Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

it's not that naming viruses after places is racist, just that republicans figured out a way to be racist while doing it. they're fairly innovative, really the thought leaders in the field tbh.

Muerto Canyon hantavirus ruined it for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

When N+1th Doctor started preschool and began bringing home the yuck every two weeks, I found out that our Pharmacist was married to her teacher. I was in awe of how neither of them were dead.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

FuturePastNow posted:

I suspect an American hospital that did that would be immediately sued by every lawyer in its state

Is this some bad lawyer joke or a complaint about too many gat dang guberment regulations

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Nth Doctor posted:

You just right click the factory, and change the recipe! You may need to lay different yellow belts of raw materials, but if you have iron and copper nearby you're golden!

I just want to say that I really appreciate this post, especially after spending like 10 minutes to find a good seed to get There is No Spoon.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Salt Fish posted:

Is this some bad lawyer joke or a complaint about too many gat dang guberment regulations

No, this is usually how this stuff goes down. And if a patient dies while your medical device is sustaining their life you may also be dragged into court. Sometimes the engineers who developed the device are named in lawsuits.

Even if the lawyers didn't do this the FDA would roll in and stop them from producing the valves without pre-market approval.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Salt Fish posted:

If somebody died of respiratory failure in an ICU and it came to light that the ventilator was in fact manufactured by a combine harvester company, you'd need to hire a team of bodyguards to keep the lawyers away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/anbara_salam/status/1239489588353216512

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shut up Meg posted:

If somebody died of respiratory failure in an ICU and it came to light that the ventilator was in fact manufactured by a combine harvester company, you'd need to hire a team of bodyguards to keep the lawyers away.

Not when 10 million people die in ICUs in 3 months.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

TVs Ian posted:

my grandmother had to have hers cauterized and she made it sound so horrible that I never did.

I had to have my nose cauterized, let me see now, at least 3 times before it finally took*. Both caustic and searing on different occasions.

It was fine. You get a local so you don't feel a thing, and then it's just a bit sore for a day or two.

Totally worth it to stop having nosebleeds all the goddamn time.

* Worked for about a year the first time, longer the later times.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

grillster posted:

I don't think coronavirus knows political leaning.
Yeah but it kills boomers and boomers were all-loving-in for brexit

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It also assumes we can get a herd immunity that would last. It's entirely possible it'll mutate like flu and without a vaccine you'd have to go through it all again. Abject insanity.
Oh yeah there's already been cases of reinfection and I haven' seen any reliable numbers on immunity so it's 100% a gamble. They're hecking mad.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I guess they should have just given up and let the patients die, that should keep the lawyers happy

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Shut up Meg posted:

If we're in a national emergency and the combine harvester company was ordered by the government to make those ventilators, then government will have the liability and the resources to deal with those lawsuits if they're even allowed

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

OctaMurk posted:

If we're in a national emergency and the combine harvester company was ordered by the government to make those ventilators, then government will have the liability and the resources to deal with those lawsuits if they're even allowed

Trump went on TV and said "I don't know about that, we have people in the administration who, I don't know, I haven't heard of that, I just work here" in response to a question about the pandemic team being shut down in 2018. He's not going to let the government take responsibility for anything.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Trump went on TV and said "I don't know about that, we have people in the administration who, I don't know, I haven't heard of that, I just work here" in response to a question about the pandemic team being shut down in 2018. He's not going to let the government take responsibility for anything.
The pandemic team wasn't shut down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/16/no-white-house-didnt-dissolve-its-pandemic-response-office/

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

For those who don't subscribe to the Post: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The pandemic team wasn't shut down. It was just streamlining in which all the experts on pandemics were eliminated because there were no pandemics going on, and we rolled their jobs into the Directorate of Counter proliferation and Biodefense. Because as you know, terrorists with nukes and infectious diseases are the same type of problem and can be dealt with the same way.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is the same bullshit doublespeak when a company brings in a consultant who assured everyone he isn’t looking to make layoffs. Instead he will be looking for efficiencies and will right-size the company in order to meet the evolving conditions in the market. Then half the workers are laid off. Expenses for the next quarter are down and he collects a big bonus before moving on to the next victims, I mean new exciting opportunities.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Deptfordx posted:

I had to have my nose cauterized, let me see now, at least 3 times before it finally took*. Both caustic and searing on different occasions.

It was fine. You get a local so you don't feel a thing, and then it's just a bit sore for a day or two.

Totally worth it to stop having nosebleeds all the goddamn time.

* Worked for about a year the first time, longer the later times.

Anesthetic? gently caress.

I was in grade 6 or so. I got the acid one. It hurt like gently caress.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Dillbag posted:

There will be no more oversight. poo poo's been happening since cameras started rolling in BC and nothing ever happens.

Joi Harris was a professional motocross racer who was hired to double Domino on Deadpool 2. Although she was an accomplished racer, this was the first time doing stunts on a film. She had successfully completed the stunt in question five times, when on the the sixth take she overshot a platform, struck a curb, and was thrown helmetless through a plate glass window. During the investigation, the production claimed that it was "not possible" to CGI Zazie Beetz's face overtop a helmet, even though Fincher had done it with Rooney Mara in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo almost 10 years earlier. The studio received a Worker's Compensation fine, settled out of court with Harris' family, and the movie made a poo poo ton of money.

Late least year, Ron Perlman was driving a truck while shooting some non-union indie shitter in the Okanagan when he had a geezer moment and drove through video village (the area where the director and key crew members can watch what the cameras are capturing), running over a number of propane canisters that were being used to heat the tents, and causing a minor foot injury to one crew member. The producers reportedly attempted to continue shooting for the rest of the day, causing a number of crew members to quit. TMZ has footage of the aftermath.

In 2016, Maze Runner star Dylan O’Brien was almost killed during a "vehicle transfer" stunt when he fell from one vehicle and was struck by the other. He suffered serious physical injuries, including a traumatic brain injury. The production was halted and it took O'Brien almost a year to recover.

In 2014, on the set of Falling Skies, a parked but un-chocked production truck rolled backwards down a hill, pinning a Teamster security guard against a tree and killing him. The tailgate had been lowered to load equipment, and was reportedly a factor in his death. I actually heard someone say that "he was cut in half by the tailgate, but being stuck in that position kept him alive, so they brought his wife and family to say goodbye before they moved the truck, which they knew would kill him, which reminded me of how stupid people fall for urban legends, and also that the M. Knight Shyamalan movie Signs was loving awful except for that one scene where Joaquin Phoenix is watching TV.

In 1998, Vancouver stuntman Marc Akerstream was killed when he was struck in the head by a piece of flying debris while watching the explosion of an empty rowboat on TV series The Crow: Stairway to Heaven. You may remember him as the gang member Jackie Chan fights with a pinball machine in Rumble in the Bronx. Akerstream was not involved in the stunt, but was watching the explosion from the shore when debris ricocheted off a tree behind and struck him in the head.

In 1997, local stuntman Keith Perepelkin was killed in Squamish, British Columbia during filming of blockbuster Howie Long masterpiece Firestorm. Perepelkin was dropped from a helicopter attached to a 50-lb dummy, but his chute failed or did not open. He had never completed a low-altitude jump before, was wearing a high-altitude pack with no reserve, and the helicopter he jumped from was reportedly only half as high as it was supposed to be per the stunt permit. A number of non-local members of the crew fled the country after the failed stunt. I don't believe anyone ever faced trial, even though the stunt coordinator, Glenn Wilder, and executive producer, Louise Rosner, were charged with criminal Workers Compensation violations. The production was eventually fined a grand total of $60,000, which was probably more than that piece of poo poo made after publicity costs.

This is just Vancouver and the surrounding area. Google 'Sarah Jones Midnight Rider' if this post didn't make you angry enough.

Look up the movie Roar sometime if you want another, horrible example of behind the scenes fuckery.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/CR8s9O7.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

There's a procedure for that in Mazda workshop manuals, you're supposed to tie the top and bottom wheels together with wire or a ratchet strap.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mostlygray posted:

Some people don't realize it when they've used the excuse so many times that everyone knows they're lying. Just like coke heads who claim they have "allergies" and that's why they're sniffing all the time.

I had some coworkers that thought this and wanted me to share the wealth, they stopped when one morning I didn't bother going to the bathroom and horked neon snot in a trash can for a couple minutes and walked it off like a cat after blowing out a hairball.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
There's a good video of Tony Hawk "looping the waterslide in Palm Springs" and landing rather heavily on something other than his feet:

https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1211406710839095297

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kimihia posted:

There's a good video of Tony Hawk "looping the waterslide in Palm Springs" and landing rather heavily on something other than his feet:

And that's why you wear a helmet!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the music immediately coming to a halt is a nice touch

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You're an apologist for concentration camps and genocide.

You have no standing to be trying to call out anyone for racism you piece of poo poo.

? I've posted in like every china thread against the policy in xinjiang, or is there something else?

Is it cause I said I want a return to FDR's politics in the bernie thread?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

kimihia posted:

Tony Hawk is a goddamn national treasure:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Tony Hawk is a goddamn national treasure:

A more recent one:
https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/1226893511129100288

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Imposter Syndrome by Proxy

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
If I had money I'd pay tony hawk to show up to my birthday party and just act neutral and see if anyone notices he's there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FuturePastNow posted:

I suspect an American hospital that did that would be immediately sued by every lawyer in its state

Shut up Meg posted:

Good luck empanelling a jury, fuckwads.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/qD9vNmx.gifv

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Oh hey, you know that UK government herd immunity idea? You know how over the weekend it was looking like they had started to panic?

Turns out the model they based their response on, over the advice of the WHO, wasn't even modelling Corona. It was modelling pneumonia. The panic was them realising that their projected deaths was at least 50% too low. Because of their abject incompetence we're now looking at a quarter million dead, if we're lucky.

Still not forcing closure of schools, business and gatherings though.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 17, 2020

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

i'm the beer bottle

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Oh hey, you know that UK government herd immunity idea? You know how over the weekend it was looking like they had started to panic?

Turns out the model they based their response on, over the advice of the WHO, wasn't even modelling Corona. It was modelling pneumonia. The panic was them realising that their projected deaths was at least 50% too low. Because of their abject incompetence we're now looking at a quarter million dead, if we're lucky.

Still not forcing closure of schools, business and gatherings though.

When the stiff upper lip is rigor mortis.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Modest Mao posted:

? I've posted in like every china thread against the policy in xinjiang, or is there something else?

Is it cause I said I want a return to FDR's politics in the bernie thread?

Modest Mao posted:

I think China's project is basically to show that state power is absolute and to 'reeducate' the local populace, and to the end of stopping violent attacks I believe the evidence shows it works which is why the CCP is saying "what's the problem?"

One thing that I think is less talked about is that Xinjiang is now about 50/50 Uighur ethnic, around 11mil people, and Han see them as minority. Xinjiang is 'autonomous' and the government does have uighur members.

Also from this population of 11 million, the imprisoned officially make up 22% of prisoners in a country of 1,386 million.

The government has, since the foundation of the CCP, nominally tried to protect minority groups, excluding them from the one child policy (now two child policy) and giving them favor for getting into good schools, etc. A lot of Han will see these camps as a trade off for those favorable policies, "okay now your people have to learn the official language and support our government, after they supported you." I see that a lot in comments on chinese sites about this topic.

I think these facts help me understand the narrative better

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

kimihia posted:

Must be pretty lame that the other kids get to look cool in their street clothes, but your dad also skateboards and makes you wear a helmet and pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Platystemon posted:

Good luck empanelling a jury, fuckwads.

LOL. No problem. "This Elon Musk wannabe didn't even think the that the PLA they were using in these valves would outgas nitrous oxide and interfere with the infected lungs enough to tip this poor, beloved grandparent over the edge into death." And it might even be true.

But, hey, maybe this innovator would do a google search to find out their stock is totally unsuitable for medical purposes first. In a time that people are hording toilet paper while saying no effort is too small to stop this plague.