Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

insta posted:

It's particularly bad because of the "perfect storm" that is a microwave transformer.

You hear "its the volts that jolts, the mills that kills". 100 milliamps across the heart is enough to kill you. But, you can touch car batteries (600,000 milliamps) without issue because the voltage is low enough that your skin's resistance won't allow enough current to flow. You can survive thousands of volts from static shock, TASERs (generally...), electric flyswatters, etc because they can't source the 100 milliamps necessary, although they have a sufficiently high voltage to do it.

A microwave transformer runs at about 2,500 volts. They can source up to 1000 milliamps. They have no safeties on them whatsoever. I am legitimately amazed he did not die.

Film industry regularly has folks running 220V 100A cables through water, bad weather etc don't be a pussy.

How else do you power a 18,000W HMI lamp up on a cherry picker during a rain scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cartoon Man posted:

In Russia, red light stops you.

https://i.imgur.com/e3rqhSu.gifv

reminds me of when Kaohsiung blew up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAmu60ZtbNk

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If you go visit about 20% of the world population you're going to be eating off plates like that come dinner time, water and sanitation are still a huge issue for humanity. 2 billion people don't have a toilet or latrine, including a million or so in the USA. 500,000 people poo poo themselves to death each year.

If there's no running water you either let food rot on the plate or wash it off with the water you have, I guess. These numbers are from the W.H.O.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

evil_bunnY posted:

As others pointed out to you the chinese govt let it run rampant for a good long while before clamping down hard.

Lockdown started late january, about as soon as the national government realized the situation, 12 days after the first death and about 2 weeks since it was noted to be a novel virus. idk how you describe that as "let it run rampant for a good long while". They shut down the country during the biggest holiday in the world.

China absolutely set a good standard for how to deal with pandemics, bested by Taiwan and South Korea who had more time advantage and a foreign source, rather than internal. The west is not trying to replicate any of those successes despite having the foresight china lacked and Italy and Spain are showing you the results.

sorry for your racist brain tho

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You're an apologist for concentration camps and genocide.

You have no standing to be trying to call out anyone for racism you piece of poo poo.

? I've posted in like every china thread against the policy in xinjiang, or is there something else?

Is it cause I said I want a return to FDR's politics in the bernie thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

those are facts though, I wanted to understand what's happening and share sentiments I heard from friends who actually lived or grew up in Xinjiang. How can you think my saying that .5% of chinese people live there but they make up 22% of the prison population as anything but condemnation?

I still think it was a de facto racist policy and ethnic cleansing but I felt the framing in western media was inaccurate.

Are you from Xinjiang?

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 17, 2020