Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

someone post all the shirt images people made. also the thread gang tag please

What, like the I Love Science one, or were there others? Because if there are others I need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Let’s do some algebra here.

kaboom − fire = fuel

AKA charcoal manufacturing. Math checks out.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

This gives me the same fear that whale sharks do

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I work in the second largest burn center in the US. Our skin bank is, in total, less than 1/40th that. It's a very short-term storage item.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 11, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought you had to graft peoples own skin onto themselves. Is it possible to transplant it from other people?

Extensive burns are a LONG, long healing process. You generally start with pig skin (xenograft) as a cover to give the wound bed time to heal and granulate, though the pig skin will all need to be surgically removed. Then you move to cadaver or donated skin (allograft), which (again) can't integrate but is way better than pig skin when it comes to the "not rotting every four days" department. Then you move to an autograft, your own skin, which most burn patients say is many times more painful than the burn itself because harvesting the autograft involves cutting the skin off at that magic point where it's 1: vascular (deep enough to have blood vessels) but 2: not all the way through the thickest nerve layer. So they're cutting right at the actual most possibly painful point to avoid the most damage.

Some burns take long enough to heal, burn coverage is extensive enough, and even autografts can fail to "take," that we end up harvesting the same area every 2 or 3 weeks a few times over because it's the only good area (and skin grows pretty darn fast).

Cheers!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

slinkimalinki posted:

With people who have burns to 95 percent of their bodies, is there enough skin to harvest? Do they just go back to the same area 20 times?

In many cases, skin isn't required to heal the burn, it's just required to heal it quickly and not make it look awful. Plus, you can allograft many times if you have the cadaver skin to do it while the good areas spread and heal. Also, a 4x8 inch patch of skin graft is meshed using what I've heard affectionately called the "pasta cutter from Hell (not NWS link but be careful)", to spread over an area 4-5x as large.

If the skin isn't meshed and instead used straight-up, it's called a "sheet graft" and is generally only done for the face, hands, and genitals, as un-meshed skin effectively only covers 1/5th the area it would otherwise. I've seen cheek skin get used to rebuild eyelids.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 11, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wrap the rag around the bottle. Don't shove it in the neck. Rookie mistake.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
There was also another slide valve video from like 2015-2016. It's how I even knew what a hydrocarbon cracker was :eng101:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My wife keeps an implement of husbandry in her top drawer but it's not like she flaunts it all around town.

Ok boomer

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BurgerVonStadt/status/1165277157272297472

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Reported

for being too cool

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason those look like Japan -> NZ exports to me (NZ has a long history of importing used Japanese vehicles due to the combination of "not having local auto manufacturing in NZ" and "Japan being super harsh on used vehicle resale and registration")

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

Should’ve tossed those batteries in the ocean (totally legal) and they wouldn’t have had this problem.

It's a safe and legal thrill!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

I love the demon core, the history, etc. Wish there were stickers or something of demon core-kun.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I mean of demon core-kun from those videos, whoops (the image is a link to the shirts/stickers I made of the "I love science" ones).

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Good

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

UCS Hellmaker posted:

awe he just wants you to wake up to your alarm

And in case you forgot, here's what it sounds like: BWAR BWAR BWAR BWAR

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Read the first sentence, skipped to the last, went 'yep sounds pretty typical' and almost clicked away :allears:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Average WHAT construction team? Roadwork? Pole installers? Bagger 488 operation team?

This is a "the wheels of the plane turn at the same speed as the treadmill" undefined question problem. Not enough info.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

excavation team. lookin for a bunch of burly worker types to dig out then shore up my back walls.

Like Tomb Raider excavation team or "blow up the mountain it's 1959 and we're building highways" excavation team?

Basically what's your budget

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why try to bang the receptionist when you can bang the entirety of the reception desk?

Mahogany!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

AAAAAAA

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I love the firetruck that was probably headed back to station immediately following procedure and blocking the road, getting ready to set up barricades.

It's like when we were in the ambulance and witnessed a car crash. "Welp, we're here." [picks up radio] "Medic 425 on scene."

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Some municipalities have what's sometimes referred to as "fire-based EMS." As in, every firefighter is at least an EMT, you won't make captain unless you're also a paramedic, and there's at least one paramedic on each engine. In places like AZ, when you call 911 it's the fire department's dispatch, and if it's a police matter they forward it to the cops but if it's a fire or medical they take care of it themselves.

Phoenix fire, for example, operates ambulances that say "Phoenix Fire" on them, and new boots usually have to spend X number of shifts on an ambo before moving up permanently to an engine. Outlying cities often don't have their own EMS services, so they contract with private EMS companies like AMR (who recently purchased Rural/Metro) who operate their own ambulances but have to carry and be trained on Phoenix Fire radios and operations. The AMR dispatchers have a Phoenix Fire (or Mesa or other city if the city runs their own, but TBH Phoenix takes care of like half the drat state) dispatch computer alongside the AMR dispatch system, so they can get some call info. In cities that are run exclusively by AMR for 911, but still have Phoenix Dispatch taking the actual calls, there's a Phoenix Fire computer in the rig, and two radios (one AMR one Phoenix) and we have to call in on both/use the Phoenix computer but the AMR radio, to let both know what's going on during a call.

Because Fire runs the dispatch center, they often run to as many calls as they can, which is why an engine shows up on a grandma-go-boom broken hip call. In some cities this is to justify fire's existence and funding ("we ran 6,969 calls in 2019, mayor. We serve your citizens."), In other's it's because the private EMS contract states that if we transport the patient *and* the firefighter paramedic rides along to the hospital with us (for "continuity of care"), AMR pays the fire department $200 or whatever.

America!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It...already has a shield? That's what the loving metal surround is. What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah it's gonna be like that on contact, the ranges are for open air.