Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Don’t anchorage him, someone is sure to get keel-ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

azurite posted:

Not sure what's going on here. Heroin?

As a lifetime insomnia haver and general poor sleeper I have 100% had days where I felt like that because of too little sleep.

Gotta get up from the desk and walk around and get a coffee - but if you have to stand in one spot then lol ur hosed.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Steel is dense too, sure you’d burn but i would think you float while you burn

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

shame on an IGA posted:

Jesus christ that had to be the worst case of the monday shakes in medical history

He *remembers climbing out of the vat of zinc and his throat feeling dry*

drat

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Well this is going to be nightmares for a month, easy.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DreadUnknown posted:

One of the airport warhouse safety training videos I had to watch concerned somone who got crushed to death in one of those things, thats nuts.

Always lock out / tag out, folks.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

monolithburger posted:

Child trolley disinfecting machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR5Ptfyi9tQ

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Now that's a pro

Watching this and getting poop my pants excited like the kid in the pink sweatshirt

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That is only a parking brake. There is no such thing as an "emergency brake" because that's what the brake pedal is for.

A parking brake only locks 1-2 wheels, doesn't connect to ABS, and your owner's manual will go over this in great detail.

Emergency brake is an extremely extremely common term for parking brake. They’re the same thing. You are wrong.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Splode posted:

In a desperate attempt to segue away from bike chat, vehicle horns and alerts are actually interesting osha stuff. I'm finally noticing construction sites with vehicles with white noise buzzers for reversing. My understanding is that's been mandatory in the UK for ages but it's apparently only just coming now to Australia, and I'm not even sure it's mandatory. It definitely does help determine direction though, pretty cool

Yeah, in T*xas here we have to do most concrete pours that happen during the summer overnight or it is just too hot. I am in an urban area so multi-floor construction projects that line up trucks around the block are pretty common, the public library right across the street from my apartment had a pour going on for weeks because the slab at the bottom of the the underground is parking level was 10,000 cubic yards (that’s about 1000 fully loaded concrete trucks). At least two of those trucks are backing up at any time and you end up with a lot of loud beeping for the neighbors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Lsr8KK1DI

And the final building (from about 3:25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIfIWG6TK5A

Most of the downtown projects and night projects recently have been using the white noise buzzers recently and it really helps.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 24, 2021

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NoWake posted:

It's because they don't hear you until they hear you. They go from 0-100, from "It's a beautiful day and I'm relaxed" to "WOW, there's a BIKE going FAST, getouttatheway!" in the span of a split second. Imagine being asleep in bed, and someone wakes you up with a command instead of a nudge.

I use my bell a few times well, well back from people I'm approaching. It'll go through the air better than my voice, and it's not a command. This gives them enough time to swivel their head around and realize someone else is coming up the trail behind them, and time to think & react appropriately.

If I'm going too fast for them to react appropriately, that's on me. If the trail is too crowded for me to shift left and pass them safely, that's my problem, not theirs.

You can also put one of those child bike noisemakers on if you commute on shared ped/bike paths a lot. It can be adjusted to not be super noisy but you still make a bit of a slappy buzzy noise and don’t need to ring the bell except for especially oblivious people.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Hey we have one of those.

Merge into this 60mph traffic across the bike lane:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DrPossum posted:

Those belts are hungry for that man's sweater sleeves

Yeh pros know to use a screwdriver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I think I'm most concerned about the idea of funnelling bicyclists onto a major thoroughfare where vehicles are going at 60mph. :psyduck:

It’s a road that has a super wide shoulder on 99.9% of the length so road cyclists wanting to do a 60mile ride love it. But that one section has that merge lane coming in and immediately merging back out and basically no shoulder.

It will get a major improvement with better bike lanes in a couple years but this is the fix they picked to at least give the bikes an “official” place to be. They used to just use the whole merging lane but there is also a blind corner right behind the camera in that photo.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Cthulu Carl posted:

I went back to his book to check, and Josh Gates does not rail against jeans as I misremembered - He just notes that they are a very bad idea for the Malaysian jungles.

Now shorts, Crocs, khaki vests, and travel wallets, however...

“men almost never wear shorts in their own country” 😂

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You might as well wear leggings at that point.

•ahem•

Jeggings

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

A friend of mine got fired from a summer job as a pool boy because the housekeeper reported he was filling the pool unevenly.

Apparently they expected him to move the hose around the pool “to make it fill evenly”.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

haveblue posted:

Sometimes your corpse becomes a landmark in other people’s directions

Saw this guy in the ATM cave in Belize. You have to swim in and climb to him.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bad Munki posted:

How’s he doing?

His calcified bones have been telling people not to go into caves for the last 1,100 years (he died as a 17 year old Mayan by having two vertebrae shattered, possibly a human sacrifice or some other ritual that killed him as there are lots of skeletons in that cave that died similarly violent deaths)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
ATM Cave in this case stands for Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave and if you’re ever in belize it’s a crazy way to spend a day they just let tourists in to walk around with the mayan pottery and skeletons. Most of them have crushed skulls tho so that one is the most photogenic.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So I read this thing that said even though trucks have gotten bigger their towing capacity and such has pretty much remained the same. Is this true? I figure this thread would know

Gas mileage, especially for diesels, has gotten a lot better in the last 20 years so inefficiency isn’t standing still (they’re still way behind cars).

I think towing capacity has a lot to do with weight distribution and there is a certain point where you have to move to weird hitch mechanisms or more wheels to get more trailer.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

frumpykvetchbot posted:

They had crossed late and got caught behind the gates on the far side of the bridge. If you were in that situation, at least up until the bridge actually starts going up and lifting our car in the air, would you smash through the gates with probably hundreds or thousands of dollars of damages, or would you sit tight and assume that the bridge attendant would notice and open the gates or something to let you out?

No, they crossed well before the gate behind them closed. You can see it close when they stop. They were probably stopped by a barrier on the other side of the bridge closing too (out of frame). The bridge operator just trapped them on the bridge and opened it, and got fired for it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Wingnut Ninja posted:

From a few months ago, I had a room where the Shower Planning Team and the Shower Curtain Planning Team weren't quite in sync:

Did the room have a doorbell too and wheelchair height peephole in the front door? Weird showers and doorbells are the main giveaways you got the ADA accessible room, usually because the hotel is full up because they gotta save it in case someone actually requires it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ChesterJT posted:

Parkour!

Not exactly OSHA (panel is not connected anymore), but cool as poo poo:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7077969940262784298

When they replaced the transmitter hut for a local AM station my dad hung on to the big knife switch they used to power the whole thing up and it was pretty similar. Like just big slabs of copper, enough to power up a 5,000 watt AM station. AM uses multi-tower directional arrays so this one has four towers.

It’s on a low voltage relay to control the light switch in an office now, which is a good use of a big vintage knife switch imo.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

There is a guy around here who rides a heavy duty version of that electric unicycle thing, and he wears basically full motorcycle body armor and looks like a cyberpunk stormtrooper and honestly I think that's pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6-xmDSPJo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Goon Boots posted:

*to the tune of wipe out*

HAHAHAA WHIIITE OUUUT

serious question tho, how do insurance companies handle big fuckups like this

just take it as a loss since determining who's at fault is moot?

Crashmaster Anthony gets all the insurance companies and trucking companies together for a HUGE PARTY.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

BasicLich posted:

Hobart products are industrial in nature, you probably wouldn't find this outside of a coffee ground supplier for diners etc

e: They're still in business, your grocery store probably has a bunch of Hobart stuff. Those meat scales they use are probably Hobart

Nearby donut shop has a floor standing mixer, tall as a man.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Mammalian diving reflexes are very weird.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

When you accidentally empty the whole little salt packet on one french fry.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If it weren't about to be immediately banned you know some cars would show up with this next year.
Pshhh I F1 they’d already be stealing other teams side-of-car sideways wheel blueprints.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

repiv posted:

has anyone tried doing little loops around the starting line to see if that counts as a lap

It’s clearly a reality simulation glitch situation so I propose doing a very long lap and hoping a buffer overflow wraps time around to zero and you win the race.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

Yep! It's the acid that isn't really dangerous because of its acidity (which is moderate), but because of its extreme toxicity. It will turn your bones to jello and stop your heart.

Working in semiconductor fabs this was always a nightmare chemical.

They use it for so much stuff. At the (built in the 1980s, I worked there in 2000-2001) AMD fab 14/15, I used to see wet etch dudes carrying around unmarked containers of clear liquid all the time, you don’t know if it is water or HF. This was pre-automation.

You want to do a wet etch? Load the wafers into the acid proof cassette, dip it by hand and tongs into an acid bath, and watch a timer.

See a water spill on the ground? Don’t touch it, put a cone on it and find someone who can test it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Lone Badger posted:

what the gently caress
why

Do you have any fixtures with exposed bulbs? Led bulbs look like rear end.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

forget dump truck, slurp truck is my new favorite

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

things fitting perfectly into other things

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Ror posted:

Acoustic dispersion. In certain mediums the frequencies of a soundwave sort of seperate based on their wavelength and the high frequencies travel significantly faster than the low ones. So you hear the high sounds first throughout the medium and then the low fills in. It's the exact same phenomenon in the metal cables used to make the laser sounds.

yeah reverb coils make that same kinda sound if you accidentally tip over your guitar amp while it’s on you get a star wars laser sound.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Garrand posted:

The one story I periodically think about was that woman who was part of a protest at a national park where they had banned base jumping. The protest involved base jumping and expecting to get arrested. But since she didn't want her expensive parachute confiscated, she borrowed one with a cord positioned different than her normal one and proceeded to fall to her death with the parachute unopened.

well?? did that convince them to allow base jumping or not???

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cat driver on the right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SyNack Sassimov posted:

:confused: ...yes? Why would you want to protect invasive species?

edit: e.g., are you aware of the lionfish murder spree on the East Coast or the purple sea urchins destroying kelp on the West Coast? Neither of these species should be protected and in fact there are regular killing sprees for both, which is good because they're destroying a shitload of native species that have no defense, and we should be doing our best to stop that since, y'know, we caused it.

yeah it’s open season on lionfish in the caribbean, basically the only thing you can spear fish legally with a scuba gear.

here’s my lionfish murder video (one of many)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB-DL2dy7io

they’re also delicious.one dive and you can get like dozens of them.