Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I look forward to this every year and immensely enjoy participating as a Santa. Looking back, it appears that this will be my 5th year in a row! I guess time flies when you lurk more often than post. Speaking of, let me get into my preferences – as my posting history is likely of little use.

Gift Preferences: Good news for you! I moved to the opposite coast of the USA as of a week ago and left nearly all of my tradgame possessions behind. So I won't be too upset if I end up with something I already own! I'm mainly into indie RPGs and non-collectable card games. I've also been playing more boardgames recently. Since I've downsized in housing, please keep the footprint of your gift in mind; a book, compact boardgame, or something similarly small would be appreciated. A a copy of OGRE or a big pile of minis, less so. Still, I would prefer to receive a physical gift. Cool accessories are also fine.

RPGs: Here's my RPG Geek list, if you want it to get better feel for what I like or check a gift idea against it. I enjoy tactical games such as D&D 4E, Fragged Empires, & Strike!, but am into more narrative or experimental games as well (e.g. PBtA & kin, ORE games, and the Marvel Heroic RPG). Weird and out there is fine with me – old school flavors of the same are less likely to stick. Because I haven't found a new roleplaying group yet, a gift in another category would probably see more immediate use.

Card Games: Netrunner is my jam, but I already have everything I need there. I also enjoy Keyforge. I've played FFG L5R in the past, but do not play currently. I've also played Magic previously, but haven't touched it since sometime around Kaladesh. I've dabbled with other games, but it's more of a casual interest in those.

Board Games: As above, here's my BGG list. I haven't actually been much into boardgames in the past, but my interest in them definitely picked up before my move. So they might be a nice way to meet new people with similar interests. I tend to mostly prefer American over Eurogames. Once again, please keep size in mind!

Miniatures: I've never gotten into miniatures, despite several tries. Warhammer Underworlds is an exception, since it's a mix of multiple mechanisms I enjoy. Probably pass on anything in this category; I just don't have the space right now.

Comics: Of the big two, I prefer Marvel. But I probably read more indie titles than supers. I have enjoyed Saga, Die, Monstress, Transformers, Fell's Five D&D, Ales Kot's Zero, Black Science, Trillium, and Southern Bastards amongst others.

Please, no: Video games, anime, dice (unless they're highly unusual), RPGs with poor rules (D&D 3.5, 5, PF 1e), products from known blights on the hobby (including Magpie Games {barring unbeknownst retractions}), etc.

General Location: SoCal, USA :ca:

Solemn Vow: On joyful day and jolliest night,
No Santee shall escape my sight.
For those who grinch a goon's delight,
Beware my wrath... Secret Santa's smite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I should have a package from my Santa waiting for me. I say should because it's an unexpected package from Amazon that showed up at my friend's place. I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow to know for sure.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Turns out that it is a package from my Santa!

I wonder, whatever could it be? It is an awesome tabletop game or perhaps an icosahedron-shaped lump of coal? :ohdearsass: Opening it to figure out exactly what's inside will have to wait until closer to Christmas, though, as I am not expecting many physical gifts this year.

As for myself, I plan on ordering my own gift for my Santee no later than the 6th, for those keeping tabs.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Cheer incoming! Santee, you should receive a package by this Thursday. Please look forward to it!

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 8, 2019

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
It's gift opening time!

I put in some effort negotiating with the  stray cats  freelance parcel inspectors working the territory at my new place, but couldn't reach an agreement with any of them to inspect my package this year. Maybe I'm not offering to compensate them fairly enough? :shrug: Well, guess I'll just have to open it with reckless disregard for my own safety. :ohdearsass:

It's Sushi Go!, a copy of the Expanse RPG, and two halves of different notes stuck to each other! I especially appreciate Amazon's consideration this year, giving me two puzzles to solve in addition to figuring out who my Santa is. :iiam:

The Expanse is a rather beautiful book and even has a fancy poster map of the solar system folded in the back. I haven't seen any of the show, but I've got access to Prime Video and heard good things from some friends about it, so I'll have to check it out as I read through my gift! And if I'm clueing the relevant note together, Sushi Go! is a drafting game, which fills a nice void in my board game collection. Drafting has always been a fun format for me, no matter the card game. So this little set collection game sounds like it should scratch that "sit and pass some packs" itch. I'm looking forward to wheeling some wasabi in the near future!

Thank you, Santa! These are great selections! And my apologies if you identified yourself in either of the gift notes; the smirks on the box must have eaten that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Gaghskull posted:

Holy crap, thank you Flex. You are an incredibly generous Santa. A merry Christmas to you!
I'm glad you like everything! Please do let me know if it turns out that there is an issue with the Season 2 box.