Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bring back the vapochill!
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/asetek-vapochill-xe-ii-refrigerated-pc-case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HOLY poo poo wow

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
My old build:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2 GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 210 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I'm seeing this build on Newegg. I'm a 1080p gamer, not worried about 4k stuff. Any thoughts on grabbing this as an upgrade?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

It looks reasonable. Price isn’t too bad.

I’d definitely spring the extra $100 for the i7 and NVME though. That cooler looks lovely, and you may want to replace it eventually, but other than that I think it’s fine.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
will be a pretty significant upgrade for sure, 950-2060 is a big jump, and you'll be able to apply DLSS to tease even more performance out of it. it's a bit more expensive than i'd like but that's the loving market i suppose - you might be able to shop around cheaper but it's not highway robbery, imo at least. you could also bring the storage forward from your old machine too.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hey y'all, while perhaps not an issue given the current market, for a handful of reasons I don't follow computer hardware much anymore and thus ain't the right person to keep the OP up-to-date, not that I ever did, so this is a general ask for someone to make a new thread. Most of what's in the OP should be reusable, though the parts about current CPUs and GPUs are out of date. I suggest you chop it up into more posts for ease of editing too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm surprised and pleased that my six year old rig still runs well and was able to handle RDR2 at HD but I think it's time to move to newer technology. I would not want to buy all the bits and find out that I will have to wait ages before an appropriate video card is available.

My goal is to be able to run new, demanding games at high detail and high frame rates (at regular HD resolution) without my PC sounding like it's melting. I'm sticking with HD because I don't like LCDs much larger than 25", and higher res UIs are tough on my old eyes.

I like my case except that it has an awful, squishy power button that at times has made it impossible to turn my drat computer on. That said I'm willing to move up to a larger case to avoid restricting my video card choices, but would like to stick with something easy to assemble and maintain, no geegaws required.

My old build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Signature 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $295.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-04 11:56 EDT-0400

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It looks reasonable. Price isn’t too bad.

I’d definitely spring the extra $100 for the i7 and NVME though. That cooler looks lovely, and you may want to replace it eventually, but other than that I think it’s fine.

NVME? Thanks for the heads up on the cooler. I'll keep an eye out.

CoolCab posted:

will be a pretty significant upgrade for sure, 950-2060 is a big jump, and you'll be able to apply DLSS to tease even more performance out of it. it's a bit more expensive than i'd like but that's the loving market i suppose - you might be able to shop around cheaper but it's not highway robbery, imo at least. you could also bring the storage forward from your old machine too.

DLSS? Yeah it's a little pricey, but not terrible considering I'm seeing current gen stuff see for 2-3x MSRP online. Good call on bringing the storage over.

Appreciate the info from both of you!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Hey y'all, while perhaps not an issue given the current market, for a handful of reasons I don't follow computer hardware much anymore and thus ain't the right person to keep the OP up-to-date, not that I ever did, so this is a general ask for someone to make a new thread. Most of what's in the OP should be reusable, though the parts about current CPUs and GPUs are out of date. I suggest you chop it up into more posts for ease of editing too.

I'll put some effort in over the next few days. I'm here way too much and follow closely enough.

We just need to think of a new thread title.

PC Building Megathread - $23 per frame

PC Building Megathread - Stop worrying and love the prebuilt

PC Building Megathread - GPUs cost what now?

PC Building Megathread - Holding on to your pre-civillization GPU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I'll put some effort in over the next few days. I'm here way too much and follow closely enough.

We just need to think of a new thread title.

PC Building Megathread - $23 per frame

PC Building Megathread - Stop worrying and love the prebuilt

PC Building Megathread - GPUs cost what now?

PC Building Megathread - Holding on to your pre-civillization GPU

PC Building Megathread: Abandon hope all ye who enter

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CyberLord XP posted:

DLSS? Yeah it's a little pricey, but not terrible considering I'm seeing current gen stuff see for 2-3x MSRP online. Good call on bringing the storage over.

The listing calls it PCIe.

It means you're getting a PCIe SSD (Also called NVMe), which is generally faster than a SATA based SSD.

If you pick the i7 model, it automatically comes with it and is a worthy upgrade IMO, especially at $100.

It's more than you'd pay to build it in the before times, but frankly in this market the price is fair.'

Sony also just said they expect chip shortages to extend for years, which would easily impact CPU/GPU.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

PC Building Megathread - Is that the price or the series?

EDIT: Okay I was wondering about PCIe SSD's, I hadn't read up about them. Cheers!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

An SSD standard that's faster than a SATA SSD. $100 more to get that and an i7 CPU isn't the worst deal.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PC Building Megathread - CPU graphics will have to do for now

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CyberLord XP posted:

yeah it's nvidia's newish AI upscaling thing. it lets you run the game at a lower resolution and then upscale it to native, and it does some fancy tricks with the last few frames (as of DLSS 2.0) to inform the upscale and to fill in detail. tl:dr it's considered a very good trick to get more from less, and will represent a fairly considerable performance uplift in some games (although it's not very broadly supported, yet). the 2060 is the lowest tier card to support it, and it will absolutely critical if you wanna play eg cyberpunk or something.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
PC Building Megathread: For The Love Of God Don't Build a PC

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

DLSS is basically witchcraft

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

LifeSunDeath posted:

PC Building Megathread - CPU graphics will have to do for now

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
PC Building Megathread - Don't

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
PC Prebuilt is my Best Friend Megathread - Friendship Ended with Building

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

CyberLord XP posted:

+1 thanks here! I was on a conference call, watching my home pc die in the background, when I read your post and just punched "buy" with the upgraded processor and drive. I kept telling myself when I could find something halfway decent under $1k I'd buy but expectations and reality not going to meet this year, I don't think.

If you find a cooler that you like and can recommend, please let me know!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
PC Building Megathread - *sighs* This prebuilt looks good enough

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
PC Building Megathread: Have GPU – Will Travel

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

pumped up for school posted:

+1 thanks here! I was on a conference call, watching my home pc die in the background, when I read your post and just punched "buy" with the upgraded processor and drive. I kept telling myself when I could find something halfway decent under $1k I'd buy but expectations and reality not going to meet this year, I don't think.

If you find a cooler that you like and can recommend, please let me know!

CPU cooler? Standard recs are Scythe Mugen or Fuma, or Arctic eSports Duo. Scythe ones are easier to install, apparently

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm surprised and pleased that my six year old rig still runs well and was able to handle RDR2 at HD but I think it's time to move to newer technology. I would not want to buy all the bits and find out that I will have to wait ages before an appropriate video card is available.

My goal is to be able to run new, demanding games at high detail and high frame rates (at regular HD resolution) without my PC sounding like it's melting. I'm sticking with HD because I don't like LCDs much larger than 25", and higher res UIs are tough on my old eyes.

I like my case except that it has an awful, squishy power button that at times has made it impossible to turn my drat computer on. That said I'm willing to move up to a larger case to avoid restricting my video card choices, but would like to stick with something easy to assemble and maintain, no geegaws required.

My old build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $295.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-04 11:56 EDT-0400

A 5600x shouldn't be hard to get if you have a Micro Center near by, and you can pair that with a motherboard from them to save $20. Getting 16GB of DDR4-3600 RAM will be plenty.

Are you looking to stay small form factor?

What refresh rate is your current monitor? Are you ok with 60Hz? Or are you trying to get up to 144Hz? Although, for the foreseeable future, it might be better just to stick with your 970.

Also, if you ever end up building a new PC, I may be interested in your old motherboard if you'd be looking to sell. I have a 4770k that wanna build a NAS around and would like to make it as small as possible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Butterfly Valley posted:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I bought a secondhand NZXT H210 and am going to rebuild my current PC in it, and I have 2 120mm fans and 1 140mm fan already in use. Should I stick the larger fan at the front (to push more air towards the back) or at the back for exhaust (since it's a negative pressure case)?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

change my name posted:

I bought a secondhand NZXT H210 and am going to rebuild my current PC in it, and I have 2 120mm fans and 1 140mm fan already in use. Should I stick the larger fan at the front (to push more air towards the back) or at the back for exhaust (since it's a negative pressure case)?

doesn't matter too much, maybe big one going in, two small ones going out, the differences will be negligible.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Because of the airflow restrictions it doesn't seem to matter if you put intake fans in the front. The two exhaust in the back do a good enough job.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I finally got around to building my new system around a 5600x after the thread's suggestions. But the damned thing wouldn't boot, and I tried everything including tearing it apart and putting the old motherboard/cpu back into it in order to make a windows recovery usb. Twice. Much late-night swearing ensued.

After some googling, I noticed that I had forgotten to update the new motherboard's bios so that it was compatible with Vermeer CPUs.

What I'm saying is that I'm a moron and you should learn from my mistakes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nothus posted:

I finally got around to building my new system around a 5600x after the thread's suggestions. But the damned thing wouldn't boot, and I tried everything including tearing it apart and putting the old motherboard/cpu back into it in order to make a windows recovery usb. Twice. Much late-night swearing ensued.

After some googling, I noticed that I had forgotten to update the new motherboard's bios so that it was compatible with Vermeer CPUs.

What I'm saying is that I'm a moron and you should learn from my mistakes.

Omg, I wanted to buy a pretty cheap mobo initially but then I read that in order to get the new gen CPU I was also getting to work with them, it would require that I install a last gen chip, get into bios, flash bios, then put the new chip in. Ended up getting a Z590 board.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

LifeSunDeath posted:

Omg, I wanted to buy a pretty cheap mobo initially but then I read that in order to get the new gen CPU I was also getting to work with them, it would require that I install a last gen chip, get into bios, flash bios, then put the new chip in. Ended up getting a Z590 board.

That would have only been necessary if the board wasn’t already pre-flashed to support 5000 series CPUs (more common now than at launch last Nov), *and* the board doesn’t have BIOS flashback

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

LifeSunDeath posted:

Fwiw, my Asrock motherboard was able to boot into the bios and flash the update with the incompatible CPU installed.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nothus posted:

Fwiw, my Asrock motherboard was able to boot into the bios and flash the update with the incompatible CPU installed.

Ah yeah I'm sure some do, I'd read some things on boards I was looking at indicating that might not be the case. anyway just spent 50 more dollars and got the Z590 like I said and everything is beautiful.

Oh funny thing though, out the box, my friend's mobo, which is identical, he couldn't get it to connect to the internet via ethernet...we ended up having to update drivers just to get it to work at all, it was really weird, first time I've had a mobo totally not able to get online without driver updates.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I actually just had that issue with my motherboard. Asus B550-E. It was the weirdest thing, because windows had basic drivers for the wifi, but not the ethernet.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
PC Building Megathread - New Crypto Uses Monitors, Prices Skyrocketing

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

change my name posted:

i lol'd irl when i saw this...a worthy successor to my horrible thread title which has endured like the wasteland we find ourselves within

LifeSunDeath posted:

here's an explanation about what would be required to use AC units to cool a computer. In a diff but related video he makes a fridge out of Peltier devices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWVfaxqTyl4

while it can be done, it requires a system that's not simple at all to make it useful.

I actually did some Dumb poo poo in college, and just ducted a window AC unit into an intake on the back of my case which blew directly onto a Tuniq Tower, when those first came out.

10C gaming rig! :pcgaming::hf::iceburn:

I honestly can't believe it was never fried by condensation... :sweatdrop:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It won't condense in the PC because you are lowering the ambient temperature. It condenses inside the AC unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

change my name posted:

Undecided. But this is high on the list for sure.