Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Despite being on this site since 2005, I somehow didn’t know anything about Chris Chan aside from the name.

Pretty sure I’m worse off now. Though I guess that’s the Behind the Bastards guarantee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Testekill posted:

You gotta wonder how things would have gone if she had a different upbringing, maybe she'd have always been a hosed up individual but it really seems like the parents couldn't figure out how to raise a severely autistic child.

Somewhat controversial but I would very much like everyone involved with kiwi farms to die in a loving fire.
Yeah I mean, I knew there were some truly awful people on the internet who get their kicks at others’ expense, but making an entire forum that’s dedicated to systematically harassing one obviously troubled person IRL for years on end is some next-level poo poo.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Did Helldump ever turn into persistent IRL harassment?

I mean, Robert was describing numerous people seeming to befriend Chris Chan, setting up dates (finally, a boyfriend-free girl!), and then welp, it was all for the lulz. It’s like she’s in a perverse Truman Show, except she knows she’s being watched. I can’t imagine what that would do to a person.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Tarantino at least went to anti-police brutality protests and pissed off a bunch of cops. So he has that going for him.

He did, by his own admission, know “enough to say something” about Harvey Weinstein. I don’t think that’s atypical for people in his position, but that doesn’t excuse him either.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

teen witch posted:

Even as someone who likes a crime podcast (ok it’s just Criminal and Casefile), good lord

There is…worms, worms on worms on worms of brainworms there.

gently caress how do you listen to true crime podcasts and not have a bitter taste for the cops?
I dunno, I had no clue that Starship Troopers was satire when I first saw it. Then again, I was 12.

timp posted:

And then thinking about that rear end in a top hat made me realize there's a much better cartoonist target: Scott Adams. Now that would make for a good episode. What the gently caress happened to Dilbert's Dad to make him such a fuckwit?? I'd love to hear that story covered by Robert
Decoding the Gurus did a good episode on Adams a while back. There are very few people whom I loathe more than him.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dangerous Person posted:

I think it's a patreon episode but Qanon Anonymous did a good one on Scott Adams
Thank you for reminding me about this one. It's really funny and not Patreon-only: https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-43-scott-adams

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
These episodes are a microcosm of how powerful, selfish, out-of-touch assholes can make things much worse for vast numbers of people.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The worst guest IIRC was the one on the Reagan episodes. I stopped listening because I found the guest to be painfully unfunny and annoying, and I mean that literally. Which is a shame, because hoo boy, what a bastard to have to skip out on.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Subway’s white chocolate macadamia nut cookies are some of my favorite cookies on Earth.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The Columbus series seemed to end abruptly. I know there was a whole lot more genocide and mayhem left to discuss, but instead the last thing Robert covered was Columbus’s deliberately writing down his route incorrectly so that nobody could intercept him/get in on the pillaging action for themselves.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Might there be a Part 3? I get a little frustrated when a topic gets more than two episodes without that being made clear at the start, because I like to listen to them all together.
Looks like you were right! Part 3 just dropped. The way Robert talked at the end of part 2, I thought it was over for some reason.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

AceOfFlames posted:

The lovely applause clip after Dirlewanger finally died after days of non stop beatings was perfect.
The air horn they played when they were imagining the Polish authorities going “wait…we got who?!” was sublime.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Shinji2015 posted:

The only ads I ever get are ads for other iHeart podcasts, and I live in the US
I’ve heard the gold one a few times, but yeah, mostly I just get ads for other iHeart shows. I can’t help but picture a power strip that’s plugged into itself.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
“Admit it: you have an addiction. You’re addicted to true crime.”

I mean, I guess BTB is true crime in a way :shrug:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

rotinaj posted:

9/10 of the ads on behind the bastards for me are just for betterhelp online therapy
Ironically, a company that might deserve its own episode based on what a lot of people say about it

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
“We’re just two best friends, chattin’ about our lives, and tryin’ to be a little better every day :neckbeard:

— the hosts of 500,000 different podcasts

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The Nygard episode was very america.txt considering that his vast wealth kept him safe despite being accused of sexual assault by a vast number of women, but he hosed with ONE billionaire's property, and welp.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I would like Robert to do an episode on whoever created the True Crime podcast because goddamn am I sick of these ads. Please give me more ads about gold scams instead. Pleaseeeeeee

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Snuffman posted:

Out of all the podcasts I listen to, I'd happily pay Behind the Bastards for ad-free if it were an option.

HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE SHADOW MEN!?
Same. Robert has said it won’t happen though, because he never wants people to have to pay for Cool Zone’s shows, and it’s not at all clear (at least to me) whether iHeart would even allow it. So yeah, bring on the “Hi! It’s Meghan Trainor! Remember me?? I’ve got a podcast now!” horrors I guess.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
In the BtB sub, someone posted about the ad issue today. Robert commented and said there will be a way to listen ad-free soon: https://www.reddit.com/r/behindthebastards/comments/107oipv/comment/j3nxjrb/

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I like that in mid-November or so, the gold ads began to open with “frustrated that we didn’t get the red wave we were promised?”

Regalingualius posted:

I’ve been listening to episodes of the Behind the Police and Insurrections miniseries on Spotify, and there’s been some fucky ad-cuts where someone gets cut off mid sentence for unannounced ads, they resume where it left off, and then a few minutes later the regular ad break happens.
This might be a Spotify thing? I listen on Overcast and can’t recall mid-sentence ads.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I’m glad they covered how Tate and other awful people raise their profile by deliberately saying outrageous things and then reaping the attention of the media/internet. It reminds me of an interview Dan from Knowledge Fight did on Decoding the Gurus. He was saying that internet dunk culture is very good for Alex Jones because tons of people share Alex’s stuff and say “look at this loving clown!” And the vast majority of people agree that he’s a loving clown, and the sharer gets their dopamine from all the likes, but then just a few % of people go “hmmm, this guy actually sounds interesting, I should check out his site.” No such thing as bad publicity etc.

There’s no real defense against it either. People aren’t not going to share outrageous stuff, because it’s good for the sharer to do so. Hell, I had never heard of a few apparently super-famous people (Logan Paul, The Liver King, Tate) until their scandals broke or they got busted, because then virtually all the content creators I follow were making videos about them in order to get views from all the controversy.

The click/view-based economy is one of the worst things to happen to humanity.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
As stupid as it is, there’s a lot to be said for how these types are just plain good at speaking confidently, and that can help them bypass critical analysis because people unconsciously think that there’s no way someone would be speaking like that if they DIDN’T know what they were talking about. That’s why, like, Jordan Peterson can matter-of-factly deliver a word salad analysis of a Bible story and his fans think he’s a genius despite their having no idea what he just said.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I get that Robert and Sophie can’t control all the ads. But Robert also personally reads ads for awful companies like Better Help. Soooo

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Oh, just that they don’t actually help people or pay their therapists much. And that they sell your data to companies like Facebook. Super cool for them to jerk around people who might be having mental health crises and then tell Zuck about how depressed you are.

Every podcast I listen to that has them as a sponsor periodically has people showing up in that podcast’s sub saying “please stop taking money from BetterHelp. Here was my very bad experience with them…” I have never seen that for any other advertiser.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I read a lot about Bobby Fischer and don’t recall hearing about him becoming a raging anti-Semite until after he was world champion. The stuff about him offering to show his uncircumcised dick is new and kinda surprising. I kinda want to dig into the sources; Mia glossed over and poorly characterized so many of the chess bits that the episode kinda sucked for me, and I can’t help but wonder about the overall quality of the info that went into this.

Like, “they played a bunch of games, nothing exciting happened, they didn’t play well” was the summary of the 1972 world championship? Fischer’s “game of the century” was NBD? Uh, no. No. I realize Fischer sucked as a person, but lovely people can still be good at things (not that this excuses their personal shittiness).

Doubly also, I am now sincerely wondering how much effort it would take to train an AI that removes the ad breaks from these episodes. They use the sample bumper jingles before and after each one that can be used to make the audio cuts; shouldn’t be too hard (???)

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 14, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I played part 2 at 1X speed instead of the usual
1.5X and found it much easier to follow. This one was actually about bastardry while part 1 felt too much like them making fun of a weird kid.

One thing that Mia only touched on was Fischer’s antics after playing his rematch with Spassky. As Mia noted, Fischer’s match was illegal and he was wanted by the US authorities for playing it. At one point, he was being sheltered by the Polgárs, a famous Hungarian chess family (all three daughters are masters, with Judit being the strongest woman player ever). They also happen to be Jewish. Bobby, despite being literally protected from arrest by these people, would not shut the gently caress up about how the holocaust was a hoax and all kinds of other antisemitic stuff. Like, it’s almost all he talked about. Eventually the dad László said “Bobby, did my relatives just vanish through some kind of magic trick?” and they booted his rear end out.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Why is Robert trying to cancel Jorp’s free speech?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The episode on The Liver King was fun. I have heard $100k cited as the amount of money people spend on drugs to get ready for a year's Mr Olympia competition, so just lol that he spent even more than that. Though I suppose that's what it takes to go from "really jacked for a normal person" to "comic book character jacked" in a short amount of time.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Inzombiac posted:

Good grief I am still two years behind BtB but I don't want to skip anything.
I have listened to most of the show over the past two years. What's fun is that I've forgotten most of the details about the people Robert covers, but I'll see their name pop up someplace and immediately remember "that person sucks."

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good lord Jack Welch was a piece of poo poo
Yeah, and he only got a two-parter.

I know that folks on places like this site use "number go up" sarcastically a lot, but it's true; evidently a huge percentage of our supposed leaders and luminaries are myopic twits obsessed with improving some metric in the short term, even if doing so will wreck the same metric in the long run.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Sophie's "Oh, Robert..." look is unmistakable.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Pack it in, Androidailures

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Maybe he is avoiding Patreon so he doesn't indirectly fund Pomplamoose

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Considering all the hype, yeah, this was a letdown. It was also highly entertaining because of the guests and the types of people covered.

I imagine that most owners of major sports franchises are bastards on an equal or worse scale, correcting for the fact that not all sports inherently destroy the players' bodies like pro wrestling/American football do.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Shinji2015 posted:

I think the difference between Vince and say, a Dan Snyder, is that for all of Snyder's awfulness, he hasn't warped American football in the same way Vince warped pro wrestling. Snyder can be divorced from football (he just has been!), but Vince and wrestling are forever linked, and you can't talk about one without the other.

There's no denying that Snyder is a gigantic bastard worthy of his own episodes, though
Yeah, I think this is probably correct.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the episodes on NYC real estate developer, star of The Apprentice, and failed Reform Party presidential candidate, Donald J. Trump that end in 2007.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 3, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The latest series is about Stockton Rush and the Groversub. Well that was fast.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
"The most unrealistic part of Terminator 2 isn't the time travel or the flesh-covered robots, it's the tech entrepreneur who, when warned that his invention would destroy the world, decided to put a stop to it"

I'm dying

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Is there a way to listen to the subscription outside of Apple Podcasts? Because I haven't used this app in a long time and am being aggressively reminded why that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
:unsmigghh: