Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
This is a really good new op, op. Thanks!

I am probably going to build a new system around a 3700x in the next 3 weeks, so following along the old thread has been pretty useful stuff the past month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Just a happy shout out to the thread for your help. Got a B450 board and 2700X, which I'll upgrade to a 3900X when the prices come down some. Maybe next year.

Anyway, this upgrade of mobo/cpu/hdd/ram from a 4770k-based system (reused my case and PSU) ended up costing under $300 from Microcenter by leaning heavily into some open box parts. Really kickass stuff, and I can throw my old stuff in a case to use as a pfsense router and NAS combo. Thanks guys!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd be a little :ohdear: about a 2700X on a B450 board, though. That's kind of stretching things.

Mine's working great

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Did you try another cable

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Stupid question from someone who hasn’t built a PC since Windows XP.

You guys don’t recommend a DVD drive, but I’m confused as to how you install Windows 10 without a DVD.

Does it come as a digital download that you install to a flash drive and install from there?

Sorry for the dumb question, help appreciated.

Exactly this yes, Microsoft provides a tool for you. Just bring your own thumb drive. 16gb should be enough, that's what I always use. You can even buy a key later and just install without one.

Ceramics posted:

I apologize if this is rude or against the rules, but could anyone spoon feed me a ~$700 build that my dumb rear end can snap together and that can play stuff like FF14/Path of Exile/Monster Hunter at hopefully 1080p/60? No real interest in 4k 144fps AAA gaming or anything like that.

Never built a pc before and reading this thread mostly confuses me, but i'd REALLY rather not buy a prebuild for money reasons.

Do you live near a microcenter, that makes this experiment way easier

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Processors are good at shutting down if they somehow get too hot, so I'd say (without any actual knowledge about it) give it a shot and if you notice temps going high at boot or during a load test, buy a new tube. But I mean really it's just a conductive layer between metal and metal so it seems probably fine if you can squeeze it out and it doesn't seem brittle?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
hello thread!

I got a 2700x based system from deals/info in this thread not too long ago. I got 16gb of memory in 2x8gb sticks (these: https://www.microcenter.com/product...-16gvkb---black) when I did. I want 32gb now, so I bought another identical set. These do not work with XMP any longer!

What's the easiest way to not step down from 3200mhz -> 3000mhz (which SEEMS to work, but haven't done load testing to make sure yet. it does boot though). Does it even matter that much performance wise? I'm mostly performance sensitive for gaming, but I do some virtualization/docker stuff pretty frequently, hence the desire for more ram. Thanks!

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 8, 2020

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation

Klyith posted:

This is a nearly unavoidable consequence of going from 2 to 4 sticks in most systems. The most common memory layout for mobos is daisy chain, where the wires for slot 2 are connected directly behind slot 1. This makes memory very easy to qualify in a 1-stick-per-channel setup, but means that when 2 sticks are in a channel they have very slightly different timing (due to the speed of electricity between slot 1 & 2).

the alternate method is T topology which looks like a T, of course. it's better for 4 sticks, but worse when you have 2 sticks. and more expensive on the mobo.

Things that might work:
1. apply more voltage to the DIMMs

2. try CAS 18 at a variety of speeds -- 3200 should work but you might be able to bump it slightly higher. whether this is faster due to improved bandwidth or slower due to more latency is very task-dependent.

3. take the 3000 and call it a W because the performance difference is very minor

ItBreathes posted:

Going 4x sticks vs 2x can be less cooperative. I'd pop in the new kit separately to make sure it can hit it's rated speed alone. If not, return it, if it can just shrug - the performance difference will be extremely minute.

cheers mates, it's seemingly pretty stable at 3000 now so I'll run prime95 overnight or something and if it doesn't crash just let it ride.

edit: yeah it's failing like crazy on memtest. I'll return the new sticks. Thanks again!

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 8, 2020

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation

SopWATh posted:

Can you tell a difference? Is it amazing or almost exactly the same?

I don't notice 144hz being different if I start with it. If it gets turned off and I don't notice, it's very apparent when it is turned back on. Even on things like windows desktop mouse movement smoothness. It's weird.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
My m-audio speakers from (just checked) 2011 are finally on the fritz and I need to replace them. What's the go-to ~$150 ish computer speakers people are getting now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation

Booyah- posted:

It seems I also ordered RAM not on the QVL for my motherboard and chipset (5800x). Other G.Skill RAM is on this list but this particular one I chose on PcPartPicker is not.

Does something not being on the QVL mean that it might perform worse, or does it just mean that the maker of the motherboard hasn't tested that specific model for compatibility?

you might have trouble hitting rated XMP speeds automatically/without tweaking/at all