Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Not sure if this is the right place, but I actually have some PC parts that need a new home and was wondering if there was a thread for that since there was a thread of someone selling off their PC's and other computer related equipment when their company went under. For those curious it's an AMD CPU and MOBO combo.

Ryzen 7 5800x

ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus

Asking price is $800 since that's what it came out to with tax. All parts are brand new and I can provide pictures if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Some Goon posted:

SA-Mart, my man.

Sweet thanks.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Schwann posted:

I built a PC about 8-9 years ago and the video card just died. Given it is not the best time to build a PC, would I be better off replacing the video card in my current build with a similar spec cheap video card or replace the entire system? At this time I only do light gaming like WoW and some RPGs that are not demanding. I game on a DELL U2412M 1900 x 1200 display. I have another HP monitor as secondary.

My card that just died is a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950

If I build a new system, I would be looking for the "next step up" in gaming. Realistically this means a larger and better monitor, and investing in new game titles that I would want to run at the highest settings. Nothing VR. I do not build systems very often, so probably take some time to figure out how far I want to take it. :)

Given the age of the rig, I'd say it may need to be rebuilt since most older cards are a pain to get and get easily walloped by some newer cards that aren't too hard to find. It all depends on the budget. Then again if all you're playing is WoW then I'm not sure.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Can someone recommend me a good semi-modular 850w to 900w PSU? Gonna be doing some slight upgrades and this is one that's needed. Also, is there any relevance to the rankings system with bronze, silver, gold, platinum besides efficiency if I recall? If I can keep it below $150(preference is for $110) even better.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am using a Corsair RMx 850 right now and it works fine. It’s one of the better rated PSUs.

Forgot to add that it needs to be semi-modular. Reason being that most of the time I've had issues with full modular ones where they don't post due to the CPU not getting power or something to that effect since they don't have the cable for it and I need to buy one. That said, I'll definetly keep this one in mind.

Also, they have the i9 10900k for $445 at my local Microcenter and while I know the Ryzen's are doing better this Gen, my old rig ran an i7 7700k which was upgraded from an i7 4790k with no need for any Windows reinstall hence my preference to the Intel's. Thoughts?

Found these two PSU's and want to know which one to go with.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 5, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Butterfly Valley posted:

This seems an arbitrary and dumb reason to not choose a processor. It's possible to change the motherboard and cpu on an AMD based system without having to reinstall windows too.

Possibly, but I've heard so much mixed stuff in terms of how to go about doing things that I'd rather not risk it and gently caress my stuff up so I went with the i9 over the Ryzen. It helps that the prices and performances are pretty much identical at this point with a slight edge going for the Ryzen. I dunno, I just want to gut my current build and swap out the mobo and cpu and start it without running into any issues like I did last time. I was also able to score a REALLY good mobo for it on sale so I'm happy with it. I also went with the Seasonic over the EVGA since it was a Gold. This does put some of my other upgrade plans on hold, but I can live with that.

Edit: Yes I'm aware it's arbitrary and kind of dumb, but I have read of people running into SOME issues involving crashes and for that I'd rather just keep Intel where BIOS should effectively be the same if not similar.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 6, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Just reinstall.

If you’re rocking a 5+ year old windows install it’s probably full of dumb junk and hosed up.

I like my dumb junk and over the top amount of open tabs on my browsers along with other miscellaneous. It's...comforting.

Saukkis posted:

Minor limitation is that the second x16 slot runs at x4 speed, which is fine for NVMe, but if you use any of the x1 slots then that also drops to x1 speed. Manual page 29.

What kind of motherboards have you used, since all modular PSUs come with the required cables.

I already bought one so it's fine, but it was a PSU issue more than anything.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

High, drunk, sober, doesn’t matter. You’re losing at least one M2 screw.

As for the i9, I like mine just fine. I could probably stand to cool it better but it’s served me well so far, not like I can tell a qualitative difference between that and my i7-9700 in my last computer though.

This is kind of how I feel about the Ryzen 7 5800x and the i9 10900k. The margins are so close(granted in slight favor of AMD), that I'd rather stick with what I know I can rebuild my stuff around and not lose my beloved accumulated junk.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ghostinmyshell posted:

Are the Micro Center prebuilds garbage? That might be my only hope now in getting a 5900x/3080 system. And I have to buy 2 since my wife expects gaming parity these days.

I've seen the spec sheets on them and they're actually really solid where it matters. If you're curious you can actually read the specs list and it'll give you all the details. Your only issue might be overkill in terms of what you'll need for CPU and the overall cost being high, but the parts quality is pretty solid.

Of topic, but I have a GTX 1080 Zotac AMP Extreme I may sell, but I'm not sure I have the original box and its materials so I have no idea how much I can sell it for now since the sold ones kn Ebay have the full set.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Post the build you’re looking at for the best info from people here. Knowing micro center they’re probably fine, and if you have the cash to flush out 2x 5900x/3080 prebuilts my guess is you can afford to change whatever is poo poo in the box.

The GPUs are hard to find, but the 5600x is available pretty regularly.

5900x is crazy overkill. 5800x is MAYBE worth it for slight future proofing. But if it were me I’d probably just jump on whichever was available.

To add to this, the only real components that I've seen that I'd maybe change in the Microcenter builds are the PSU and the cooling since I couldn't find info on the so it's possible they may be proprietary. But even then those are not hard things to change. But yeah like Bowman said, if good parts went in and it turns on then you're fine.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Question, besides pure unfiltered Flex, is there any reason to buy a 3090? This is assuming the current issues stay since the scalping mark-up on the 3080's is so impossibly hosed, it actually makes these cards look enticing viable by comparison. With that asked, is ShopBLT a good place to buy from? Ditto for Tiger Direct?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

3090 is about a 15%-20% increase over the 3080 in gaming performance, which doesn’t justify the price.

In certain workloads (blender, anything with high VRAM requirement really) it performs closer to the cost difference, but not fully.

If you’re the kind of person that is going to buy something right now, and will either buy a $1200 scalped 3080 or an MSRP 3090, you should buy a 3090. If you will wait for an MSRP card, get a 3080.

Yeah that last part is basically what I meant at this current junction the 3090 looks appealing because HOLY poo poo THOSE SCALPING PRICES BATMAN!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

My advice is to breathe and wait out the scalpers. Paying the scalped price is not worth it. Unless it’s for a work related thing, and they’re going to reimburse you, you will live if you can’t play cyberpunk at 4k max settings for a month or two.

Yeah I agree. gently caress that noise with the scalper. It's just frustrating since all this poo poo may have also driven the price up on the regular cards which sucks. I DID backorder a Gigabyte 3090 Eagle from ShopBLT just to see what happens(orders were at 320 and receiving was like 250), but the instant a 3080 shows up for MSRP and it's not scalped then it's mine.

I'm honestly not expecting ANYTHING out of that ShopBLT thing due to the demand issues, but figured why not. And it is a decent card from what I've read online.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

canyoneer posted:

Best Buy has Nvidia 3 series cards up now gogogogo

I missed the drop. :'(

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Zuul the Cat posted:

My nephew is getting ready to build his first PC, and I wanted to run it by the thread to get some input on it. I haven't built one before, I just got mine prebuilt. Any issues here? He's 14, so no need for any real high end stuff. He's mostly going to be playing some games on it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Western Digital)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB AERO ITX OC Video Card ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $964.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-09 10:23 EST-0500

In the implausible event that I score a card and thus no longer need mine, I can sell you my 1080 Zotac amp extreme for $320(shipping free) or whatever you think is a fair deal.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Steve Jorbs posted:

I was fantasizing over my part list and looking at stock, instead of working, and saw them up nearly the moment they went live. Still got queued and missed out on CPU and GPU.

I haven't built a PC from scratch since like 2011 and this has been a miserable experience.

I was right there on the page. Clicked the loving thing and everything. When it stopped, it told me sold out on both the 3080 and 3090. Am bummed. I might actually try and buy a PS5 and parlay that into 3080 or something since I have seen some people accept those as trades.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Finished upgrading the parts, but it's not booting into my SSD with windows in it. Everything is plugged in and running just fine. Any suggestions?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Probably a boot order issue, or a compatibility issue.

Boot to bios and make sure the correct thing is selected.

Yeah that’s a great deal, probably better than MSRP DIY. Especially if it’s a third party 3070.

What would be the fix for either? It seems that during the setup process I had forgotten to link the SSD's to power so when I did initial BIOS, they might have not been part of things to I might have to redo things there.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I'm currently having some issues getting my PC to load Windows. Everything starts as normal and the drives where Windows show up, but it won't load into windows.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/353659715835658242/809206116478222366/20210210_183539_HDR.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/353659715835658242/809206131666190346/20210210_183551_HDR.jpg

I do notice that compared to the explanation from the MSI website,

https://us.msi.com/support/technical_details/MB_Boot_OS_Entry

It's not giving me a "Boot Mode Select Option" and am wondering if that might be connected to this issue. Otherwise, drives and all parts work perfectly normal.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/353659715835658242/809210605319487488/20210210_185348_HDR.jpg

Would it being AHCI instead of RAID matter? Also, BIOS Mode is listed as CSM/UEFI.

Edit: Switched to CSM and after some setup's...MOFO IS UP AND RUNNING AGAIN!!!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/353659715835658242/809212629700313138/20210210_190153.jpg

Edit: No internet though and I don't know why which bothers me.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 11, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
If anyone is having issues finding Ryzen CPU's, I've actually found and set aside some good deals I've managed to find on Ebay for the Ryzen 7 5800x that I can link to for those interested.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I couldn't possibly. I feel like I've just won a beauty contest for uglies! It does the job but pro builders might puke.

I maybe exaggerate a little but most programs are blink-and-you'll-miss-it startups. My wife, who is oblivious to tech advancement, actually said "wow" when using it earlier today though.

You’ll find those of us who post often are far from pro builders.

The inside of my box looks like a fire waiting to happen. I love windowless cases.

I've thought of posting pictures of mine, but it looks like a janky mess I feel like. May post some later anyways for feedback.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I found and EVGA 3080 for $1100 on FB. Guy is selling it via app pay(cash app, venmo, PayPal maybe too) which I have very mixed feelings about, but this reminded me, what even IS the MSRP for these things right now? The scalper price has effectively erased any knowledge on what would be the regular price on these.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

spunkshui posted:

like 800-1000 depending on the card.

Is he claiming its new in box? seems too low if he is.

Scalped 3080s are pushing 2000 if new in box.

Looks like it was sold and the remaining listing was for the 3060. I did find another guy selling an ASUS 3090 for $2100 which is...not horrid and seems open to negotiations. It's still a fuckload of money, but still for an ASUS STRIX 3090...Hmmm...

This again begs the question of what the regular MSRP for these was since ShopBLT where I got most of this info doesn't even list them anymore so I have nothing to go by.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

spunkshui posted:

3090 strix is a retail $2000 card and strix cards go for more then the other cards when scalped.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-geforce-rtx-3090-24gb-gddr6x-pci-express-4-0-strix-graphics-card-black/6432447.p?skuId=6432447

Im sus, if I was scamming Id claim to have a strix.

Definetly feel that. There are some protections in place though like the buyer protection that FB seems to offer and he also seems to do PayPal which also has strict buyer protections in place. The PayPal aspects are nice since I'd prefer to buy via credit card since it allows me time to actually get some finances in order. A 3080 would be preferable due to it's lower cost, but the scalp market on those is just hosed up right now.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kragger99 posted:

It seems 80% of the builds lists here are going with AMD CPU (I'm mostly referring to the 5600x-5900x). Is it preferred over intel (10850k/10900k) because it's more efficient/generates less heat? Are there other factors?

Both of those on top of better single core speeds-assuming memory serves well-which are important for gaming. I think the margin of error with I tel is like 5% so an Intel one will get the job done just the same, but AMD is preferred here. I do think there was some data where Intel is better for work stations or stuff where you're running multiple things at once like streaming and such, but again the margin of error is low and overall for gaming the slight edge is on AMD. This is all assuming 5600 and 5800 though, and I think the 5900 was better all around I think.

GPU's is an entirely different story and Nvidia is the Conqueror Worm there.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

feedback loop posted:

It's the opposite, actually - the i9s can outperform the new Ryzen models in some games, but the Ryzens absolutely smoke any Intel chip for non-gaming tasks. It's not even close.

Wait really?! I had always been told the reverse! Well drat. That shakes off my negative feelings about trading off my 5800x for a 10900kf(saved $50).

Ok now I'm confused, but gently caress it I only paid $400 for this card and got a monster mobo for a really good price so I'm not complaining.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Thoughts on what to rec to help this kind soul.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/lw2wu6/teacher_looking_to_buy_pcs_for_my_esports_program/

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

CloFan posted:

I'm in the same boat, trying to get an esports program going at my school. CDWG seems like they have stock of prebuilts and some knowledgeable reps on the subject

E: oh his entire budget is $3k, that's gonna suck.

I dunno...apparently he only needs like 5 PC's and 3k can make that happen. Granted in my mind it's happening in terms of buying the parts and building the PC's themselves which could actually be pretty loving awesome to do since it actually teaches them how to build and maintain them.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Joiny posted:

You guys gonna hate me, I literally walked into microcenter parkville at 3:30pm~ today and walked out with the exact 3080 I wanted.

They still had some 3070s available as well at the time.

Now that I have the 3080 and my 5600x, the rest of the build is this unless y'all disagree:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($309.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($235.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($2499.99 @ Monoprice)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ B&H)
Total: $3578.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-07 16:29 EDT-0400

Did they have any 3090's? Also, gently caress your lucky man.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

FuriousGeorge posted:

Ugh, I live 1 mile from a Microcenter but it’s in Chicago, constantly packed and I can’t imagine the amount of dipshits I’d have to contend with to get one. Might as well be 3000 mi away for all the effort I’m gonna put in to getting a gpu from there.

Kind of same. Microcenter is close by in Paterson, but not within public transit so I'm screwed unless I can get a ride from someone. I'm thinking of waiting for the 3080ti to drop since I imagine they'll carry it or will get a shipment of cards in.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Does anyone have a list of the original msrp prices for cards?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doccykins posted:

try not to be sick

Well drat. Actually part of the reason I asked was that I'm considering buying a pre-built PC that has a 3070 and swapping it with my current 1080 and selling it to make back as close to MSRP as possible(would need about $1200 to make the MSRP cost for the 3070).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
GPU Shortage All Endings

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/n4rneq/gpu_shortage_all_endings/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

njsykora posted:

Holding out hope for the potato ending.

Escalation or Secret for me.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Chinatown posted:

FWIW I got this prebuilt Sunday, 4 days after snagging one. Fired right up and haven't had any issues so far. The RAM was set to 2666mhz in BIOS so I upped it to 3000mhz since that's what the RAM is rated for.

Case airflow is pretty shite, so I added 3 exhaust fans on top, one more intake up front (3 total), and reversed the AIO fans from exhaust to intake. So all side fans intake, and exhausts upwards. Mid 70C for my 3070 at full load with ray tracing. Still a bit hot but it works. CPU stays in the mid-60s under full load.

Nice. I'm thinking of buying a prebuilt at this point just to swap the GPU's and then flip it too make back the difference since finding GPU's is such a pain at this point.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Joiny posted:

I finally got all my parts and put everything together today.

As a reminder:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1 g Thermal Paste ($5.94 @ ModMyMods)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($147.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($187.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($299.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($145.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1265.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-17 22:34 EDT-0400

Cat:

Things I love:
-Everything is so quiet. Even under stress testing the whole machine barely makes a peep. God my old computers are so loud.
-RGB is fun and the wife loves it. The regular performance case probably would have been fine though.
-GPU and CPU are remaining quite cool. CPU <50C and GPU<70C. I don't have a new monitor yet so I can only do 1080p output, though I haven't tested the vive yet. I'll probably forego adding the extra fan in the back unless I feel like I need it later.

Things that were a pain:
-Running cables in the lian li wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I could have chosen a motherboard that has more side-facing inputs instead of top-facing inputs, that would have made running the front panel usb wire and mobo power cords easier.
-Front panel power button and reset button fall apart (not break, just separate from each other) when you install the usb-c cable.
-Small chip in the glass, I'll see if Lian Li will send me a replacement panel.
-Front panel power and reset button are on the top of the case. I did not consider that my cat would love sitting on the top of my computer, so now I need to find a way to cover them.

Overall super happy with it, thanks thread for all the help.

How did you get the 3080?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonkeyFit posted:

LG makes G-Sync compatible OLED TVs. My 55" is loving amazing.

This. Games like Dark Souls 3 look biblical on those.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

EMCF posted:

Hey, I'm getting kinda tired of waiting for GPUs to become available and reasonable priced, noticed this prebuild:

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali490/p/N82E16883360085

Is it worth the money? I just want to play pretty game, 4k would be nice but I know the 3060 may limit me. I have another hardrive I can install so the small storage doesn't matter. Would appreciate any thoughts!

I'm in a similar situation where I'm thinking of buying a pre-built just to poach the GPU(FE 3090) and resell it with my current GPU(Zotac 1080). If any of you guys are interested in that possible Frankenstein let me know so I can get started on that project.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Forever_Peace posted:

After 8 months of working drops, I finally got my hands on both a CPU and GPU (at MSRP!).

I'm using a X570 Tomahawk Wifi Mobo, which has a "PCIe Steel Armor" metal reinforcement thingy around the PCI_1 slot. Should this be sufficient to support a 3080 for 5+ years without appreciable sag, or should I grab a bracket support as well?

Which drop and how? I use Brobot to announce when drops happen but even that isn't enough to beat bots it feels like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Forever_Peace posted:

I ordered a 5900X from the B&H Photo backorder supreme in mid-November. I tried to send them a patient, kind, understanding email every few months, and a few days after the last one, got a notification that the CPU shipped. Ended up getting it early May.

The 3080 came from a recent BestBuy drop. I had been using the "NerdSpeak" discord for notifications for the last few months. Had accounts fully set up (with card, phone numbers etc) at Zotac, BestBuy, Amazon, and a few other spots. After about 45 lost shuffles and a dozen or so fruitless drops, I finally landed a Ventus 3X for in-store pickup last week. I think I mostly just got lucky with local inventory during the drop.

Placed an order via ShopBLT for an EVGA for $1345 or so. No idea what my order number is, but there are close to 2k other people in this queue. This is my second order with them actually since I ordered a 3090 Eagle which is still essentially in limbo(never got charged for it as it's still in "pre-order").