Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I don't know if you guys are familiar with the Valkyrie Profile franchise but a character from it, Arngrim, is based on Guts.

Well, I just found out that the lovely mobile gacha game Valkyrie Profile Anatomia had a crossover event a couple years ago where you could summon Guts...and they used the lovely 2016/2017 anime render and headshot :doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwJNH6BHIYo

oh well at least I can consume both "franchises that I love that have been constantly shat upon" in one single place

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Harlock posted:

Berserk resumes April 24th.

The quarantine finally got Miura to write!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
wait no Griffith? I wanted to find out if they finished building the school

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Miura's already straight-up said in interviews that Berserk isn't gonna have a full-on downer ending, because he's too attached to the characters at this point and assumes the fans largely feel the same way, and thinks a downer would be too unsatisfying at this stage.

People have been waiting 30 years for the ending. If Guts doesn't get a semblance of a happy ending there will be riots

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Well, we got 3 whole chapters this year...could have been worse

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The Casca and Guts dancing scene would have worked if they hadn't cut a lot of important establishing moments (like the bonfire of dreams or Gut's rescue of Casca being drastically shortened) and if it didn't come at the expense of the Queen's conspiracy and death (which helps understand Griffith's rashness with Charlotte since he is used to getting away with things). I felt that it did a good job at portraying Casca's frustration and conflicting feelings towards both Guts and Griffith at that point in the story.

Also even if a bit uncharacteristic, Guts deserves more happy moments :(

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 1, 2021

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
It should have happened in the 2016 one. I dunno, I didn't watch it. But iirc Zodd loses his horn while fighting dream Griffith before he is reborn.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’m in the middle of volume 10 and I love Guts and Caska’s relationship. I know this won’t end well and it sucks. I want these broken people to be happy :(.

You are on the same boat as everyone else. Spoilers: we are not making port anytime soon

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Idk why but every few months Berserk trends in my country from people trying to cancel it for being too violent and then the fans arguing that the violence serves a purpose and it's the best manga.

This is like the 3rd time this happened in a year. It gets me excited because I think a new chapter was released but nope :eng99:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This year officially sucks more than last one. RIP

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

This gif will always crack me up. There's the obvious gently caress up of Guts' design and movement, and then you have Farnese and Casca slowly sliding out of frame for no reason.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Larryb posted:

Was the voice work and music ok at least? And did anyone from the 90’s series return to reprise their role?

Voices are ok. There is some good music out there, specially the openings. The sound effects though...it's as if they wanted to make both a visually and auditive offensive adaptation.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Larryb posted:

So the 2016 anime is a disaster in most respects then, good to know. Out of curiosity though, how much of the manga does it actually cover and is anything cut or changed like was the case in the 90’s series?

The 2016 one covers the Conviction Arc, sans the Lost Children chapter (95 to 117) because...well. You'll see. It's a shame though because it plays an important part in Guts' character growth.

The 2017 anime covers the first half of the Falcon of the Millenium Arc. Something around 177 to 226.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It was a trilogy, imo the CGI stuff is only really kinda jarring in the first film. The third film is really about as good as Miura's art may ever get animated and the CGI stuff is much better integrated and you don't notice as much as they switch between models.

I agree on this and I particularly really liked the 2nd movie. The only issue I had with the 3rd movie is that either the 3D models or the color palette they chose made it look too pretty, I guess? Like I think that the rough artstyle of the 97' anime really worked in it's favour for the depiction of the Eclipse.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheLoneStar posted:

Good to know. But man, six years? Considering what I've heard about the hiatuses with Berserk, something tells me it's not because the flashbacks take up a ton of chapters.

Nah, save the first year, the Golden Age arc was posted very consistently at around 2 chapters per month. Golden Age arc is just a very long flashback.

The hiatus didn't start becoming a regular thing till Falcon of The Millenium arc in 2004. Before that he'd at worst miss publications for 1 month and a half.

e: beaten to the point. But to make this post worth,

Re: the first chapter due to some characterization that happens later on Miura kinda regreted the way he started the first chapter.

Re: Puck, the first time I read the manga during the first arc I found him slightly annoying and thought he might have been a tool used by Miura being insecure at the time, since Puck would spell out what Guts was feeling when it was perfectly understandable just from the expressions. Later on this ability kinda completely phases out and Puck becomes a better character.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 23, 2021

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Viridiant posted:

I really don't think any of "the crew" would use Becchi. One of them might face a temptation, but I don't think they'd end up doing it.

My guess was that either Guts or Casca would accidentally activate it at some point. We've seen that this is inevitable, that no matter what the Behelit would find it's way to it's owner right at their moment of most despair.

We have however seen that the outcome of the Behelit's activation is not fixed when the count refused to sacrifice his daughter. So either Guts refuses to sacrifice Casca and proceeds to tell the demons from hell to gently caress off when they attempt to claim his soul, or Casca refuses to sacrifice Guts, the demons from hell try to claim her soul and Guts tells them to gently caress off.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheLoneStar posted:

Guts had ONE job. Just had to kill one guy and he hosed up and killed a kid too.

But for real though, bet that's going to haunt him for years to come, poor Adonis. Something I never commented on was how much I really love the art of Berserk. Every page is amazing, and there's so much detail in the battles, the armor, the clothing of the royalty. Such a treat for the eyes.

I mean it's not entirely Guts fault. For being so smart, Griffith did the equivalent of sending the loving Juggernaut on a stealth assassination mission. At the very least should have stopped Guts when he saw him going out the door with his meat cleaver equipped and go "dude, maybe try a knife or a poisoned arrow, you know, for ironic ha ha purposes"

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 24, 2021

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

dropping slurs and such at totally inappropriate moments. He couldn't just let it be normal edgy, it had to be edgy edgy.

Reminded me of the favorite line of my 8 year old inner child.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AssnQiOU54

God loving dammit. The 2017 anime finally got an emotion out of me, but at what cost.

(I had forgotten about this talk. Might be time to do a full reread)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
He probably knows the gist of it by osmosis since it's THE most popular event of the series.

I'm more interested by his reaction to the mini arc right after.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Reserving the next 3 pages for the incoming "Griffith did nothing wrong" talk

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Since first-time readers are past the Eclipse point I can finally link these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9iMfRBDf0

Also this is a really cool moment during the Eclipse from the movies :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sz9cgtNBgs

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 24, 2021

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Mazed posted:

Got up through the Tower of Conviction arc in my reread.

God drat. Luca is just the best character. The best person.

"Bunch of hosed up demons eating everyone, but you need to remember to take care of yourself."

"Guess I've died and gone to hell. How's your day going, Skull Knight?"

"Pour one out for the weird little egg man. Yeah this might be all his fault, but he had it rough."

Yeah she is. Throughout the entire arc I was expecting her to betray Casca and the girls at some point because so far the world of Berserk had been a crapsack world and she was either a hypocrite with a superiority complex like Griffith or because her life would be in danger and she'd use Casca and the girls as a bargaining chip.

But then it turns out she is a genuinely nice lady and her whole reason for being like that is "hey, this is a crapsack world, someone's gotta be nice" :unsmith:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
God I loving hate Charlotte. She is the stupidest character by a long mile and I couldn't see her becoming any smarter. Like I get it she was spoiled and sheltered, but come the gently caress on

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Viridiant posted:

If all I knew of Griffith was everything that Charlotte saw, as a teenager, I'd be smitten with him too. She's pretty naive, but I don't see any reason to consider her stupid. It's been a bit since I've read through though so if someone could refresh my memory I'd appreciate it.

She is young and royalty yes, but she just never grows or learns, unlike Theresa who by comparison was a lot more sheltered. She's undergone at least 3 to 4 different traumas at this stage and she still believes everything at face value, and is very little proactive waiting for someone who was a tattered corpse last she saw to save her kingdom from the Kushan while her people suffer. She could have averted at least 2 major conflicts if she was a little bit smarter.

When the King threw Griffith into the torture dungeon she could have done a lot more to help him, specially after finding that her father was a creeper, she had all the leverage. She could have threatened to starve or kill herself if he didn't release Griffith, or he could have attempted to expose her father's attempted rape to some of the other nobles.

With the Ganishka she could have tried to give in to his demands or negotiate in order to spare her people, though it probably wouldn't have worked given the monster Ganishka was, but she had no knowledge of this to not even try.

And then when Griffith returned she wasn't the slightest bit suspicious that he might be an imposter considering she saw how disfigured and maimed he was. Without Charlotte's support Griffith can't have her ideal tea party kingdom.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 5, 2021

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Flesnolk posted:

Any of them presuming to replace Miura would be outright blasphemy, best to just post an outline of what would have happened then leave

I don't see it that way. His assistants had a lot of respect for Miura and from what they tweeted he had a huge impact on their professional life. If they had an outline no matter how vague and decided to continue Berserk, I'd see it as them trying to honor Miura's memory by seeing his life's work completed in the same way as Spielberg honored Kubric with the infamous A.I ending.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

christmas boots posted:

What's crazy is that he really hasn't been using the armor all that long in-universe (out of universe it's been decades, of course) so it's wasting him quick

This realization really hosed up my head :psyboom: He has only actually used the armor 3 times, I think? (when he first obtains it, vs the demons at the beach and vs the sea god)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I binged the Squid Games yesterday and it gave me a childish joy seeing the bulk of the internet discussion being centered around Sang-woo did nothing wrong

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
is that fanmade or was it an actual advertisement for something?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

the OP has been permabanned for a little under 2 years now, would it be a good idea to start a new thread and close this one off once the next chapter comes out?

Uuuh...boy that is quite the rap sheet

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
yeah idk what people mean with nothing's happened. it's common in berserk that after a big bomb drops a chapter is dedicated to showing how the characters and the world around reacts.

this reminded me a bit of chapter 306, the one that happens after the BIG UNIVERSAL SQUISH that just goes around showing how the world around has changed.

sans the double page spread because we don't want another mangaka's heart exploding

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
where are you guys reading this, give me some sauce

e: nvm chapter came out yesterday im dumb

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I think that there's a certain charm to 90s anime that goes beyond just nostalgia.

For instance last year I watched the entirey of Jojo for the first time including the part 3 OVA, so I have no emotional attachment to it, and I loved how much more intense everything felt in it and I think a lot of it stems from the fact that 90s anime knew when to shut the gently caress up, be silent, let shots hang and just use background noise effects like water dripping or cars in the distance. The best example I can think of is the standoff between Jotaro and Dio after the later gets his head caved in and before he escapes by hanging on to a passing by car. In the anime the background OST keeps playing all throughout it, the blood gushing is a lot more exagerated and cartoony looking and they don't stop talking, whereas in the OVA it's just 2 stills of Dio and Jotaro back and forth, the scene starts silent with only Dio laughing and then the music slowly builds up till Dio makes his move and escapes

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

great meme potential though

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Kart Barfunkel posted:

How long was that stupid timer counting down for again?

2 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
"Man, I'm mentally exhausted from the World Cup's Finals. I guess I'm going to drop by the Berserk thread and see if a new chap---"

:yikes: