Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Invalid Validation posted:

Not even worth it i guarantee you the extension cord was like five bucks at Walmart. It’s a small gauge that you buy for cheap when you don’t know what you’re actually doing.

It also almost certainly isn't rated for the wattage of a microwave. You need an cord made from 12awg or 10awg wire for that sort of thing, but those are expensive so the $5 fire hazard from Walmart gets used instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ChesterJT posted:

drat you, just saw that one and wanted to post it. Found another good one, will try out this new tiktok embed thing...

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6982148925440429317

Reminds me of this rolling safety hazard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEx8Wn_8r-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3D4FN5cdZk

Person with the camera walking across the plane of rotation is seriously :stonk:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Lone Badger posted:

The other rule is to cut the plug off a bad appliance when throwing it out. Don't want someone fishing it out, plugging it in, and finding out why I threw it out.

Sometimes that's not enough. I had to do that for a recalled dehumidifier once but one of the junk trucks which roam the neighborhood snagged it not three minutes after I set it out for the city's appliance recovery folks to pick up.

I am absolutely certain that they just stuck a new plug on it and resold it since they were looking at the cut cord very intently and checking over the whole thing. Should have glued one of these on it I guess.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cat Hatter posted:

If it makes you feel any better, whenever I go to the scrapyard there is someone dropping off a refrigeration coil of some kind so they could have just taken it to get a few bucks in scrap value.

The guys in the trucks usually do that but this guy really inspected the crap out of that dehumidifier before picking it up and putting it in the cab of his truck (not the precarious pile of various metal items in the trailer or bed).

The scrap guys generally dgaf about keeping things intact. It doesn't happen anymore because the city moved to an on-call collection and because nobody has any CRTs but there used to be a real problem of the scrap guys ripping open the housing of TVs and then smashing the tube to grab just the copper coil, leaving a wonderful spot of broken phosphor-covered lead-carrying glass in people's yards.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wiegieman posted:

Every single helicopter pilot is a maniac until proven otherwise.

My father is a forester and does a lot of work with helicopter spray crews. They are all loving insane, just completely bonkers.

One pilot had five crash landings under his belt, but I have no idea how many of those were actually reported.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wireless CarPlay kinda sucks rear end. It is basically real time video streaming from your phone to the head unit and it is significantly laggier than wired, especially if large sections of the screen updates rapidly (like the map zooming in to show an upcoming intersection).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

jerk off while driving that's why I tinted the windows

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MrYenko posted:

Pretty sure he spills less fuel this way than I do when I try to fuel my mower with one of those gently caress-awful ventless gas cans.

I am also legitimately jealous of his funnel.

Get one of these and your days of frustration will be over.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Stoatbringer posted:

Side and rear underrun barriers are common, and I think actually a legal requirement, on trucks in Europe. They’re certainly on every single one in the UK above a certain size.

US trucks/lorries and trailers are still being sold equipped with drum brakes, despite the fact that they suck at sustained braking and we have large mountain ranges.

Every now and then a truck turns into an uncontrollable death missile and the rest of us look on, proud that the logistics company saved $3k on the initial purchase of the trailer a decade and a half ago. :911:

https://youtu.be/r7djN6bxHcU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Thats definitely the best solution. After all it isn't like you've got a pair of support posts that are more than capable of supporting the weight of the beam right there.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

haveblue posted:

Yeah I don't think it's the diverging diamond specifically, it's that all infrastructure work in the US has to overrun its schedule and budget by at least 150%, it's the american way

Yet when a core highway gets shut down due to fire destroying a bridge it gets repaired in a matter of weeks.

The difference is that the contracts are structured so that every day it takes to complete the job substantially reduces the amount of money the company gets paid. Just shows that we can get poo poo done faster, we just choose not to.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've seen some "modern" designed fast food places that don't have the swinging bit anymore.

The idea of anything being actually functional pisses architects off apparently.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This is the point at which it becomes a bad idea:

Why did the angle grinder become the tool to abuse when making your viral content? Is it because they are so cheap?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Was friends with one of the lead utilities engineers at the 300mm chip fab I helped start up. He joked that they made sure to keep off site back ups of emergency plans for one of the main gas supply stations (I believe Silane) because a catastrophic tank failure had a high likelihood of causing other tanks to fail which could touch off a chain reaction with a 1/4mi "total destruction" radius.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm a little curious why they don't use a probe with a refrigerated window. That's pretty much the baseline for laser hair removal.

Still hurts like hell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Nice to see someone who presumably know things explaining what likely went down

I saw a few maritime folks saying that some ships/lines have a policy of keeping the emergency generator running during harbor-area maneuvers as a way to knock out the required testing of the generator and so that in the event of a power loss it is able to restore power in seconds vs nearly a minute for a cold start.

Also saw some cite the SOLAS convention which requires an emergency generator to restore power to critical systems including over-side and navigational lighting within 45 seconds, which makes the minute and a half long blackout very odd.