Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Probably a shoutout to puget systems wouldn’t hurt for professional rigs. They vet/test bench builds for specific uses/tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

There aren't likely to be fantastic deals just because of black Friday.

What kind of games do you play? If you're shooting for 100fps, you'll need a little more horsepower, imo, and would be better served by upgrading the whole thing. Recommendations tend to fall to a 3600, tomahawk max, 16gb Ram and gpu of your choice.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Vasler posted:

I play a mixture of games ranging from pixel indie games to AAA so the ability to get at least 60 fps would be great.

You're right about the deals - the EVGA 2070S I was looking at was actually a better price last week.

A 3600 is a Ryzen, right? Why are AMD CPUs seemingly the ones to get now? They're that much better than Intel these days? I had terrible experiences with AMD in the past.

It sounds to me like you're recommending I not spend any more money on my current machine and just upgrade. Is that right?

Yes on the 3600. With AMD's Zen2 launch this year, they made significant gains on the performance deficit traditionally upheld by intel. And the cost for that new performance is considerably cheaper. More cores, roughly equivalent performance, and costs less? Basically, if you want intel, there has to be a compelling reason. Yes they still hold the edge in single core performance, but that means less moving forward as new software can take advantage of those cores.

If you're building new, imo, the only intel cpus worth considering would be a 9700k (8 core, 8 thread) or 9900k (8c 16t), both require a new motherboard and cost minimum $300 for cpu alone and require a cooler. For $300-ish, you could get a motherboard, cooler AND cpu for AMD (3600 - 6c 12 t). The cost savings on AMD could net you the better gpu.

ItBreathes posted:

Until Intel can get 10nm sorted they're basically going to have to cut pricing in half on the 10XXXX chips, which they've already done on their high end parts.

IIRC, intel gave up on 10 and is shifting entirely to 7nm.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Can someone sanity check this build for me and/or suggest any alternative choices?

Ryzen 3600
ASUS ROG Strix B450i ITX
Corsair 32gb @3200
NZXT H210i
Corsair SF600 - worries the cables may be too short for this case?
PowerColor Red Dragon 5700XT 3 fan
Samsung 970 m2

Microcenter coming in at $1,316.

obligatory - need to have a prior gen cpu to flash newer bios.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

BCRock posted:

VIVO is good, yes.

I have this one for my 2 27" monitors at work and it's fantastic for $30.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S750LA/

Super easy to install and very sturdy.

Can confirm.

charity rereg posted:

I have a VIVO top-of-desk mount and I hate it, but lots of other people love it. My boss has the dual mount linked here and she loves it.

Curious about your dislike.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

E2M2 posted:

What's the best bang for your buck for basic desktop, like light gaming and YouTube? Assuming AMD bit there are like 3 generations and like 20 chips I could be looking at. Looking at used too. And what motherboard would I target?

AMD 3600, b450 tomahawk max, 16gb ram, video card of choice, storage of choice. Very solid machine, and can be built for under a grand depending on other options chosen.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Presenting Nipples posted:

After having a chat with the SO and thinking about my tax return/bonus/overtime money I'm getting, I thought I'd spec out a ballpark build. I'm basically looking for good performance at 1440p for modern games with the ability to upgrade the RAM in about a year and the GPU in another 2-3 years. She is going to keep the current PC :).
Thoughts on the below? I'd likely get the 2060 KO when it releases. The RAM is from my current machine, saving a bit of money. I might go down to a 1 TB SDD to save a bit more cash (easy upgrade). Any major pitfalls? Do I need a CPU cooler?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1709.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-12 19:33 EST-0500

Any particular reason for the 3700x? The 3600 is more than adequate for most in a gaming machine for the next year or two at least. Ryzen chips come with a stock cooler, and the included cooler on a 3600 is good enough, if a bit noisy. Only upgrade if it's really bugging you. Also, snag a windows key from SA mart and save $100 there to put elsewhere.

Looks good to me otherwise.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Isn't there going to be a new gen of nvidia hardware coming fairly soon? I can't imagine waiting it out a bit will hurt all that much. Either you'll get a better deal on current gen hardware, or if you want the new stuff, you can go for that too.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

piL posted:

After action report:

I bought:

My lessons learned for anyone buiding something (especially mini ITX) soon:

1. I love love love this case and how small it is--now that it's done.

2. I only have one open fan controller on the motherboard for a case fan, so plan ahead for that.

3. Dont plug your graphics card in before putting the motherboard in the case.

4. On my motherboard, the M2 slot was on the back, so I'd you're doing mini ITX, check that before putting your motherboard into the case.

5. Look at where the tight spots are going to be and attach those cables before putting the motherboard into the case.

6. I love these fans.

Just caught up on the thread and saw this... there are 2 m.2 slots on that board. I'd wager the first is under the chipset fan on the front. Similar layout on my asus x570 itx board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Ashex posted:

I asked around, did some research and came up with this for replacing my bum motherboard, thoughts? The Case, GPU, SSD, and PSU are all being reused.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€180.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler (€66.80 @ Alza)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (€111.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Crucial 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€129.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial MX300 750 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case (€86.89 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (€119.90 @ Corsair DE)
Total: €695.57

Seems solid, but there is the chance your motherboard would need to be flashed before it would work properly with that cpu.