Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
Some genius figured out that if you take regular tops (not cool ones like a gyroscope) and dress them up as monsters kids will want them.

I tried to explain to her that the entire behavior of this toy can be described by physics and that the dominant factors are likely angular momentum and friction. She wasn't having any of that though and insists that their stamina, attack type and some other anthropomorphized bullshit are the determining factors. It's like kids from the olden days arguing about who has the best marbles.

So I realized that it's not actually about logic it's just about what's "hips", or "cool", or "in".

But I'm a dork and I wasn't any of those things as a kid. Now I'm an old dude and I'm totally hopeless. It seems that "Takara Tomy" and "Metal Fusion" are good words to find on the box. There was also some mention of "Gunmetal Fusion" but my google-fu is too weak to figure out WTF that is.

So help out a lame dad. What's the right Beyblade to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
If you want to do this properly, you'll have to do your research via these documentaries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyblade_(season_1)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyblade_(season_2)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyblade_(season_3)
Start at Episode 1 of Season 1, go from there.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 27, 2019

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Beyblades are great if you love the sounds of ratchets clicking and hunks of plastic and metal hitting each other and a cheap polystyrene box over and over and over and over, all while your kids yell anime nonsense.

I, too, am a lame dad. :eng99:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Don't buy kids stupid plastic poo poo that will find it's way into a dumpster in six months.

I have no kids and can serve no reasonable alternative that all parties will find favorable.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Beyblades are only entertaining if there's money on the line.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

You need to get both Reaper and pre-nerf Ana to have ultimates fully charged then the Ana uses nano on Reaper as he simultaneously uses death blossom.

The speed boost imparted by the old nano combined with the spinning Reaper does during a death blossom is what earns this combo the nickname "Beyblade".

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
If you love your kid and want to be a proud beyblade dad you should go all the way and make one out of lead (the heavier the better, I believe).

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
i had a younger sibling into these for a hot minute what was even more bizzare is they weren't like actual action figures or dolls that also functioned as tops, they were tops assembled out of pieces that would (in theory) change their spin pattern and how they moved around and knocked other tops but yeah it wasn't sold or distributed to kids as "hey this is zig zaggy, or part X counters part Y because of where they hit" and other physics stuff it was all about giving dumb lore to pieces of metal and plastic and pretending there were dragons and poo poo represented in the top

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How are the modern beyblades different from the original ones? I played them back in the day and they were pretty neat

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/Beyblade/c...ntent=post_body

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
It turns out that what I though were "gunmetal" Beyblades are actually "shogun" Beyblades.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Blue Moonlight posted:

Beyblades are great if you love the sounds of ratchets clicking and hunks of plastic and metal hitting each other and a cheap polystyrene box over and over and over and over, all while your kids yell anime nonsense.

I, too, am a lame dad. :eng99:

Luckily, I don't have to deal with that sound. She brings a bunch of them to school and plays during recess.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Don't buy kids stupid plastic poo poo that will find it's way into a dumpster in six months.

I have no kids and can serve no reasonable alternative that all parties will find favorable.

That was my first reaction. She's been into this crap for over a year now though.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

tangy yet delightful posted:

You need to get both Reaper and pre-nerf Ana to have ultimates fully charged then the Ana uses nano on Reaper as he simultaneously uses death blossom.

The speed boost imparted by the old nano combined with the spinning Reaper does during a death blossom is what earns this combo the nickname "Beyblade".

Haha. She was Bastet Ana for Halloween.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SeventhUncle fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 2, 2019

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

my 5 year old loves em, op

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My nine year old loves em. He bought a ton at a yard sale for like five bucks. I just bought a bunch for him for Christmas and let me tell you, there are some serious enthusiasts out there.

It looks like there's knockoff beyblades that are a lot cheaper and can be mixed with beylades but I don't know if he's a purist or not yet. I was literally googling "best beyblade" and went from there.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Back when these things first came out in the early 2000s, my little brother was obsessed with them. He eventually started making his own out of wood and metal and poo poo and they were actually pretty cool and dangerous.

I vaguely remember there was this one big green one that was super OP and would loving own every other beyblade regardless of their "stats". If you can find that one it would be your best choice IMO.

Edit: Just texted him. Apparently it was actually blue and it's called Seaborg 2.

Thermos fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

SeventhUncle posted:

Haha. She was Bastet Ana for Halloween.

This is very cool.