Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Started reading Berserk yesterday. After 150 chapters, I can honestly say this is far better than Game of Thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

And the 2016/2017 anime adaption is just as disappointing as season 8 of Game of Thrones!

Those abominations should never have been made. Terribly written and horribly animated.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ETURNA posted:

:negative:

I knew this would happen!

And just like Game of Thrones I now have this to look forward to as well, don't I?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Caught all the way up. Goddamn this is a good story.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TheKirbs posted:

Isn't Void, God Hand with the cape and exposed brain, implied to have been his right hand man.

It's heavily implied that he was a heretical religious figure who so wanted to end the empire of Gaiseric that he became a member of the God Hand.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone think Guts has it in him to kill the moonchild should he find out that the child is Griffith

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think Sonia will take down Griffith through mass influence after coming to hate him (she, after all, isn't an apostle and/or tied to the Godhand). If suddenly most of Falconia despised Griffith that would have to lessen his grip.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Flora, who I would consider to be maybe the most in tune human as pertaining to causality and fate in the series, says to Schierke that while the Gods prescribe fate humans choose that fate. She illustrates this by pointing to Guts, who defies the fate prescribed to him by the same entities.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A theory I've been kicking around for awhile now is that the Skull Knight was a member of the Godhand who was the Griffith of his time, contrary to the idea that he was the Guts of his time. He was made a member of the Godhand (the woman in his arms with the brand was his sacrifice), and was then granted incarnation. He united the world under one banner similar to how the world seems united by Griffith under the banner of Falconia. In time the sage who decried Gaiseric (Void) ascended to the Godhand at the nexus of their world (the tower of conviction) sparking a massive culling of humans and fracturing the world (and Gaiseric's kingdom). The amount of people sacrificed was substantially large and traumatic to the existing human world, and is directly correlated with Void's prominent role/power within the Godhand (because it served as a greater tribute to the Idea of Evil as a much more evil act). It then follows that Griffith can't go back to the Godhand as Femto and reside there like Void/Slan/Conrad/Ubik, and that the interacting flow between material/astral generally trends out as opposed to in (many behelits kicked out to material world > humans allowed in). He may, in time, have the same fate as the Skull Knight. Have his toybox taken away, forced to wander the land until the end of days.

Edit: there are details my sleep deprived brain is likely forgetting that would directly contradict this, but I feel alright about this theory.

Hilario Baldness fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 14, 2021

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
While I do think the Idea of Evil /Godhand is herding people to Falconia, I don't think its for the purpose of human extermination for the reason referred to above. The Idea of Evil would effectively be destroying its medium. Rather, I think it sets a grand stage for an event to strengthen human belief in evil (i.e.: strengthening the Idea of Evil and propagate it's influence) if they are witness to something truly despicable (mass sacrifice) that pulls the rug out from under people who are now inspired to hope by the hawk of light.

I additionally the think the Godhand members either graduate to join the Idea of Evil / wrest the throne or max out and dissipate to nothingness and have a rotating roster to explain the change in members (I feel confident that the Skull Knight's vision was of Godhand members).

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't see the elimination of the Godhand as an ending to the series, much less the Idea of Evil. A happy ending to me is Guts abandoning his driving force of revenge and personal animus and getting off the cycle of tragedy that has defined his life. Making a good life with Casca and serving as an exemplar of redemption

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"God has already chosen your destiny, but it is up to each person to make the choices, or so I believe."

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

Can I just say, the sheer fact we can have this kind of complex conversation about morality and the nature of what it even means to be a person and the complexities therein, without it being SO FAR BEYOND THE SCOPE of what the work is actually about, is one of the things I loving love about Berserk

Oh most definitely. I tried explaining it to one of my coworkers that saw me reading it and I said it was like Game of Thrones meets Hellraiser, but philosophically profound and moving.

They looked over my shoulder and saw the scene of Slan made of troll intestines being disemboweled by Guts and called bullshit.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bisse posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo

looks like someone attended ash wednesday service

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pnumoman posted:

Feel free to post your reactions as you go along, it's great fun to follow along with someone reading this for the first time.

Agreed. Especially if you aren't familiar with the story.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have made the decision to get a Berserk tattoo.

I'm between the panel of when Guts ripped his arm off and he's screaming, or the panel of Jill looking at Guts through the flame and commenting on how he looked like a terrifying monster.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Notorious ZSB posted:

What you need is Casca's vision of Guts when she sees him for the first time after being repaired across your back. It would be epic.

If my back wasn't already tatted I would consider this or the image of the all the apostles in the eclipse

Pyrotoad posted:

I mean the classic choice is your very own brand of sacrifice, although the hand holding the crimson behelit is a good one too.

It's illegal in this state but I've thought about scarification for a brand

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This is a hard day, and I'm very sad.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wait so does Griffith win by default?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Diabetic posted:

So do we think they are ending it here with that cliffhanger or do we hear anything that leads to believe that Miura's assistants will try to press onward?

Honestly, whatever Miura wanted. If he wanted his people to finish it, I hope they finish it. If he didn't want that, I hope they leave it alone.

Like christmas boots said, if they decide not to finish it I hope they publish Miura's transcript of how the remainder of the series was supposed to turn out.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

IIRC Guts has basically been bucking fate since the moment he was born and something about existing in the interstice has only amplified that.

Skull Knight confirms this to Guts by telling him he's always been one close to death and has defied it since the beginning.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got my Beast of Darkness tattoo done

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=par0rwkCCB0

Someone made an awesome animation of Guts fighting Rosine.

Also new chapter comes out on Friday.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

That look on Guts face is a perfect reprise of the end of Black Swordsman when the Count's daughter tells him to fuckoff :(

Nothing will ever beat that look for me, except for maybe the look on his face when he was running through the woods after the Eclipse think of all of his friends who he'd lost. That one comes close.

There's just something so depressing about him recognizing how lovely the world is and giving that girl a reason to not commit suicide - by telling her when she heals up if she still feels salty she should take a run at him. Knowing that he wiped his wound of revenge on someone else and infecting them with the same pain he has and that it tears him up inside just eats at me for some reason. Up to that point it was just like, "This dude is an emotionless loving prick," and then became, "This dude is running away from serious pain."

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

Also hoping they revise the Boscogn vs. Guts fight to include the sword toss from Zodd, because the change they made was completely pointless and wack as gently caress

Yeah this was a particularly dumb one for me. The change that they added didn't save much on anything and made the story make less sense.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Rickert is the President of Antifa

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

Very interested in what kind of chemistry she's hopefully going to have with Sonia and the various "noble" apostles in their circle. She should, for certain, have a chance to form an opinion of the latter aside from "you're a victim of their kind."

My current prediction is that Sonia is going to be his downfall. Her ability of telepathy could have her read Casca's mind to realize that her beloved God Emperor Griffith is a filthy loving rapist and use her ability of mass suggestion to display this to the remaining humans of Falconia.

Granted I mean this probably just means that Griffith commits mass murder on a scale never before seen in the world of Berserk and he just simply sees his sandbox kingdom crumble.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
At this point if it ended with Guts accepting that there's no winning in this fight and him gearing up to rescue Casca while telling his new crew that he intends to spend the rest of his life struggling against the currents of fate, it would be rather fitting.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That Griffith's so hot right now

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Gambino: I just thank the Lord she didn't live to see her son as a mermaid.

Guts: Merrow-man!

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Griffith goes down in a Gary Hart scandal

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Casca in Oz

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
His weapon is already embedded with od as a result of where the ore came from, and ultimately Berserk ain't DBZ. No super power ups, no real training montages (outside of Guts cutting logs in the waterfall). Just gore, betrayal, and causality.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What show is it?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's absolutely awesome

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I could see Berserk working as a live action series.

I think it could too but it would need a metric ton of money for a streaming service / studio to pony up

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Guy in my anatomy and physiology class recognized my Berserk tattoo, which led to a good reminiscing session of the series

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Readberserk.com has it

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Wait, so what was the announcement on the 29th?

They think the series will draw to an end within a decade, I'm fairly certain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think Berserk sans-Miura has been great thus far and I'm optimistic we'll be satisfied with the development. The art looks great, the emotion is visceral. My only issue has been pacing in what we've received and I'll reserve further judgment for when we get a solid philosophy of suffering and trauma laden chapter or two.