Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

thecluckmeme posted:

I decided I needed more :crackping: in my life so I've started listening to Behind the Police and after four episodes we have reached full :unsmigghh:

Thank God for Robert's soothing voice, Prop's contagious laugh and "no, wait, I need to tell the listener how much to brace for the poo poo you're about to say" attitude, and Sophie's reigning in the shitstorm that is this podcast.

Not gonna lie, Behind the Police was rough listening, and I don't even live the US. The sheer anger at injustice coming through Prop's voice at times is raw as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

thecluckmeme posted:

I thought Episode 4 was going to be a breeze to listen to because it's just about police unions. How bad could that be? oh, we're talking about the specific actions police unions took to solidify their ability to continue to kill POC without consequences, and Prop relates his lived experience growing up around those policies that threaten his life :smith:

Listening to how US police are trained, and how they use force, and get away with it always terrifies and angers me.

See, in my home country of 5.5 million people, which ranks tenth in the list of firearms per capita, the cops have killed ten people in the 2000s. That's ten people in total in the entire country in 21 years. The cops are trained to de-escalate instead of just shooting if they feel stressed, and they know that every time a cop fires a gun, it will be investigated properly, and they will be charged if it was unjustified (I felt scared for my life is not an acceptable reason to shoot someone), and the person whose call that is the attorney general of the entire country, so good loving luck trying to intimidate her to drop the case.

When an incel did a terror strike where he killed one woman and wounded several more near my hometown, the cops took him alive by shooting him in the leg, which they are trained to do. And they only shot him when he refused multiple orders to surrender and he was close enough to actually reach them, and one cop was hurt as she put a bullet in his leg.

Warden fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 28, 2022

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I confess being inordinately annoyed at Robert being completely unable to pronounce Peter Nygård's surname properly. It's not "nigh guard", it's closer to "new gored", and even that is not completely right.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Huh, I missed some responses.

mcvey posted:

I've only ever heard it pronounced nigh-guard

That's because native English-speakers always mess up the pronunciation of Scandinavian names. He's originally from Finland and has a Swedish family name. We pronounce his name nyy-goord, but if I type that for English speakers, they will pronounce it wrong. Hence, "new gored" which should allow a native English speaker to get close enough.

Spoeank posted:

I'm incensed that Robert Evans, who frequently mispronounces English words, mispronounced a name in another language

Incensed? No. More like irked, and even then I am perfectly aware that it is such a minor thing to fixate on.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

teen witch posted:

I’d say it’s more knee-gourd.

Swedish y is a quite close to Finnish i, that's true. However, Nygård is originally Finnish, so here his name is pronounced with a lengthened, proper "y"-sound, kinda like in "new".

Of course, we could argue that his name *should* be pronounced the way it was originally pronounced in Swedish in ye olden times.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

SimonSays posted:

Maybe it should be pronounced the way people in the community he grew up in pronounce it and Robert nailed it (the only time he's done so).

Well, that doesn't solve the issue since he was born in Finland and grew up there until he was something like nine or ten, can't remember which. So he was nyy-goord until that, and started being "nigh guard" afterwards only because people around him couldn't pronounce nyy-goord anymore.

Or we could just drop this tangent. It's honestly getting a bit silly at this point.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

neongrey posted:

like really, show of hands from people who actually knew who this guy was before the episode

*hesitantly raises his hand*

I did, but that's because he sued a former Finnish model for warning other models about him, after Nygård had failed to get her to come to one of his "parties" by showing her some pictures he had taken and it was a huge media dust-up back then. They ultimately settled, and she had to publicly apologize for warning women that he was a rapist and almost went bankrupt thanks to legal fees. He also sued some Finnish newspapers/tabloids for revealing what went on at his villa in Bahamas, but lost that one.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Annath posted:

Eh, Jamie Loftus is almost always great, and never terrible. The same can't be said for some other guests, even ones who have been on multiple times.

Whatever happened to the hilarious hillbilly guy? Billy something? I don't remember his name but he and Robert had a great back and forth.

Billy Wayne Davis? Unofficial blacklist by the parent company BTB is on, because he complained about them not paying their guests on social media.

They pay their guests these days, although it's a pretty nominal from what I hear.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it Margaret Killjoy? I like her a lot of the time but whenever anarchism or stuff like that comes up it’s like “please shut up. Stop talking. This is so clearly a fantasy you have in your head”. She mentioned something in the Illuminati episodes about rural areas being so full of anarchists and said something like “oh yeah in half the diners if you’re wearing an anarchy symbol hat you’ll end up with a free meal” that made me roll my eyes. I’m from the middle of nowhere and that just absolutely did not track for me.

I tried to listen to Margaret's Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff and chose the episode about snipers Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Simo Häyhä, but in giving background info to Häyhä, she gave her version of Finnish Civil War and it was not just full of factual mistakes, it was downright completely loving unhinged. And what's weird is that she actually lived here for several years. I stopped there, and haven't tried again.

It didn't help that her style of presenting didn't work for me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not having listened to the episode and knowing little about the war in question, would you mind going into a little detail about what was so weird and wrong about her version of the history?

This is pretty much just curiosity asking so if you can't be assed that's no problem at all.

Her version: bunch of right-wing bootlickers attempt to sell a newly independent country to Germany, so plucky social democrats who want a free republic are forced to fight a civil war that they heroically lose, and suffer horrible terror as leftists martyrs.

Reality: communists seize the leadership of Social Democrat Party, which leads to a Russian Bolshevik-backed coup/revolt, which forces the government to flee and ask Imperial Germany for aid. Germany agrees, because Russia is dithering at Brest-Litovsk, and thus join the war with the aim of taking Finland to German sphere of influence in order to put more pressure on the Bolsheviks to sign the treaty. Atrocities on both sides, the winners throw the losers into horrid prison camps which cause mass death.

Edit. Here's an effort post about the topic I made a few years ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&userid=225843#post511163318

Note that I never finished my series of posts, so I didn't cover the Terror in any depth.

Warden fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 22, 2024