Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The man with the iron perineum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mozi posted:

boners are filled with air, everybody knows this

PSI is stored in the balls.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Erisian Automata posted:

Usually if I ask someone what their favorite radiological accident is, they look at me strangely but it's good to see we're all friends here.

Goiânia is up there for the sheer 'holy poo poo that could happen really easily, anywhere' factor but this is my personal fav https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1

because this 'The No. 7 shield plug from the top of the reactor vessel impaled the third man through his groin and exited his shoulder, pinning him to the ceiling.' is quite possibly the most metal way to die.

The last person to view the bodies had to do it through a 9" thick lead glass window.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Wasn't there a story a few years ago about a model of CT scanner or something that would randomly emit death rays if the operator pressed the wrong sequence of keys? I tried googling it but just get clickbait articles by Scared Parent Weekly with titles like ARE CT SCANS BAD FOR YOUR SPECIAL LITTLE ANGEL???

e: I mean a different story from the one above, I remember seeing adults with burns.

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 4, 2019

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Yes, that's it.

Look at that intuitive UI:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/wurp/status/1202584641640767493?s=19

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yea blaming an unsecured load on a driver regardless of the reason is pretty dumb. That could just have easily been a minivan full o kids and you’d still slam on your breaks the same way.

Rollstock can only be secured with rubber friction pads on the floor.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I am not a truck fuckler in any way shape or form, but checking out: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Drivers_Handbook_Cargo_Securement.pdf

page 68 looks like it was still a completely improper arrangement. From what I can see the rolls should have been in the nose of the trailer anyways or the trailer should have had some sort of void filler to get the load more centered if necessary.

Happy to be told how i'm wrong if so however.

45000+ lbs of rolls can fit in the nose of the trailer (like they did here when the load shifted) as long as you don't mind blowing your tires and snapping a landing leg.

The friction pads are the OSHA/FMCSA-approved securement method for hauling 88"+ rollstock. Each of those rolls are 98" high and contain about 7 miles of paper, they simply have so much mass that the only way to reliably secure them is to use their own weight, regular load restraints and air bags won't do anything to stop them from shifting.

The really terrifying thing is how many owner operators I have seen delivering these that had no idea what was on their trailer.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

Dumb question- why don't they put the rolls on the flat ends so they aren't capable of rolling?

The did, you can see the divot from it hitting the one on the right.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yea I feel this. Would strapping the individual rolls together have helped at all? Surely a few 4" straps around them could have helped a bit?

As for not knowing whats in the trailer, i'm surprised this doesn't have a special placard requirement due to the unique challenges in transporting them.

Keeping the rolls together runs into the issue of having 45000 of fixed mass in the same spot on the frame. The tractors and trailers are already specialized for mill work and are marked as such, but there's only so much mass you can put on a piece of equipment before you run into trouble.

Another problem is that the roads tend to move faster than they did 20 years ago and the new generation of trucks can stop a lot harder, especially the lighter mill-spec units we use. That's one of the reasons we haven't turned up the speed of our trucks like some other carriers have done to combat HOS restrictions.

I mostly work in telematics and compliance, but that doesn't stop drivers from asking about turning up their trucks every time I'm in the field.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Uthor posted:

I'm not a fan of shaming as punishment, but this seems harmless and funny enough to get a pass.

(also, man up and wear the pink, it's fine, it's just a color)

Having to wear those clods over my shoes when I forget my steel toes is enough for me.

The Sterling trucks at the freight terminal I used to run could be keyed with Ford blanks, this made it easy to create a bright pink and glittery Hannah Montana branded office key that I would hand out whenever a driver forgot their truck keys at home.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

chrisgt posted:

Really hope that's a right hand drive country so he just has whiplash and not dead...

Pretty sure nobody was in the truck and everyone knew what was happening since they were filming from cover.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

As someone who works for this company I'm not surprised at all by this phrasing. Management will spend 30 minutes trying to talk you out of reporting an injury before calling a first aid responder. At the same time they will bitch at you for potentially making a plane go out late due to said injury.

My favorite UPS memory was one time when I was running the tower controlling the belts to the primary and secondary sorts I noticed a jam on one of the belts. My leg was broken from falling off of a ladder a few days before so I couldn't climb down and break the jam but luckily an IE (tech support) guy was there with me and he jumped onto the moving belt to break the jam with his foot.

As the jam broke his foot got stuck in the boxes and pulled off his prosthetic leg. I stopped the belt to let him recover his leg and hop back to the ladder- at this time I caught poo poo from my boss for stopping the belt for too long.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Just so it's clear: I don't think it's good that people say "Chinesium" to describe things that are shite.

It's a lot easier to say than "your posts"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I got the 2 things I needed from UPS: Tuition reimbursement and 5+ years of management experience on my resume. I just had to almost die a couple of times to get it. (I'm talking about YOU, exploding box of rimfire bullets!)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I was on the sort aisle one night and got showered in dildos when a box of them broke open on a transfer belt above us.

Working in a UPS hub is an experience.

A lot of crazy poo poo went unreported or got swept under the carpet there.

The worst I heard of was a mason jar of nitroglycerin falling off of a belt in Albany. I heard about it through the grapevine from the business development manager but never saw an official report.

Worst we had at my place were coolers full of live bees and buckets of dead pigs.

We also had a bounty for information on a 70lb Gatling gun that disappeared in the hub.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

The RAF gave their nuclear bomber pilots a lead eye patch so they had one good eye for the return home.

Searching this led me to images of business casual guys in cybersoldier helmets

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Clever girl.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm more amused by the black car trying to parallel park.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It looks like that elephant toothpaste thing that's all the rage with fake scientists on YouTube.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

One of the subtweets keeps insisting "It's not a trailer, it's an implement of husbandry!" like some kind of sovcit crime-avoiding magic words.

https://twitter.com/kinburnsheep/status/1207723014433001472?s=20

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My wife keeps an implement of husbandry in her top drawer but it's not like she flaunts it all around town.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

There is a person in the white pickup. :rip:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

A pickup is stronger than a trailer.

It's not the trailer, it's the freight that gets ya.

The story says that the pickup driver was only injured.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

At least the trucker had his fog lights on.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

8 Ball posted:

Truck was coming up too fast but the story says (and you can see it in the video) an SUV moves in front of the truck which sets the whole thing off

The trucker was not maintaining a safe speed and spacing for those weather conditions.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

big thanks to CSPAM for this

Just noticed closed captions work in English.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

https://i.imgur.com/im51fL4.mp4
A wind turbine went haywire here in Denmark yesterday, and they stopped it by firing rockets with ropes attached at it which then got tangled up in the machinery and slowed it down (full vid in the link)

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/se-videoen-loebsk-vindmoelle-paa-mors-stoppet-med-noedraketter-og-reb#!/

It is very evident, that thou art not versed in the business of adventures. They are giants; and if thou art afraid, get thee aside and pray, while I engage with them in fierce and unequal combat.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Dude, don’t do that. It was a legit question.

It’s obviously an An-225.

That's Armalite-225

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

We were all just coasting and waiting once the Sagebrush signal was lit.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Honestly when I saw the second truck approach from the bottom I half expected it to run over the guy a second time.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

Australian magpie mimics emergency siren during NSW bushfires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHzs-mlDXMY
:parrot:

Reminds me of when I was almost taken out by a bird perfectly mimicking a crosswalk alert sound.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Crosspost from the Russia thread. Sound on:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

CIGNX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TWsCM1ZTpw&t=29s

Fair warning, around 1:00 you'll see a sedan get rear-ended, and two people are ejected out the rear door. There's no death or anything graphic, but it's pretty painful to watch.

Holy poo poo they get launched into that curb FAST.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Those elephant toothpaste viral videos are getting out of hand.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That car's goanna need some work.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Does this count as some truckfuckling? Truck stop shirts are the best.

Give us a trip report on the lot lizards while you're there.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

When living in the favelas but you don't want your structural engineering degree to go to waste.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

and, before you ask? it's a normal tomb. nothing creepy or bad or horror related about it at all. just a nice, safe, normal tomb, without any wandering monsters at all.

edit- yup just tryin to get some quotes for remodeling my summer vacation tomb that's all. no reason to investigate this much at all.

It's not uncommon for excavators to find unmarked graves- you just need to know that if the police/city are called your project will be put on hold for a long time.

Depending on the crew you work with they will usually make it go away before involving the authorities, but be prepared to grease the wheels if you have to- pay in cash if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The reason I know this is that our house marker is a recycled gravestone from the 1930s- when we were building the town inspector saw it and mentioned the amount of graves in the area that he's seen get churned up during construction projects, and the complications of involving certain authorities vs just reburying somewhere else.