Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I can't believe Trump might be taken down because he believed a made up conspiracy theory about a potential political opponent who might not even win the goddamn primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
TIL Ukrainian is a language.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He just drank water. That means he's lying!

He has THREE water bottles in front of him!!!

Republicans have become the aliens from Signs.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Wylie posted:

It's very Russian-like, but definitely distinct from Russian. They both use the Cyrillic alphabet.

The Soviet Union tried very hard to eliminate it during their rule, schools in Ukraine were exclusively held in Russian for a good long time.

The amount of things I don't know surprises me ever day.

Vindman seems like not the typical military shithead.

It's interesting to see relatively normal people who are professionals having to deal with Donald loving Trump as president.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Strange Poon posted:

it's obvious vindman is rattled. he looks really nervous but not in a way that he is being sketchy

It's telling how normal people look when testifying in front of congress as opposed to sociopaths like Jeff Sessions testifying who just lies without any concern while smirking.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Ehud posted:

A stark contrast to the republican counsel, Toby from The Office

he is the highlight of each hearing for me

I think he looks exactly like the lawyer from Always Sunny, except totally broken. In fact SNL should get Brian Unger to play the republican counsel.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

How the hell do people remember all this poo poo? If something exploded at my workplace six months after the fact good luck getting me to remember who was in the room when something happened.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

oxsnard posted:

they take meticulous notes as part of the job and have agendas reviewed constantly

Yeah, I get it, but it's just so above my paygrade it's really impressive. I was on a conference call at work last week and I can name the people in the room with me, but I could not name all the people on the phone. It just points to the professionalism these people have.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Haha, Ukraine offered Vindman the job of the head of the Ministry of Defense!? WTF.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

sim posted:

I think if your career and / or legal freedom depended on it, you'd probably work really hard to memorize all the details.

Yeah, I've clearly found my place in the world. If I kept rising I'd end up on CNN drunk telling all the crimes by accident.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Lower-level folks (which Vindman would be, compared to the ambassadors or whomever) are expected or required to take piles and piles of notes for important meetings. Pre-meeting prep identifying all of the participants/titles is key.

You will address him by his full title of Lt. Col.!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

tek79 posted:

Random thought/question regarding the whistleblower. Does Schiff know who the person is? And is it possible that they've already testified, are currently testifying, or are scheduled to testify, but just their anonymity as being the actual whistleblower has been/will be kept? That is to say, is it possible we've already heard from them or will hear from them but the public isn't aware?

Allegedly he does not know who they are. Realistically I think everyone, including the republicans, have an idea, but just need someone else to say the name first.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Skex posted:

Most of the career people in the government and military take their jobs and their oaths seriously. These are people who could easily make more money in the private sector but choose to serve.

The same goes for people in the intelligence community, for the most part the shady poo poo that goes on is the work of political actors outside the regular channels orchestrated and carried out by "cowboys" who read too many Clancy novels.

I think that too many people don't recognize that this distinction exists. Trump and his cronies don't get this which is why they are in trouble here.

Think about it, if Trump and his cronies hadn't been so insistent in making sure to clarify and get explicit confirmation from Zelenski they could have maintained plausible deniability. But instead he had to get verbal confirmation in front of witnesses in clear terms that the message had been delivered.

If they had let Rudy and his shady sidekicks do all of the dirty work and keep the official communications clean their whole "we were just checking President Zelenski out before releasing the aid" narrative would have been plausible enough to run with. As it is it requires comical levels of wilful ignorance to maintain.

Thank whatever forces exist in the universe that Trump is the stupidest fucker ever to hold elected office with an ego the size of a gas giant because it really takes this level of incompetence to get caught for this kind of thing.

And I'll just add, again, because it's so goddamn stupid, that this entire catastrophe for Trump is happening for getting information that doesn't exist (because it's a conspiracy theory) on a potential political opponent who may not have even ran for president and currently might not even win the democratic primary! It is such a prime Trump gently caress-up. Once again, Trump doing literally nothing would have better results than him trying to do a thing. It's astounding.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Lord Hydronium posted:

Don't forget that he was also doing it for evidence of an entirely separate conspiracy theory about his opponent in an election that he won three years ago.

Yeah, that too. From my understanding he literally believes that Ukraine physically has Hillary's secret email server? That isn't even a conspiracy theory! I don't even know where he got that from.

I've never seen someone so pissed and spending 3 years bitching and crying and calling something rigged over something they WON. It breaks the brain.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

DebtBeat posted:

It's literally a Russian disinformation campaign. Kremlin -> Konstantin Kilimnik -> John Solomon -> Rudy Giuliani and right-wing conspiracy-theory media -> Trump

They originated the false narrative that Ukraine, not Russia, interfered in the 2016 elections, the DNC hack originated from Ukraine, and the servers are physically there.

I know the entire thing is bananas, but how could anyone believe that Hillary Clinton, who had a private server in her basement, that the server was in loving Ukraine!? Why would she even do that!? It is insane.

edit: Oh poo poo. Ratcliffe has papers!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Quid pro quo, extortion, or bribery don't really have a real world difference. Legally, I guess. I'm not a lawyer, but everyone is talking about the same loving thing.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I can't decide how much of the logical fallacies these guys believe. Like, are they just using this as a defense bc they know their chud constituents will hook on, or do they actually thing this is a legitimate defense? 'The words changed!' is some YouTube comment-level debate.

This is literally all they have. I think they're doing the best they can with what they have. Like can you even imagine trying to defend Donald Trump in a congressional impeachment hearing? And also you're kinda stupid. What can you do?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

That's not what he read into the record you loving idiot.

Noted. (sad face)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Did he really just say "you are not a jagoff?"

He meant JAG officer, but it exactly sounded like that. lol

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Impeachment Thread: "You are not a jagoff?"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

This is so misguided by the republicans. So you get Hunter Biden to testify. And then...? At worst it backfires hilariously, at best it gets Joe Biden to drop out. As a leftist I'm fine with both of those things.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

lol, if I was testifying right now while Jim Jordan is babbling I would totally open my mic and say, "Do I need to be here for any of this?"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Maloney: "They're throwing spaghetti at the wall, to see what sticks."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Vindman seems so hardcore straight down the line it's hilarious.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

When there are multiple spontaneous applauses by the crowd during an impeachment hearing you must realize you're the bad guy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Republicans posted:

He's everything beltway dorks love and admire, especially the "It's Lt. Colonel Vindman" bit.

I appreciate and want that from people in his position. I don't want that from the beltway, but I think this is a good thing.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

These impeachment hearings are incredibly important, but talking as someone working in the tv industry these wall to wall hearings are killing us. I see my yearly bonus slipping away more every 15 minutes. Small price to pay, but gently caress Donald Trump.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Spun Dog posted:

Sounds like a problem with capitalism.

Isn't everything?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

"In conclusion, it is my truest and honest belief I do not want to go to jail. Someone please help me."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

VH4Ever posted:

This guy sure doesn't talk like a guy willing to go to jail for Trump.

He is rolling over like a doggy and showing you his belly. This is a man who does not want to go to jail.

It never stops being funny how everyone who has ever come into Donald Trump's orbit always ends up screaming "I'm hosed, I'm hosed! Why did I do this?" in their head.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

ReidRansom posted:

Ahaha

But also he probably got called away to pick up notes on the new defense the WH is frantically fabricating

Gym Jordan has hit the showers.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Also getting some real Kermit the Frog vibes

*Flapping arms* AHHHHHHH OH GEEZ! Sorry for all the crimes guys!

lol. There is a muppet vibe with the guy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I can't believe that guy is still wandering around. I remember reading articles from him in the early 2000s when I was first learning how full of poo poo so many "serious" people were in the media were.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Sondland is in so over his head he might as well be in the core of the Earth.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Ehud posted:

A$AP Rocky is the key to all of this

Sondland is a funnier character than we've had before. But if we get him to work it'll be great.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

CyberPingu posted:

Lol "The president and I usually talk in a lot of 4 letter words"

... "In this case a 3 letter word."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

refleks posted:

He seems a little bit too relaxed about this...

It's a relaxed look of a man who is driving off a cliff and is like "Well, let's see where this goes!"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Right now Sondland is thinking, "Why oh why didn't I spend the extra 500k to get the Ambassadorship to the Bahamas."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

theflyingorc posted:

Ambassador to the EU sounds pretty sweet to me, I bet you get to travel all over Europe

Sure, but Donald Trump is president so you end up on national tv testifying in front of Congress in an impeachment hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Haha, Nunes looked pissed in that cutaway shot.