Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I never post, but I wanted to share. I had been on the hunt for a running and driveable vehicle for no more than $500 on FB marketplace. I didn't want to spend more than that because I am stubborn and I wanted some of the same luck that I see others get, finding diamonds in the rough.

Enter, the Black Diamond!

1996 Isuzu Rodeo, 4cyl 5 speed, near perfect interior and running like a sewing machine. It needs a clutch, which I picked up for $80 and will be my first attempt at a transmission drop/clutch swap. 148K and bought from a little old lady who has owned it since 98.

image uploader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Good luck, clutch should be ez-pz.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I owned the SWB Vauxhall Frontera version of these. Build quality on the Luton version was diabolical, but they're genuinely quite a good SUV with decent off-road capability.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is a 2wd drive that will get upgraded shocks, tires, maybe a lift, but just for looks since I don't do anything offroad. While I would have loved to find a 4wd, prices for most anything 4wd here in the South are outrageous.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Paint aside not a bad score for 500bux. I'd love to see what a buff and wax would do.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The best car I ever owned was an Isuzu truck. You've done well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Previa_fun posted:

Paint aside not a bad score for 500bux. I'd love to see what a buff and wax would do.

TBH probably worth quite a bit more than $500 to the right person. Clean interior and working AC go a long way.

GF's car has absolutely trashed paint, but low miles, mint interior, and the only mechanical issue is a tiny PS fluid leak that I've been too lazy to fix (I have the hose for it). She thinks it's worth $500, I'm pretty sure she could get $2500-3000 for it (05 Matrix with 90k, 1 owner, ice cold AC - it carries the Toyota tax, the "actual usable to haul poo poo CUV" tax, and the working AC tax).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm considering flat blacking the whole thing, or waiting until tax time and getting a Maaco cheap paint special. The paint is gone, to the point where it's dusty when I run my finger across it. There are spots down to the sheet metal, but no rust that I can see so far.

It was way too cold to do anything to Rudy the Rodeo, but I checked all the fluids, lights, buttons and everything works. She must have replaced the headlights at some point because these are not weathered at all. The heat is hot and the AC is cold enough. Just the fact that it drove the 40 miles home had me ecstatic, and it felt great to drive an actual 5speed again. My Genesis Coupe was triptronic and while fun, just wasn't satisfying.

I'll end up using this thread to post the clutch replacement. Rockauto had a clutch kit for $80 bucks, and I will probably do the rear main and throwout bearing at the same time.