Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benedict
Mar 7, 2008

Why, yes, that is Glemdenning
The parcel has been dispatched.

Santee, you should be receiving 2!!! packages from wildly disparate vendors, so who knows which will arrive first!

Santee, make sure you read included notes/cards/tags carefully....

Benedict fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benedict
Mar 7, 2008

So query for you guys, as my wife and I are in disagreement.

We are both on a number of Secret Santa this year, and her opinion is that if a SS has say, a $35 price point, this INCLUDES shipping of the gift.

It is my opinion that when doing a secret Santa you should not include the shipping cost when totaling your gift. You should get a $35 gift and then figure out shipping.

We are literally at each others throats on this (in a nice way) and neither of us is budging.

So, we decided to open it up to the internet. Whats your opinion? Surprisingly enough I've never seen it codified in the rules or guidelines of any SS i've participated in.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

This secret Santa has it pretty well laid out

OP posted:

US$35 (or its approximate equivalent in Foreign Money), plus shipping.

Even if it wasn't codified in the OP, I'd assume without shipping for anything like this, especially with international people. Otherwise any AUS goons could end up with a packet of gummy worms (plus 30$ shipping) or some nonsense.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's clearly and repeatedly codified in the rules of this very Secret Santa - shipping is not included in that amount.

This is the only way that makes sense. Otherwise, someone could pick something that happens to be expensive to ship, and then the person gets much less gift. Shipping costs are not directly correlated with the value of a gift.

Also, if people procrastinate and then ship at the last minute, their shipping costs will be much higher, and the giftee shouldn't be penalized for that either.

Finally, if someone wants to control their shipping costs, they can: I do not require anyone to ship internationally unless they volunteer, and there are low or free shipping gifts out there to pick from, from various vendors.

e. Your wife may be thinking of secret santas that are not geographically distributed. If everyone is in the same town, and they're all shopping for literally any gift (rather than "TG-related gifts" or whatever) then the playing field in terms of shipping costs may be more level? Even so, you can always find some random small online vendors who is charging $25 to ship whatever. poo poo happens all the time on eBay, too, just... oh, this thing that costs $4.99 has a $35 shipping and handling charge for no discernable reason, welp.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 26, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Okay, second package has supposedly shipped but I have no tracking info. Hopefully it will still arrive, as the gift I have tracking info on makes a lousy solo gift.

Benedict
Mar 7, 2008

Like i said, i always assumed things like tax, shipping, gift wrapping, etc were not part of it, but that was just me so...glad to see im not crazy

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, appealing to goons on the internet has probably never won a single spousal disagreement for the goon.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Woo, managed to get my Santee's stuff tonight. I'll mail it off tomorrow before I head to my folks' place. Go ahead and toss me in for the lightning round.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cheer has been deployed!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The cheer is in the mail, per ancient prophecy.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

:siren::siren::siren:

GIFT DEPLOYED

:siren::siren::siren:

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I should have a package from my Santa waiting for me. I say should because it's an unexpected package from Amazon that showed up at my friend's place. I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow to know for sure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Per an email I sent last night, that is indeed the expected TGSS package!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Cheer deployed, I say cheer deployed...

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Turns out that it is a package from my Santa!

I wonder, whatever could it be? It is an awesome tabletop game or perhaps an icosahedron-shaped lump of coal? :ohdearsass: Opening it to figure out exactly what's inside will have to wait until closer to Christmas, though, as I am not expecting many physical gifts this year.

As for myself, I plan on ordering my own gift for my Santee no later than the 6th, for those keeping tabs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have received presents!!!

Photos and video coming in a bit. First and foremost, though: thank you, That Old Tree, for your generosity!

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Gift sent!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Leperflesh posted:

I have received presents!!!

Photos and video coming in a bit. First and foremost, though: thank you, That Old Tree, for your generosity!

How did you know!?!

I hope the board game is fun! I'm always a little nervous about gifting games I've never played myself, but it had good reviews and seemed up your alley.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have received word that cheer is out for delivery...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I received a package from Amazon this week that I haven't opened yet, because I'm at least waiting until December before opening my cheer, but since I'm in both the TG and Book Barn secret santa this year it could from either, so posting in both threads.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, as promised, photos and video!

I received this box

It contained things! I summoned the Assistants to assist:

The red bags appeared to be addressed to them. This is how that went.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5exI3BTB3pg

The green bag was apparently for me:

And inside:

Wow! That's a generous and cool gift! I had not heard of this game but reading up a bit it does look like my sort of thing. I'll bust this out at the next opportunity and see how it goes. Thank you, That Old Tree! You are an excellent gifter. I hope you enjoy the video of The Assistants doing their thing.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
That gift is just the cat’s bananas!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Awesome! I'm so glad your cats are into getting high. I've known a few that never really seem to care for catnip, though if I'd known you had four I wouldn't have worried even as little as I did. One of my cats helped me watch your video with some intensity.

I hope the game is fun! Thanks again for running this show. It's some good clean fun. Merry Christmas.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A package arrives.

A dog is thoroughly disinterested.

I'll be opening much closer to Christmas.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
So this appeared on my doorstep...

No name no note, but it was absolutely weird enough to be a TGSS gift!

Thank you AnonyGoon!

(Bonus cat assistant face)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My information is that you should expect additional items coming, Scool!

Last call for LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND 1! I'll kick off that round later tonight. We currently have 4 participants.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

My information is that you should expect additional items coming, Scool!

Last call for LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND 1! I'll kick off that round later tonight. We currently have 4 participants.

PM'd you

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Everyone's in the US for this round, looks like The Bloop is in, so we'll have a 5-er. I'll send out the emails shortly!

e. And they're all sent!

LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND 2 SIGNUPS BEGINS NOW!

Just like lightning bonus round 1, but now with 1 week less time to get stuff shipped!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 2, 2019

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Lightning round one gift sent!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Lightning Bonus round 1 cheer has been deployed!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Both my main-round gifts have been dispatched (alas, neither allowed gift options).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The AnonyGoon strikes again!

I happen to be a fan of West End Games Mastersystem, so getting one of the few licensed products I didn't already have was pretty cool.

The other product I had never heard of, and I am looking forward to going through it.

Conclusion:

Goons are the best Santas!

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I just massively spaced on filling out the gift info, but good! Everything arrived. I enjoyed metaphorically diving into the back shelf bin to find obscure and crappy RPGs of yore, they're all such weird artifacts.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I just want to say, one of the real joys with this thread is looking at what people receive, and then look at their OP and thinking how their Santa thought and what I would have done.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

occamsnailfile posted:

I just massively spaced on filling out the gift info, but good! Everything arrived. I enjoyed metaphorically diving into the back shelf bin to find obscure and crappy RPGs of yore, they're all such weird artifacts.

Thank you! :glomp:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Let's see, I got two packages today, one was expected, one was... not.

Nice heft, probably a couple of books or blocks of wood.

Oh, two books! Scum and Villainy and Eternity Realms, which I don't think I've heard of. Thanks Santa!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

Let's see, I got two packages today, one was expected, one was... not.

Nice heft, probably a couple of books or blocks of wood.

Oh, two books! Scum and Villainy and Eternity Realms, which I don't think I've heard of. Thanks Santa!

I'm glad they made it quickly. I've heard a lot of good things about Scum and Villainy. Eternity Realms was in the RPG section of my local used bookstore, and I figure even if it isn't good, per se, it might be entertainingly bad. Also should be a magnet in one of the books and a button in the bubble wrap.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I have received a package from my Santa, presumably main round. I'll open it once I have sent out my own gifts on the 5th!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Gift received, and now I feel like a real heel for not having sent mine, yet :( Will send it tomorrow, however. Pictures incoming, watch this space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

inscrutable horse posted:

Gift received, and now I feel like a real heel for not having sent mine, yet :( Will send it tomorrow, however. Pictures incoming, watch this space!

Shipping one of mine today. I prefer to take my time with stuff like this, don't worry, you've got time.