Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I sadly haven't been able to track down any pictures from it, but here's a good one from the Netherlands.

The Netherlands is wet. Very wet. You got some soggy ground you walk on, below that a layer of sand, and under the sand you got millions of years old ocean water from before the tens of thousands year old sand layer got deposited there.

This holds true for Amsterdam and surrounding areas too. But that doesn't stop people from building there! So they built a beautiful Central Post Office with a big basement and stuff.

But here's the thing. That million year old ocean water contains ocean creatures and algae. Those things turn into natural gas. And when you put stuff onto that sand layer and drive piles into them, the gas may decide to flow to the surface. Mostly, it doesn't. But in the case of the Amsterdam Post Office, it did.

Not a whole lot, but still. In the lowest point of the basement, a tiny flame was found. Now, there was a bit of a dilemma.
- Random gas flame in the basement, coming from the floor. Kinda sketchy to let burn unattended.
- Put it out, seal off the crack where the flame came out off and hope the gas doesn't find another crack and cause an explosion.

In the end, they decided to just let the flame burn, and as a funny oddity, put a tea kettle on it to show to visitors getting a tour of the building.
Some years later, they did eventually extinguish it. No one exactly knows where the gas now goes to.

Source: http://www.brongas.nl/anekdotes.html

In the polders, the reclamed land that formerly was water, this actually used to be a 'normal' way of getting gas to cook on. Pump up the ocean water with the dissolved gas in it, and capture the gas in a big kind of kettle or gas holder. About 500 farms used to have such a private gas well.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

This is one of the few youtubes where I've found reading the comments section to be informative:

And welcome to the wonderful world of watching old work safety films! :)
To help the youtube algorithm inveigle you even further, may I suggest a short film about safely working on electrified rail tracks.

My own idea for how to safely work on electrified rails is don't work on electrified rails holy poo poo!! :psyduck:, but people obviously had other ideas back then.

Hoooly gently caress. Stepping between the live rail and the running rail, in a gap barely bigger than your shoe... That's so scary. If you just so happen to get your foot caught on the live one while trying not to stumble, you're gonna have a bad time.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Jabor posted:

Brakes work by turning the kinetic energy of the moving vehicle into heat in the brake rotor. If you're travelling downhill, then gravity pulling you down the hill is constantly adding more kinetic energy into the system. Once the brakes get too hot, the brake components soften, and you lose most of your braking power.

It should actually never happen, since every truck on the road should have well-maintained brake systems that don't spontaneously fail, and truckers should should be well-trained enough to avoid overusing them and letting them heat up too much. But the consequences of having a runaway truck that you literally can't stop until it plows into a school bus at the bottom of the hill, compared with the cost of building a little siding partway down a big hill, means that it's worthwhile to do even though it doesn't actually happen all that often.

Train tracks will similarly often have runaway sidings on long slopes, because even though there shouldn't be a runaway train car if proper maintenance has been done and all the correct procedures are followed, the cost of the siding is still really cheap compared to the consequences of not having it.

To this i can add that even well maintained brakes are not really intended to do continuous heavy braking on long grades. For that, you have the engine brake or retarder which can be used continuously. Drivers are trained to do that, but poo poo happens. Especially in the USA, there are still many manual gearbox trucks that have to be in gear to be able to engine brake at all. The curious thing is that these manual gearboxes are often also not-synchronized. This makes shifting down a lot harder than with a conventional manual gearbox, as used in cars.
So if you miss a shift, and not manage to find the gear within a few seconds, then you're gonna have the equivalent of about 100 space heaters heating up your normal brakes. Literally.
On modern trucks, afaik the retarder works a bit differently. The only thing you have to do is to tell it to stay in low range and if needed, switch on the retarder.

These things work sort-of the same with cars, btw. Don't keep your foot on the brake on a long descent. Instead, shift down (or into low/2/3 in an automatic slushbox), and let the engine generate most of the brake force. It's fine to leave the engine roaring at quite high revs to use the engine's natural brake force, just don't give it any gas or let it get above redline.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

That looks pretty epic.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

One issue that the sim doesn't have is a phenomenon known as squat. If you goose the throttle in shallow water, such as the suez canal, you don't actually gain significant immediate thrust. The water instead is displaced under the props first and causes the stern of the ship to squat in the water. Enough squat can ground your ship on the bottom of the channel. You probably won't get stuck, but it can definitely gently caress up your props and shafts.

The channels have speed limits to compensate for this, and you have to additionally be judicious with the throttle. The sim also grossly overstates that ship's power. Warships can accelerate as fast as the sim allows because they're built to do it. Massive vessels like the Ever Given are not built for acceleration. It would take a while to get to max speed even without squatting problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV6Z3lzbDa0

Squat can be useful. German captain on a river absolutely sends it to make his ship squat, and make the steering house clear the bridge by 20cm or so.
Includes lovely turbodiesel sound.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Elviscat posted:

We melted crayons on them in middle school, they would smoke and stink.

I think most boiler heating systems are mildly pressurized hot water in the realm of 250⁰ F?

Depends. Modern-ish systems with condensing exhaust systems generally work at 60-80 deg C water temperature. At my elementary school and in my house, i could/can hold the hot water pipes for about 5 seconds before having to let go. However, some older buildings with less efficient heaters, can go a bit hotter. I know in college that i couldn't hold my hand on the radiators for more than a second.
And on top of that, in the USA you have steam heating systems. Those get seriously hot, above the boiling point of water of course. They are not common anymore in houses, but they used to be everywhere. In some big cities with older buildings they still are there. They're quite interesting, using a single pipe bringing the steam up to the radiator, where it condenses, and trickles down the same pipe back to the boiler.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Sankara posted:

Why would anyone buy such a thing?

IDK about how many people ride with a Klim airbag, but i see people buying Dainese D-air vests occasionally. Still a bit expensive and bulky for the average rider.
Why? For the same reasons you'd buy a car with an airbag. All drivers are out to kill you, an airbag makes it less likely that they'll succeed.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Oh god what a sad waste of wood. I'll pour one out for the trees that died for that abomination.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Love how they all are just standing there with a 'yep, poo poo's hosed' attitude :D

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

i'm a ham radio operator and if i had to buy a stretch of antenna cable like on that reel (it would actually be really useful to me right now) i'd be paying a couple hundred euro i guess.

Sadly there rarely are opportunities to take away unwanted stuff from professional companies. I'd absolutely pick it up if it were in a 150ish km radius of me, but noooo :(
E: i can somewhat understand why, because if you offer something for free pickup, a surprising number of people will jump on it, of whom just about half are actually gonna come and pick it up.

Still, any radio stuff... Give a call to your local ham radio organisation. They're everywhere. Also, army/electronics dump stores just love old antenna cable and radios and will potentially even pay for it.
My favorite dump store got its hands on a big load of Racal Cougar transceivers, that were in use by the cops before they went digital. They sell quite well.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 9, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN0mh2dnyrg&t=555s

Spinning potato peeler blades. Lowering an inspector into a fresly drilled hole for concrete pilings to see if the bell bottom shape footing is dug out well enough. Jesus gently caress aaaaaaah. I'd be scared shitless of the hole caving in.
It's like colin furze, but in the 1960s and arguably more unsafe.

Also, the next sentence: 'The next stage is to fill the hole with concrete, having first removed the inspector'. Lol.

EDIT: aaah, they use lining sleeves. Phew.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 28, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The gently caress? Is he trying to stall the lathe?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Definitely the fault of the parked car. That driver should have used their loving mirrors, and could likely have seen the car that was approaching.
As a second safety factor, first open the door only slightly to give the approaching car a heads up and a decent chance to swerve.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RLcylA7pNU

Big truck in India stuck in a muddy ditch. They start winching it out.

People are walking everywhere. The steel cable clearly has spliced or frayed bits. The camera man does a close up of the loop of cable around a tree, showing how deep the cable is cutting into the tree. In the close up you can see another frayed bit.

Like i get it, you gotta get the truck out of the ditch somehow and a portable crane is probably not an option, but AAAAAAH.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 20, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Splode posted:

What does this get road registered as?

You can look up any dutch number plate at https://www.ovi.rdw.nl.
This turns out to be a small series (75 pieces or less) three wheeled motorvehicle with a weight less than 1000kg, intended for personal use.

It's a Twike 3 from 2013, weighs 280kg, has an electric motor (with the pedals for show i guess) and has a retail price of €39.000 including taxes. Jesus christ, that's stupid expensive.

In 2019 the Twike 5 was introduced, and also registered as such. But outside of the Netherlands, in some countries you can drive these lightweight 3 wheeler class vehicles on a motorcycle license. I don't know what's the point of that, i don't know anyone who has a bike licence but not a car licence.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 21, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nah, it's because throwing their burgers in a microwave is normal part of their cooking process. Most only have a tiny 8"x8" "grill", purely to put grill marks on the meat. The bulk of the cooking is still done on a flat-top griddle, and then they toss it in a microwave to give it some nuke heat.

And that's the best case. A lot of their restaurants use those conveyor belt pizza oven things now. So you're getting fake grilled baked burgers.

Odd. Over here they go into a conveyor belt thing, but they do have flames under the conveyor belt. Which makes them taste like the oil that drips from them, which ignites and smokes badly, and then proceeds to burn the burger.
They taste as revolting as the smell that comes out of the exhauster fan. One BK over here actually got shut down because they built their exhaust too close to the street, blowing their burger smoke into the shops around it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Scholtz posted:

Anyone doing any fun OSHA Halloween costumes this year? The only party I'm going to (mostly outdoors, all vaccinated) is one with some of my IH classmates.

I was thinking about getting a realistic looking foam brick and cutting it so it fits on my head at an angle, sticking it on with some spirit glue (I'm bald, thank goodness), doing some gore makeup around it/down the side of my head, and going as a construction worker who forgot their hard hat.

Really, I'm just all for costumes that are comfortable, easy to drink in, but aren't "oh that's the absolute minimum effort possible"

Not doing it, but making a demon core costume with some blue LEDs and a screwdriver sounds nice.

Also serve gin tonic in uranium glass cups, if you have them and people don't get all rowdy and break them

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It seems to me that adding some eyelets to the 'ladder' would've been trivial but make things a lot safer. I see lots of those 'ladders' on tall structures, but in most cases you can tie off to a crossmember or whatever, in such a way that it can't slip off if you bounce a bit.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

That's quite an expensive and impractical staircase

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

StoryTime posted:

I suppose they didn't get the note that you're supposed to paint the roofs of buildings white. You know where it makes sense, even helps to cool the buildings down, and doesn't cause an immediately obvious traffic hazard. You're going to need a welder's mask to drive on that thing during noon. :smithcloud:

Also is likely to make the roads less permeable to rain water, so they get slippery as gently caress in rain storms. Besides paint already being less grippy than normal asphalt.
Gonna be fun to ride a bike there. I'd demand subsidies for a supermoto so i can do mad drifts on those slippy roads!

Some paints are fine, but the paint i usually see for white road markings is chunky and can definitely make your rear wheel skip over them.
We also have red painted cycle paths. The red painted ones suck. The ones that just have red dye in the asphalt mix (the majority) are totally fine.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That is only a parking brake. There is no such thing as an "emergency brake" because that's what the brake pedal is for.

A parking brake only locks 1-2 wheels, doesn't connect to ABS, and your owner's manual will go over this in great detail.

It is not an emergency brake in the sense of 'you use it when you have to come to a stop ASAP', but as in 'you have a cable operated brake that will still work if your hydraulic brakes are hosed'. Backup brake would perhaps be a better way to describe it.
Sometimes they operated on their own little brake drums. I don't know how they work on modern cars.

I always call it a hand brake or parking brake. It's exclusively used for parking on a hill or when doing a hill start.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://twitter.com/nullreff/status/1462198337117982720?s=20

The furries have their own OwOSHA inspector and checklist, i've discovered. Of particular importance on the checklist is item no. 11 "Deodorant has been sufficiently applied".

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The real solution to the bikes and poo poo problems, is to separate the different traffic flows. The whole point of cycle paths is to make sure a 2 ton car doesn't kill cyclists, and to make sure cyclists don't bowl over pedestrians.
Of course, that doesn't help when people just walk onto the cycle path without looking. For some reasons, tourists in Amsterdam find it hard to understand that a cycle path has the same status as a car road, and just step onto it without looking.

Sooner or later you're gonna get hit. Also, they don't understand bells. You need loud squealing brakes, the sound of a rear tire slipping or a raised voice to make them move back onto the sidewalk.

Now, trams in cities, that's another OSHA story... Per passenger per kilometer, they cause about five times as many lethal accidents as the city buses. Somehow, those rumbling, squealing things that run on extremely predictable routes, are still more dangerous than the much quieter buses.
I used to study at one of Amsterdam's universities. There's a busy intersection in front of the main building, with 4 car lanes from each side, and two tram tracks down the centre. During my time, multiple people died because they got hit by the tram. None by cars or by buses afaik.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I'm sure that somewhere in this 1100 pages long thread it has been posted, but it's worth a repost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVm8G0ipETc

Scenes from the shipbreaker's yards in Pakistan set to some dark rock music from Kyuss, from the movie 'A workingman's death'

Interview with some of the workers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncO7lJVAZQ4

The movie is very much worth to find and watch (i've streamed or torrented it a while back). It has several chapters, about illicit mining operations in Ukraine, sulfur collectors on a volcano in indonesia, the shipbreakers in Pakistan, an open air slaughter house/meat market in Nigeria and steel workers in China.
It's all pretty brutal, but i only felt the need to skip the slaughter bit.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The right thing to do would be to take a good amount of distance. Just let it do it's thing, and dispose of it when it's done. If you're particularly motivated you could push the cart outdoors with a long window washing stick or whatever.

Car batteries can create hydrogen when shorted out, which is an explosion hazard combined with the sparks.
The high current can also cause the electrolyte to heat up or boil, which means it can start spewing around boiling hot acid.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfVM4swcdz0

Old french newspaper printing press. Includes fun work activities such as 'Smoking a pipe', 'Starting the press while a coworker has his head near some rollers, between some moving paper', 'Ear shatteringly loud sounds of a diesel submarine, unfiltered by any hearing protection' and 'Repeated exposure to solvent based inks without gloves'!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Calling your parents 'Sir' and 'Madam' is pretty creepy.
No family or friend gets called those words, those are reserved for formal relationships between people who otherwise don't know each other.

I don't get the idea that Destin is one of the bad religious guys, but the only family i know, in which the kids had to call their father 'sir' definitely was a 'creepy kind of religious' family. It's highly unusual here.

In any case, letterpress work can still be pretty OSHA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O6NtrK_AxM&t=29s

Sometimes they have to be manually fed, and you're always screwing around with solvents to wash away the leftover ink from the print job, from the ink well (plate) and the rollers and such.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

FatCow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeB3JnKp8To&t=1320s

This whole thing seems like a death trap. Realistically is there any reason why you shouldn't be harnessed in there?

This instantly makes me think of the mines in Cerro Gordo with their little wooden ladders and tight spaces.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

Well trams usually do avoid going full blast through pedestrian areas like this, but it's not really a problem. If there are cars there anyway though anyway then it's kind of dumb

Trams do not belong in pedestrian areas. No, they really don't. They should be treated like trains, and really have to be run on tracks that are physically impossible to reach by pedestrians.
I used to use the intersection from the news paper article below, where pedestrians have to cross two tram tracks, as well as 4 car lanes. The tram tracks have their own bells and pedestrian traffic lights. During my time at the university there, i have seen the tram rails being cordoned off multiple times because yet another person got hit by a tram. It also happened twice in another place in Amsterdam (in Osdorp). Even when the trams run on their own little section, accidents happen comparatively often when pedestrians have to cross the tram rails.

They are 12 times more likely to get into an accident with 'serious consequences' than a car, and 57 times more likely to get into a deadly accident: https://www.parool.nl/nieuws/al-twee-doden-dit-jaar-hoe-onveilig-is-de-tram~bd1188e1/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F
(Side note: the Parool newspaper is a vaguely leftist news paper that's usually very positive about anything public transport related, this is not just right wing propaganda)

Aside from that, the tram rail gutters make it easy for cyclists to get caught in them and fall. I do not have any numbers about how many hospitalisations because of those accidents there are, but i know many people who have fallen at least once cycling over a shared tram/car/cycle road, or when crossing them on an intersection.

The only reason why there are trams in Amsterdam, is because it was the best way of transporting people in the 1920s. I'm fine with keeping the existing infrastructure but gently caress any new tram system that doesn't run on separate tracks.

Trolley buses (or by now battery electric buses) have a shorter braking distance and can swerve if needed. Battery buses can also regeneratively brake, which the typical tram can't always do. For any new inner city public transport system, electric buses are the way to go.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 13, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbykic--SKA&t=986s

Riding a giant keyway cutter (or whatever it is) as if it were a mechanical bull. I'm at work and just burst out laughing.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Sweat pants are available in 'soccer cut', a more body hugging version that's still super comfy but flaps around considerably less.
They make my legs (and other things) look good.

They're mostly meant to use inside in a comfortably warm place, unless you're actually doing sports and you get enough body heat going to stay warm outside.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Re: bridge stuff. Happened here too.

A cyclist got caught behind the barriers, probably thinking she was well in front of the barriers while she was actually on the moving part of the bridge. Though it is not fully certain why she didn't move after the barriers closed. The bridge operator didn't notice her being there.
She fell a long way down.

The city has now painted all movable parts of all bridges yellow, as well as now having an emergency stop for cyclists and pedestrians to use. The emergency stop has been there for a few years and afaik it has never been abused yet. Abusing it would of course be really dangerous to ships ramming the halfway opened bridge deck.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

chrisgt posted:

That's like comparing my steel toe shitkickers with an ant. Two such graders colliding at 80mph would be a bit of a different story.
And now I really want to see that.. In a controlled environment, of course.

Absolutely. Make it an event like that time when they made two steam locomotives collide.

But perhaps this time put the audience behind a blast screen.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ok, that makes a lot of sense from the engineering side, thanks.

There are multiple ways bridges are constructed. One is the bascule bridge. Instead of a giant hinge that the bridge pivots around, it rolls over a track with gear teeth. The rolling bit has matching gear teeth.
The fact that the whole construction is rather big, and the deck moves back, means you gotta have a reasonably large gap.

Most often, the gear stuff is hidden away underneath the bridge deck. But in the case of this bridge in Antwerp, it's all visible:

If you'd construct them with a conventional hinge/pin that the whole deck pivots on, you wouldn't need so big a gap, but you'd still have some wiggle room because of the thickness of the deck, and as said before have space for the counterweight.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

:nms: just to be sure, number 4 and the bonus one contain gore (what happens when a grinding disc shatters and hits your face, and something about a guy who touched a spinning thing on a lathe.

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1500510791409102856

Twitter thread about fails on some kind of DiResta TV show.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

NoWake posted:

You know those little paper snappers filled with gravel & explosives that are handed out to kids to throw on the ground? Yeah I took a couple boxes of those and started unraveling each one of them, emptying the contents onto a napkin. The plan was to then wrap it all up and use it as a giant, fist-sized popper. I only got about a golf ball-sized pile on the napkin before it spontaneously exploded in my face, scaring the crap out of me and seriously annoying the families there eating lunch in the picnic pavilion around me.

Ooh! I did that too! The first two times i made one about half the size of a golfball it went fine. They were pretty loud.

The final time i was making a bigger one, i had the same issue as you had. When it reached a critical mass it went boom and gravel was strewn around through the living room.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Not gonna lie, i puckered.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Those one wheel things would be nice, if only you could brake properly. The brake force available is fully limited by how much power the motor has. I see them on occasion in the city, but they can't nearly brake as fast as a car or bicycle can.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It seems Windows have crashed. Perhaps try linux this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Mister Speaker posted:

Why do guys rappell down them, anyway? Is there treasure at the bottom? Are the concrete tunnels that dams are made of actually peppered with little access doors and ladders, like they are in video games?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScR1ro6xH48&t=179s

Here's the inside of a spillway. It's really just a big, echoey but otherwise plain concrete tunnel with a lot of graffiti inside. No access doors or ladders, no treasure.