Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

An insane mind posted:

I'm finding I really enjoy history podcasts. Robert also has a good 'radio voice' I think, some of his guests don't however.
I never really got into podcasts before, would anyone be willing to point me to a good 'repository' I guess of history based podcasts?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532486
Check the first post, it has a bunch of recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MA-Horus posted:

Wait we're talking history podcasts and the FIRST one that comes up isn't Hardcore History?

Dan has a voice made for radio. A face too.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532486
History podcast thread. The first podcast brought up is actually Hardcore History.

catapede posted:

Oh wow, I'm surprised this thread is so young(literally googled 'Something awful behind the bastards' to try and find a thread lol). I know there's quite a few listeners on SA because recent topics of the podcast happen to be subtly brought up in threads I follow from time to time haha. Curious what Robert's banned post is.

Also, I second listening to "History of Rome". Great history podcast.
His podcast was discussed pretty often in the history podcast but someone finally made a thread for it specifically.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Billy Wayne is fantastic.
This probably could crosspost with the standup thread, but his standup is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ShD0RzOsU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The sources are on the footnotes page, but the pictures don't seem to be.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That geico "pickup basketball" ad is loving awful.
On the other hand that dog is awesome.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Samovar posted:

This is why I listen to episodes when they are download and press the fast forward button when ads come up.

I listen to aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaads about products and services because I'm usually listening to podcasts while driving and skipping a minute of ads isn't worth screwing around with my phone. On the other hand the guy saying "theres a guy who doesn't pass the rock" sounds so tragically dorky I can't help but think of the Lonely Island "We like sports" song when I hear it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Billy Wayne recusing himself from talking about Knockers because of his accent has cemented him as my all time favorite guest.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Hearing the Phyllis Schafly episode, it makes me wonder: if you took one person out of the timeline "Looper" style, who would it be to fix the poo poo show we are in right now?

Thomas Midgley would probably be on the list for the environmental devastation (and the lead poisoning boomer brains). Schafly's got to be on the list for politics.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Woodrow Wilson.

Elaborate please. I know he was a giant racist, but I don't know anything more about him/his legacy.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Where has Billy Wayne been lately? The recent guests have been great, but that dude is awesome.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DC Murderverse posted:

Between “choking to death on bird piss” and the description of how the sea lion/seal oil trade worked I think this episode has the most nausea-inducing moments of any BtB
If this was bad for you, don't listen to the Dollop's episode on Maquarie island. I think that's the episode that broke Gareth the most.

Robert was right, that is 1) a big rear end egg and 2) a really cool looking egg.

Also I'm pretty sure I heard (and it was not given nearly enough attention) that one of the effects of being on the island too long was that you'd see your name written in the patterns on the eggs?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 18, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm not sure this is the proper place for this question but, having listened to probably hundreds of episodes of BtB, every episode I always think to myself which Bastard if, removed completely from existence, would have the greatest impact on the state of the world as it is today. Rush Limbaugh ranks pretty high in my opinion, maybe because it's so recent in my mind, or maybe Roy Cohn? Curious what others think (and Robert, too!)

edit: I forgot there was a Hitler episode so that's probably it, but my question has an implied "except Hitler/Stalin/Mussolini"

I had this exact thought after the Phyllis Schafly episode.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hearing the Phyllis Schafly episode, it makes me wonder: if you took one person out of the timeline "Looper" style, who would it be to fix the poo poo show we are in right now?

Thomas Midgley would probably be on the list for the environmental devastation (and the lead poisoning boomer brains). Schafly's got to be on the list for politics.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i'll be the rear end in a top hat and say the south has alot of hard to pronounce city/town names and etc and i kinda like that. like i come from Pennsylvania Dutch lands and we have some weird ones but they are mostly "pick name from England/Europe/bible and add New to it OR just copy the name directly.

The Welsh Tract outside of Philly has some good ones, my favorite being Uwchlan (Yuke-lin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

twerking on the railroad posted:

rotinaj posted:

My favorite podcast ads are the one where two people come on, say how they are good friends with a great chemistry that they just had to bring to a podcast, and now they are going to talk culture, politics, pop culture, Hollywood, and whatever else comes up.

And then they laugh and end the ad without ever giving me a reason to care unless i already knew them or liked their voices

I have heard an infinite amount of boring dude podcasts like that, but there have been a lot more of those with two women in the past few years, especially who bonded over true crime, and now, the ones i hear the most are targeting a minority group

Did i say favorite, i mean i fuckin hate those ads

"Rudy Giuliani gives insight on leadership, courage and the most pressing issues of our time."

"Did you know I was mayor on 9/11?"