Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Erwin posted:

I think he has no choice. What else is he going to say?
If it was me and I was trying to defend a guy I wouldn't open every day with a lengthy public recitation of allegations against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

We're gonna need a bigger bus.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

For everyone who hasn't been staying on top of the Impeachment Extended Universe, the Nunes defence here is literally repeating a Russian disinformation campaign.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I'd say Nunes is coming across like a kid who hasn't read the book trying to give a report but most kids think better on their feet.

Holy poo poo they've got nothing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Castor is floundering more than an actual literal flounder.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

A good measure of how little the Republicans have here is how little Nunes' opening rant has changed over the past week. His position doesn't intersect with reality except at its most distant periphery, so it doesn't have to be revised in response to emerging facts or testimony. He just keeps parroting the same Russian disinformation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Holmes looks like clip art of a '50s G-man.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Nunes coming across like he spent the break downing an entire bottle of expired Thorazine.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

To defend my guy, allow me to spend several minutes in a lengthy recitation of the allegations against him.

If Nunes was defending David Cameron, every day he'd bring up loving that pig.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ha, he didn't mention (what Madison records as) Benjamin Franklin's rationale for wanting to include an impeachment clause.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

This dumb motherfucker is attempting to redefine English common law.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The Democrats have been trying to impeach Trump since before he even took office. Also, the impeachment process is flawed because the Democrats haven't spent enough time on it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

So the Republican guy is arguing that Trump has to resign if/when the SC upholds US v. Nixon in the McGahn case?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Motherfucker is concern trolling the impeachment process.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ranking member of House Judiciary here arguing that nobody can really know what the Constitution means.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

You can't impeach without fact witnesses and documents; also, everyone within 500 metres of the President has absolute immunity against Congressional subpoenas.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Turley arguing...almost in so many words...that ignoring Congressional subpoenas isn't obstruction because, who knows, maybe the SC is going to overturn US v. Nixon and you don't know until you try.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Gaetz is apparently under the impression that acting like he just wet his diaper is a power play.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

eke out posted:

that's just bullshit, just like how Rudy was doing a counter mueller report and he's already written 100 pages! except it never came out

none of that stuff ever happens
Their version of the Steele dossier is that manila folder that got released by a FOIA request that's just pages of interview transcripts on Trump Tower stationary, with every instance of the name Biden emphatically circled and lots of exclamation points in the margin.

Holy poo poo it's been years since I've had occasion to say this: gently caress Louis Freeh.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Collins has apparently forgotten, `I would like you to do us a favor, though'.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's small potatoes compared to everything else, but my low-key favourite bullshit Republican tactic is to use a misleading paraphrase of what Schiff said when complaining that Schiff misleadingly paraphrased Trump.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mueller didn't convince anyone, except everyone involved in the Papadopoulos, Manafort, Gates, Flynn, IRA, Pinedo, van der Zwaan, Kilimnik, 12 GRU officer, Cohen, and Stone indictments, guilty pleas, and verdicts.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

There's something sublime about watching Republicans mewling about imagined microscopic parliamentary procedure violations in defence of Donald loving Trump.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

eke out posted:

as a reminder, this hearing goes

30 minutes each for counsel for Judiciary, Barry Berke and Steve Castor

then

60 minutes each for counsel for HPSCI, Adam Goldman and Steve Castor
...periodically interrupted by Collins, Jordan, and Gaetz soiling their nappies in the most public manner they can manage.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

"...want to IMPEACH the..." *turns page, finds place* "...president."
Tlaib said motherfucker and Castor, who looks like the guy who plays Stephen Miller in the straight-to-video sequels, is dwelling on the pause to imply displeasure at her lack of decorum.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The Republicans constantly wasting everyone's time because they're petulantly denying reality is pretty on the nose.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Is anyone listening to this stuff from Castor? I'm not sure how doubling down on conspiracy theories and "well Hunter Biden SHOULD have been investigated!" are supposed to be convincing arguments. Then again this process has basically been Republicans inventing their position whole cloth.
It is worth reiterating that the Republicans aren't in fact creating this narrative out of whole cloth, it is literally the case that it was Russia who created this narrative out of whole cloth, as part of their efforts to undermine US elections. And now Republicans are using this Russian disinformation as their defence of the President.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I assume that the moment the Senate starts up the impeachment trial Durham will start dropping criminal referrals to the DOJ against anyone even tangentially involved in the Mueller investigation, Barr will find every one of them credible, and then we'll have a whole made-for-counterprogramming show trial (or set of show trials) during the formal impeachment process. Like if I was Peter Strzok or James Comey I'd already be planning for it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Oracle posted:

Would it be able to move that fast though?
Which part? Because Durham and Barr have been flitting around kicking up dirt since May. Durham was originally given an administrative review which Barr expanded into a criminal investigation in October. That suggests either that they think they have something or that they want to appear to have something. And yesterday they both volunteered their disapproval of the IG's report, in both cases citing their own investigations as their reason for disbelieving its findings.

So unless you really believe that they're about to blow the lid off this whole deep state conspiracy (or whatever it is they're claiming) then it sure as poo poo looks like it's a politically-motivated hatchet job, and if Durham wants to start producing referrals and Barr wants to start charging based on them there isn't a lot to stop them. I suppose they might have so little that they can't find a grand jury to actually follow up with indictments, but even if they can't possibly win anything at trial doesn't mean that they can't abuse the process to distract from impeachment.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

eke out posted:

what you're asking about doesn't exist, presidential calls are (seriously) not recorded, they're transcribed live by multiple people, who then collectively merge their versions into a rough "transcript" like the one in this case after the fact

there is literally no Actual Transcript
This is speculation, but it certainly isn't beyond the realm of possibility that Russia has one. Not from a lol Trump standpoint, but predicated on the belief that GRU are doing their level best to intercept everything anyone close to power in Ukraine says, and it certainly looks like they're better at this kind of thing than Ukraine are.

Surveillance of diplomatic communications is something that more or less everyone with the capability to do so is doing, or attempting to do, more or less continuously. Like I would be willing to bet that following all this noise about the Trump-Zelensky call there are multiple European intelligence agencies that have made efforts to tap Zelensky's communications (if they weren't already) because they don't trust anything either side is saying. It really can't be overstated how frequently this kind of poo poo goes on between more or less everyone, including allies.

Like I'm not saying it definitely happened or even that it's more likely to have happened than not, but if I was doing a back-of-envelope threat model I'd assume any phone communications I had with anyone in power in Ukraine were being monitored by one or more foreign intelligence agencies. Like, more so than if I was calling, I dunno, the Prince of Liechtenstein or whatever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Man, they really seriously don't have anything. Collins is making the case against impeachment and all he's got is that the Democrats have wanted to impeach for a long time, and Schiff isn't going to testify. That's his opener.

Edit: And he's feigning outrage that the Democrats are being mean to Zelensky.

Double edit: he literally just accused the Democrats of bad taste.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The Republican argument: no obstruction, no obstruction, you're the obstruction

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The argument that the Democrats can't impeach for obstruction because the President has successfully obstructed them from getting more evidence is in serious danger of collapsing in on itself in some sort of chutzpah singularity.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The repeated implication that the consequence of US v Nixon is that the President has to turn poo poo over to a Congressional investigation only if they ask the SC first is low-key one of the most enraging parts of the legal arguments.

Edit: Like the entire point is that it was the ruling of the Court that the Congress has that power inherently. It's literally spelled out in the Constitution. And the Court ruled that it applied even to private conversations in the Oval Office between the President and members of the Cabinet.

SubG fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 12, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

ummel posted:

Are all the members going to get a speech?
Yeah.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Is it still going on?
It's just getting started.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Woah, Gohmert straight up defaming the witnesses.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Woah, Ratcliffe leading by putting his head completely up his rear end and arguing that obstruction and abuse of power aren't impeachable offenses.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Biggs saying that Trump didn't submit evidence because he couldn't because no hearing was scheduled to present the evidence he was withholding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Impeachment Thread: The President is the smoking gun