Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Sign-ups Open!

Welcome to the first second third fourth (!) Fountain Pen Something Awful Secret Santa! All countries and regions can participate, so long as your account is at least three months old. Newbies, we’ll get you next time.

Participants will exchange gifts valued around $20-30 USD ($25-30 CAD), but used ink samples/bottles or secondhand pens are fine as long as they’re clean. Gift cards are cool too. Check with your post office for shipping costs. Keep in mind that some goons live in places that freeze, which may affect ink. Another option is to ship directly from a shop like Goulet or Wonderpens.

Want to play?

First, send me an email at FountainPensSA@gmail.com. The subject line should say FPSASS18 <YourUserName>. In that email, please include:

Your SA Profile link:
(Optional) Your FountainPenNetwork Profile link:
Name:
Address:
Where you’re willing to ship to: Anywhere? European only, North American only? Other? Outer space? Farther the better?
Also include additional relevant information that you don’t want to publicly post, like maybe your Amazon wishlist.

Secondly, please post in this thread with your Dear Santa. You can tell Santa anything, but especially:

What you love, what you’d like to try, or what you definitely do not want.
What you already have. (Link to a Google Spreadsheet with your ink collection. You can also include this in your email to me if you’re concerned about privacy.)
If you’re cool with NSFW packaging or content. (Dong glitter exists. Just say’n.)
How you use your pens. (Art? Organization? Nanowrimo-ing?)
The shops you prefer, so your Santa can choose a gift-card.

Try to be open-minded about what you might get. $20 doesn’t go far with fountain pens! Hopefully everyone can be matched up, but if you live in Africa and no one is willing to ship outside of North America or Europe you might not be matchable. I’ll do my best.

Most exchanges have a deadbeat. We may vilify and shame them, depending on circumstances, but I’ll probably ask for volunteers to take on an extra Santees in January once the dust settles. I cannot promise that you won’t be deadbeated, as it’s out of my hands.

In summary, the rules are:
Send me an application email, and post in the thread. (Put your username and the number 19 in the subject line!) -- ie. FPSASS19 Pixelante.
Don’t play unless you can afford to send a value of at least $20 USD, with shipping fees on top of that.
If you aren’t okay with NSFW packaging or content, mention it in your Dear Santa post.
Label ink samples clearly.
Get your package in the mail before the 20th of December, preferably sooner.
Don’t be a deadbeat and stiff your Santee without warning. If poo poo happens and you can’t follow through, let me know.

FAQ

* your Santa will almost certainly be different than your Santee.
* you do not have to reveal your identity to your Santee, but I think it's fun.
* you may open your present when you receive it. If you prefer to wait til Christmas day, go for it.
* it's very nice to post a thank-you to your Santa, but not obligatory.
* I'm not going to put a hit out on anyone who shipped too late to miss Christmas Day, but do try. Remember that shipping is way cheaper if you leave it lots of time.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Dear Santa,

All the evidence is circumstantial at best, so from a legal perspective, I've been very good.

I'm pretty much a magpie when it comes to fountain pens. The brighter, shinier and more garish, the better. I do, however, have about three million bottles of blue ink, so I probably don't need any more of that. NSFW packaging is totally fine, nobody will care.

At this point, I'm starting to think that I buy fountain pen solely so I can work on the nibs. I know that's weird.

Amazon.ca is a solid choice for a GC.

grack

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

In general are there a good amount of euros in the FP secret santas? Wouldn't want to be super inconvenient if I sign up

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Xun posted:

In general are there a good amount of euros in the FP secret santas? Wouldn't want to be super inconvenient if I sign up

Each year we've had at least two folks outside of North America. Sign up and see what happens. If you're unmatchable, I'll let you know. It's always an option to place an order on Goulet or Amazon and ship directly to your Santee, so inter-continental Santees aren't a deal-breaker for a lot of people.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Dear Santa Claus

Despite posting in these here forums, I promise I've otherwise been good. I mostly use my pens at work at a hospital, so I'm a big user of more serious looking blues, greens, reds and blacks, but what's the point of samples if not trying out something different? I'm super into Chinese weirdo pens and waterproof inks.

Pens I own and love:
Pilot: a pile of metros, M through F.
Lamy: Safaris in F and EF, All Star in EF, 2000 in F.
Kaweko: Liliput in M (RIP lost because too small)
China pens: PenBBS 350 in whatever size they come in (F?) Moonman M2, Wing Sung 601A, Weird Lamy Safari Clone
TWBSI: Eco in B and F, Classic in EF, GO in EF, VAC70.
Pelikan: M205 Fine, Jazz in medium.
Italix: Parson's Prescriptor in fine italic: my new favorite.
Fountain Pen Revolution: Jaipur in various nibs, meh feed.

Inks I own or have sampled:
1. Pilot: Yama-Guri (so pretty), Shin-Ryoku, Asa-Gao, Tsuki-Yo, Kon-Peki
2. Sailor: Tokiwa-Matsu (one of my faves for work), Kobe Maiko, Miruai (left a really nice stain on my lab coat), Irori (Super nice neon red for highlighting stuff)
3. R & K: Verdura (another daily workhorse for charting), Alt-Goldgrun, Smadgadgrun, Verdigris.
4. Noodler's: Raven Black, General of the Armies, Blue upon the plains of Abraham, Midnight Blue (v. nice sheen), Bernanke Black, Borealis Black, Nikita, Tianamen, Navy.
5. Diamine: Sherwood Green (Main workhorse at work), Denim, Kelly Green, Ancient Copper, Bilberry (another fave at work), Oxblood.
6. Kyo No Oto: Adzukiro (seems to clog my metro easily, but really lovely colour), Hisoku, Nurebairo, Yamabukiiro, Aonibi.
7. Pelikan: Olivine (really nice, shame it's a LE)
8. J-Herbin: Gris Nuage: I am a boring person who writes on white paper so very limited appeal to me.

Bring on the horrifying goon abominations. Just not on the outer packaging please, the lady at the post office wouldn't appreciate that. (It's super cold here, please specify for delivery with signature)

I mostly use my pens to chart patient files at work, with some occasional doodling at home, so my main attraction to FPs is good ink capacity and decent handling.

Shops: I'm a big fan of wonder pens, but am open to any others that ship to Canada.

Hope the elves don't filch your good pen!

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Dear Santa,

I'm a paper dork. If you have a notebook or kind of paper you love, I'd love to check it out. A4 to A7, it's all good. Any kind of gridded/dotted/blank/etc is good except plain ruled. Less than a hundred pages if possible, so I can fill it up more quickly.
Notebooks I've enjoyed
Clairfontaine grid A4 spiral-bound
Rhodia dot A4 stapled
Mnemosyne grid A6, A4 spiral-bound
Kokuyo Campus ruled-dot B5, A6 perfect bound
Kokuyo grid A7 soft-ring
Kyokuto Memori dotted-grid B5 perfect bound
Tomoe River blank A5 perfect bound

Inks, I like blues and greens. This year I had a sample of Oster's African Gold which was a gorgeous yellow ocher.

Pens, I think I have too many, so no more please.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Xun posted:

I am euro and I just signed up, so we can inconvenience people together :)

Yes:

I... am happy with about anything, actually.

- I mostly do cheap vintage pens and enjoy thoroughly breaking fixing them as a hobby, so I may be the exception here and say that if you find something cool for $20 or less that is dirty, covered in old ink, scratched to hell, discoloured like a sunbathing book, burned like a tourist in the Spanish summer, needs a sac or has a bent nib or everything at once, send it my way! We do not get many interesting things down here in Spain that aren't Parkers (tons of Parkers!). No-name, third-tier pens are more than OK, just make it interesting; it's funnier to do work in a pen with pretty colors or a cool shape or size than on an old plain black one. Anyway, I'll do whatever I can, and I promise to show you the results! (no guarantees though, but if all goes south I promise I'll find the poor pen some new use, as a chopstick or something. Pics will still be provided).

- Otherwise, I know next to nothing about new pens, but for what I have seen, there are some very interesting chinese cheap ones that I would not mind trying :). Again, pretty, shiny colors appreciated, there's enough black pens in the world!

- Another thing I have not much of is ink. Again, not that easy to find nice ones here. I have basic Sheaffer colors (black, red, green, purple), some Diamine Blue and some Blackbird Puffin Orange. I have no idea about inks (other that you do not use irongall inks on your pens - still have a cheap nib that was soaked in it for a good number of years, the poor thing has holes on it) so, again, shiny and pretty is good, colors I do not have are good, cheap and plentiful is good.

- A cool spare nib! There's always an old pen that needs it replaced kicking around. Just, please make sure you send just the nib, and not a nib unit for some pen I probably don't have. Esterbrook replacement nibs accepted too.

No:

- Pens with missing parts. Corroded pressure bars are fine, petrified sacs are fine, dents are fine, small plastic losses (like chippings on the cap) are fine, cracks are a major pain in the rear end but that's why I am playing after all. But if the pen has no cap or no blind cap or no lever box, chances are there's either no way to get it or it is expensive as all hell to get it shipped over here. I'd rather not spend more than the price of the pen on a part, and I guess nobody wants to see pics of half a pen, either. If you go the vintage route, there's enough old, unloved grandma pens around that still have all their poo poo (mostly) together.

- Parkers, I guess. The vintage ones are way out of the price range, and I have about all the 45's, 21's, Vectors, Arrows and such that I'll need for a lifetime. If you want to send me a Duofold, well, be my guest I guess (who am I kidding, I'd marry you), but otherwise, please, no Parkers.

Any packaging is fine, just be aware it'll be shipped to a post office, the nice ladies there do have quite a dirty sense of humor, and any fun they have will shamelessly be blamed on you. I don't think there'd be any problem with not-signed-for mail, I have received everything up to now just fine there, but if you want to be sure, signed is OK too.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 15, 2019

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Is it too late to sign up for this? I’ll fire off an email after I get off work if I’m still under the wire.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

ibntumart posted:

Is it too late to sign up for this? I’ll fire off an email after I get off work if I’m still under the wire.

Lots of time. I'll update a closing date in a bit.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Alright I signed up :v:

Dear Santa,

I love bright and interesting ink colors. I usually use my pens for notes during class so I don't have any need to use professional colors, although I do like grey a lot. One thing Id also like to try is more paper, especially if they're good for showing off sheen or sparkliness! I mostly use pilot metros and parallels, so if you want to give me more pens I'd be happy to try them out too. Basically, I'm happy with anything pen related :v: NSFW packaging is aok

Inks I own:
Iroshizuku: The entire anniversary collection, shin-kai,syo-ro, shin-ryoku, momiji, fuyugaki
Diamine: arctic blue, amaranth

Oh also, I'll be travelling from 19th of December to 12th of January, so it would be better for the package to arrive late in January than on time since it will be returned if we don't pick it up in two weeks. I totally forgot about that so no worries if it disqualifies me :doh:

Xun fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 28, 2019

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Pixelante posted:

Lots of time. I'll update a closing date in a bit.

Sending my email in a few moments in the hopes I didn’t miss the cutoff.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

ibntumart posted:

Sending my email in a few moments in the hopes I didn’t miss the cutoff.

I haven't even picked a cut-off yet.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Pixelante posted:

I haven't even picked a cut-off yet.

Which I’m glad for since I only just now sent the email! Dear Santa post forthcoming after I get at least a somewhat accurate accounting of my ink collection this evening.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Okay gang, I'm closing up sign-ups on Friday midnight (PST) so get in while the going is good.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Everyone should have their santee now. It's close enough to Christmas that I really don't expect anyone to get their package in the post in time for a December 25th opening (sorry work aggro kept me distracted!) but do your best to get something in your Santee's hands by the end of January.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, my package is in the mail. I hope my giftee appreciates the time and effort it took to get all those spiders in the package.

So many spiders. So, so many spiders.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

grack posted:

Well, my package is in the mail. I hope my giftee appreciates the time and effort it took to get all those spiders in the package.

So many spiders. So, so many spiders.

Oh poo poo, I thought this was a snake year.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Package in the mail. Didn’t get the spiders memo, but there was a special on vermin (assorted).
Real talk though I found something really goony, I’m looking forward to my recipient’s reaction.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Nine of Eight posted:

Real talk though I found something really goony, I’m looking forward to my recipient’s reaction.

Happy to say I did, too. Still not sending the package for organizative reasons but it's coming together rather nicely.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

My Santees items have been bought and I will receive them tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be shipping them sometime next week! Sorry for the delay :negative:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'd like to thank my Secret Santa for the lovely array of ink samples. Only 22 more and I can have a different colour for each Delta!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Xun posted:

My Santees items have been bought and I will receive them tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be shipping them sometime next week! Sorry for the delay :negative:

My gift is also ready and will be in the mail tomorrow morning. Sorry if it's a bit late!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Just confirming I received a lovely box some time ago from a Canadian goon including stationary, postcards, a pen, and chocolates. Many thanks! I will try to put up a picture if I get a chance (minus the chocos, those are long since devoured).

Also I am very late sending my Santee’s gift, but it’s boxed and will be dropped off for shipping soon. (My only excuse is a ridiculously busy past two months of 70 hour weeks....Hope the contents are worth the wait.)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I picked up my secret santa package today! :woop:

Inside of it I got

Glow in the dark dolphins!

Some super cute pens! I haven't tried writing with them yet but I will soon.

A really neat art notebook and a childs animal notebook with a spaceship on it :iiam:

Candy!! These are super tasty and red is my favorite. Gona have to get some more someday

A pen holder! This is actually really useful for me, I got ink all over my bag when a pen came uncapped rip

Thank you so much, these are awesome!

In other news my SS gift should hopefully be shipping out tomorrow :toot:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Nothing arrived here :(. If the package has a tracking number, whoever send it might want to check it, it may have gotten stuck somewhere. I am pretty sure it wasn't sent back, but who knows....

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm also still waiting on my package but I was told to expect late arrival. Crossing my fingers.
Edit: thanks for the update from my Santee. Apparently postmen are intimidated by giant 6ft y’all snowbanks.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 12, 2020

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Still nothing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Same. I'm going to send some email pokes this week.

Please let me know if you haven't received a gift, or if for some reason you haven't been able to send one out.