Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I got a torpedo heater for free, put some fuel lines on it. Put some k1 in it and found out both the filler cap and level float leak like poo poo, thank goodness for Subaru rear luggage mats. Ran it in my garage for 15 minutes, per the instructions and good ventilation. Stank up the whole house. Heats up a room pretty fast if you can stand the fumes but it's pretty useless. I'm a mechanic by trade and very picky about assholes letting cars run in the shop, and will not hesitate to call you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Superterranean posted:

Are we just not gonna talk about this

That looks like some sort of differential oil, and I am wondering why it is so black and thin, like diesel oil, thinned from fuel and black from particulate. Either way, this dudes in for a wild ride

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Varkk posted:

I heard that most car fires are from the hydraulic fluid leaking. Most have a lower flashpoint than fuel. Also tend to be run around areas they are more likely to be damaged. So car hit the standing water too fast. The shock of the impact knocked a hydraulic line, possibly either brakes or power steering. Then the fluid hit a hot surface and a ignited.

My money's on fuel line. By the time they hit the water the exhaust and catalytic converter were probably too cool to ignite power steering or transmission fluid(I have seen this burn a car or two to the ground though, for sure). Fuel lines are all plastic now with quick disconnect fittings. The pressure of water slamming into a line could easily just break a plastic connection. High pressure fuel may not ignite on a hot source, but if there is an exhaust leak close to the engine(see: flex pipes directly before or after catalytic converter, most people have had theirs replaced at one point) it's a definitely probable. Even better, if that driver haS been running around with a check engine light for an arcing ignition coil or spark plug wire, I would guarantee it. Plus, whatever is on fire there, is burning while floating on top of water. It's gotta be fuel

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Stopped into the job I'm layed off from to get some of my tools for a side job(gonna probably get the whole kit here soon). There are racoons in the ceiling. There are NUMEROUS osha violations at this shop, like no provided ppe whatsoever, no paper towels for handwashing, just a communal large rag. They cut everyone's pay from COVID19(PRETTY FUCKIN BACKWARDS IMHO). He replaced a few furnace blowers that kept burning up before giving up and finally loving calling a pro to install another furnace he picked up at auction. The installer informed me we don't have a fresh air exchanger. Still don't.

The solution about the racoons has been "I'm gonna pour a bunch of ammonia up there then seal it off."

My friend that works in the same building, under the racoons, is immuno compromised, and is on medication that can cause lung infections when mixed with animal feces and cigarette smoke.

I think it's time to give big O a call, but it sucks because I don't want to put my buddy out of work.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
He's also got a kid due any minute now. What sucks, is we are both advanced level euro techs, and we have been just about everywhere looking for an employer that appreciated their people. It's just been one letdown after the other. I make decent money, or at least I did before schools shuttered, but I would say I could take a 15k a year cut, to add some years back to my life expectancy, mainly due to stress but also environmental hazards.

The worst part of all this, is I met with the owner at least 3 times before joining up, and this was not the picture that was painted of what the fastest growing independent shop in Ohio should look like. This fucker even turned down the CARES program because of "stipulations".

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I just told him I was planning on calling. He said "I don't care." So, yea.

Even if he said don't, he's the kind of dude that likes to ignore bright warning signs, so, love him to death, I would have probably made the call anyway. Thanks for listening, thread

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Cojawfee posted:

Someone who works on German cars.

it's this. i was gonna add Volvo so it's not just German cars, but it's the German cars that need the most help.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Would that be a pizza flambé? From the comments it's hard to tell if people are taking it face value or not, but that looks like alcohol flames to me.

Yes I guess. My guess is the water from fresh tomatoes, boiling in fuckin pizza and pepperoni possibly bacon grease, vaporizing the grease causing combustion. Or they took the term vodka sauce too literally, but I doubt it. At the end of the day, no one is getting that pizza and this is fake

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

I have this bad boy and it's definitely rad. Nthing the drywall screw thing, and Torx bits are actually good. Biggest problem with stripped fasteners is not using the correct bit in the first place :grin:

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
It's a parking brake you loving schmucks

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

James Woods posted:

Don't get me wrong this guy is an rear end in a top hat for not stopping but 1.) You have to admire that shoulder check 2.) As a person who commutes by bike every day in a major metropolitan city I understand his frustration with inattentive pedestrians. I've never hit or body checked one but I'd be lying if I said I've never slapped the phone out of the hand of a jaywalker walking into traffic staring at their phone. In this instance the pedestrian definitely had the right of way but I just can't understand people that go through crosswalks like this. Can we take the cycling full circle and argue about fixies?

You hipster gently caress is that a Leader frame?

(I still have my Fuji track comp sitting on gold velocity deep V's from my Philly shredding days. Can't bring myself to get rid of it.

gently caress BICYCLES

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Finally get to contribute to this thread. Shits probably fine but not one single tie down, not the pallet, nothin.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
It's feed corn, one just fell off lmao!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

slapping that dipshit on the head made my whole fuckin week

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

really cool stuff. really really cool

soooo cool

edit: cant we just like, turn it off? or is it pressurized straight from the ground to this loving absolute shade tree hillbilly pipeline? sorry i dont know everything

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Potato Salad posted:

the pipes themselves contain a lotta oil too :(

they're also built like poo poo. when people talk about oil pipes threatening their water supply, they're not making things up. constantly leaking "acceptably," constantly bursting without anyone noticing for days, weeks, sometimes loving months, neglectfully and negligently managed, yada yada. they're ecological disasters guarded by cops and courts

not only that, but even locally, repair shops dump oil and chemicals into floor drains, and even though they have separators that require maintenance that doesnt get done, they arent perfect. gently caress it all, man :(

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Can't remember if it was this thread, the schad thread or both, but the girl jumping off the parking garage and essentially faceplanting on the ground below has given me repeated dreams of girls doing that from even second floors and screaming. Thanks!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Phanatic posted:

Never lift.

It's this, he should have mashed the brake and kept his foot partially in the throttle. Also, he should never have put it in Track mode, which mostly switches off traction control. This is the best part of rich people buying fast cars, they always ruining them. They assume there's no skill involved.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Zero One posted:

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1507335633005649920?s=21&t=7q9LrXnQx7Wrk135LCScqg

It's the world's tallest drop tower ride. It just opened a few months ago.

:nms: There is a video. Do not go looking for it. :nms:

A dude showed me this video at work yesterday on his phone. He had already seen it, so I assumed he didn't see anyone die, but yep, I watched a 14 year old splat on the ground, and people standing around in shock.

It was like another guy I used to work with was hysterically laughing after watching a video and was like dude look at this. It was a guy getting repeatedly run over by motorcycles doing like 90, presumably in Mexico. Just some dude that was trying to get away, getting run over and thrown into the air, his body becoming more and more mangled. Cooooool stuff.

Edit: dont watch this video please

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
This seemed applicable to the thread

Tuggin' lmao

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I miss Drum tobacco. Being the dude rolling some drum and smoking out the dorm window at 16th and Chestnut, Philadelphia.

Hey man can I bum a...

Pulls out big can of tobacco and a pack of poo poo Tops papers.

Nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

satanic splash-back posted:

When the alternatives are poison or imprecise implement, this seems pretty humane.

Agreed. I use spring traps because it minimizes the time suffering. I went to the store the other day to buy some more but all they had was a little box the mouse goes into and takes a little bit of green poison gel back to kill its family with slowly over time. The mouse in the mean time gets this crap all over, or at least exposes all the areas it goes to. Including your pets, wildlife, etc. Also the mouse excrement will also be contaminated. Extreme care to be used with the corpses. No thanks.