Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kingdom Under Fire 2 is an MMO/RTS hybrid from Korea with a long, dumb development history (announced in 2008!) that was released on Steam today and is good? Maybe?

It used to be F2P/P2W but is now vehemently anti-P2W for the NA/EU market. Honestly, I'd gladly pay $30 just for the gameplay alone so all the online/MMO stuff is cool too. They did basically zero marketing on this game, and it was released on Steam today.

What is this?
Originally announced in 2008, it was released in various markets including RU and SEA where it died relatively quickly to the same poo poo as every other KMMO: truly predatory monetization. Then, I guess, the devs decided to actually release the game in its current form that might have some legs: the NA/EU version completely devoid of P2W poo poo.

This time around the (new) people in charge are doing some cool things. They changed the monetization scheme around to completely eliminate P2W poo poo. It's just a single purchase to access (so far) everything available, including cosmetics and there's really not much of a grind to get or do anything you want. The only monetization is cosmetics. All other versions of this released before were aggressively P2W, with lootboxes and straight up power boosts, it was egregious.

What is the monetization scheme?
There are 3 currencies:
Diamonds (real-world money only)
Cubics (you get a good chunk when you buy the game, then you can only get them from in-game activities)
Gold (gold)

The diamonds can only be used to purchase certain cosmetics.

The cubics buy all the other poo poo, including the same cosmetics as diamonds.

Gold buys repairs and potions and other junk.

What's it like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaOjTfLALcQ

Controlling your hero plays a lot like TERA/Guild Wars 2, etc. No tab-targeting just push a button and hope there's a dude in front of you. There are a lot of combos that are hard to get the hang of if you're bad.

There are two game modes, essentially.

The bad mode:

You're running around in the world where you play in a typical 'slay one bear and collect rear end' style fight called field missions -- this is by far the worst part of the game because it's basically just mashing F to continue the dialogue before slaying like 4 dudes right outside town, or gathering piles of wood or something before turning in a quest and blah blah blah. If you've played any MMO ever you know this dumb part of the genre well. Try to rush through this part if you can, you won't miss anything.

The really dope, fun mode:

There's the 'RTS' mode where you control your hero within a dynasty warriors style battle and get a 600 kill streak while you DON'T PURSUE LU BU. This is the good and fun and best part because you control your dude and also up to 3 "troops" (there are 200 to choose from/unlock). They have their own stats, equipment, and skills that you use in a Total War-style battle map. Then you press tab to go into dynasty warriors mode. Generally, the closer to endgame you get the more you'll be mostly/exclusively doing the RTS mode fights.

Outside of boring and bad field missions, The PvE side has missions that are repeatable like "subjugations" for grinding (with variable difficulty modes and bonus objectives), story missions (with variable difficulty modes), dungeons (with variable difficulty modes), raids of up to 8 (or maybe 16?) people and their respective 3 armies.

There's PvP with duels (1v1), invasions, a "war" thing that I guess is coming soon, and the territorial control thing. If I'm being honest I haven't done any PvP beyond duels and they seemed to mostly be decided by how good you are with your hero.

IMPORTANT: you get your mount like 20 minutes in and it goes the same speed as all other mounts (technically faster than "fast" mounts because it can do a horsie jump that makes it jump forward quicker than the "fastest" mounts). Troops that are grey quality ("public") aren't worth investing in.

Troops system works like this: You pick up or buy troops over time that have unique things and you can train them, rank them up, etc., to give them better stats and options using troop experience and gold/cubics. This is where the grind is. There are troop types from heavy infantry to mages to scorpion war beasts to artillerymen to orc boar boyz to healing archers to assassins. Picking the right troops is important for doing missions well, and doing missions well gives you rewards to train/buy troops, and so on and so on; this is where the magic happens. You bring 3 of them to missions, and when you group up with others they also bring their 3 dudes (unless it's a hero-only mission). Some missions you bring 8 dudes (!)

This is the kind of consideration to expect in building your team: Currently people claim to find the most success in just getting the heaviest infantry they can and making a big battle line and never letting them out of formation. I think that's boring, but people like to be efficient and not have fun in MMOs. The endgame has a lot of PvE/PvP stuff that plays honestly pretty similar. There's a fight currently between the crusader (paladins) meta vs. the big beefy tank meta. The argument is that having a frontline of Crusaders (paladins) is better than heavy infantry because they can heal themselves, even though they're more susceptible to bursts/damage by virtue of not having the defensive stats of the heavy tanks. However, heavy tanks are more killy and have a high counter rate, so pairing a heavy tank with an off-healer like elf Bowmen will be better for survival and damage. The counterpoint being crusaders/paladins can enable you to bring ONLY damage-dealers, giving you an edge (for example by pairing riflemen with a massed-army slayer like Hiro Cavalry).

In other words, optimizing your team isn't a question of math but of suiting it to your playstyle/sensibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_s-9zsM8M
I don't like this Angry Joe dude but he dug into this thing and gives a pretty good look at the first 20 minutes or so. There's an actual dev response to his video because he was having questions about monetization and the devs re-iterated their no P2W stance.

What are the classes?
There is:

Gunslinger, who is Standard Armored Guy with a sword and pistols.

Spellsword, who is the standard KMMO titty elf with a mix of magic and melee.

Berserker, who is the smash-em-up beat-em-up dude with a edgelord aesthetic.

Ranger, who is another variant of a KMMO titty elf but uses daggers and a bow.

Elementalist, some loli pet class mage with some crazy strong output.

Will it last?
Man who knows. A lot of MMOs end up going free-to-play and poo poo all over the players later but today, at least, there's such a long anti-P2W history with this game that they might never try it.

But for me, at least, $30 is a totally reasonable price for just the gameplay alone. I mean my goodness this game is fun. The story is typical KMMO dogshit of course, but if you want a good story-driven MMO your only option is really FF14. And the field missions are such a significant drop in engagement/fun after doing the big RTS fights. Thankfully you don't have to deal with field missions too much.

Future content updates are supposed to be new missions, classes, and troops.

How do I play this game?

It's on Steam or you can buy it directly from Gameforge. Don't do that though, buy it on Steam so you can refund it if you don't like it!

HERE IT IS ON STEAM GIVE IT A GO

There are multiple packages that they're going to add to Steam that are currently available directly through Gameforge.

You can see the packages here

Of note, all the bonus things like tickets are basically completely redundant. The cubics are the only things that are of value, and you get a shitload in-game from just doing quests. Getting to level 10 alone gets you like 500 cubics.

:siren: PLAYING WITH GOONS :siren:

We're on the Revolution Coalition, NOT the Protection Alliance!!!!

Archonex posted:

Post your name here and i'll see if I can invite you. Not sure if you need to be online to get invited but literally anyone in the guild can invite currently so once we get a few people in it probably won't matter that much.

Edit: Also, there's a guild buff system where you can unlock skills via skill trees. Just from a brief look it looks like some of them might be pretty useful if they apply to player troops. They're percentage additions and multipliers so given how high stats can get that could be fairly huge.

There's everything from damage and defense/other stat buffs to economy related buffs (IE: Enchanting, crafting, auctioneering, etc, etc.), to EXP earned buffs. There's also a guild shop which by default appears to only hold stat buff potions. Though there is a tab to customize the shop so I guess we'll figure that out as we go.

TL;DR: What i'm saying is that it looks like it'd be a good idea to be in a guild.

Also, it appears you can apply to guilds. So just apply to GOON and i'll accept you.

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Is there any PvP or Guild-based territorial control?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So how much PvE content does this have? Compared to say a classic RTS campaign like in the recent AOE2 re-release (and its multitudes of scripted campaigns).

Also they have minimal information on basically anything on their site, e.g. +1 character slot over how many base slots?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 19, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dipwood posted:

Is there any PvP or Guild-based territorial control?

There are both! There's duels (1vs1) and invasions which are more large-scale PvP. The territorial control aspect I haven't dug into.

lurksion posted:

So how much PvE content does this have? Compared to say a classic RTS campaign like in the recent AOE2 re-release (and its multitudes of scripted campaigns).

Also they have minimal information on basically anything on their site, e.g. +1 character slot over how many base slots?

Most of the game is PvE, and it's supposed to be your primary focus-- I think people are saying it takes like 30 hours to get to 30 (max level). It's got a full campaign akin to WC3/AOE2 alongside repeatable missions you can do solo or with other players.

You start with 4 character slots, and there are 5 classes. 6 is the maximum amount of slots. Making an alt of the same class makes zero sense

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
There's PvP but it doesn't open up until lvl 20 I heard so not sure what it looks like for now.

You get 4 base slots.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So there is end game pvp and pve content but I've only done the pve so far due to a lack of end game people.

It does not take long to get to 30 though.

At level 10 you get to choose a side for pvp and if one side has too many players it will lock recruitment for that side.

Guilds are also locked to a side like so.

They provide buffs and that is about it.

PvP seems to be either 1v1 in the city of duels with no troops (maybe can have more) or 3v3 with 3 troops each and 7 reserve in the city of melee.

There is also a war map that I assume is territory control but it says you need to do a level 24 tutorial that no one can find. Most likely the war mode is not in yet.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Trip report, did one of the three invasion maps.

There is a barracks that you can spend barracks point so n to spawn units. Each person has their own barracks points. You go down three lanes to kill the portals spawning bad guys then fight a boss.

It's fun.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Thank god someone made an OP so I don’t have to.

Game owns bones it’s like a mix of Total war and Dynasty Warriors.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If the core gameplay wasn't as fun as it is I wouldn't look at this game for a second but it is a blast.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So when you get to 28, get someone to craft you a full set of garbage. Also don't sell your old gear, deconstruct it in your inventory.

Once you are 28 you are supposed to grind for gear to get "god's blessing" up to a certain point based on some maps. If it is below that, you suffer a damage debuff and healing debuff. The crafted gear takes items from the 28+ maps but it is easy enough to get.

It has slightly less stats than the dropped gear but it will be fine.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

poo poo.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm probably going to pick this up on Steam, how easy is it to get a feel for different classes to decide which one you'd want to play? I don't really know any specifics about one being busted above all others or one being horribly poo poo aside from Berserker being the slowest to level for reasons unknown (and that it's also apparently all AoE with no single target damage?)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think you'll have a good feel by about level 6, but it doesn't take long to level much anyways.

For broken things, PvP "meta" is to not play melee-only because you can get easily stun/harassed indefinitely by ranged folks, supposedly. In PvE they're all good in their own way. The downside of berserker is that you'll probably want to bring some single-target armies like riflemen since he's not great at single-target.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So, we can make a goon-only guild or a goon-pubbie mixed guild (I lean on mixed for member volume). I think the extent of guild shenanigans is just the guild chat channel and minor guild buffs, and there actually isn't guild territory (yet?) so it's not important to be #1 top guild or whatever.

I can maintain a google doc for IGNs if we don't go the guild route.

My (new) IGN is Sylendis after I realized I hate berserker, hit me up in game!

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
How is the character customization? Do they do that annoying thing where each class is a pre-set character and gender that you have to use as your template?

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!

Ritznit posted:

How is the character customization? Do they do that annoying thing where each class is a pre-set character and gender that you have to use as your template?

Yeah each class is a specific character that you can make minor changes to.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

how to play enchanter

first go buy the costume that doesn't allow for panty shots on the cubit shop

then cast any spell and hit R at the end of it to make your pet power up and attack a target while giving you a dodge

otherwise pressing R is power up or attack and doesn't dodge

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Kalion posted:

Yeah each class is a specific character that you can make minor changes to.

There goes my interest. Shame.

EDIT: I'm guessing it's not as hilariously breakable as Black Desert's character customization, either?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No, the customization is basically just the hair and the face.

Wow elementalist is strong. What that dude said is right. Most people will hit for 20, the bear hits for like 300 and also get the anti-panty shot outfit.

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 19, 2019

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Eh... I'm on the fence on this still. Lots of people irritated with the game (And I find most MMOs aggressively unfun) but there's also folks (like here) that are saying its still got pve content comparable to the old KUF games. Guess i'll look it over for the next couple days when my paycheck hits.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I've only gone the ice path on the elementalist, not the fire path.

But the advanced combo list in skills is legit good info on them.

So here is your pet breakdown.

Bear - starter pokemon. Gets in the way often. Gives magic pen.
Panther - Best pokemon. Has damage reflect shield, aoe, and you can R->right click to get a speed boost. You are an elf so won't know the difference as you are the second fastest class.
Golem - Pocket Ogre. Gets in the way often.

How to be an rear end in group play.

Bring a golem as an elementalist or a scorpion and leave it on the boss to keep pushing it or other players away.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 20, 2019

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
How to Play Ranger:

Ignore concentration, it only gives you a 50% damage increase (or don't, up to you). Ranger has a few bigs things

Combos: In any of your left click combos you can press R to continue into a different combo. You can do a full 7 hit combo if you press R after your third left click, and then right click to do your full damage combo.

Evasion: In the middle of your left click combo press R (don't ask me why it isn't right click) to go into a different combo. Then press Right click to jump away.

Charge Shots: when In bow stance your Right Click and 1 (Rapid Aim) gets a charge ability. After 2 charges (3? Ill edit afterwards) if you charge anymore you will break your bow and do a weak shot. If you fire after 2 charges, you will do a follow up shot that does AOE magic damage, very useful.

Typical combo against mobs: Throw Daggers, left click, left click to compelte combo. Evade (Your skill) and left click to throw dagger. Now that you have distance, press R for bow. Charge to rank 2 and fire.

Typical Combo against big baddies: Change to bow, right click charge to lvl 2, pew pew. Evade (your skill) and left click to throw dagger. Laugh as the enemy has no idea how to deal with a range character (watch our for mortars though)

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
The OP is missing the loving FIELD MISSIONS. They are so bad.

Field missions are like WOW. It's just you, no troops, you go to Korean NPC and Press F to continue the plot as you talk to NPC, kill a few enemies that have no chance. Rinse and repeat until you get the fun RTS missions.

I found hard mode to be more enjoyable in the RTS missions than easy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The field missions are thankfully getting more and more scarce as you get higher level because, yeah, it's the same boring poo poo in any other MMO. Whoever decided THAT was the defining quality in calling a game an MMO is a real idiot, they're the worst part of any MMO especially this one.

Ranger is my favorite because you get to do a lot with it, but I'm also digging spellsword even though ranged damage is super useful.

My class power rankings (< level 20):

1) Elementalist
2) Ranger
3) Gunslinger
4) Spellsword
5) Berserker

Most pubbies seem to be playing berserker and gunslinger I think, so it should be easy to dunk on them if you're good at control/ranged damage.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think that the elementalist pet starts at level 30 and I know it has a pvp scaling issue.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I and 5 other compentent randos and 2 other people crammed our faces into EXTREME (8 person) missions 4 times for a while and we didn't make it. They're hard. You have to do things right and juggle a bunch of stuff. And then after that there's still raids (16 person).

Drakenel posted:

Eh... I'm on the fence on this still. Lots of people irritated with the game (And I find most MMOs aggressively unfun) but there's also folks (like here) that are saying its still got pve content comparable to the old KUF games. Guess i'll look it over for the next couple days when my paycheck hits.
The WoW stuff is filler which doesn't take much time to get through if you skip all the text. Doing literally all of it took maybe about 4-5 hours of game time compared to the 70 or so I've put into the battle maps (some of which are interspersed in the WoW quest chains). The meat of the game and all the top level stuff is in mass battles plus the subjugation missions where you only have your troops and one random sometimes-daily that you take your hero and beat up 1000 mans and two bosses.

jokes posted:

My class power rankings (< level 20):

1) Elementalist
2) Ranger
3) Gunslinger
4) Spellsword
5) Berserker

Most pubbies seem to be playing berserker and gunslinger I think, so it should be easy to dunk on them if you're good at control/ranged damage.
List is accurate enough imo, but Gunslinger has a couple of really hard hits so I wouldn't call it easy to dunk on at range (nobody has real range high dps other than maybe elementalist), though it doesn't compete in PvP with the bugged elementalist skill that basically one shots anyone with a damage reflect.

Ranger rules if you can time the dagger mastery capston, Chest Puncture. There's about a 50ms or less timing window you have to hit with the dagger capstone to do crazy damage and apply a big dot and reduce their defense greatly for 10 seconds. If you can hit that consistently, it's great. If not you might want to go gunslinger if you want damage or berserker if you want to not die, or split the difference and go elementalist. I have not played or seen enough spellsword to make a judgement there.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 20, 2019

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

This game is basically almost everything I wanted out of Dynasty Warriors past #5 or so.

My biggest gripe is that some bosses have more health that is really necessary and on some maps you end up just slogging them for several minutes past any real challenge.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 20, 2019

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Lets talk about invasion missions.

There are 3 of them, they all have the same map but different mechanics.

So this version lets you bring your 3 troops but as you earn battle points (BP) you can swap units out or just summon more units.

These units are not under your control and you can summon one of each. If they die, you can resummon them.

this means you can put them where you need on the map or bring in extra wizards or what not. It seems like they cast their spells like normal.

And it owns.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Dunno if it changes later but these dumb flamethrower troops murder everything while I do nothing and it's great.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kylra posted:

This game is basically almost everything I wanted out of Dynasty Warriors past #5 or so.

For me, it hits like a LOT of those "I wish there was a game that ____" feelings of mine.

e:

RoyalScion posted:

Dunno if it changes later but these dumb flamethrower troops murder everything while I do nothing and it's great.

Try a cavalry charge (Hiro Cavalry) on a huge mass of mooks. Absurd damage.

jokes fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 20, 2019

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Wow, I just learned you can auto cast troop skills. if it has a yellow outline, right click it and your troops will auto cast it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I just finished an EXTREME with some other guild's 7/8 group with me as the rando. It was fun. Had to bring the right stuff, do the right things, and even then it was kind of hard.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Kaedes is easier than Rebel Fortress. I don't have the third unlocked, and I think it takes the hardest crack sidequest completion to unlock?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I saw some what appeared to be more end-game style gameplay out on a big open plane that emphasized the RTS part of it more than just someone mashing buttons out on the dynasty warriors part of it and then clicking his units onto his own position every few seconds. Actually looks rather sick.

Pretty sure I'm going to pick this up tomorrow after work. :toot:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A part of me is wondering if I should zoom to 30 or continue to try out other classes up to 18 since it's a lot harder/longer to level up post 18.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

End game content is a lot of fun.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also, for how badly the game hides poo poo in tool tips, lets talk elementalist again.

So having the bear out gives you 210 physical and magical pen
The cat gives you 150 crit rate
The golem gives 390 Magic defense

But after you summon it, you can just get rid of it for buffs that don't go away until you resummon

Bear 630 Magic pen, 10% magic attack
Cat 300 Crit, 0.5 movement speed
Golem 1170 Magic Defense, 15% hp

How big are these numbers?

Big enough. These are my stats in level 28 gear.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

With the way it works out you're probably still pretty behind on raw attack stats if that's how the buffs work out. You have a lot of magic defense though!

I have a couple level 30 purples on my ranger, but it's not going to make up all the difference here except maybe in base attack since i have one level 30 weapon and a 4 piece lethal set bonus.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Are ogres any good? trying to make an all orc army, which i have a feeling is not a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Since this is a Korean style game, I have to ask - Does this let you invert the Y-axis for the camera? It always seems kind of 50/50 if they do or don't and its hard for me to rewire my brain for action games to move in the oppisite direction when I'm trying to snap to targets in the middle of the fight.

Assuming it doesn't have it, how much vertical camera control (outside of the RTS segment) do you even do during the combat?