Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
has anyone said...

...gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

i'm all the ones that got left blank because the only blockchain use cases they could think of were even dumber than chicken, angry pumpkin, and ?snowflake card?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

not much what's botah with you?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

If youtube didn't tell me that it was paid ad content I would've assumed that a bitcoin payment service named "lolli" was a joke.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

xtal posted:

Weird that this thread is so out for blood. Never thought people would defend the war on drugs so much that they would want to rewrite legal procedures to imprison people for longer.
hmm, yes. bitcoin is blood.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

NFTs are just sales receipt fan fiction

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

with proof of work, whoever lights the most coal on fire via the medium of graphics cards wins

with proof of stake, whoever has the most money wins, as god intended
and coincidentally the person who can burn the most coal/graphics cards is also the person with the most money

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

divabot posted:

it's well known that this One Weird Trick fools a Gensler SEC every time

https://twitter.com/ABTestingAlpha/status/1367187586456903685
these non fungible tokens are fungible

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

if you ROT13 all the ticker symbols then you're not trading securities they're just crypto tokens

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

oh i know, license that nike patent so your guns can have babies and make weird hosed up mutant guns like this

didn't know there was a Resonance of Fate sequel in the works

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

wwhy value gone. why value gone
fsck.nfts

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

it depends on the issuing "authority". in most of the ones I've bothereed to look at the token contains a uri, the uri is either hosted by the site selling the nft or on ipfs. the content pointed to by the uri is some attestation about the nft, including a uri for the content. the second uri usually seems to be wherever the first one is.

its worth pointing out that you *could* hash/fingerprint the content and then sign the hash along with the address that "owns" the content and that would accomplish most of what people seem to think nfts are already doing and you wouldn't even need any blockchain horseshit to do it. but then you wouldn't be doing most of what nfts actually are doing, which is ripping people off, which seems to be the actual main design goal.

as it is the companies selling the nfts have a massive vested interest in doing it this way, as makes the value of all the nfts they've issued contingent on their domain registration.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

The more I read about this FEI bullshit, the more convinced I am is that this is all just a blatant attempt to make a quick buck off of some rubes by convincing them to buy the finance equivalent of a perpetual motion machine
so...a cryptocurrency

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

if they want to kill bitcoin all they have to do is require all bitcoin transactions to actually be done on the blockchain

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Boxturret posted:

buy the dip
in some places this is called smokeless crypto

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Because it's a system where the best way to make money to already have money. It's just trying to restart the existing financial system with different people at the top.
note that this is true of "proof of [foo]" systems in general, because there is no value of foo such that the person with the most money can't make themselves the one who controls the most foo if they really care to do so

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

but don't buy the berries dried on the mining rig

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

proof of dingleberries

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

if the hashrate (or whatever) per node is fixed, then that just means that whoever wants to control the network has to collect more nodes instead of making individual nodes faster (buy building a better asic or whatever)

transaction volume as a control mechanism is a nonstarter because miners can decide how many (or how few) transactions to include per block. so if adding more transactions would make them more money, miners could just add a bunch of wash trades between addresses they control to boost the numbers. if lowering the number of transactions makes more money, well we already know what that looks like because a lot of miners have ignored transactions for the fractional increase in hashrate they can squeeze out of it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

and if you borrowed 250k to buy something in feb and sold it for 2M in may then between the original debt and your short term cap gains taxes you'd owe like a million on the two you "earned". less if he holds onto it for a year but lol at hodling doge for a year if you happen to be above water on it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

that dude's twitter led me to this excellent fuckin' idea

https://twitter.com/ZssBecker/status/1393661145400156161

be your own algorithm
"verifies the user with an nft"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Juul-Whip posted:

Hyperloop-rear end ideology

i only write organic free range software that won't interact with hardware or networks owned by corporations

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

animated at 7 fps

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

2.7 fps if anybody is watching

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

gently caress rms

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

njsykora posted:

So gently caress Dan Harmon is what you’re saying.

Also more people deleting their poo poo to try and make their NFTs worth something, forgetting it’s the internet and as soon as they announce they’re deleting it it’ll be downloaded and mirrored all over the place.
https://twitter.com/tanisthelesbiab/status/1394317996244361216?s=21
nfts: what if i sold you a digital signature on a uri pointing to a jpg in the theory that you would then "own" the abstract idea of the jpg?

everyone: that's stupid

nfts: okay...then what if I also deleted the jpg after you "bought" it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

take a pad of postit notes. assert that they're each worth like ten million dollars, so a pad of a hundred of them is worth a billion.

of course nobody will believe that by itself, so you have to prove you have a billion dollars worth of assets. so what you do is give your postits to me. in exchange I give you i have a ream of printer paper. there's 500 sheets in it and each sheet is an iou from me worth two million dollars. now if anyone questions if your postit notes are worth a billion dollars, just point to the billion dollars in assets you have sitting on your desk

tether is exactly the same thing, only without the postit notes or printer paper. also they claim like fifty billion instead of one

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

the original pitch was also "we got hacked, so everyone's getting a 30% haircut across the board to cover the losses"

the idea of giving everyone a number of one dollar ious equal to 30% of their prior balance was the fallback position

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

looked it up, sorry. it was 36%

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

tether was also a fallback position. the original idea was to issue a "bfx token"

basically bitfinex gave everyone a haircut (cash and btc) to cover the "hack", people flipped their poo poo so they came up with the bfx token. people continued to flip their poo poo because who gives a poo poo about an iou from an exchange that's going under. so at that point tether.io enters the game as a supposed outside investor that was going to cover it to stabilise bitfinex

of course it's all the same guys using a different letterhead but that was the official fiction for like a couple years

this was all in the immediate aftermath of all the chinese exchanges being shut down and taking like 99.7% of all exchange volume with them. the #1 or #2 exchange after the chinese shutdown was btc-e, the guys connected to the mtgox hack. bitfinex was like the #3 exchange when they announced they were "hacked"

btc-e eventually got shut down by the feds when a bunch of the staff got arrested. the btc-e guys who didn't get arrested rebranded as WEX, and their plan for maintaining solvency was...give customers a 40% haircut, cover the difference by issuing a "WEX token" pegged to the dollar. they limped along for awhile until someone started funneling everything from the btc-e/wex accounts to a couple accounts on binance in an apparent exit scam

apparently there's evidence that either bitfinex lost control of their wallets long before the "hack" or someone inside was involved, as addresses that were officially bitfinex's are connected to the earlier bitstamp and later tether hacks, same way btc-e was connected to the mtgox, bitfloor, and bitcoinica hacks

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

the value proposition in tether for other exchanges is that it provides a way to move usd around without moving usd around. moving usd around by actually moving usd is inconvenient because there are laws that actually get enforced involving doing it. moving usd around by moving tether around is something that at least for the moment makes things easier for people who don't exactly have a surfeit of options as far as legit banking goes. i think that'll last exactly until a court somewhere looks seriously at the subject and concludes that this isn't just kinda-sorta money laundering it's more or less a textbook example of according-to-hoyle money laundering in its purest form. at which point presumably a bunch of exchanges will fold and a bunch of people will go to jail but its not like that's ever stopped a bitcoin business before

and it sure looks like the original design spec for tether was that it could be used for shell games to hide losses and so maintain the illusion of solvency and prevent a bank run. to what extent it continues to serve this function, and to what extent it is being used to prop up the books of other exchanges is something that i don't think we could say for sure without seeing the internals of the various exchanges

like i'd be willing to bet that most exchanges are actually insolvent, but i don't know to what extent tether shuffling is a specific strategy they're using to deal with it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Chalks posted:

it feels like they've been doing this for so long how that it should have all collapsed ages ago and i just don't understand how it's still going. does anyone know what it'll take to actually make tether collapse?
i think most crypto exchanges are probably underwater on their books and they're just constantly juggling poo poo to keep enough cash and crypto on hand to handle withdrawals.

no exchange ever has ever done btc transaction reconciliation on the blockchain for the simple reason that it would be impossible to--the blockchain is slow and lacks the transaction volume to handle a single moderately busy exchange, much less all of them. tether is just a gimmick that lets them do the same thing with cash. in theory a bitcoin exchange is where people can trade cash for bitcoins and vice versa but in practice they're set up to have as little as possible to do with either cash or bitcoins

so they're all just a spreadsheet (probably implemented via babby's first lamp stack) that nobody can look at and the only way to know if they actually have enough bitcoins or dollars to cover the balance in your account is to attempt a withdrawal. and literally every time we've managed to see the internals of any exchange they haven't

i think tether/bitfinex is asymptotically approaching being the nft equivalent of a brokerage account--you pay a bunch of money and they'll provide you a link where you can see a picture of an account that contains a bunch of cash and btc but no, you can't actually do anything with it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

you might think that if you had a shitload of warehouses full of overheated asics guessing numbers 24/7 and that was burning ~150 TWh a month and then you turned it off you'd be saving 150 TWh. but it turns out that's not true, because if you didn't waste that 150 TWh then all that energy would...something...and uh...it would still be wasted because solar panels...uh...there's excess supply...and so in conclusion bitcoin promotes green energy usage

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

it's like all the exchanges took a math test and this is how you can tell who was peeking at tether's paper to cheat

is circle trading ious with itself to pad its valuation or are they doing something else?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

whats this fud about "stolen" electricity. that was all excess electricity that would have just gone bad sitting around in the outlets if someone didn't use it. its like they don't understand power generation at all

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

gotta admit, back when icos were the hot new crypto scam I figured that was it, that was the simplest, most basic scam you could actually run successfully on the regular. like it's almost the platonic ideal of the scam, just the raw scam itself with no extraneous moving parts

then there's this nft poo poo. it's like, you can't get more basic than that. you offer to sell someone something you don't own...but with no expectation that they'll ever own it either. it's like selling someone the brooklyn bridge while reminding them that they're not actually buying the brooklyn bridge. it's perfect

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

the dead canadian exchange with the dead canadian founder was QuadrigaCX. this happened right before the panamanian "not technically a financial institution" financial institution than handled their real money transactions was targetted by the doj and a bunch of people got arrested/indicted. doj says that crypto capital was/is a front for laundering by/through crypto exchanges

apparently crypto capital was the "financial institution" bitfinex used for the original shell game with tether, when they were still claiming that tether.io was a separate entity that was stepping in to cover bitfinex's shortfall after the "hack" and 30% haircut thing

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

https://twitter.com/BinanceUS/status/1400508135060643840

just some routine unscheduled downtime as we frantically dig through the couch cushions for some more cash undergo system maintenance
the largest cryptocurrency exchange in the world

89.9999% counts as five nines uptime right

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Qwertycoatl posted:

binance getting annoyed at ol musky

https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/1400749677322981378

counterpoint: lol
bitcoin is fully trustless and immune from government interference but please don't make mean tweets about it that makes it break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

burning 150 TWh/yr is totally justified because it secures the network

no not from mean tweets. nothing can secure the network from that