Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I saw there’s a patch for this. Did the goons die out already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Games on sale but I guess the answer to my last post was yes. Toss another in the game graveyard.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think most people just kinda stopped playing this after a month or so. I've been meaning to hop back in but I'm pretty sure I'm well under geared for everything now and good luck finding groups to help you get geared up now.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Another good game crushed by incompetence and poor management.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah I think most people just kinda stopped playing this after a month or so. I've been meaning to hop back in but I'm pretty sure I'm well under geared for everything now and good luck finding groups to help you get geared up now.

Christmas slaughtered the goon population. As it always tends to do with most games. In addition to that, my internet has been very spotty to the point where I can't even get on. So I can't invite and am having to rely on other members of the guild for that. In fact, I just now today managed to finish downloading the last update the game had. :stonk:

That being said i'm expecting things will pick up once there's a major update. As it currently is the game's a little light on end game content due to the caps on daily runs. Whether that means we'll have enough for a goon guild is up to other folks, though.

Hy_C posted:

Another good game crushed by incompetence and poor management.

Eh, it's not even that. The game's great. It's just that the timing of it was a bit poor for a goon rush. They really need to get the Paladin and Vampire class that's been talked about out, along with some new repeatable content and associated rewards. That, and maybe get a better way of advertising the game's existence. At release I couldn't even find the official forums on google and thought they didn't exist up until a random link in a post took me to them.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 29, 2020

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That reminds me, have they removed the stupid limit on running missions? Only being able to do something 3 times a day was stupid as heck.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
This game is having a free weekend on Steam if you're like me and didn't want to spend money but wanted to give it a shot.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I am going to download and possibly even play this anime titty game. How long is the boring mmo questing part?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's long-ish but is interspersed by really fun army battles.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So there's a free weekend here and I was kinda curious about this being a Dynasty Warriors-like? How long does it take to get to those bits?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I played for hours and barely even got to do tutorial missions of the actual game it's all talk to guy, turn around and grab item the guy asked for, talk to guy again. Ok now go down the road and talk to another guy, who is actually the same guy you just talked to he moved?

JimmyTurtle
Jun 20, 2010

The Tribbles Ate My Loot!

jokes posted:

It's long-ish but is interspersed by really fun army battles.

I've only played up to the crystal mine before the castle, level 6 or so, several hours, but so far even the army battle where I dragged squads around were very rail-like. Nothing like a big-rear end battle where everyone is doing their own thing and you can choose where to attack for best effect like I remember from the VERY FIRST MISSION in Dynasty Warriors 3 TWENTY YEARS AGO.

Will it get better? Or is it just Railquest Tycoon: Squad Leader for 24 more levels?

(Even the "epic battles" in LOTRO have less obvious rails: They did it by timed attacks against objectives you HAD to defend, not by making the map look like a corridor)

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It opens up more once you hit max level and get access to the raids. Which is a while and I'm not sure you can do it in a free weekend unless you really grind through the mmorpg parts.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I got a friend to slog through last night and we never got to play together other than running back and forth in town. I don’t know what I am going to do to make it up to him. I can see the potential fun from the tutorial missions but those tutorials are just a zero challenge brain dead exercise like everything else.

All of you who managed to get to max level what is your deal? What illness do you suffer from?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Comrayn posted:

I got a friend to slog through last night and we never got to play together other than running back and forth in town. I don’t know what I am going to do to make it up to him. I can see the potential fun from the tutorial missions but those tutorials are just a zero challenge brain dead exercise like everything else.

All of you who managed to get to max level what is your deal? What illness do you suffer from?
By the fourth army mission or so iirc you should be able to group with them for at least some of those. After the airship crash and the bit of runup afterward to get you into the first real hub city. I think you can also always do the mmorpg parts together.

You just do the mmorpg fetch stuff as quickly as you can. If you're doing it right you can probably crush 100% of the stuff of that kind it offers you within 10 hours, which is more than enough to get you to max level. Though there are a lot of army missions interspersed in those as well. And if you're doing all of those on hard they aren't really a cakewalk unless they got made easier.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Ok maybe you guys are just the normal amount of MMO player broke brained because that sounds like five minutes after we quit the game finally opens up. Dracula showed up out of nowhere to drop a meteor on my spaceship then we had to do more item fetching and said screw it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Just remember that this game is basically a last ditch effort to recoup losses from development.

They half made 3 or 5 games then smashed them together to make one game.

So poo poo starts to change really fast and some times you are not gonna see things again like the air ship section.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
What exactly am I supposed to do with the chest of free junk they start you with (via mail). Also stash where?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

JimmyTurtle posted:

I've only played up to the crystal mine before the castle, level 6 or so, several hours, but so far even the army battle where I dragged squads around were very rail-like. Nothing like a big-rear end battle where everyone is doing their own thing and you can choose where to attack for best effect like I remember from the VERY FIRST MISSION in Dynasty Warriors 3 TWENTY YEARS AGO.

Will it get better? Or is it just Railquest Tycoon: Squad Leader for 24 more levels?

(Even the "epic battles" in LOTRO have less obvious rails: They did it by timed attacks against objectives you HAD to defend, not by making the map look like a corridor)
Yes, it absolutely gets better.

Around mid game you start getting ridiculous army battles. There will be one where it's just a straight up "here's like 900 guys on one side, here's 900 guys on the other side. Have fun with ripping the poo poo out of each other. Also, there's giant cthulhu elephants.". That's when things start to open up. Army battles tend to get progressively larger and over the top from there.

On top of that, there's a number of army battles that are also "corridor-like" in that they're basically the MMO equivalent of a dungeon. However, these are also interspersed with a number of extremely large field battles that act as repeatable end game content as well.

There are also a number of end game activities that are just straight up "You're out numbered ten to one. Go re-enact the cover of a metal album." like that one where the dead. just. keep. spawning. until you slog your way through the hordes and slaughter the necromancers. Depending on how you do it it it's either :black101: as gently caress or a fiddly game where you sprint around the main fight and gut the necromancers while the zombies are slaughtering the NPC portion of the army.

There is also a siege battle and PVP guild-wise is also supposedly largely open field army battles. However Christmas loving slaughtered the guild so I mostly gave up on us getting to see that content. On top of that, my internet is wrecked for nearly 24/7 so I can't get on to lead the damned thing if there's even anyone left that's interested in guild stuff.

The big problem with the game is the conventional field quest content. Why anyone would want KMMO #4100 is beyond me. Thankfully that stuff dies out entirely eventually. Unfortunately they like to pad that poo poo out for uncomfortable amounts of time when leveling up.

Edit: There's also this kinda interesting MOBA game type against the AI that last I checked everyone just kind of bypasses by sprinting through the armies and killing the enemy spawners. However, it was also capped to playing it so many times a day for some stupid reason. Basically KMMO logic carried over to the US. At least one version of it lets you deploy all of your troops at once. Which can be as ridiculous as you might imagine. Imagine a tidal wave of burly orcs wielding flamethrowers just incinerating anything they come in contact with.

Third World Reagan posted:

Just remember that this game is basically a last ditch effort to recoup losses from development.

They half made 3 or 5 games then smashed them together to make one game.

So poo poo starts to change really fast and some times you are not gonna see things again like the air ship section.

Pretty sure it's more that it got retooled multiple times. There's a rumor going around that it's a last ditch effort but I don't think it was ever confirmed. Mostly it stems from the fact that they ran a bunch of beta's overseas and then closed them down. But the company supposedly said that was the plan all along since why the gently caress not I guess.

The exception to this is the Russian version of the game which shut down 2 years after it's release there. But I don't even think anyone even knew it released given that it was more of a surprise that KUF got a Russia exclusive version of the game and had shut down without anyone knowing of it. Hell, the why of why the game got a Russia only version of the game two years ago (along with how the gently caress they expected one country to support the existence of a MMO) is beyond me.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 24, 2020

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I recently got into Kingdom Under Fire 2 when I finally got a decent desktop computer to run it. Glad to see the game still works, even if it is a bit of a ghost town right now. Around level 13 as Spellsword and 5 as Elementalist. I always like playing mage classes, though I do wish I could get a less silly outfit without shelling out a bunch of special currency. The combat doesn't feel especially deep yet, but I can definitely see potential. Spellsword combos feel fun and engaging, Elementalist feels kind of awkward but the pets are cool.

I keep trying to bring a scorpion unit I purchased with Troop Coins into battle, but in the army select for the mission there's a red line through their icon until I replace it with regular soldiers. Am I missing something important? Would like a horde of bug buddies, but if they are banned from most missions it might not be worth leveling them up.

I intend to stick it out until I get to the giant cthulhu elephant fight, at minimum. The game art style feels kinda grey and colorless, but the translation feels better than when I tried Black Desert for a bit. And the story's field quests are WAY less grindy. I don't care about any of the 3+ evil wizards that have cackled at me and run away so far, but I am curious to see what the game is setting up with the messed up politics in the first big city. Not exactly sure if I am down with slaughtering deserters for this place after seeing how it treats refugees at the gates.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
And it's dying.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1132210/view/2942528520966042342

quote:

Gameforge will discontinue operation of KINGDOM UNDER FIRE 2 on 26/10/2021

Dear Bersians,
regrettably, we must announce today that the time has come to cease the fighting on the battlefields of Bersia: Gameforge will discontinue the operation of KINGDOM UNDER FIRE 2 on 26/10/2021.
We look back on epic mass battles, hordes of enemies and, in particular, a unique community. We are grateful for the amazing time we could spend together and will always remember it fondly.

From 16/9/2021, you will no longer be able to top up premium currency. You’ll continue to be able to use any premium currency you have until the servers are switched off, of course.

The servers will go offline on 26/10/2021. We are therefore terminating the user contracts on this date.

Thank you again for all the great moments and we wish you all the best!
The KuF2 Team

Maybe private servers will continue or some such, but...

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I tried playing this again a week or two ago and did not see a single soul. Absolutely no one else. Even on other MMOs that were dying or on life support I could at least spot someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Went to Reddit to read some takes but it looks like the newest post was half a year ago. I think I was 20 minutes over from receiving a refund when I tried.

But I did just find out that both Xbox KUFs got PC ports last year on steam, so I know what I’ll be playing this weekend!