Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
labour is going to win this general election, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
100+ labour landslide inbound

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

I think we're looking at Lab+SNP coalition.

I very much doubt a coalition is on the cards because it wouldn't look good for either side, but a confidence and supply arrangement is very possible, probably in exchange for labour legislating for another indyref at the backend of the term in 2023/4 thus proving star trek to be written by time travellers

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 1, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Which would be amazing considering the press have just taken the mask completely off this time around and thrown all impartiality out the window.

I actually think this will backfire on them because while they're soberly and somewhat subtly undermining labour by starving them of oxygen etc it works (or has historically, Labour's social media game is really changing this) but they've so blatantly thrown their toys out the pram this time it's just made then look ridiculous.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

If labour end up C&S with the SNP I'd predict extending the franchise to 16, including for the brexit vote, and then another election the minute the SNP vote against anything in the manifesto.

That would be very smart politics so it won't happen

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

A hot water bottle in your bed is an absolute godsend if you're in cold house especially if you have pretty bad circulation in your feet like me. My time on the dole would have been much much more miserable without this one cool trick.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

My partner's aunt is going to vote Tory as someone affected by the WASPI stuff because 'Corbyn says he'll sort it but he's lying' while 'at least Boris is honest" fml

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Brown Moses is a Tory prick, gently caress him

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Do mods get paid and if not why bother

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

There's something to be said about keeping your community from overrunning with turds.

Why would I want my shitposting time to be a job, and not a paid one, in addition to my job also being a job

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

You get Big John we get Milliband, and not the good Milliband either.

I didn't think David Miliband was even active in politics anymore lol, Christmas lunch for them must be great.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

So, genuine question; what happens when Labour looses and we get a Tory majority large enough to push their legislation? Because, honestly, that's looking like the most likely scenario right now.

What are everyone's personal plans for survival?

I'm thinking it's time to look at moving abroad into Europe before Brexit shuts out that option, because I don't think their will be anything left here for me.

What about Labour? I think it's fair to say that Corbyn needs to stand down after this. If he looses another GE to this opposition then he's clearly just bad at getting elected. You can argue, correctly, that the media is biased against him, but he's also very bad at playing that game, etc.

Thoughts?

i'd like to loose my loving fist into your face!!!!!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I use Nationwide. You can vote for who runs the company!

Nationwide are an ok bank but be aware that they can no longer process foreign cheques, which can be an issue depending on your line of work.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I hope you recover from the brainspiders and vote labour next week coolie

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Dreamed that we had won a labour majority and even after I woke up I lay there for a solid minute grinning like an idiot to myself before realising the election isn't till next week :smith:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

smiling giraffe posted:

Got my postal vote. I supposedly have a choice between voting for the libdems to keep the tories out or a wasted vote. Hate our electoral system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Albans_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

lib dems are tories, vote labour

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

What's the benefit of them voting labour when labour can't win in their constituency?

Labour can win if enough people vote for them, and a lib dem is functionally no different to a Tory.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Chapo is good

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Very cool, going to own the Tories by voting for Tories

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

She's definitely going to vanish to go join some third worldist Maoist insurgent group and fair play to her

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Eh what do you expect she's playing the right angle for the snp

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ffs I had money on that, thought Corbyn would just about edge it. Fml.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

He went better than that. He was dignified and informed, and brandished the leaked NI docs. I love my leader.

Yeah I really should have seen it was a yougov panel and put two and two together.

On the plus side I'm not really concerned at all that it reflects public opinion accurately

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

oh cool I wonder if coral will refund my bet based on this clearly contradictory information lol i am a dumb rear end in a top hat

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

Youd be surprised. Racism is not just alive and well here, its positively galloping. Door knocking for this campaign I have heard things that would curl your hair. "This used to be a good white street" me"oh dear are they disrupting you?" "No..l but it's not right!" That's where you thank them for their time and walk away.

Had the excellent experience this week of getting to see some of my partner's extended family at a party and while it was a very good time for the most part I also got to enjoy:

1) Her aunt/uncle being maybe actual fascists or maybe just dumbass bigots who've swallowed their talking points. Highlight was 'we went down [street] the other day and it was full of them.. asking for handouts.' Thankfully someone arrived just after that was said and I couldn't get away fast enough. Seriously, dog trumpet not whistle.

2) Partner's sister's boyfriend, who has always been a little haughty around me but never openly hostile, getting steaming and yelling that I was a 'condescending english prick who came up here and thinks he's the kind of scotland'. Impossibly I am actually very much not any of that (you'll have to take my word) and I've lived in the country for over a decade, so getting my first unexpected taste of blood and soil scottish nationalism was very fun!

These situations are very difficult to deal with at family gatherings where oh my god all you want to do is not cause a scene especially as her immediate family I get on really well with. Thankfully a lot of people I get on with were there, so it made up for it (and probably avoided an actual fight).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

huh so it turns out deborah meaden off of dragon's den is a corbyn supporter, not what I expected

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

oh no I was wrong

(I was basing my assumption on this tweet but yeah I guess it does leave room for the lib dem brainspiders
https://twitter.com/DeborahMeaden/status/1203030909722746880?s=20

Not even really sure how I missed the other one!)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's also a way to dogwhistle Corbyn as anti white and push that he's in favour of the non white Arabs.

this is a very interesting point and I don't think I'm the only one to appreciate the irony

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

A scarily common practice in "Western" countries. We're like 40 years removed from Canada doing it to indigenous women as well.

In Israel's case it's particularly stark because many right-ring Jews appear to present themselves as Schrodinger's minority, white or non-white depending on the needs of their present rhetorical position even where that clearly contradicts previous statements. 'Yes, Ethopian jews are Not Real Jews sterilise the fuckers... did you hear Jeremy Corbyn definitely wants to sterilise all the Jews the racist monster???' with nary a breath between them. It's frustrating, and it pisses me off no end that nobody calls them out, but I guess one reason for that is the right-wing don't want to because they're doing them a favour while the centre/liberal left are in an impossible trap. (In my opinion the only thing you can do here is go at them and go at them hard with zero hand-wringing, though I imagine that's known by some as the Williamson gambit and is apparently extremely bad for reasons no one has ever actually mentioned).

quick note also to say that while the sterilisation of indigenous populations is true, it is (with some major exceptions) predominately a colonial practice in settler societies when directed against perceived 'inferior' races. In Europe, similar practices were generally aimed squarely at poor/undesirable/criminal white people, which is to say that the first colony was not a geographical space but the local servant class.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

my 'favourite' horrific canadian story about indigenous people is one of the following:

1) an indigenous woman's body being wheeled in front of and paraded around a jury and her vagina publicly examined for signs of assault in a rape/murder trial. Like can you even imagine a white woman's corpse being treated like that jesus christ. Think that was from a zizek book.

2) an ex (white canadian) classmate from uni all but admitting that her brother shot an indigenous man in cold blood because he suspected him of trying to steal something and 100% getting away with it, then acting indignant and upset when we said her brother might be a piece of poo poo murderer.

Canada seems to be in many respects worse than the USA (at least there they don't pretend to give a poo poo)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

this is all very true but canada does like to project an national narrative of 'the friendly america where all is peace and rainbows, hey we're all so polite why not come have a joint' and that's very self-conscious from the government level, whatever the reality on the ground

Random Integer posted:

Fukkin lol at the idea of Canada being full. Outside of a few major cities its thousands of miles filled with nothing.

lol quite

e: lovely though it may be in some respects though, gently caress me some of the landscape is incredible. I was in Vancouver for a conference and the city was very meh but the setting - all tree covered mountains and hills and lakes bigger than you can imagine in the UK - was worth the trip alone. BC wine was inexplicably great too but afaik doesn't really get sold internationally.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 7, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Random Integer posted:

Canada just elected a guy as PM who was caught doing blackface multiple times and he wasn't even the second most racist candidate. "Harmless, tolerant Canada" is definitely a deliberate PR line.

I agree

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

I live in Leicester, England, and one of our neighbours had a confederate flag sticker on his car.

I didn't find much to like in Leicester but I did like a pizza place called Peter Pizzeria

mediaphage posted:

Also that projection is terrible for size

Fair but it does kind of communicate the point, there is a lot of space (albeit lots of it uninhabitable tundra)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Leicester's okay, nothing special but there are definitely worse places, at least it's not Gammon Central (I believe us white folks are now less than 50% of the population, which makes it a difficult place for racists to be very public)

You know that actually stood out to me. Coming down from Glasgow I was super struck by how many BAME people were about. There are plenty of racists in Scotland yelling about how many immigrants there are but gently caress me it is a ridiculously homogeneously white place compared to pretty much anywhere south of Yorkshire.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1203347824789856256?s=19

Happening status: it's

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I would actually just blow my load in one second from a position of complete flaccidity

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

more polls for the poll god

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ultraleft twitter is at it again

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/1202887432309497856?s=19

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Bardeh posted:

Labour have been saying absolutely no coalitions, but how likely is it that they do enter some sort of agreement with the SNP if we end up with a hung parliament? Surely that's better than trying to form some kind of minority government?

very, but you don't say it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

My parents got my senile gran to (officially) sign over her house and most of her assets to them before she got worse to avoid inheritance tax when she croaks and I'm genuinely embarrassed