Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Fizzil posted:

Are ogres any good? trying to make an all orc army, which i have a feeling is not a good idea.
They're ok, but other options are generally better at the moment, like slaughterers.

Zaodai posted:

Assuming it doesn't have it, how much vertical camera control (outside of the RTS segment) do you even do during the combat?
You can't raise the camera level in hero mode, and I think only rangers in bow mode can fire upward and hit air units anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Fizzil posted:

Are ogres any good? trying to make an all orc army, which i have a feeling is not a good idea.

The orcs in this world are pure and good boys. Never let the dream die.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They are beautiful little wretches. They don’t need armor, their inner beauty and self-confidence protects them from all harm.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Maybe they changed it here, but I remember in the old games they basically were written as 'what the hell is going on? Why are we being invaded? gently caress soldiering, I'd rather be farming.' and generally would rather not be dragged into everyone's poo poo.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Saw this yesterday on Steam and was thinking of picking it up and making a thread for it if it was good. Glad to hear that it's fun. Kingdom under Fire and Crusaders were rad as gently caress back in the day.

Two questions though:

Does it still have the vicious butt rock during combat? Not sure it's gonna feel the same without some guitarist and drummer rocking the gently caress out so hard that it sounds like the guitarist's pick has snapped and they're bleeding from their fingertips.

Is this thing going to actually get content updates? Last I heard, the game shut down literally everywhere else in the world. From what I can see only one faction from the original games' classes are in. It'd be nice to play as some the "monster" (which really tended to be rather chill dudes wondering why the humans were going all Deus Vult on their lands.) classes like the dark elves and those vampires from Crusaders. The latter of which was literally what'd happen if you put a drain tank in Dynasty Warriors and was hilariously amazing to play if you knew how to combo right.

The reason I ask the second question is because i'm not sure if this game has long term viability if it's basically going to be in maintenance mode from the word go.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 21, 2019

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Fizzil posted:

I've been doing a pure orc run since launch and it's great. Slaughterers are one of the strongest units in the game right now and Scorpions are limited for a reason. Ogres are nice but their main point of getting to the tasty backline archers is hampered by them not dealing with spearmen too well and they're frail enough that the archers will usually focus fire them to death.

Armored Beetles however are great for this because they have a secret OP ability called crouch where they just hunker down and gain all the armor that has ever existed and let their health regen passive get them back to full while the archers waste shots on them and not your frontline.

The only units I would say to avoid early on is fighters and brawlers. They're great force multipliers once you rank them up, but if you're by yourself or only with a friend they don't do enough on their own. The cav is also nice at 4 stars but a bit too micro intensive and buggy with their charge. Axe Throwers rule but also need a fair amount of micro to stop them from walking into units with their short range.

My go to loadout for getting poo poo done even in the level 30 content is Slaughterers, Armored Beetle, and a Scorpion. If you're a well built Berserker you can just trash poo poo with the boys while the scorpion and beetle run off to kill all the archers. Always keep the scorpion's tail slam on cooldown and keep it out of fights you want ended quick.

Archonex posted:

Is this thing going to actually get content updates? Last I heard, the game shut down literally everywhere else in the world. From what I can see only one faction from the original games' classes are in. It'd be nice to play as some the "monster" (which really tended to be rather chill dudes wondering why the humans were going all Deus Vult on their lands.) classes like the dark elves and those vampires from Crusaders. The latter of which was literally what'd happen if you put a drain tank in Dynasty Warriors and was hilariously amazing to play if you knew how to combo right.

The reason I ask the second question is because i'm not sure if this game has long term viability if it's basically going to be in maintenance mode from the word go.

I'll be honest, with how completely rear end the stability is and how much worse it gets in the end-game content, I can't see this game surviving more than a year without some serious fixes soon. All your settings need to be lowered to absolute minimum to stop massive FPS drops in some of the later 4 mans. And there's some super annoying crashes and server disconnects that'll happen in the larger battles with no way to rejoin them. The game feels like it's been hacked together by multiple companies who lost the orignal dev tools years ago. It's still fun despite this, but if the next few major patches don't work on fixing this then it'll probably just cement in the feeling of this being a cashgrab by a publisher who got the game for cheap.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The betas were shut down elsewhere in the world, but that isn't to say the game doesn't have issues.

The current problem I have is just the crashes and how the game handles crashes.

I don't know if it will get much of an update but 2 more classes are expected and 30 more units.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Their next content patch is supposedly 16man raids and 45 more units.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Hy_C posted:

Jesus christ. :stare:

Okay, picking this up. Given how many companies and countries this has bounced too while it was in beta (it was never released until now, right?) I can excuse a bit of jank in the development process so long as it's clear they're making progress.

45 new units is just insane too. I don't think the original KUF and Crusaders had that many combined.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Archonex posted:

Does it still have the vicious butt rock during combat? Not sure it's gonna feel the same without some guitarist and drummer rocking the gently caress out so hard that it sounds like the guitarist's pick has snapped and they're bleeding from their fingertips.

There's a lot of butt rock, hell yeah brother.

Also I can tell everyone I have played this for about 25 hours and haven't encountered a single crash or gameplay bug-- maybe this changes in certain endgame content. Well, one time a dude's HP showed him at 100% but he still died after I wailed on him like normal so I guess that was a UI bug.

The content updates are almost assuredly going to just be more fights, classes, and troops in the near future, maybe a better translation but who knows. I know their first announcement was (I think) an elf sorceress class and ~40 troops. I'd imagine the raid will suck up a LOT of people's time for a good long while, especially since people are taking PVP seriously and PvE gear affects PvP performance.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

jokes posted:

There's a lot of butt rock, hell yeah brother.

gently caress. Yes. :black101:

KUF just wouldn't be the same without the ridiculously over the top music as a backdrop to some hellish meat grinder battle where two armies worth of people just obliterate each other in hand to hand combat. Or the equally over the top cut-scenes, like anything to do with Regnier and him being the edgiest macho man barbarian ever.

Now I just gotta hope my lovely internet connection lets me play this.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 21, 2019

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Archonex posted:

There is butt rock.

Even if it doesn't last long term there is most definitely $30 worth or more of interesting game here.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Has a goon guild been made yet? I need an invite on Danae

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I'm glad they intersperse the field areas with actual army missions cause fuuuuck they're the most basic MMO horseshit and I hate it. Trudging through though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hy_C posted:

Should I whale it up or just get in at base cost? :shobon:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Whaling doesn't do much in this game.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
There have been a number of server crashes and the fps drops in battles can be real bad sometimes, if I walk into a Blizzard cast by one of the ice mages it takes my FPS to the floor and I have a decently modern processor (7700k) and a 1080 TI.

The game is still pretty fun, although my flamethrower orcs are finally started to meet their match when they get put against 5 scorpions and a mammoth.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reagan posted:

Whaling doesn't do much in this game.

Do not lie to me Grithok.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stanley Pain posted:

In fact it does absolutely nothing for you! Even the costumes are attainable without spending bux.

Pubbies do not understand this, of course.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Most costumes.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The heroic troop can get you around some annoying RNG, and the 365 day premium account things can save you a decent chunk of cubics if you're not doing all your dailies every day (which does take a while), but otherwise there's not really a significant time saving benefit to the biggest pack over the smallest.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

I have 2 costumes and a mount that they can not have, all cosmetic.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Spellsword is extremely my jam. Me and a friend I roped into this have started playing and it's even better with more people.

I could have sworn I read somewhere in the thread something about a vendor that sells rare troops and the stock randomly rotates. Is it just the guy in the first big city that sells you books for ~500 troop coins? He only seemed to have a smattering of blue troops, no purples, and I thought someone said there was a person who had a (daily?) cycling inventory of a small selection of purples. Entirely possible I'm remembering wrong, but it's driving me nuts so I had to ask.

Any specifics on acquiring troops in general is appreciated.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Spellsword is extremely my jam. Me and a friend I roped into this have started playing and it's even better with more people.

I could have sworn I read somewhere in the thread something about a vendor that sells rare troops and the stock randomly rotates. Is it just the guy in the first big city that sells you books for ~500 troop coins? He only seemed to have a smattering of blue troops, no purples, and I thought someone said there was a person who had a (daily?) cycling inventory of a small selection of purples. Entirely possible I'm remembering wrong, but it's driving me nuts so I had to ask.

Any specifics on acquiring troops in general is appreciated.

I don't think there's a rare troop vendor. There's still gold troop coins you can get from the lucky vendor boxes, but most of the stuff you get from that vendor are things that were cut and can't be used.

The main way you're gonna get troops is the troop coin guy and the boxes from climax battles. Every mission for climax missions should also give a troop box. And there's a very rare chance to get a troop from subjugation missions but it's a rare pull from the mission end card.

Purple troops are basically the end-game right now. Extreme missions are the only way to reliably get purple troops and it's a random unit. Their visionstones are also purchased from the crack vendor so even if you got a purple from a package you're not gonna be ranking it up until 30.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Each troop is cool and fun so the diversity of troops you can nab Is really fun to build around.

The downside, of course, is that there are pre-eminent “best” troops everyone just grabs, like slaughterers and scorpions because they’re “the best”, at least for now. I’m sure a nerf will be coming because they do absurd damage relative to others. Even a perfect cavalry charge into a full crowd of multiple units doesn’t do as much damage as what a slaughtered can poop out basically passively.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

I don't think there's a rare troop vendor. There's still gold troop coins you can get from the lucky vendor boxes, but most of the stuff you get from that vendor are things that were cut and can't be used.

The main way you're gonna get troops is the troop coin guy and the boxes from climax battles. Every mission for climax missions should also give a troop box. And there's a very rare chance to get a troop from subjugation missions but it's a rare pull from the mission end card.

Purple troops are basically the end-game right now. Extreme missions are the only way to reliably get purple troops and it's a random unit. Their visionstones are also purchased from the crack vendor so even if you got a purple from a package you're not gonna be ranking it up until 30.

I saw the purple visionestone crack vendor while looking around last night, so it's good to know how all that works.

Is there any harm in buying a blue troop from the vendor guy for coins while leveling then, or should I be sticking with my potato quality ones from the story until 30 before I pick them up? I don't want to horribly gimp myself at the end because I couldn't wait few hours to buy some better troops.

Thank you for the info.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

No. Blue squads are just fine.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hy_C posted:

I have 2 costumes and a mount that they can not have, all cosmetic.

I, of course, whaled it up ;)

Pretty fun game so far.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Zaodai posted:

I saw the purple visionestone crack vendor while looking around last night, so it's good to know how all that works.

Is there any harm in buying a blue troop from the vendor guy for coins while leveling then, or should I be sticking with my potato quality ones from the story until 30 before I pick them up? I don't want to horribly gimp myself at the end because I couldn't wait few hours to buy some better troops.

Thank you for the info.

You’ll be using blues for a very long time. I would not waste resources on grey units if you have equivalent blues. Purple unit upgrades are gated by a daily capped resource and a magnitude more gold requirement.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Avoid greys for sure, but blues are useful forever.

Some people say having a "super squad" and a "cheap squad" is useful, since encouraging troops can cost a lot of gold, and you don't want to use your biggest/strongest bois for easy/daily missions. So having a reliable couple blue troops is a good idea economically, but greys I imagine are even cheaper but categorically worse.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Grey's aren't too bad. Yeah they're gonna be missing like 5000 stats compared to a blue. But a lot of a unit's use comes from it's skills and passives and greys can unlock all their skills and passives for like 60k gold if that. I wouldn't go and make your whole team greys, but having one or two at 5 stars can be good for figuring out what units suck hard without passives.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I avoided spears because I thought they were mostly anti-cav but holy poo poo these guys are F A N T A S T I C. With rifles/bows and a spearwall, there's not much that can actually gently caress you up (outside of spells or something that disrupts the formation or bursts down the spearwall.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Anybody have any real recommendations for keybinds? They weren't so bad when I just had 1-4, 5 I can get to when I need it but 6-8 are going to be a problem and the potion buttons are straight out. Seems most of the normal keybinds are already in use, and I can't assign my two side mouse buttons because Korea. I could just do 1-4 and then Shift+1-4 but I'm not sure how well that'd necessarily work in timing specific combos.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Whoever said gunslingers were bad in duels lied.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Drakenel posted:

Maybe they changed it here, but I remember in the old games they basically were written as 'what the hell is going on? Why are we being invaded? gently caress soldiering, I'd rather be farming.' and generally would rather not be dragged into everyone's poo poo.

Hexter got blown the gently caress up in A War of Heroes and never really recovered. As a result, they're too busy trying to survive to mess with people. That also means if somebody can unite them and remind them, well, there's also a lot of potential anger there. Kilianiu, Rick Blood/Regnier, even Valdemar and the Dark Elves by proxy.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Okay, having played this a bit I can say that this game is legitimately rad as gently caress and a worthy successor to KUF. Maybe that changes later on but yeah, i'm in the first few hours of it and it seems like it's something a lot of folks on here have been wishing MMO's would be for years.

It's got the high speed dynamic combat of BOE mixed with KUF's slightly janky "man in a crowd tearing poo poo up" sorta mass warfare combat. Only when you're not forced into playing on a generic MMO field full of "aggro this to fight this" style monsters the monsters actually do poo poo.

For instance, an early mission has you fighting your way through a village that's under attack from the Encablossian demons. While a player is likely to be too new to notice at first, the demons are actually synergizing their attacks to maximize their killing potential. There are "mage" type enemy NPC's making sure to send spells into the mass of troops fighting, generic soldier types locking down the friendly NPC's, and some weird mutant wolf types that prowl around the fight looking for vulnerable characters that can be picked off.

And keep in mind that while this is happening there are upwards of 50+ characters on screen at all times between the town militia and the demons slugging it out in pitched combat. It's even possible to save the militia if you're good enough at disrupting the flow of combat, despite them basically being a bunch of peasants armed with pitch forks.

There's none of that Dynasty Warriors style "We stand around forever and get slaughtered." poo poo too. If you don't know how to fight with a given character (and they all seem to have vastly different play styles. More on that later.) you'll start to take hits fast as you hit get to the last battle between the forces of the village and the demons. They come at you hard and fast, and can sometimes be a bit tricky to boot. For instance, before I realized they existed I kept wondering why I kept seeing these massive waves of purple-ish black energy slam into my character from the side. Turns out a bunch of caster type demons had maneuvered to my flank and were waiting until I was engaged in helping the soldiers to snipe me.

Also, note that i've only played the elementalist so far since someone said she was OP as heck but holy poo poo is she kind of ridiculous. One of the (several) class mechanics she has basically can be summed up as some kid feeding magical PCP and steroids to her pet bear to roid it up and make it hit like a truck. :allears:

Mind you, as it gets buffed the bear seems like it grows in size. The final form i've managed to get can do hundreds of damage per hit at level 7 and appears to make it drat near car sized. This is complete with a golden aura that makes it seem like it's going SSJ or some such crazy poo poo. And the SSJ Bear will straight up just rampage through a massive 100+ man fight sending soldiers flying to get to you and one shot anything that threatens your safety. The thing hits for insane amounts of damage too. I all but one shotted the village missions "commander"/boss/whatever by just buffing it up and pointing at the poor bastard while he tried to get away from my rabid murder machine.

TL;DR: This game deserves way more attention that it's getting and y'all should pick it up. Seems like no one even knows it's out since the servers are listed at low pop (or maybe they just have really high capacity since there's only 1 mega server for US and 1 for EU? :shrug:) and everyone i've talked too is like "Wait, that actually exists in a released form?".

Zaodai posted:

Anybody have any real recommendations for keybinds? They weren't so bad when I just had 1-4, 5 I can get to when I need it but 6-8 are going to be a problem and the potion buttons are straight out. Seems most of the normal keybinds are already in use, and I can't assign my two side mouse buttons because Korea. I could just do 1-4 and then Shift+1-4 but I'm not sure how well that'd necessarily work in timing specific combos.

Try setting 7 and 8/whatever the higher numbers you use are to shift-q and shift-r? Less finger movement that way. Alternatively, if you're playing a class that doesn't use the R key that much just set 7 and 8 to q and r and rebind mount horse to shift-q and the r attack skill to shift-r.

Honestly, i'd look at rebinding everything above 5 to keys around the movement keys. It's kind of a necessity in games like this. Having keys closer to your WSAD controls means less time spent not moving or attacking as you reach for them.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 23, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Archonex posted:

TL;DR: This game deserves way more attention that it's getting and y'all should pick it up. Seems like no one even knows it's out since the servers are listed at low pop (or maybe they just have really high capacity since there's only 1 mega server for US and 1 for EU? :shrug:) and everyone i've talked too is like "Wait, that actually exists in a released form?".

It’s just a really good game. Really, really good. It needs a translation once-over for polish. I think it carries a large stigma from earlier releases so people wanna write it off, or they’re mistaken about the monetization. But nobody denies that the game is just plain fun.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Somewhat strangely it actively won't let you set mount to Shift Q. The arbitrary keybind limitations are so weird.

[EDIT] It seems like you can't use Shift + something as a bind at all because shift is your defensive button.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah I'm honestly surprised I'm having fun with a MMO of all things.

We should get a goon guild going. Probably something to do with orcs. (Amusingly orcs seem to be the favored species among the playerbase. They're great.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

wait a minute is this related to the Kingdom Under Fire RTS game from 2001? i loving loved that game.