Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tsurupettan posted:

wait a minute is this related to the Kingdom Under Fire RTS game from 2001? i loving loved that game.

Yes, and :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Someone make GOON, or I will

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Yes. Direct sequel, 200 years on from The Crusaders. People were big on the idea back in 2008. Then it showed up everywhere but the Europe/US territories, while they kept saying "It's coming!" For literal years on end. It had its time and passed away, despite even being localised with the translation you see in game now. And now 13 years on it finally shows up.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i actually turned around to my shelf of old as gently caress games and found my cd for the original KUF. drat. my childhood nostalgia is challenging my wallet right now.

e: i saw the elementalist and spellsword and oops i'm weak to pet classes and magic+swords so i spent $30.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 24, 2019

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Alright I've been convinced.

But will wait a month to see if it gets a sale during the winter sale cus I'm a cheap rear end and have too much other poo poo to play atm.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Fair warning though, if you go to an area designated 'field' queue up some music or youtube and turn off your brain. It's the grindiest MMO horseshit that has nothing to do with your armies. The chasm area in particular late game is an absolute slog on unfun grind.

Danith
May 20, 2006
Ya. The field parts are pretty bad. Run to one dude - F, F, F, F, F, run to another dude, more F's, go to blue area kill some stuff and repeat it over and over.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

At least all the field parts are, what, 6 hours total? They know what the fun part of their game is.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

how far in/what level would you say it starts to open up and get out of field hell? even by generic mmo quest standards it's kind of a dreadful entry. i did the first troop tutorial which was neat though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tsurupettan posted:

how far in/what level would you say it starts to open up and get out of field hell? even by generic mmo quest standards it's kind of a dreadful entry. i did the first troop tutorial which was neat though.

You go back to various fields a couple times. I think there are ... 6 times where you have to go back and do a series of quests in a field? It’s hard to say.

But at endgame you don’t do them anymore.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Drakenel posted:

Yeah I'm honestly surprised I'm having fun with a MMO of all things.

We should get a goon guild going. Probably something to do with orcs. (Amusingly orcs seem to be the favored species among the playerbase. They're great.)

I mean, the combat is literally not a MMO once you get into the army based stuff. You've got a combo heavy system of gameplay during real time combat where you alternate between maneuvering troops and fighting in the melee with your character. It's basically the original KUF games but with a bunch of new game play in a massively multiplayer form.

It's just that the first 8 to 10 levels give the impression that it's gonna be a generic korean MMO barring a few teasers of what the game is really like. Once you hit Accolade then it becomes an entirely different game.

Also, i'd be up for making the guild if no one else does it. Deciding on what side we're gonna be on is probably a good idea though. There's a faction system that does...Things. No clue what so far. I joined the anti monarchist revolutionaries but i'm not sure what side everyone else picked. :shrug:

I do have a question though. I lucked out and got a purple Bersian Heavy Cavalry. It requires purple cavalry visionstones to rank it up. I have no loving clue where to get that type of stone since everywhere I can access appears to only offer blue type stones of one type or another. Is this an end game thing I just chanced into getting? Because holy poo poo if so.

Also, if you can get a purple heavy cav it's worth it. The charge ability it has is nuts. We're talking, if I line the cavalry charge right it'll hack off 50% HP to 90% HP of every unit it hits. If the area that the fighting is in has a bunch of enemies clustered together it just straight up wipes them. Which is why I suspect that I just won the RNG lottery when using those free tickets you get when buying the game.

Edit: Also, the game has a 4/5 rating on Steam. Outside of some people trying to review bomb it because it doesn't have a perfect english translation in every area it seems like it'd be a huge hit if it actually got some attention. As it is it's kind of unknown.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 24, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am very excited for the people to stumble onto this game, where I will give them every kindness and support available to me in helping them get started and enjoy themselves with this very good game. I will do all of this before stomping the poo poo out of them in PvP with the ol' Scorpion/Slaughterer combo that seems to be dominating the PvP scene right now.

I don't know what the review bombs were about, but this game rules.

Whoever starts the goon guild I'll put it in the OP front and center, along with any related discord junk. Just let me know!

e:

Archonex posted:

Also, if you can get a purple heavy cav it's worth it. The charge ability it has is nuts. We're talking, if I line the cavalry charge right it'll hack off 50% HP to 90% HP of every unit it hits. If the area that the fighting is in has a bunch of enemies clustered together it just straight up wipes them. Which is why I suspect that I just won the RNG lottery when using those free tickets you get when buying the game.

The blue Hiro Cavalry has the same charge. Other (all? most?) cavalry have a charge ability that makes them hit the first person they contact and then stay there, but the blue Hiro Cavalry lets you just zoom through a seemingly infinite amount of dudes. That huge lvl 16 fight where you save Kreia after doing the red/blue totems or whatever is one of the absolute best levels for doing this cavalry junk. I mean, you literally wipe like 6 full units each time you cast it (30s/30SP).

jokes fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 24, 2019

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Worth noting that guilds require you to select one of the two 'factions' to join with for pvp nonsense. Something like 'protection alliance' which is "Hey, let's just kill off the aliens and put everything back to normal" And the "Revolutionary something something' which is "gently caress DA MONARCHY also kill aliens"

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Drakenel posted:

Worth noting that guilds require you to select one of the two 'factions' to join with for pvp nonsense. Something like 'protection alliance' which is "Hey, let's just kill off the aliens and put everything back to normal" And the "Revolutionary something something' which is "gently caress DA MONARCHY also kill aliens"

Yeah. You can also change you faction for 10,000 civics (free currency) and iirc you get a free switch at lvl 30.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Exmond posted:

Yeah. You can also change you faction for 10,000 civics (free currency) and iirc you get a free switch at lvl 30.

Oh yeah, no. The player can switch back and forth. I think however, if I read the tutorial right, that the guild is locked in though.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Someone posted an 8v8 video. It's pretty dynasty warriors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iAbTjfSPPk

Kylra fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 24, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

jokes posted:

The blue Hiro Cavalry has the same charge. Other (all? most?) cavalry have a charge ability that makes them hit the first person they contact and then stay there, but the blue Hiro Cavalry lets you just zoom through a seemingly infinite amount of dudes. That huge lvl 16 fight where you save Kreia after doing the red/blue totems or whatever is one of the absolute best levels for doing this cavalry junk. I mean, you literally wipe like 6 full units each time you cast it (30s/30SP).

I can confirm that this is not true for the purple tier Bersian Heavy Cav. They will straight up mulch entire armies before they stop.

That first Climax mission with all the orcs? Just, like, 200 enemies about? Yeah. If they engage the friendly soldiers in a line then you can hack off like five to ten minutes in one charge by reducing the wave to nothing.

The only thing that seems to stop them is heavy units like Scorpions. Which makes sense, since Scorpions are basically gigantic murder machines.

Drakenel posted:

For what it's worth, the "gently caress Da Monarchy (also let's literally fend off an extradimensional invasion from the setting equivalent of Hell as a warm up to that)" faction is rad as gently caress so I went with them. The other faction could basically be summed up as "Oh boy, I can't wait until the demons are gone and we can go back to being frog marched into plowing the fields for a bunch of nobles until we die!".

Mentioned it before but regardless of the in game mechanics and lore we should try to figure out which side we all want to be on before forming the guild. That''ll keep things from getting split up too much and save folks a lot of time assuming you need cubics to switch.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 24, 2019

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

1v1 duels are actually pretty fun once you figure out a lot of the technical stuff going on and can do your class's long chains.

The most opaque thing is that after someone starts falling down you need to get a ground attack of some sort in before you can do a ground execution.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So i'm about to make the guild. If anyone has any ideas for a name tell me within the hour. Otherwise i'm just going to go with GOON like someone else suggested.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GOON seems fantastic. Goon Squad is also typical, but you can't have spaces in a guild name annoyingly. LLJK is another one too.

I want GOON though.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Gonna have to repeat this from the other page.

A pvp faction is population locked at 55%. Last I checked the two factions are 45% and 55%.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Yesterday it was about 50/50. Seems like it's varying pretty rapidly. Regardless, I set up a goon guild on the anti-monarchist guys. The guild name is GOON.

Post your name here and i'll see if I can invite you. Not sure if you need to be online to get invited but literally anyone in the guild can invite currently so once we get a few people in it probably won't matter that much.

Edit: Also, there's a guild buff system where you can unlock skills via skill trees. Just from a brief look it looks like some of them might be pretty useful if they apply to player troops. They're percentage additions and multipliers so given how high stats can get that could be fairly huge.

There's everything from damage and defense/other stat buffs to economy related buffs (IE: Enchanting, crafting, auctioneering, etc, etc.), to EXP earned buffs. There's also a guild shop which by default appears to only hold stat buff potions. Though there is a tab to customize the shop so I guess we'll figure that out as we go.

TL;DR: What i'm saying is that it looks like it'd be a good idea to be in a guild.

Also, it appears you can apply to guilds. So just apply to GOON and i'll accept you.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 24, 2019

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

do you guys recommend a particular blue troop from the selection of them you get with the $30 edition?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tsurupettan posted:

do you guys recommend a particular blue troop from the selection of them you get with the $30 edition?

I went with Slaughterers because :orks: and they haven't let me down, but that's kind of a small sample size and with no comparison to the others.

Danith
May 20, 2006

Archonex posted:

Yesterday it was about 50/50. Seems like it's varying pretty rapidly. Regardless, I set up a goon guild on the anti-monarchist guys. The guild name is GOON.

Post your name here and i'll see if I can invite you. Not sure if you need to be online to get invited but literally anyone in the guild can invite currently so once we get a few people in it probably won't matter that much.

Edit: Also, there's a guild buff system where you can unlock skills via skill trees. Just from a brief look it looks like some of them might be pretty useful if they apply to player troops. They're percentage additions and multipliers so given how high stats can get that could be fairly huge.

There's everything from damage and defense/other stat buffs to economy related buffs (IE: Enchanting, crafting, auctioneering, etc, etc.), to EXP earned buffs. There's also a guild shop which by default appears to only hold stat buff potions. Though there is a tab to customize the shop so I guess we'll figure that out as we go.

TL;DR: What i'm saying is that it looks like it'd be a good idea to be in a guild.

Also, it appears you can apply to guilds. So just apply to GOON and i'll accept you.

drat it, I joined the blue protector people when I started playing a couple days ago. To change camps, you need a Camp Change Ticket which costs 10,000 cubits. How do I get a lot of cubits?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Danith posted:

drat it, I joined the blue protector people when I started playing a couple days ago. To change camps, you need a Camp Change Ticket which costs 10,000 cubits. How do I get a lot of cubits?

Keep leveling, your main source is your daily quests which unlock at I think 17, 23 and 30.

I also went Protector a few days ago because a RL friend did and the revolution was pop locked, but somebody was saying you get a one time free camp change at 30?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Sure I'll join. Though question is, is it the character name we have to share or the account name (on steam presumably)

Also my current boyz include purple crusaders for the defense, purple orc arsonists for FLAMERZ and a backup blue archer unit for heals.

Can't wait till I'm putting out the rest. Got an ogre playing catch-up.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Zaodai posted:

I went with Slaughterers because :orks: and they haven't let me down, but that's kind of a small sample size and with no comparison to the others.

google says slaughterers are a pretty meta picka nd i love orkz.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Oh, ok. Just apply in game. Should get an application from a beserker named Ezekeiel (Yes I know its spelled wrong, sue me)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Slaughterers are A tier until you find fire or heavy ranged groups
Sword dancers are also good but not as good

Human are kinda meh

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

lmao i unpackaged the free outfit hoping that it'd cover my elementalist up more but it actually made it worse. at least some of the cheap cubic sets fix that issue if i stick with this class.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The good Troops that are easily accessible relatively are the blue slaughterers and scorpions; you’ll also want some archers at some point to shoot flying things but it’s not an immediate need.

Since it doesn’t look like stats go with rank up it’s best to take a look at skills and see what they get with each rank up, although you do get access to better troop equips.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Drakenel posted:

Oh, ok. Just apply in game. Should get an application from a beserker named Ezekeiel (Yes I know its spelled wrong, sue me)

Yup. No need to wait for an invite. The guild system is pretty fleshed out from what I can see.

Accepted you and every other person that applied by the way.

Tsurupettan posted:

lmao i unpackaged the free outfit hoping that it'd cover my elementalist up more but it actually made it worse. at least some of the cheap cubic sets fix that issue if i stick with this class.

Yeah, just an FYI for people but the first free elementalist set is super skimpy. Elves in KUF have always been more "heavy metal" in terms of aesthetic than realistically armored. Unfortunately it seems like that design aesthetic applies to their teenagers and children too in the case of that outfit which is just :stonk:.

However, you'll get another version of the basic outfit not too far in. It's a green colored variant of the base outfit. Also, from what i've seen that one outfit is the only one that outright has your rear end on display. So it seems like that one outfit is just a really creepy outlier.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 25, 2019

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The icemancers are also very good for line fights, anima wizards are useful for worm/Thunder Valley extreme, and you'll want bowmen and mortars for the Rebel Fortress extreme mission. All of these can be done later though. Slaughterers and scorpions are probably be best units to pick up early.

Rifles and spears are nice to haves.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

yeah i picked slaughterers with my 'pick a blue' item and i got to Accolade and bought scorpions. the game gets MASSIVELY better once you reach Accolade.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
When can scorpions actually be used? Every time I've tried they just get crossed out on the battle lobby.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Theswarms posted:

When can scorpions actually be used? Every time I've tried they just get crossed out on the battle lobby.

Most missions past 17-ish on seem to allow them. If there's a tutorial in the mission or an objective or terrain that doesn't allow for them to work with it they're disabled.

Personally i'm of the opinion that Scorpions are kind of overrated. Once you get some real heavy hitters that AOE attack doesn't look nearly as good given that it comes at the cost of only having one large, slow moving troop on the field that can easily be taken out with the right tactics or equipment.

Also, sorry about DCing Ezekiel. Internet got knocked out for some reason. It's still crappy so I can't get back on.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 25, 2019

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Brother and I applied to Goons, Mugaaz / Finigan.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can’t immediately gquit my pubbie guild then apply for 24 hours ugh. Sucks to suck. My main is protection (ranger) and my alt is revolution (spellsword) so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mugaaz posted:

Brother and I applied to Goons, Mugaaz / Finigan.

You're in!

And yeah, just apply when you're free jokes and I or someone else will get you in. No worries if no one is online that can approve it (Though I think literally anyone can invite at the moment.) since it'll save it in a list of players that need to be approved in a separate tab of the guild UI.

Also, if the people in the guild get a chance they should hit G and check out the various tabs. In particular, if you can view it i'd suggest checking out the guild skill tab and trying to decide which skill we should pick up first. I'm of a mind that the troop damage skills might be best but if someone has a better option I can stat into that instead.

The first skill costs 250,000 contribution points and having only existed for less than half a day we already have almost 40k. So we'll have the ability to pick a skill tier to level up in a day or two if things keep up at this rate.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 25, 2019