bad the great ideas never get explored in setting.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

WarpedLichen posted:

Tell me Callie smiles like this when she says her final "Yep." That look of sadism is just hilarious.

Good point about maybe finding other temporary hosts for the power, that seems like a great solution. Too bad the great ideas never get explored in setting.

Thats the flaw with every game. Players figure out ideal or flat out better solutions then the developers envison or wanted

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This may sound odd but I feel like this is the hardest choice we've had to make up until now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've been a bit lazy about including videos in recent updates, so I'm going back to add some. For convenience, I'm also posting them here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S2bwC0bRyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcooXDVHxZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RChtRhsfDGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4xYO_1JRno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC82KKGqddc

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 27, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"I can barely move. How tired am I?"

"C'mon, Paige. Time to get up.... NOW."

*yawn*

"Why am I walking? STOP WALKING."

*sigh* More rain. Too bad I can't do anything about that. Yet.

"HELP!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLjLzKWks1g

Ah. You are awake. Good.

"Help! I'm not in control!"

Did I oversleep? Sorry about that.

It is no matter. I used the extra time for training.

I was gonna say. It's good to see you back at it.

It feels good, as well. The routine... helps.

"She's a DEMON. Listen to her voice! She sounds nothing like me!"

Is Eli downstairs? I thought I'd check in on him.

He is rarely anywhere else.

Okay. I'll leave you to your training.

Thank you.

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!"

"Eli! Can you hear me? Please hear me."

Hey Eli!

Oh. Hey. Just a sec. What's up?

"What's up is I'M POSSESSED AGAIN!"

Just wanted to check in before we head out again. Everything OK?

Yeah sure. I'm still... processing everything from last night. The look on Calliope's face... To strip your own humanity away like that. It was necessary, but... Well, I guess it's complicated. Huh?

"We have bigger problems! There's a demon in front of your face!"

It was the only way to avoid anyone dying. I call that a win.

Yeah. Yeah. You're right.

"HELP!"

Urf.

Something wrong?

Nothing. Sorry. Just... a headache. It's nothing. How about you head upstairs?

Yeah. Sure. See you there.

Listen, you. I fought tooth and nail to get back into this body, and I'm not giving it up again now. So you stay CALM and you stay QUIET until I figure out how to shut you up for good.

"This is MY body. Not yours."

WAS your body. Past tense. Now it's mine.

So... just RELAX would you?

I can't focus with you jabbering away in my head.

"That's MY head. And don't you forget it."

Semantics. I'm in charge now. You're just a passenger. It doesn't matter. You'll go to sleep in time. Just like you did before. I'll just have to ignore you till then.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

:suspense:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tiggum posted:

I can't focus with you jabbering away in my head.

well, now I have a strategy should I find my body possessed:
Nonstop dance/electropunk music party in my head.
I wanna be a hippy and I want to get stoned...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh good, the game isn't entirely just chasing after a missing villain. So nice to see the antagonist take a more active role in the story.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Uh. I was not expecting that.

I noticed this earlier, too, but the videos don't match the writings of what we see in the in the LP. The demon never says "Semantics", for example. Why's that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

I noticed this earlier, too, but the videos don't match the writings of what we see in the in the LP. The demon never says "Semantics", for example. Why's that?

The player character is unvoiced and I didn't want to include the written dialogue options in the video because I find it a bit jarring to have a mix of voiced and unvoiced characters - and I would have had to think about how long to leave them on-screen as I was playing, and make sure my mouse pointer wasn't obscuring anything - so I cut them. But that means some NPC lines lack context and wouldn't make sense, so I cut those as well. The result, I hope, is that the videos serve to provide a bit of extra characterisation and show off the voice acting and animations - but they're not meant to be a complete alternative to the transcriptions.

I've also rearranged lines and joined separate conversations together in a few places just to make it flow a bit better. The way the dialogue's structured makes sense from a game design perspective but wouldn't always translate well to a more passive narrative format. For example, to ask Calliope about the bagels you have to go into the poetry slam, talk to her to get her off stage, end the conversation, then use the bagel from your inventory on her. But I didn't bother including the unimportant parts of that process.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck us, I guess.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I really like how this scene is done. At this point you're so used to the wake-up-after-mission scene that when you click around and can't do anything, you're more likely to think "wait, did my game freeze?" over anything being wrong in-world. Then you start getting prompts to tell yourself to wake up, so you start thinking "oh, maybe the MC is just really tired." Even when the MC starts walking around on their own there's still only a feeling of :confused: rather than fear. It's only once the MC actually speaks that you finally get the "ohhhhh, gently caress" realization.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It is a really well done scene. You can really feel the creeping horror.

Tiggum posted:

The player character is unvoiced and I didn't want to include the written dialogue options in the video because I find it a bit jarring to have a mix of voiced and unvoiced characters - and I would have had to think about how long to leave them on-screen as I was playing, and make sure my mouse pointer wasn't obscuring anything - so I cut them. But that means some NPC lines lack context and wouldn't make sense, so I cut those as well. The result, I hope, is that the videos serve to provide a bit of extra characterisation and show off the voice acting and animations - but they're not meant to be a complete alternative to the transcriptions.

I've also rearranged lines and joined separate conversations together in a few places just to make it flow a bit better. The way the dialogue's structured makes sense from a game design perspective but wouldn't always translate well to a more passive narrative format. For example, to ask Calliope about the bagels you have to go into the poetry slam, talk to her to get her off stage, end the conversation, then use the bagel from your inventory on her. But I didn't bother including the unimportant parts of that process.

Wow. That's a lot of work to go through. Hat's off to you!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I knew we shouldn't have eaten that bagel

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
As someone born and raised in Brooklyn and near Prospect Park the liberties taken with local geography was hilarious. I get why but it’s the closest I’ve ever felt to the uncanny valley feeling about something other than a face.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wait, how can anyone lie to Mandana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Did she lie to Mandana?