Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pickled Tink posted:

A long time ago I heard about some kind of scam or recycling thing where people would make a single functional car out of two cars that had been in wrecks by cutting off the damaged sections of both and welding them together. This reminds me of that and why it is such a horrible idea.

It's called a 'clip job' and it is (or was) fairly common. Insurance companies loved it because they could salvage a functioning car out of two total losses and recoup some of their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Enoch Root posted:

Does anybody know what type of plane this is? I want to send it to a friend of mine who is a commercial pilot and I'd like to pretend I know at least something of aviation.

According to Wiki, TUI airlines flies primarily 737s, and that sure looks like one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

Attempted murder, right?

In Russia, it's Tuesday.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kesper North posted:

I like how one guy kind of just casually reaches over and tugs on its tail like a lever and the goanna (Asian water monitor?) is released from its mounting brackets, then immediately pings over to the far corner of the shop where you'll spend an hour trying to get it out with a broom. Classic repair work!

They were filming it because they knew it was there. It had originally come from the white van at the back.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dannywilson posted:

Could you post it? I'd love to see it and don't know what words to put into google for it.

If you just GIS the image, you get this:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

and, before you ask? it's a normal tomb. nothing creepy or bad or horror related about it at all. just a nice, safe, normal tomb, without any wandering monsters at all.

edit- yup just tryin to get some quotes for remodeling my summer vacation tomb that's all. no reason to investigate this much at all.

Depending on where you live there are laws about disturbing burial places. If there's any chance that it's historically significant, you'll want a team of archeologists to look it over as well.

Do everything on the up-and-up with legitimate contractors and they should be able to walk you through the proper practices.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

They're so cute when they're chasing laser beams. :allears:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sinkhole opens in China, bus falls in, hilarity ensues:

Sorry for size, can't seem to edit it

Ed: Deleted, I didn't know people died. :(

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 14, 2020

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fun with detonating hydrogen (even safely):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9CI6KSV560

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Buttcoin purse posted:

For anyone who didn't read the article (or some other thread I saw it posted in - not sure where I'm getting my story from here :v:), my recollection is that the fracking process itself isn't worse in terms of creating this radioactive brine - you get it from conventional wells too (as with fracking, depending on what's in the ground) - but fracking tends to happen closer to where people live, which is what makes it worse.

The smoke sits on top of the CO2?

If there was actually methane there, would it explode instead?

No, because methane is less dense than air and would rise away and dissipate. If the flare was close enough to the source it might ignite.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is one of those images that leaves me wishing I had studied physics so I could run the numbers on what the gently caress happened.

F=ma should do the trick. The truck stopped too fast and snapped the lines holding the boat.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Beccara posted:

Did he even get out? Could have been no seatbelt ejected through the front

The windshield looks intact.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

null_pointer posted:

Seriously. What could even cause that to happen?

I would guess that the surge of water broke or disconnected the fuel line.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

How the gently caress was anyone dumb enough to take the time to screw the cap on?

It wouldn't have exploded without being sealed. That was obviously not the first time they had done it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

Yes! Copy this script into your preferred browser scripting addon. If it automatically adds [ url ] tags around the urls then you need to delete them. I use Violentmonkey, Greasemonkey apparently has vulnerabilities that make it unsafe to use.

You can change the max height in the last line to whatever suits you, I find 650 pixels works well on a 1920*1200 screen.

This script was originally created by forums user Elysiume.

Unfortunately, that script is specifically for webm and doesn't seem to touch gifv or mp4 videos. I don't know enough about scripting to modify it to include them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

Not true at all. I just tested it with the sarlacc pit video up the page and could change it from a postage stamp size to covering most of the page, and that's a gifv

Doesn't work for me. I'm using Firefox on a Mac.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

uvar posted:

I don't know what the difference is, but the version I have is a little simpler, change the max-height if it's too big (edit: SA keeps adding url tags, you'll need to delete those)

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name               smaller videos
// @namespace          [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/[/url]
// @description        [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3851283&perpage=40&pagenumber=407#post488266987[/url]
// @include            [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// @grant              GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 800px; } ");

window.addEventListener("load", function() {
    $("video").attr("controls", "controls");
}, false);

Aha. The URL tags was the problem. I hadn't even noticed them. Thank you. Now it works fine.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

California has always been a trend-setter.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sydin posted:

Really it's better to say we're running out of cheap helium. You can extract it from the atmosphere just fine, the process as it exists right now though is just incredibly expensive and energy intensive.

It's a significant portion of a lot of natural gas deposits. Separating it out is easy, there just hasn't been any infrastructure for it. The US selling off its reserves has depressed the market. When it's worth their while, there will be plenty available.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

is just random people getting flu shots an american thing? I think they only give them to elderly people here

Doctors generally recommend that their elderly patients get one, but they are available for anyone who wants one.

Places like hospitals often give it to all their employees to minimize transmission to patients.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Is it supposed to do that?

https://i.imgur.com/SmpBHzf.mp4

ed: found a better link

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 24, 2020

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HardDiskD posted:

:psyduck: Why couldn't this be a fixed thing? I guess other than to add a cool mil or so to the manufacture price I guess.

It needed to be up for speed, down to see the ground for landing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

You can tell from the start, the rocks are the wrong scale.

Also ice that transparent is really thin and couldn't support much weight.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

anonumos posted:

I'm no electrician but, "Wait, what?"

It's a standard twisted pair cable, no big deal.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That's pretty awesome, actually. It's as safe as anything else you do in a shop. :shrug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

cross post from aviation thread, happened this morning

https://i.imgur.com/HhFooHH.mp4

note also the Quebec Drivers

Uber is really making life difficult for taxis.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Serephina posted:

I was going to be upset about people posting death in the Schadenfreude thread, but then realized where I was. Jokes aside, that's not a terribly smart thing to try.

I'm glad you got over it. Unlike that 19-year-old.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

I know nothing about circuits beyond kids tv basics at this point but i want to ask why is current represented by an I? ( I am assuming current is the i from context. Also im aware the letters chosen dont have to line up with anything just curious if it does)
From: https://www.thoughtco.com/electrical-current-2698954

quote:

The conventional symbol for current is I, which originates from the French phrase intensité de courant, meaning current intensity. Current intensity is often referred to simply as current.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

to answer the usual follow-up: the reason you also sometimes see Ohm's law with an Ɛ instead of a V is because voltage used to be called "electromotive force."

It seems like anything the French were involved with has a weird verbose connection between the symbol and the concept. Germans and English were pretty straightforward, in contrast.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Surprised the OSHA thread hasn't mentioned This Old Tony.

He never shows his face so no one can bitch about PPE. Besides, he uses so much trick photography it's hard to tell if what he's showing you is real, anyway.

Awesomely clever videos, regardless.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Colin Furze became a YouTube star back in 2007 by making one of those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN14xrnZwXw

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sorry. Must have been those chili dogs I ate last night. :blush:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Synthetic Dreams posted:

Do carcinogenic degreasers have the possibility of causing painful nerve damage?

Anything is possible. Be daring.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/6S26vnv.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this gotta be on purpose

He lights his cigarette twice to give her a chance to spray the stuff directly at the flame.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

That's a sledge I think. Probably why the car's missing the front bumper and has at least one dent between the windshield and passenger window. This feels set up.

Seems to be related to this:

https://twitter.com/GazTankMotors/status/1217073264079659010

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

It boggles the mind that driving instruction doesn't include even a mention of how dangerous gasoline really is. It's just the smelly go juice you put in your car

That guy seems thoroughly aware of exactly how dangerous gasoline is.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

That’s some awesome backing up skills, but what’s the blinking for? I’m dumb

Tetris

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sydin posted:

Can I get sued if I buy a bunch of normal pallets and paint them blue?

Painting them blue is probably not a problem. Painting them blue and then trying to return them probably would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SpaceCadetBob posted:

CBS is saying DOW chem has a primary plant right downstream of there? That sounds hilariously bad.

Why are you capitalizing Dow?

Dow has always been there, they've designed the place with flooding in mind. The Dow complex has flooded many times.