Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's the poo poo I needed for lockdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can see the end game of Berserk being Guts killing Griffith, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to be "Casca and Guts agree Griffith needs to be euthanised to kill the monster he became" rather than the burning revenge that consumed Guts for so long.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I feel as though it was very kind of Miura to let Togashi get on the boat just as he got off it.

There must always be a manga stranded on the ocean.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

saw some leaked images of this month's chapter and the art is clean is heck hot doggit dam

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have all 5 (6?) Berserk Deluxe releases to date and would say if you like Berserk and can deal with having a book series that realistically speaking, might not actually finish, you owe it to yourself to get them. They're brilliant.

It's pretty fair to say Miura's settled into the transition to digital now... hot drat. And the implications on the story front, next chapter soon, I beg you. The end message is heartbreaking though, thoughts and wishes to the family and friends.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I've got all the dark horse paperbacks and have been slowly replacing them with the omnibuses as they are coming out and they are pretty cool. I was pretty excited because a lot of the cropping of the pages in the paperbacks seemed pretty jacked up with word bubbles and stuff being cut off, but it still seems pretty bad in the omnis too. Is this just a manga thing, or is it a Berserk thing?

It has some cutting off, but it's infrequent. I think it's probably just the raw files they use for their Berserk prints so replicated across all copies/formats.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They're going to put Griffith down out of respect for the man (they thought) he was, not revenge, imo.

Griffith will probably accept it like Light in Death Note.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the guts humanity thing is 100% true

griffith being king pawn is definitely possible too, especially if the removed chapter is still ultimately relevant overall

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

even if griffith turns out to be the king of the cosmic playthings, he still undeniably and fully did everything wrong

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It wasn't the same after the first big hiatus anyway. No loss, unlike never seeing the end of this would be.

I don't know if it's a real interview but Togashi even said that the 2011 anime's stopping point Gon meets that piece of poo poo Ging on top of the tree is basically the end of the original story anyway, and the next arc is because there's more to tell in that universe. You'd have hanging plot threads and some things left a bit unsatisfactorily ended if you leave it there but it's a good place to hope off of HxH if you ever choose to read it.

Togashi's 100% too poorly to finish HxH and if he's not going to have someone draw it while he writes the story, there's no chance that story wraps up. There's nothing to suggest Miura is unwell and incapable of finishing Berserk and his pace is maintaining well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The big rear end Deluxe volumes are around 50% in now, by my reckoning.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

temple posted:

Time to stimulate the economy!

Worth every penny.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

Like no joke it ranks up there with Lord of the Rings or A song of Ice and Fire.

The books, just so we're clear.

damning with faint praise with that asoiaf mention

(i think Lotr is a chore to read most of the time but i respect how well written it is)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't believe it.

This is loving heartbreaking.
Rest in peace Kentaro.

Your masterpiece means a lot to me and so did you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sad that it ended prematurely, and as LordMune says, ending here is as maybe as good of an ending as Berserk was going to get.

But I had always thought that Berserk would end with Miura saying "I can't do this anymore, I'm sorry" and then he lived out the rest of his life peacefully and passed in another 30 years.
A heart attack at 54 is just cruel.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hirasawa soundtrack on loop today.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Always worth including as well.

Just good god.

How is it even possible to put art this good in a manga.
What a loss.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good soup! posted:

Man I understand not wanting someone else to draw it but gently caress some of that noise, I want to see a summary of how this poo poo was supposed to end lmao

I put too much time into this poo poo you wonderful dead bastard, just give me the bullet points

I'd like to hear an outline of how things were going to go too, but if we never get it, that's okay.
I'm sure his assistants are amazing, but no one could hold a candle to Miura.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/kazamaraita/status/1395307779842220032

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Plutonis posted:

The manga industry is horrid.

This has to change. Regardless of it being someone you idolise or not, no one should be making cries for help in the author notes sections.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've fallen off the manga hard but the My Hero Aca was taking frequent hiatuses due to health a couple of years back and he's only 34, Togashi is utterly hosed and I'm more and more glad that HxH is in its longest hiatus yet, because it probably means he's not killing himself to draw it. Nothing is worth the blood, sweat and ultimately, life they put into these works.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Twitch posted:

I said that waiting to see the end of Berserk was my reason for not attempting suicide in at least one occasion when I was in my 20s and in a much worse place. I loved seeing the outlook of Berserk really change over the years as I also started learning to have a more positive outlook in general.

Carry on surviving, Struggler.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sydin posted:

Berserk ended with Guts succeeding in his mission to restore Casca's sanity and reach a place of relative safety and peace. Casca still has her own horrible traumas to work through, but just as Guts pushed through all his pain and suffering to once again find the ability to love and rely on others, Casca can too. In his last conversation with SK, Guts learned just how self-destructive the mindless pursuit of revenge can be, and finally cemented that his pursuit of Griffith wasn't worth it: something that the manga had been building to for a long time. The final culmination of Guts telling Zodd to piss off because he cared more about his comrades than "a pissing contest between monsters."

It's not a perfect ending. It certainly wasn't the planned ending. But somehow, someway, even in the face of tragedy circumstances contrived that Berserk's "ending" was, at least, ultimately satisfying of its own overarching themes.

I agree that if Berserk needed to end, here is the best place it could have ended at basically any point in its story to date. Casca is regaining herself, she would have gotten to the point where she could approach Guts and talk to him. Guts was able to rest and was in safety, his followers are also safe, they're not on the loving boat....

But this is just not how it should have ended, the way Miura died is not fair (and I know this happens every day to people who aren't famous, but it's not loving fair then either). I feel selfish because it feels like life stole more Berserk from me, more Miura masterpieces, but the actual tragedy is that the Miura family lost Kentaro way too young, and he gave too much of his life to make his legacy. And I love his legacy, it'll be eternal and extends far beyond the work itself, but the way it had to end feels so wrong.

The fact that he was just a genuinely good person, making sure others were okay, not embroiled in defending the skeezy pedo poo poo in manga recently, hurts more.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have been a half sobbing wreck all day and I'm frustrated because I have almost no outlet. GF doesn't understand, she's only read a few pages, so I'm having to reach out to the corners of the weeb internet to feel better.

I feel you. None of his works would interest my partner, and I only have one friend who likes Berserk so it's hard to truly get across that this japanese comic with lots of tits, gore and swords is actually a deeply emotional story about trauma, grief and persevereing because life and love is worth fighting for until the very end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Andrigaar posted:

I'm now left wondering how much story telling was left, if that one interview with him deciding to wrap up the world building and push the final arc wasn't too far off of the mark of his actual machinations.

Gotta retrain Caska against the years of atrophy (I guess if she's interested in being a soldier again), show more of Falconia being a huge farce, get your epic revenge stories back to a rolling boil, figure out who the weakest link in Griffith's army is that will backstab the kingdom because they feel ignored/sleighted, etc. Not saying this wouldn't have been 10 years worth of content.

Oh, and have a few chapters of double-splashes so Griffith can zip around the battlefield and kill more fantasy monsters that are zero threat to him, but makes the citizenry oooh and ahhh in his presence.

There was probably another 20+ years of content left on Miura's previous schedule, honestly, and an actual ending was probably never on the cards even if Miura were to have passed of old age due to the inevitable loss of dexterity, etc.
He wouldn't have cut corners.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Schnoz is iconic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Larryb posted:

Seems like the general consensus so far is that Miura's assistant is taking over the series but yeah, it could also be possible it just means he’s going to be starting a project of his own. We’ll see I suppose.

It's a completely baseless assumption in every single way.
Hakusensha will announce what will happen to Berserk in time, but the most likely outcome is that it's over, they'll still make merch & publish anything not in a volume yet though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Larryb posted:

What’s wrong with the 2016 version exactly?

This is one of very few occasions where "what isn't" is a valid answer.

It's a sick irony that one of the most beautiful manga of all time has the ugliest adaptation ever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-14s-naoki-yoshida-on-the-death-of-berserk-creator-kentaro-miura-its-unfathomable/

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Eej posted:

Oh nooooo, now the forum will turn against Studio Gaga...

https://twitter.com/go_kohske/status/1395860747381481473?s=19

There are no lies detected and anyone who disagrees or pushes back on this is in the wrong.
That being said, scanlations will never be eradicated and people will always read them and then claim they're the creators biggest supporters.

I'm guilty of this and I reckon most people here are too.

I try to buy official releases of products from reputable sellers of all the series I love, which is why I have Berserk Deluxe, Berserk Figmas etc. I'm not saying this to be holier than thou, but it's something that's been on my mind for a while and I want to give back to the people who give everything to their works.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josh Christ posted:

Not having the rights to part 4 until a couple years ago and having to layout the volumes as they're going (pt 1-3 are just the JoJonium collections) didn't help, neither did rereleasing the first three parts. It's been releasing on a normal schedule though.

Golden Wind physical releases start in August, so it really is trucking along.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, the story we have is the story we have and Griffith was entirely compromised, mute, disfigured and crippled at the time of the eclipse in the story we had, but there's nothing really in the story to suggest that if he were "in his prime" so to speak when the offer to sacrifice were occurring, he'd have said no to the offer of immediate, world ruling power.

The chat with Charlotte which ultimately plants the seeds of doubt in Guts mind where he basically says he has no friends, just sheep, is a good example of it. Griffith never gave much of a single poo poo about anyone except for Guts, and only for a moment. He definitely didn't care for Casca or the other hawks, they were just highly effective weapons of war.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 23, 2021

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SpudCat posted:

Put together with the later arcs it becomes tragic-- after all the development and self-actualization he got in the Golden Age, the trauma of the Eclipse caused Guts to regress into the worst parts of himself. The way he gradually gets past the no-touching thing only for it to come roaring back is especially sad. I think it's a testament to Miura's skills that the super-edgy, seat-of-the-pants storytelling from the opening arc ends up looking planned.

Opening scene of Guts banging demon lady notwithstanding. It's so goofy I'd never change it for the world, though.

Agreed.
It's not bad when the opening pages of the manga are the only time your protagonist ends up feeling out of character though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status/1395242378022178819?s=20

Wow I definitely would have guessed Star Wars or Conan as the highest selling Dark Horse published comic.

In fairness, Star Wars comics aren't generally one long running serialisation so in total, they might outnumber Berserk sales but no individual SW comic has out performed it. Same going for Conan.

Not to say Berserk being highest seller isn't awesome.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have to admit, I'm still hurting from losing Miura. Just pops into my mind randomly during the day and boom, sad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Much of Miyazaki's works contain homages to Berserk so the werewolf being called a Berserk homage is the least stretchy stretch possible.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think this will be a very bittersweet release, come September. Bitter for a very long time but I'd be really keen to see the messages booklet translated.

It's been quite a while since Miura passed and I'm sort of happy if Young Animal release anything Miura had left behind in a finished form but I don't want any Berserk that hasn't had Miura's art in it somewhere, even if it's using a framework he left behind.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Relin posted:

he didnt seem that enthused about finishing it...

i mean, he's on record saying he sacrified any sort of social life and regularity for his art so i don't think that's true.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

you can leave the biggest most detailed plan of all time, there's always going to be something that pops up in writing that you'd forgotten or seemed incidental at the time which has more ramifications than you'd anticipated it would and then when your notes don't tell you about what to do with it, you need to go with what you think would be the best course of action and that might not be what Miura would have chose, it may have been.

do the ramifications of this oversight make another thing hard to square with the notes? And then another? how long until the plan you've had to adjust to accomodate everything is no longer the plan you were left?

it's going to be hard to call any berserk continuation the ending miura would have wanted to write unless you write rigidly to his notes and it's probably not possible to write a good manga to rigid notes you can't ask for elaboration on.
it's also not guaranteed that a berserk continuation is going to be bad purely because miura has passed, if it does indeed keep going

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's very much a "We're probably going to wait and see how this lands and what the demand is and go from there".

Gotta say it's lovely how they included the message in English as well.