Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

twerking on the railroad posted:

rotinaj posted:

My favorite podcast ads are the one where two people come on, say how they are good friends with a great chemistry that they just had to bring to a podcast, and now they are going to talk culture, politics, pop culture, Hollywood, and whatever else comes up.

And then they laugh and end the ad without ever giving me a reason to care unless i already knew them or liked their voices

I have heard an infinite amount of boring dude podcasts like that, but there have been a lot more of those with two women in the past few years, especially who bonded over true crime, and now, the ones i hear the most are targeting a minority group

Did i say favorite, i mean i fuckin hate those ads

"Rudy Giuliani gives insight on leadership, courage and the most pressing issues of our time."

"Did you know I was mayor on 9/11?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Imagine this but it's an ad for "Rudy Giuliani's Common sense"

"Rudy Giuliani gives insight on leadership, courage and the most pressing issues of our time."

I’d rather not

The only podcast i would listen to from an old man who has vaguely fashy beliefs called common sense is dan carlin’s common sense

And i havent listened to him since like 2020, i hope he didnt go nuts

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I really liked My Year in Mensa but thought Ghost Church suffered comprehensively because Jamie Loftus couldn't get any actual recordings of anyone at the Spiritualist place in Florida.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Last I heard of Dan Carlin he has continued being aggressively just-asking-questions both-sides-have-points 'centrist' including in a six hour podcast about slavery. Where he deliberately avoided modern sources to avoid being too political? About slavery. He apparently was unaware that the word 'quadroon' existed, which didn't stop him from using it. No idea what he's been up to since then, I also stopped listening years ago (so I've missed two episodes I guess).

Now I have a different Dan satisfying my need for comically long podcasts of in-depth research, but this one comes out more than once a year.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

rotinaj posted:

Dan Carlin was sold hard on the American DreamTM, as a child, in the 60's, and has a hard time reconciling that reality has not met his expectations. He has also not bothered to investigate or consider why this is so.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

rotinaj posted:

I’d rather not

The only podcast i would listen to from an old man who has vaguely fashy beliefs called common sense is dan carlin’s common sense

Are you trolling or did you not hear the whole "silver linings to the Holocaust" thing at the end of "Supernova in the Pacific"?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

rotinaj posted:

you probably only missed like three episodes, so

Admittedly each one is eighteen hours long, but that's not the point

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Poldarn posted:

Dan Carlin was sold hard on the American DreamTM, as a child, in the 60's, and has a hard time reconciling that reality has not met his expectations. He has also not bothered to investigate or consider why this is so.

This last time I listened to Carlin was his Common Sense podcast back in 2016 when Trump had been elected, and after months/years of wanting someone outside of the Washington norms, he was struggling with the fact that he had made a wish on a monkey's paw.

Sounds like not much has changed since

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I confess being inordinately annoyed at Robert being completely unable to pronounce Peter Nygård's surname properly. It's not "nigh guard", it's closer to "new gored", and even that is not completely right.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Megabound posted:

In Australia all I get 2 types of ad:
1. A targeted ad for Australians about a new movie, a university or a bank. These are always read by the same lady, no matter what is being spruiked.

2. An ad for another podcast. Either the one about the loud autistic lady or a show hosted by a literal teen.

This, although since moving to WA i also occasionally get an ad warning me about syphilis being on the rise in WA.

Although I normally just skip forward because its 90% true crime drek and ocassionally ads about finance.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Are you trolling or did you not hear the whole "silver linings to the Holocaust" thing at the end of "Supernova in the Pacific"?

Holy poo poo. Don't know how, but I sure missed that. Maybe my eyes glossed over and I phased out before that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I did get a behind the bastards podcast ad once, it was a little weird

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Warden posted:

I confess being inordinately annoyed at Robert being completely unable to pronounce Peter Nygård's surname properly. It's not "nigh guard", it's closer to "new gored", and even that is not completely right.

I've only ever heard it pronounced nigh-guard

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Knee-g’ourd in Swedish, which may also be the pronunciation

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The Nygard episode was very america.txt considering that his vast wealth kept him safe despite being accused of sexual assault by a vast number of women, but he hosed with ONE billionaire's property, and welp.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Warden posted:

As soon as Robert pronounces one name correctly that automatically makes every name he's said incredibly racist

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

havent listened to him since 2020, like I said, supernova in the pacific got really boring for me years ago

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm incensed that Robert Evans, who frequently mispronounces English words, mispronounced a name in another language

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Huh, I missed some responses.

mcvey posted:

I've only ever heard it pronounced nigh-guard

That's because native English-speakers always mess up the pronunciation of Scandinavian names. He's originally from Finland and has a Swedish family name. We pronounce his name nyy-goord, but if I type that for English speakers, they will pronounce it wrong. Hence, "new gored" which should allow a native English speaker to get close enough.

Spoeank posted:

I'm incensed that Robert Evans, who frequently mispronounces English words, mispronounced a name in another language

Incensed? No. More like irked, and even then I am perfectly aware that it is such a minor thing to fixate on.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
i think in winnipeg, where hes from, we just say nigh-guard, like it is definitely not the correct swedish pronunciation but it is the norm locally. i assume this is as infuriating to you as the way winnipeg was (briefly) talked about was to me lmao

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Warden posted:

Huh, I missed some responses.

That's because native English-speakers always mess up the pronunciation of Scandinavian names. He's originally from Finland and has a Swedish family name. We pronounce his name nyy-goord, but if I type that for English speakers, they will pronounce it wrong. Hence, "new gored" which should allow a native English speaker to get close enough.

Incensed? No. More like irked, and even then I am perfectly aware that it is such a minor thing to fixate on.

I’d say it’s more knee-gourd, for the aa-å exchange. å was easier to learn than ä på svenska, as a filthy outsider

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

teen witch posted:

I’d say it’s more knee-gourd.

Swedish y is a quite close to Finnish i, that's true. However, Nygård is originally Finnish, so here his name is pronounced with a lengthened, proper "y"-sound, kinda like in "new".

Of course, we could argue that his name *should* be pronounced the way it was originally pronounced in Swedish in ye olden times.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Maybe it should be pronounced the way people in the community he grew up in pronounce it and Robert nailed it (the only time he's done so).

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

SimonSays posted:

Maybe it should be pronounced the way people in the community he grew up in pronounce it and Robert nailed it (the only time he's done so).

Well, that doesn't solve the issue since he was born in Finland and grew up there until he was something like nine or ten, can't remember which. So he was nyy-goord until that, and started being "nigh guard" afterwards only because people around him couldn't pronounce nyy-goord anymore.

Or we could just drop this tangent. It's honestly getting a bit silly at this point.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Warden posted:

Well, that doesn't solve the issue since he was born in Finland and grew up there until he was something like nine or ten, can't remember which. So he was nyy-goord until that, and started being "nigh guard" afterwards only because people around him couldn't pronounce nyy-goord anymore.

Or we could just drop this tangent. It's honestly getting a bit silly at this point.

nobody uses a non anglicized pronunciation for this guy's name. I get that it's annoying if you speak the language it's from but that's the only issue here. Robert correctly pronounced the name as it is used.

source: I used to live down the street from a building that had his name on it before all this, like really, show of hands from people who actually knew who this guy was before the episode

neongrey fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 14, 2022

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

neongrey posted:

like really, show of hands from people who actually knew who this guy was before the episode

*hesitantly raises his hand*

I did, but that's because he sued a former Finnish model for warning other models about him, after Nygård had failed to get her to come to one of his "parties" by showing her some pictures he had taken and it was a huge media dust-up back then. They ultimately settled, and she had to publicly apologize for warning women that he was a rapist and almost went bankrupt thanks to legal fees. He also sued some Finnish newspapers/tabloids for revealing what went on at his villa in Bahamas, but lost that one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

teen witch posted:

I’d say it’s more knee-gourd, for the aa-å exchange. å was easier to learn than ä på svenska, as a filthy outsider

It really helped me when I saw an old Swedish bible, and saw the old way of writing ä was an a with a little 'e' above it - that's what ä is, a vowel that is a combination of a and e. Much like å is a combination of a and o, and ö is a combination of o and e.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Warden posted:

*hesitantly raises his hand*

I did, but that's because he sued a former Finnish model for warning other models about him, after Nygård had failed to get her to come to one of his "parties" by showing her some pictures he had taken and it was a huge media dust-up back then. They ultimately settled, and she had to publicly apologize for warning women that he was a rapist and almost went bankrupt thanks to legal fees. He also sued some Finnish newspapers/tabloids for revealing what went on at his villa in Bahamas, but lost that one.

christ, what an rear end in a top hat

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I went into today's episode hoping to laugh at more of Peterson's dumb ramblings and instead got Robert saying in no uncertain terms why the world is utterly hosed.

Not that I am complaining, just a warning for anyone else of the doomer persuasion.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 3, 2023

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For the whole episode, or just the intro?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

For the whole episode, or just the intro?

Around the entire first half.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Eh, I just listened it's just really doomery in the intro the rest kinda weaves in with the repudiation of Peterson's "everything is ok, climate change isnt real" philosophy which is needed in the context of the episode.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I admit that a big part of my problem is thinking "everything other than our current state of semi peace is going to be utter misery forever".

It also frustrates me because it seems everyone I know follows the same "Things will work out thanks to technology" philosophy. Even my therapist.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I would like Robert to do an episode on whoever created the True Crime podcast because goddamn am I sick of these ads. Please give me more ads about gold scams instead. Pleaseeeeeee

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

I would like Robert to do an episode on whoever created the True Crime podcast because goddamn am I sick of these ads. Please give me more ads about gold scams instead. Pleaseeeeeee

...even murder :aaa:

They're worse than the "I started my own podcast" Spreaker(?) ads

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

" Where were you in 1992? Were you shaking your butt to Sir Mix-A-Lot? "

i was being born

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

8 years old is way too young to be posting on these forums

1990 has been ten years ago for 23 years now, it makes perfect sense, i will not be taking questions at this time

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, it’s really not very cash money of them

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
gently caress, 90% of IHEARTRADIO podcast ads could just as easily be dropped into a parody game without any editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

apatheticman posted:

gently caress, 90% of IHEARTRADIO podcast ads could just as easily be dropped into a parody game without any editing.
Reminds me of this exchange I saw last night

https://twitter.com/why_sophie_why/status/1610333671294373888?s=46&t=nXJ1Yp8RGZXjTH6j83YJxA

https://twitter.com/why_sophie_why/status/1610438083488673794?s=46&t=nXJ1Yp8RGZXjTH6j83YJxA