Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Finished the community center for the first time. Riverlands farm, married Haley. Is there an ending to this game or ami I now just trying to make numbers go up?

grandpa comes and evaluates your farm at the end of year 2 and the last like four patchs have added stuff to do after the community centers done. idk the scope and scale of the new content but it seems like theres a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fungah! posted:

grandpa comes and evaluates your farm at the end of year 2 and the last like four patchs have added stuff to do after the community centers done. idk the scope and scale of the new content but it seems like theres a lot

*Sighs and erases Games Beat 2021 Draft post in the other tab*

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Let's see some beach farm progress pics. I was too weak to try it myself but that doesn't mean I can't look at pics and wish I had.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Fungah! posted:

there's some Mr Qi bullshit on the new island and it measures perfection. If you get it you get a new fancy cutscene. I recommend just youtubing it, its korean mmo levels of grind.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

there's some Mr Qi bullshit on the new island and it measures perfection. If you get it you get a new fancy cutscene. I recommend just youtubing it, its korean mmo levels of grind.

If I cant be bothered to do the work to reach perfection, then I won't be watching.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just need a couple more bits of iridium to get to the new 1.5 area...pretty excited to get a barn full of ostriches

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

Stardew Board Game came in the mail today. Box got some weight to it. Pretty excited.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pushy Cat posted:

Stardew Board Game came in the mail today. Box got some weight to it. Pretty excited.

definitely interested in impressions, it looked sick but i didnt want to blow space on my board game wall just based on IP

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

Fungah! posted:

definitely interested in impressions, it looked sick but i didnt want to blow space on my board game wall just based on IP

Weekend can't come soon enough to bust out the card table. I'll be playing it solo until friends are around again :D

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

: i cant afford to buy the board games i want boo hooo
: if i buy one more game without space to put it my wife will cave in my skull with a bag full of meeples

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

: i cant afford to buy the board games i want boo hooo
: if i buy one more game without space to put it my wife will cave in my skull with a bag full of meeples

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i bought into the Hero Quest reboot kickstarter in a fit of COVID isolation madness and unless i bully my friends into playing it once it arrives, it's just going to be another thing i have to hide from my toddler son so he doesn't break it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Finally got to the island, dear god the content.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m near the end of year two on my Riverland farm and I realise I hate the layout.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’m near the end of year two on my Riverland farm and I realise I hate the layout.

It's very pretty but way too cramped, it doesn't take long before you're starving for more room to work

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Pushy Cat posted:

have you gotten a chance to play yet?

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

I did. I played solo on beginner Sprout difficulty (vs regular Sprout difficulty). It is very fun, really needed to think about like I should choose to go deeper in the mine, or fish in the lake. I think when I finally get to play this with friends it's going to be a pretty special experience trying to save the valley.

No mechanic is overly complex, but they are distinct enough, and (on Normal Difficulty) you need to jump between any two of them each turn whilst trying to complete grandpa's 4 wishes (randomly drawn from 8 possibilities) AND the 6 rooms of the community center (each room has a few possibilities drawn randomly, and you have to reveal these via actions) all in one year.

When playing with up to 4 people, each player chooses a profession so if they're the one with the fishing pole they'll be more focused on the fishing mechanic (involves a fishtrack which you stock by pulling tiles from the fish bag. I like the fishtrack (and bag) a lot. there is mineral/artifact bag also ) Professions do not make actions exclusive, but upgrades for professions are (except solo) So you kind of split up responsibilities.

Each mechanic has either a good stack of cards or a full bag of tiles. Only two types of dice (3 each), the stardew dice are multi-purpose (the other type for animal resources) The replayability seems pretty high, like the difficulty (if you want to go all the way!). The instructions and board layout with all its locations and mechanics are excellent.

Hope it's back in stock just in time for people to be able to play with their friends!

Pushy Cat fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 10, 2021

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

And there is a Friendship Deck. (edit: the Villagers deck..)

Pushy Cat fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 10, 2021

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
sounds really good! now I have to get irl board game playing friends.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I accidentally put a mega bomb down and it blew up a bunch of my paths and (which I could just pick up) and I carried on with my day because I was in a hurry but I have realised in-game weeks later that it also blew up my crystal makers and trash machines and I hadn’t noticed until now. :negative:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Can you marry leah in the board game???

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Can you marry leah in the board game???

Leah is marryable. Though being able to get hitched (and to who you want) seems hard enough to not be possible every (most?) playthroughs. especially solo :..( . Marriage gives you a spouse piece to make an addirional action each turn so its not just for bragging rights :).

Edit: only one player can be married/have spouse piece per game.

The villagers you encounter during the make a friend action are drawn from top of village deck. Not sure if theres someway to search for specific villager.

Pushy Cat fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 10, 2021

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
that board game is still sold out :(

I am halfway through spring in my second year now on beach map. I will try to take some screenshots, but basically there is only one patch of land where sprinklers work. Right now, I have filled my greenhouse and that little field and put a coop and barn on the sand. The pigs still find truffles in the sand so I guess they are those desert truffles you hear about from egypt. On a good day I pull in $20k, definitely less than on a regular farm by now, but still more than enough to buy the iridium sprinkler every week and anything else i need.

I haven't made it to the island yet, rip.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The island is like a whole other game. It’s my first time going through so I’m not really rich like I could be and I feel like it is better explored if you have those wizard buildings that are expensive and your farm automated so you can gently caress off for as long as possible.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's really cool, one of the friends I'm co-op farming with barely wants to play recently so I'm tempted to start a solo farm just so I can finish the island quicker

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
hooooly poo poo I unlocked the boat to the island last night. still buzzing about it i am. i had everything but the iridium so tonight it's back in the skull mines.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Its absolutely insane how big the island is and how much there is to do on it. Like you can fully read the patch notes and still not guess correctly. You'd think it's like the desert with a shop and a couple things on it. Nope, its like a full blown 2000's style expansion pack.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it’s been easily the best gaming so far in 2021, eric barone is a madman and I love him

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I never knew you could just hold down the button and run past a line of kegs/cows/mayo makers and brew/pet/fill every one of them and now I’m trying to count all the button presses I would’ve saved

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

there’s an island :aaaaa:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
screenshots from year 2 on the beach farm.

there's a lot of empty space you can see, i make most of my money from the greenhouse and truffles. there is a spot where you can fit 8 iridium sprinklers.

there's a little pond behind your house

forage cave and greenhouse on its own little island.

nice dock here

this was a fun surprise, but spoilerd just in case

secret fishing spot

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wendy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Beautiful pics. Thank you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1451290564469551107

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol cool

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm not sure about the actual "haunted chocolatier" premise but hell as long as there's a town full of people to talk to and wives to marry I'm down

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I'm not sure about the actual "haunted chocolatier" premise but hell as long as there's a town full of people to talk to and wives to marry I'm down

i think i'm on board with it, lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I didn't realize it was basically going to be Stardew 2 with regards to the engine/aesthetic. That look has such a huge place in my heart from nostalgia that I'm basically guaranteed to love this game no matter what the hell you actually do in it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it feels like you probably do stardew valley things, anyway. like, chocolatier lends itself to all of the farming mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'll buy it since Stardew is one of my favorite games of all time, but if it's really that combat focused I dunno if it's gonna click with me