Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
It Follows
Avengers: Infinity War
The Joker
Midsommar
The VVitch
Heriditary
Unfriended
Mad Max Fury Road
V/H/S 2
Dredd
Skyfall
Spectre
John Wick
Mandy
CAM
Shin Godzilla
Us
Logan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Phoenix is just such an unrepentant evil gently caress in Gladiator. He's the best part of the movie.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Basebf555 posted:

Phoenix also delivered one of the best performances of 2017/18 in You Were Never Really Here. So between Her, The Master, Inherent Vice, You Were Never Really Here, and Joker, I do think you can make a strong argument that he's the actor of the decade. The Sisters Brothers was very good too but he didn't stand out quite as much in that one.

For me his performance in Joker is one of the best of the decade if only because he was able to sidestep a lot of those issues that the film could have fell into (incel propaganda etc) and fully form the character as someone who, while someone you can truly feel bad for, you still know is rotten. Hell, that bathroom dance scene by all accounts should have been one of the worst scenes of the year but he managed (with the help of the soundtract tbf) to make a really powerful and beautiful moment out of it.

Really this dovetails into why I'm debating if my favorite film of the decade is Joker. I went into it willing to roll my eyes at a movie that jerked itself off over ~PC CULTURE~ and was a training tool for incels to hurt people, but it never felt like it was a celebration of this ~BADASS JOKER KILLER WHO KILLS THE CUCKS~ rather than a look at how miserable and awful life can be for those with mental instabilities (full disclosure, I have had mental issues in the past and still do) who are in the worst circumstances.

I felt bad for Arthur, but the film does a great job at showing how with no help, no positive outlets, in a time and place where mental illness is ignored or mocked someone with those issues can stew and become toxic and form into a violent killer.

OpenSourceBurger fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 12, 2019

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

sean10mm posted:

It's too bad the Joker thread is so full of shitposting BROUGHT TO YOU BY GANG WEED or whatever.

It sucks because I really love comic movies and stuff like that but every thread dedicated to them here devolves into "comic movies? you mean bullshit baby movies for stupid loving idiots?"