Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Hey Folks,

I'm looking to replace my 6ish year old desktop that's starting to run at a crawl on a lot of things, and hoping that whatever I get next can still be suitable for gaming for a few years. I don't do a ton of gaming on the PC nowadays, but I do have a backlog of Steam games as well as an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate that I've mostly been using with my tablet via xCloud streaming (I don't have an xbox).

As you can tell from my needs, I'm probably not in the market for a super high end gaming desktop, but I'd like something with a little more horsepower than a typical business desktop in case something new comes along and I definitely want to play on PC.

Taking some of the thread's advice, I've customized some of the default options from the "modest AMD gaming build" on parts picker:
Guide Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/mM7Ycf/modest-amd-gaming-build
My Picks: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DqP4Vc

The two big questions are:
1) Are there any reasonable places to cut some price corners? I chose a slightly more expensive power supply, case, and SSD than the guide had on its parametric search based on some suggestions in the thread as well as from a friend.

2) I can't even when it comes to GPUs, and it sounds like most others can't either. I have an old MSI GeForce GTX 970 SUPER 4G that I could probably make do with for a while, but since prices and supplies seem to be turbofucked on graphics cards, I have no clue what exactly a "price point" even appears to be. I have a monoprice 4k monitor that's really only 60hz in 1440p, if that helps as well.

For reference, this is what my old system is (for the most part):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jcWRP6
I think the only swap is that I got the MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G instead of the one listed.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
So I've been looking at articles about GPUs and I think I'm going to try and snag a NVidia GTX 3060 Ti card. Aside from just praying for a drop at retail instead of dealing with scalpers, any major issues with this path? I'm hoping to get close to retail and I'm not in a rush.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 24, 2021

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
So, I live within a few miles of a Micro Center, and have now bought / ordered all but my GPU for this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YR2gj2

Anyone else have a trip report from waiting in line for a retail GPU there? I'm hoping to get a 3060 Ti but would be fine with a 3060. Got word from staff that Tu/Th/F are the typical days for GPU resupply.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
:capitalism:

I'm in the same boat, really wish I didn't have to turn into a professional sneakerhead to loving get consumer grade electronics.

At least I have my old 970 to fall back on. It seems ridiculous that my best bang for the buck until I trip over some miraculous luck is a $300 card I bought 6 years ago.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 28, 2021

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Neuronyx posted:

I can be mad. SO I AM. :murder:

Is there a stuxnet for bitcoin mining?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

I hate to dive-bomb the thread like this but what the gently caress happened to low/mid-range GPUs? How is a 1660S 70*:10bux:? Did a fab catch covid and sink into a swamp?

:wtf:

A high tide raises all scalpers

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Dunno what kind of power he's hoping to get but here's a quick example of the poison in the rear end it is to get CUDA cores generally. I suspect even the data science GPUs are getting bought up by scalpers/miners as well...

Depending on what kind of GPU he wants, you're probably going to have to wait a while for anything close to MSRP or pay at least $500-800 for a midrange card.

I was eyeing a sub-$1000 build for gaming and I think I'll be lucky if I can stay under $1200 now.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 2, 2021

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
So how badly would I be getting scalped for a Zotac 3060 at $560? (I believe it's the white model that seems to be msrp of $550 right now from Zotac.)

On one hand, it seems to be reasonable for the item it is, but on the other, it's $560 for a fuckin' 3060 non-Ti....

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

CoolCab posted:

329 was the base cost for the model so you're eating about 230 compared to that fantasy number. idk, not terrible but still fuckin yikes to this market.

e: but come to the GPU thread! it's genuinely kind of interesting watching this poo poo show and they'll have more opinions than me.

Yeah I'm aware of the magical number - even the manufacturers seem to have mostly abandoned that (at least evga and Zotac have) and that's assuming I get an unbundled card - so one shot a month with Best Buy or eat some other component cost in the newegg shuffle (assuming I get either of those). Supposedly my nearest Micro Center is basically only selling cards as part of their pc building service.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Holy crap cable management has gotten a lot easier since my last build (or maybe I cheaped out last time in 2014). The semi-modular PSU has way fewer extraneous cables, the PSU at the bottom with rubber passthroughs, and the lack of optical drive slots seems to make a world of difference. Will post a picture when I get my dino GPU in there as I await a lottery ticket for a 30 series card.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Joiny posted:

Upgrading from a i5-4590 and a 970 to this, wondering if I've made any obvious mistakes. I may need to switch to a full tower? The case seems fine but I haven't double checked it. Not sure what size the gpu I will get will be since I'm just going to take whatever 3070-3090 I can find whenever I can find it and use my 970 till then.

I'm not under any huge budget constraints and I can be patient till I get a new GPU. Using this mainly for 1080p at 60fps and sometimes for my vive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($306.33 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($235.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1095.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-04 22:46 EDT-0400

Depending on how badly you want it, that $1k without the card could get expensive for the 3080 - if you want a guaranteed device, a similarly specced desktop from ibuypower looks to be around $3k, as an fyi. Although that's basically the same price as buying a 3080 off eBay + your components.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
My dude, 1660s are going for $500 on the secondary market, of course everything is hosed.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

RME posted:

What’s the best bet for getting a opening with a 3000 series card and then reducing the e-waste from mixing and matching from my current build (which could also use a cpu upgrade but honestly it’s easier to get the exact one I want there it seems). I’m not even sure what I would do with some of the leftover parts, like whatever cheap psu was probably included in the prebuilt

There is no microcenter in my state so that’s out of the question and well, I have some generally bad experiences with prebuilt from a long time ago

To the first point there are 3 main options that don't involve botting or paying out the nose - zotac's website, best buy (online), and the newegg shuffle. The newegg shuffle has highest e-waste since they usually bundle things.

I usually donate my old build to a friend or relative with lower computing needs after flattening and reinstalling stuff, so I don't mix and match. Even though I could probably sell my old 970 once I get a new card for almost as much as I paid for it 6 years ago, I personally prefer to hand it down. But I also get PSUs with long warranties, so even after 6 years usually there's some extra time before the magic smoke escapes.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
All streaming going away doesn't seem like a bad ending really...

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
That sucks man, although waiting 2-3 years might be the stopgap you need until you can get a modern GPU without needing to service a Micro Center employee in the stockroom.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
So - I may have lucked out on a Zotac stealth drop 3080. Now I'm stuck with the following question: Is the 650 W PSU I bought with the intent of getting a 3070 or lower (was originally planning on a 3060 Ti) going to be underpowered for the card (assuming it actually gets to me?)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zmKtTJ is my prospective build now.
Everything aside from the 3080 is acquired and built - I'm using an old 970 GTX for now.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Oh those are just the parts not the places I bought them - although I did get it from newegg and put in a rebate that prevents me from returning it :(

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, worst-case just spend the hundred bucks on a new, 750W or 850W gold-rated PSU and count your blessings that is the only markup you paid for a 3080.
:shrug:

Yeah, I guess so. Might throw the 650w model into the 6-year old rig I replaced this with to keep it chugging a bit longer... That's all assuming that they don't just cancel my order because reasons.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
So I learned of a new wrinkle in my GPU escapades - the 3080 I ordered is a 2.5 slot and that will likely obscure my internal wifi pcie slot. Is it likely that an extender cable would solve my problem, or should I just get myself a USB wifi adapter?

In hindsight I should have either gone with a prefab this time around or bought the GPU first and built around that instead...

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Smythe posted:

blue ethernet cable, op

So you're suggesting that I install wired networking in my entire house? My router is about 50 feet, one floor, and two walls away from the computer location.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 22, 2021

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

they have mobos you can slot in an m.2 wifi card, or some have built in wificard. it's a bummer when stuff gets blocked I feel ur pain, I want to put more m.2 memory but I should have done it before the CPU cooler was put on cause I can't really get to the top slot now.

Yeah I'd gotten this motherboard under the assumption that I'd get a 3060 or 3060Ti and I have an old PCIe wifi adapter that I was going to use, but time makes fools of us all. Might grab a USB dongle so I don't have to make a whole home improvement project out of it.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

If you have a 3080 in a computer, that computer should be hardwired, one way or another.

I'm trying to go the opposite route and test a fully wireless build - anyone know if there are 750W Qi chargers?

CoolCab posted:

i would give a dissenting opinion here - it depends entirely on the kind of game you play. if it's almost any online multiplayer game where reaction speed is valuable (so, not Civilization or something turn based) i would without hesitation agree, no brainer, don't online game on wifi if you can help it. in that situation i would absolutely agree that a powerline adapter would probably be my first recommendation if actually running cable is impractical. but if Alucard more prefers single player experiences then the advantage dissolves almost immediately - wifi can push a ton of data, not as fast as wired, but the primary downside to it is latency/packet loss, not slower download speeds.

This is exactly my situation - I play almost no multiplayer games. Just started with Valheim but that's about it. As much as it would be nice to have networking through the entire house, I've got a big list of things for home improvements and that is pretty low on the list. So I'd rather find a good way to continue using my wireless than push back other projects that are more important and can't be worked around as easily.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

CoolCab posted:

tbf a powerline setup is cheap as chips, you can get a pair for under 25 quid here. it's super super variable depending on your house's wiring - really thats the core problem, it gets a lot worse if poo poo like christmas lights are plugged in for instance.

Thanks, I'll look into it - will probably need to get myself a switch as well since my router currently has all its slots occupied with wired device that live next to it (RPi, NAS, TV tuner, I think something else)

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Latency is why multiplayer gaming over wifi bites, but, barring maybe a whole ax setup, download speeds are severely impacted by wifi. The QoL of a hardwired connection (and powerline counts here too, it's better than wifi even if not as good as direct) is huge if you download files of any size.

Even with the pandemic and everything, we've been getting along perfectly fine using WiFi for a decent amount of videoconferencing and VPNing during the day - but I will certainly look into the powerline adapter for the desktop. I'll try a $20 PCIe 1X extender cable first as a cheap option, since my downloading from the desktop usually is grabbing stuff off xbox game pass ultimate or steam, and I tend to do those downloads overnight anyway. Any heavy traffic downloads I do, I use the ethernet-connected RPi, although if memory serves the gigabit there is restricted to around 300 Mbit because of the USB 2.0 restriction.

Microcenter doesn't have any GPUs either, unless you camp out each morning to see if they restock that day. They did have a $1500 6700XT a couple weeks ago, but I didn't see it when I went back this past week.

Just be like me and live on a discord for a month or so.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 22, 2021

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

Only GPU I ever had fail on me out the box was a Zotac.

Any port in a storm - I think they have a 3yr warranty on items they sell, but I'm sure RMAs are a bitch and a half these days.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

CoolCab posted:

your GPU is only mounted by the (terrible) PCI slot and the one or two screws at the back of the case and honestly those are more to prevent it from moving around in transport, the GPU problem is that it wasn't really designed for how fuckin gigantic they've gotten. your cooler should have about as perfect a square distribution of weight as possible for pressure. should be fine.

If my GPU has its fans on the bottom, what's the best way to support with a bracket? The edge is angled so I dunno if a simple bracket will work

Crappy image for context

Dunno that a cheap option like this would work well enough....
https://www.amazon.com/YATENG-Graphics-Anodized-Aerospace-Aluminum/dp/B07S7ZBB51

Alucard fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
PC Building Megathread - New Crypto Uses Monitors, Prices Skyrocketing