Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I just listened to the latest episode of Even More News, and they address the last episodes of WYE/EMN, if anyone is interested in hearing some of the fallout from it.

FWIW, I understand both sides of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

GunFondler42069 posted:

Dave and I are talking about it, so far it's been difficult to make our schedules work. My dream is to do the gigantic Kissinger series with him, but asking someone to sit for like 4 episodes is quite a request and there's really no way to do Kissinger with less.

Just offer to be the guest for when they do another Trump/Reagan-sized series on the Dollop. Several hours to him, several hours to you. Fair trade!

Also, literally just finished listening to the second Gabrielle D'Annunzo episode. That was... uh, quite a trip.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Testekill posted:

Vince McMahon? It's fake sport but the dude is an absolute monster.

Oh, Vince would be perfect.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Just listened to today's Worst Year Ever, and drat, Robert has another podcast coming out. I'm assuming it's going to be a mini-series like the War on Everything was.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I honestly thought that the latest WYE episode with Mark Cuban was going to be an April Fools' joke.

It was an interesting interview, although hearing Cuban constantly say "America 2.0" got old real quick!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

teen witch posted:

Also isn’t Mara Wilson Shapiros cousin? Jeez imagine the family reunions

Yup. If her Twitter is any indication, she refuses to have anything to do with him.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

GunFondler42069 posted:

yeah. Every now and then I'll get complaints like "why haven't you covered [x]" or even "because you haven't done an episode about [y] you must support it" and the reality of the situation is that there's more horrible crimes being perpetuated around the globe than I could ever possibly cover and I tend to focus mostly on stuff that's already in my area of knowledge because it's easier for me to cover competently and in a timely fashion. Episodes like Modi take me twice as long to do because I just knew gently caress-all about Indian politics going into it.

No, Robert, you have to be an expert on ALL the bastards and their situations. Every single one.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

GunFondler42069 posted:

IHeartRadio (which used to be ClearChannel if I understand correctly) bought Stuff Media a year or so ago, right before I was hired full timer. I was originally a contract employee, signed on to produce just my show, but then it became a huge hit and they gave me a salary and healthcare etc. I also get a cut of ad revenue which is currently quite lucrative, hence why I have not engaged in further crowdfunding.

There is no behind the scenes control. Believe me or not, but I've never been told by anyone at all at iHeart what I can and cannot cover. My bosses love my work and are like, unreasonably positive about everything I do. When I said, "I just got back from Syria and I wanna talk about this quasi-anarchist feminist political experiment for seven hours" they said "we'd love to produce that show" and that was the end of the discussion. As a creative professional I don't think I could ask for a more supportive working environment.

Out of curiousity (and if you're allowed to answer, of course), does iHeartRadio own the rights to any of your shows? If some time down the road you became disgruntled with iHeart, you get a better deal with another company, etc, could you take Behind the Bastards with you, or would you have to start a new show?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

If we are doing requests, I'd love to see an episode on Shoko Asahara and Aum Shinrikyo. It's mind boggling how the world has utterly forgotten what was essentially a real life version of COBRA.

Man, the Last Podcast on the Left episodes on Aum Shinrikyo were amazing. The poo poo they did.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I loved those episodes too but whenever Henry breaks out his "hilarious" Asian accent I feel horrendously embarrassed to be listening. To their credit they don't do that sort of thing anymore.

Yeah, they occupy a weird spot for me. The fact that they were willing to say, "Yeah, that was lovely on our part, we won't do that again," puts them ahead of 95% of other comedians.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I use Podbay to download a lot of my podcasts (including all the iHeart podcasts I listen to), and the only ads I ever get are ads for other iHeart podcasts.

I think the Bloomberg ads have been the only non-iHeart ads I've ever gotten, or at the very least within recent memory.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I think the Unabomber would make a fascinating episode, as well as the idea of going postal. Those both have modern relevancies (technology and labor, respectively) and would be fairly entertaining

The Unabomber was the first terrorist I ever read about as a kid (read about him in my grandparents' Reader's Digest), and that probably did a lot to shape some of my interests as an adult, so I definitely would love to hear a BtB episode on ol' Ted.

And Robert, I hope you're doing okay. Try to take care of yourself while you're out there covering the protests.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

bill cooper is basically who alex jones stole his act from and monetized it more heavilly

they kind of hated each other during their brief overlap of Jones' rise to prominence and uh what happened to ole Bill

I know Bill hated Alex, but I could have sworn that Alex liked Bill, or at least paid lip service to him.

I was in the process of going through all of Knowledge Fight until the world got worse, so I skipped over almost the last year of episodes (including when Dan started his investigation into Bill Cooper), but I should at least go back amd listen to those.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Just finished the latest episode, and... whew. Lot of the episode was spent with my jaw open in disbelief and anger. Incredible job, Robert.

Also, as a fan of Headlong, it's nice to be familiar with some of your source material for once. If you haven't listened to Running With COPS yet, you need to, just to get an idea of how damaging COPS and Live PD were to the country and especially the communities they filmed in.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Yet, as Robert said, if she were to run, I would at least seriously consider voting for her over either candidate we have now, even knowing all of that. I would be terrified of who she would pick to be her HHS Secretary, though.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Same here, Robert. I've been sharing some of your tweets along with news about Portland on my social media to hopefully inform my friends and family about some of what's been going on over there. The more people who know the better

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

rotinaj posted:

The regular police. They had been alerted to Harris and jlebold by a number of smaller cases and they kept ignoring it, until columbine.

Yeah, sounds like a bunch of other killers. A not insignificant number of serial killers could have been stopped by the police much sooner than they were, but the cops said "eh," and let them roam free a bit longer

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Good, rake this man over the coals, Robert

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
For anyone who hasn't seen this yet:

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1304573776386957312

Hope you feel better soon Robert :(

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Testekill posted:

The only thing Robert wants is for Garrison to lead a coup and take over his pods.

Only so that he can plan his counter-coup and take them back

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I either get no ads at all, ads for other podcasts, or ads for online therapy.

Yeah, same. I don't think I've heard an ad on WYE for weeks now

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
My favorite exchange of today's episode:

"Robert, what forums did you post on?!"

"Oh no, I'm not going to dox them."

"Robert~"

"Okay, I posted on Something Awful."

Everett False posted:

Robert if you wanna zag on Jamie, StrixNebulosa has been posting 1970s era Cathy comics with occasional context that you could text back.

Here's where they start in the 2020 comic strip megathread and here's the 2021.

(if you clear the user filter you can also read other newspaper comic strips, if that's a thing you want to do to yourself for some reason)

Ack!

Woof, that March 3rd, 1977 strip

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m almost done with the second part of the Rush episode and holy poo poo he really is the father and progenitor of owning the libs and Fox News, which is directly responsible for Trump, which spawned Q, which now effects the entire world causing anti-vaccine and anti-government conservative sentiment to spread at an even greater unchecked rate

Holy poo poo what a bastard

I remember watching a couple of episodes of his tv show as a kid, and all I can remember of them was him hocking his line of dittohead ties (or whatever they were called), and when I remembered that his show was a thing years later, I assumed that it had failed because it didn't seem like it was on for long. I had no idea what it helped create.

I dodged a bullet there in that Rush didn't ensnare me, but I haven't been this mad listening to BtB in well, ever, because Rush definitely affected my dad.

In other words,

xtal posted:

When travel is permitted again I'm gonna poo poo on his grave

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

People here might be interested that the Know Your Enemy podcast (which does deep dives on the history of American conservatism from a leftist perspective) also just released an hour and a half episode on Rush a day or two ago. It might be a good complement to this if anyone is dying (heh) to hear more about Rush, as their episode is less biographical and more about the connections between Rush and the "conservative intellectuals" and how the latter weren't really as different from the supposedly more crass type that Rush unleashed. They also made some interesting observations about the fairness doctrine and how its demise leading to Rush's rise is at least partially a retroactive justification, and how during the 80s some major conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly and Gingrich championed its use and it getting gutted by Reagan was less a vendetta against the doctrine specifically and more just part of Reagan's general deregulation ideology.

Thanks for the recommendation. I listened to it this afternoon, and I agree that it's a nice complement to Robert's episodes, and also it's something to recommend to people who might be off-put by Robert's style of humor but are interested in learning more about Rush's awfulness

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I highly encourage reading the whole thread to get the full story

You weren't kidding, jfc

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Edit: also I started listening to My Momma Told Me after Langston Kerman was on and it’s a good listen if you’re interested in conspiracy theories. It doesn’t always stay perfectly on topic but it’s always good conversation and some of these theories I’ve never heard before!

Same. I listened to the OJ Simpson episode and it was the first time that I ever heard about the theory that Simpson's son was the real murderer. Dunno if I subscribe to that one, but it definitely seems possible.

It's a good podcast

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Yeah, he's been fantastic

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Wow, Sofiya Alexandra was in a mood for today's episode.

Okay, I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought that

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

teen witch posted:

wow I was way unprepared for how lovely melville mielvielle mylvyl maelvialle Melvil Dewey was

Same. I had heard he was bad, but I had never done any research into it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah, Dave has a real nasty streak that Jordan lacks and drifts into a nutty conspiracy world that I think all the Alex Jones has pushed Jordan away from. Dave's got a brainworms thing going on that makes some Dollops hard to listen to now.

Yeah, Dave's a very angry man, and you hear a lot more of that from him on the West Wing Thing podcast (although his cohost Josh does enjoy needling him and makes it worse).

I think I had heard Dave mention that China had been stockpiling Russian fertilizer for months ahead of the invasion, which would fit into his theory that the world governments knew about it ahead of time

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Hoo boy, it was really hard listening to today's episode of It Could Happen Here. I have no problem with the man doing what he felt he needed to do to protect himself, but someone should have just read out what he said. I couldn't understand most of what he was saying thru the voice changer, and I felt like I was missing out on a lot of useful information

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Yeah, I had completely forgotten about her until (spoiling to avoid hinting at the topic) Trash Taste interviewed the guy who runs a YouTube channel who documents her (which I assume that was the 200 hour documentary Robert was referring to) shortly after she was arrested, and I think Robert handled it way better that that guy when talking about her

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Is worst year ever on pause or something? This Bernie/jfk episode is kinda annoying to listen to, and I’m unsure if they have an announcement at the end of the ep

I think at this point it's on borrowed time. The original plan behind WYE was to go to political events during the 2020 election, but then Covid happened, it became another news podcast, and then they all got busy with their other projects that cover the same topics. They're stretched thin, and unless they shift the focus of the podcast again, I don't see it sticking around.

Testekill posted:

You gotta wonder how things would have gone if she had a different upbringing, maybe she'd have always been a hosed up individual but it really seems like the parents couldn't figure out how to raise a severely autistic child.

Somewhat controversial but I would very much like everyone involved with kiwi farms to die in a loving fire.

:hmmyes:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

timp posted:

Loved this one btw :)

Robert mentioning Ben Garrison today made me think he could make for a good episode. Although I'm sure he's not terribly impressive or interesting, his comics are rife for ridicule (also of course you'll want to be sure to mention the cum edits)

And then thinking about that rear end in a top hat made me realize there's a much better cartoonist target: Scott Adams. Now that would make for a good episode. What the gently caress happened to Dilbert's Dad to make him such a fuckwit?? I'd love to hear that story covered by Robert

An episode on terrible political cartoonists could be pretty interesting. I don't think Garrison or Adams could fill an episode, but throw in someone like Lester and maybe you have one!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Episodes like today's almost make me wish I got the dumb ads the US does because Sophie demanding an immediate ad break after Peterson mentions dragon's gold in the hopes of the listeners getting the gold scam ad was brilliant.

The only ads I ever get are ads for other iHeart podcasts, and I live in the US

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Poldarn posted:

Dan Carlin was sold hard on the American DreamTM, as a child, in the 60's, and has a hard time reconciling that reality has not met his expectations. He has also not bothered to investigate or consider why this is so.

This last time I listened to Carlin was his Common Sense podcast back in 2016 when Trump had been elected, and after months/years of wanting someone outside of the Washington norms, he was struggling with the fact that he had made a wish on a monkey's paw.

Sounds like not much has changed since

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

neongrey posted:

my least favourite podcast ad is I still think the first season of disgraceland which was basically "you know those celebrities, always acting wild and crazy, well musicians are even crazier"

The ads for Disgraceland make me think that the host hates the musicians he covers. There's just something about his tone that makes me think that he's glad to be sharing the bad poo poo they may or may not have done

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
So I vaguely remembered that Bobby Fischer sucked going into today's episode, but holy poo poo I didn't know he was such a baby.

I expected the anti-Semitism, not that

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Finally:

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1645577258680340480

Best guest for this would have to be Dan from KF, I doubt even he knows about all the poo poo Vince has done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
You may be right, and yet:

https://twitter.com/knowledge_fight/status/1645590173021794305

Just bring 'em both on