Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The way the hatches burst off in a geyser of flame reminded me of the manhole cover launching sewer explosion from Mythbusters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DokeJj0pxPw&t=127s

SelenicMartian posted:

Claire's switched to using dremel directly on the candy on Gourmet Makes.

Goggles: good
Hair not pulled back: bad
Dishtowel: ???

I will give her points for being pretty good with eye protection whenever the dremel comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

It's like the guy in the peach shirt gives him an extra wallop for being dumb.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It reminds me of the video where a guy throws a dead fish onto an electric guitar and it plays the opening riff of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Would you possibly have a link to this?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

what is he shooting at?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I know that sort of thing happens, because my husband's rear window got shot in that way a few years ago on July 4th (I came home right after it happened--the glass was still cracking), but Jesus.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

hypnophant posted:

It's been written - Max Gladstone's Craft series, in which gods, priests, mages, and necromancers are all lawyers and, though it may be redundant to say so at this time, also assholes. Two Serpents Rise, which I read last year and sorta remember, is about a water rights dispute in occupied indigenous territory. OSHA content includes a desalinization facility run from the living heart of a dead god, and a pumping station powered by loving with the slumber of the titular Two Serpents.

There is a lot more OSHA content than that. There's a city powered by holy steamworks that uses a fire god as the heat source in the first book, and then one of the sequels has a temple inside a live volcano (I think? I remember something about lava having the power to transform people).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/scienceshitpost/status/1217561877875580928

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I carry a little blacklight in my purse so I can find uranium glass when I go to the thrift store. My goal is to eventually have a china cabinet with blacklights installed so I can have a whole case of glowing green dishes.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Xaintrailles posted:

When will they learn that mason jars need to come with flared bases.

Thusly?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

haveblue posted:

:same: except it was running eye-first into a tree branch (a tiny one, so I just had to wear a patch for a few days). No contacts or LASIK for me, I'm gonna die wearing glasses

I worked in ophthalmology for nine years and this is incredibly common, especially among landscapers.

A few work comp cases I can recall, spoilered for the squeamish:

--guy who got shot in the head/face during a robbery and needed a bunch of reconstructive surgery
--cleaning person sprayed themself in the eye with some chemical which destroyed their contact lens and they had to get it removed in the office
--two ER workers who were assaulted by the same patient in the same incident and both ended up with traumatic cataracts
--lots of metal debris from welders and pipefitters
--roofer with a nail in his eye
--mechanic was airing up a tire and it burst, breaking his arm and putting several dozen tiny foreign bodies in his eyes

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

sticksy posted:

You think TSA agents are dumb, that somehow doesn't compare to the stupidity of American passengers and what they attempt to bring onboard a commercial airplane.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B7bm-Qnnv55/?igshid=1gbnxxgwfofoa

Pre 9/11, a family friend took a three foot long corn snake tied in a pillowcase on the plane. He put it through the x-ray machine and everything. Didn't have any trouble.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Pacra posted:

I'm not sure what's going on here but it seems OSHA. Anchor chain inspection?

They look like Borrowers.

Edit: probably the dumbest thing I was involved with at work was convincing my coworker to flush his sinuses out (he had a bunch of sawdust in his nose because he'd been sanding without a mask), only we didn't have a neti pot or anything, so we used a watering can and tap water. I had to hold the watering can because the nozzle was so long he couldn't do it himself. Shockingly he had no ill effects from this.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 28, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I wonder if there are artworks from past centuries with the WELP body language.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Z8Tt4NS.mp4
This was on the news yesterday, crazy poo poo.

I was reading the Carnegie Hero Awards website earlier and it's full of things like this, except instead of police officers, it's just regular people risking (and sometimes losing) their lives to save others. It has 1270 entries under "burning vehicle".

This one has a terrifying video that his wife took as he pulled the injured man from the car.

quote:

Danny Lee Tiger, a 46-year-old administrator, formerly from Ada., Okla., saved Nathan P. Nolen, 43, from a burning truck after a head-on collision with another vehicle on a rural highway the night of June 26, in Ada.

At home, Tiger heard the crash and drove to the accident scene. Unable to open the driver’s door, Tiger gripped the top of the damaged door at a gap and bent it downward until he created an opening large enough to extend his arms inside to grasp Nolen’s arms and head. Flames burned against the windshield as Tiger pulled Nolen through the opening. Despite hearing a small explosion at the truck’s front end, Tiger continued to pull Nolen until he was fully free and fell to the pavement outside. Tiger dragged Nolen away from the truck. A medical helicopter flew Nolen to a hospital for treatment of serious leg injuries, but he was not burned

Not really OSHA content (although some did take place at work) but just something I thought was interesting.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Super Soaker Party! posted:

It was even better than when Rexxed posted it two posts earlier.

(Really the takeaway here is that YouTube sucks for causing the demise of the YouTube Title Adder extension)

VV you know what you did

Is THAT what happened to YouTube Link Title? I started using a different extension called YouTube Peek but I don't like it as much and it only works half the time anyway.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

PainterofCrap posted:

My niece works at the Mutter Museam (The Museum of the College of Physicians in Philadelphia) and spent most of the last year organizing their exhibit for the 1918 Flu Pandemic.

There are a lot of parallels.

http://muttermuseum.org/exhibitions/going-viral-behind-the-scenes-at-a-medical-museum/

They're closed for the duration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH2Laha7llI

They published this video with Caitlin Doughty (Ask A Mortician) about the 1918 flu three months ago. Come for the chilling parallels, stay for the OSHA of dealing with way too many bodies at once.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ReelBigLizard posted:

I made my own PPE today. Trying to find solutions for second line medical staff and service workers locally. ER nearly ran out of face shields the other night.

https://twitter.com/boudloForge/status/1242981610913501185

The whole DIY PPE thing is terrifying, and it's only gonna get worse. I used to work at an eye clinic which is currently still seeing urgent and emergent patients, and they haven't been able to get masks. Solution? I've been making them fabric surgical masks (at their request) that they can sterilize and reuse, and the fabric I've been using was originally a sheet I got at the thrift store. I know fabric masks only protect at 50% or less but that's better than 0%. It's like those Arab Spring guys using cooking pots as helmets.

What a world.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

porktree posted:

Goddamn that was a good book. And now I have time to read it again.

Correction: the first two thirds of that book are amazing. I suggest watching Gravity (mostly for the visuals) and Apollo 13 along with it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ZeusCannon posted:

I do not understand how people can be so blasé about power tools. They scare the gently caress outta me

Especially the lathe! The lathe wants to kill you.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Youtube OSHA is the best OSHA.

Improvised blast shield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O551__3ppM

There's a reason his Youtube description says, "Hi, it's me! Dubious quality. Questionable integrity. Unethical delivery. Sometimes the best lessons teach what not to do."

I'm pretty sure when his house burned down in 2017 in the Ventura fire, everyone assumed at first the cause was his homemade laser cutter (RIP).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

d3lness posted:

So talking about RI reminded me of a past job there. In the office area, there were these tiny three foot long mini hallways that lead into each restroom. One of the restrooms on the top floor has a large breaker box sticking out of the wall right next to the entrance. People would routinely put their cups of drink and bottles on top of the breaker box. They eventually put a sign on it telling people to cut the crap. Nobody ever stopped putting their drinks on it. Still hasn't been an accident to this day that I'm aware of somehow.

Sounds like it should be topped with that spiky stuff they put on buildings to keep pigeons away.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Facebook friend saw a plane land on the highway! His picture:

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/plane-lands-on-interstate-470-in-lees-summit

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

You laugh but when the zombie apocalypse comes they'll be the only people sleeping soundly

This would be just the thing in Garth Nix's Old Kingdom books, where the Dead can't cross running water.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Shoulda used an erlenmeyer flask instead.

This is an ELEVEN year old deep cut, holy poo poo. I remember reading that thread as it happened. https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/flaskfucker-fruit-hat/1/

Also, it is very important to wear PPE when dealing with feral kittens, because they can gently caress you up.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Arrhythmia posted:

evidence of the malfeasance inherent in the Manx character.

I have a Manx (mix) cat and she does have an inherently malfeasant character.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The Waterjet Channel guys (a source of OSHA in and of themselves) cut a Harbor Freight anvil in half and part of it was made of bondo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quL14Csmi_Y&t=159s

I don't think they say it's from Harbor Freight in that video but they've referenced it in others

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

This reminds me of the classic failure of the Tay Bridge.

“Beaumont egg” is Victorian Bondo®

That is an impressive wikipedia page. The Tay Bridge disaster must be somebody's special interest.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

KoRMaK posted:

guys, i was just talkin about trying to get through a cat door or something. not go cave diving

Anyway I wonder what those Thai kids are up to these days. I hope they are all doing well.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

didn't this used to be the thread title at some point?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

dr_rat posted:

Man I hope she was wearing proper steel toed socks. :ohdear:

You jest about knit PPE but a few years back I made a hat in safety orange with retroreflective thread for a goon who worked as a lumberjack in Finland (Joint Horse, I think), which is why it has a little tree pattern.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://i.imgur.com/XvdocLm.mp4

Bride in Beirut getting pictures taken in her wedding dress when the shockwave hits (looks like everyone is fine afterwards, just scared as hell)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Ten broken ribs and a punctured lung? No wonder she sounded awful.

Anyway, I have a bunch of pictures of missile testing at the Proving Grounds in Yuma, AZ, in 1976-1977 that this thread would probably like, but they're in my google drive and I don't know the most efficient way to host them somewhere. Can you make an imgur album from google drive and if so, how?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

CannonFodder posted:

In the bad Joplin MO tornado, the one that shifted the hospital from it's foundation, there was a group of people that sheltered in a conveience store walk in beer cooler. They survived but had some cuts and bruises because the tornado still ripped holes in the roof and wall.

Here's a long form article about it.
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a32967/joplin-tornado-stories-1011/

About two weeks after this happened, I called a doctor's office in Joplin because they'd referred a patient to the practice I worked at, but we never got any records. The conversation went something like:

me: Hey can you fax me the last exam?

other woman: No, our office is gone.

me: Like... gone gone?

other woman: Yeah.

I don't remember how they still had a phone line, but I do remember writing something in the chart like "All previous records destroyed in tornado".

edit: I am still trying to upload all my Yuma Proving Ground pictures to imgur but it will only do a few at a time and there are dozens. Here's a teaser though, featuring my grandfather in the white shirt.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 12, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Eventually the fish on either side will evolve into completely separate species.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qejfmcPuX41ttrxmx.mp4

A chorus of children who yell YAY! every time you do something safely but boo and hiss when you do something stupid and dangerous (like having kids right by a construction site?)

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 16, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The White Dragon posted:

so the general message im getting from this thread is, there's an untapped market for crocs with the structural integrity of steel toed boots

Steel toe sandals
are a thing. I worked at a place that sold safety footwear for a while last year, and the Keen rep was talking these up like crazy. Apparently they're big in Europe.

They're also ugly as sin.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Just take the forests around all the power lines.

There's a park in Kansas City that has about 40 acres of virgin prairie (never been plowed or planted) which is maintained by Kansas City Power & Light because electrical lines run over it and they cut down any invasive trees.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

He built a sewing machine table with non locking casters, too. You'd think you'd wanna keep your tools from rolling around on you when doing precision work, I don't get it.

My old sewing machine was very cheap and lightweight and slid around on the table a lot. I got a nicer, heavier one a couple months ago that stays put much better and it's made a huge difference. Having the table itself slide away from me would drive me absolutely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Artistry: 10/10

Scaffold: 5/10?