Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mo Dao Zu Shi, also known as The Master of Diabolism, The Untamed, or The Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation is a Chinese novel by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu that has been adapted into a manhua, an anime, and a live action drama among other things.

quote:

Xian: the state of immortality that all cultivators strive to achieve. However, there is a dark energy that lies underneath—the forbidden Mo Dao, or demonic path. Through an unfortunate series of tragedies, this is the path that cultivator Wei Wuxian experiments with during his teachings. His rise in power is accompanied by chaos and destruction, but his reign of terror comes to an abrupt end when the cultivation clans overpower him and he is killed by his closest ally.

Thirteen years later, Wei Wuxian is reincarnated in the body of a lunatic and reunited with Lan Wangji, a former classmate of his. This marks the beginning of a supernatural mystery that plagues the clans and threatens to disrupt their everyday life.

Mo Dao Zu Shi follows these two men on their mission to unravel the mysteries of the spiritual world. Fighting demons, ghosts, and even other cultivators, the two end up forming a bond that neither of them had ever expected. (MAL)

Where to read/watch it:
The manhua has an official English translation on Wecomics
You can watch the anime on TenCent's youtube channel -- playlist here
and Netflix recently added the live action version as The Untamed or you can watch it also on YouTube.
There's also a fan translation of the novel which I won't link but is fairly easy to find.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The drama is also on the YouTube channel.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nice, I didn't realize it was also on there so I'll add a link.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's a PV to give you some idea what the animation looks like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWoIQkVB5r0

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

When is the next season :argh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Queued up the anime!

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I don't know how you fujos put up with this stuff. 16 episodes in and they haven't even kissed yet!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
most of that is in the novel apparently, as best I can tell every adaption has stripped more of the romance out of it

e: and yeah, I've mostly been following the comic and it's more overt -- still a lot of stuff apparently cut or glossed over though. I'd like to check out the novel eventually but I kinda need the pictures to remember who all the side characters are

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 15, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

the manhua isn't too lacking thankfully

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you want actual kissing in Chinese anime, you're gonna have to watch Spiritpact, which I love a lot, but the animation downgrade takes a little getting used to.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
what's the full title of this one? all I can find for the name is "Hualian" which just gets me fan posts for the most part
https://twitter.com/allboutheyaoi/status/1196079900626579457?s=20
Looks pretty neat

e: N/M found it myself: Heaven Official’s Blessing

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 17, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
why did they make the rabbits so creepy D:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/Velinxi/status/1202002484794920963?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Saw this image floating around on my tl, it's from the TGCF donghua (Heaven Official's Blessing the thing from a couple posts back) for reaching 1m+ followers (source)

I've been reading the manhua of this one a bit and the art is beautiful but the story is kind of hard to follow, I assume because it skips a bunch of novel content. If the donghua lives up to the comic's art though holy poo poo, it'll be absolutely gorgeous.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
this thread has a bunch of info on how to access & read stuff
https://twitter.com/zhangxc3/status/1211847398932135938?s=20

Hooks
Aug 26, 2007

He'll save children, but not the British children
Fun Shoe

Everything Burrito posted:

this thread has a bunch of info on how to access & read stuff
https://twitter.com/zhangxc3/status/1211847398932135938?s=20

I've been meaning to read this novel before the show comes out, so thanks for the link!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
^ :hfive:

https://twitter.com/cuchallain/status/1212224633421864962?s=20

:3:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 1, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't dug into any of this stuff but it looks interesting, just wanted to drop this here in case anyone was interested (thread):
https://twitter.com/IneluctableM/status/1213955875456634881?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/jinzixuans/status/1216966859502698497?s=19

Thread of a bunch of artists who draw official art; several of them have twitter accounts if you'd like to fill your tl with pretty boys and bunnies

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

I'm really excited for S3 of the donghua, although I'm in the middle of The Untamed right now. The original author has all three of her big works slated for donghua. I'm most excited for Scum Villain's Self-Saving System, even though that one has struggled with drama. A manhua started for it, but the fans found out that the company making it had an employee who'd said something negative about the series in the past on Twitter or Weibo or something? And so they flipped out, the manhua got taken down, and no other company has picked it up yet. TGCF has one at the moment, though.

As for MDZS, I really love it. Wen Ning is probably my favorite character. The plot twists and development are a lot of fun (I don't want to discuss them in depth since this is for every piece of MDZS media), and the visuals in the donghua and live action are gorgeous. I haven't looked at the manhua yet, but the translation of the novel into English, while unofficial, is coherent and interesting.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Scum Villain looks pretty fun, I haven't read anything other than a bit of plot summary just to get some idea who the characters are as yet though. I've been getting deeper into the fandom side and it's hard to keep track of what everyone is talking about because it's so coded with initials and ship names (I still don't know what beefleaf is)

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

Scum Villain looks pretty fun, I haven't read anything other than a bit of plot summary just to get some idea who the characters are as yet though. I've been getting deeper into the fandom side and it's hard to keep track of what everyone is talking about because it's so coded with initials and ship names (I still don't know what beefleaf is)

The initials are so confusing! I've gotten better at it, but seeing LWJ/LZ when I've already learned two or three names for the characters (like... Lan Zhan, Lan Wangji, & Hanguang Jun) is A Lot. I mostly stick to fanfiction because I can tab out and check character names easily or just... power through and figure out who's who eventually via context clues. I couldn't tell you what beefleaf is either... but if I don't know it, it's probably TGCF.

Scum Villain is good, although it has some of the more shady BL tropes? I'd Strongly Recommend skipping pretty much every sex scene, because they are Horrendous. But on the other hand, it is better about keeping women alive than MDZS. The author did write it before MDZS and TGCF, and you can tell that she's gotten more experienced since, but I really enjoy the supporting cast.

Oh! Here's the trailer for the SVSSS. It kind of feels like the unfavorite, since it got 3DCG treatment, but I'm still excited for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO1rcyLbefg

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ahhh shame about the cg, I hadn't seen that trailer tho so thanks for posting it! the noble guy with a whiny nerd internal voice seems like something that could be really funny once it's in motion, I saw a teaser a couple weeks ago that had a voice clip but I can't find it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

ahhh shame about the cg, I hadn't seen that trailer tho so thanks for posting it! the noble guy with a whiny nerd internal voice seems like something that could be really funny once it's in motion, I saw a teaser a couple weeks ago that had a voice clip but I can't find it now

Yes! I'm really excited to see how that plays out! There's a mechanic where he can't be OOC, so I think his internal dialogue vs his external appearance is going to be hilarious. Here's hoping!