Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Here we...... here we............... here wE FUCKIN GO!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think they’re showing themselves as just weak and desperate by clinging to the whole terrorism angle with this. It’s awful that people died of course, but fundamentally this event was a relative damp squib. Last election had a similar attack AND the Manchester bombing that was a level of magnitude worse and it didn’t really move the needle. Going full racist police state because a weirdo stabbed two people just looks absurd.

2 murders a day is pretty close to the statistical average for the UK so like, even if terrorism was a good reason to abolish human rights, I think we need one a bit stronger than this. Also yeah the tories aren't credible on law and order anymore at all, between police cuts and having had nine years to improve things if they do indeed need improved.

e; It's a powerful, powerful article by Johnson, just full on every trope that exists, claiming he can't even do anything on national security until after Brexit is done, amazing lmao

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 1, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

WhatEvil posted:

Just think, by the time this thread is closed, Jez will be in No. 10.

Think it's safe to say that my prediction last month that

quote:

This thread's gonna be poppin', and next month's is going to be poppin' off
is likely to be borne out because once those results start rolling in and we see Jezza's bangin' majority it's going to get rowdy

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The results for the last relevant election for Totnes:

Conservative - Sarah Wollaston 26,972 (53.7%)
Labour - Gerrie Messer 13,495 (26.8%)
Liberal Democrats - Julian Brazil 6,466 (12.9%)

So there's a lot of lols to be had.

But admittedly Wollaston, though a former tory before she joined the tory party, isn't the worst the tory parties have on offer. She's said some auld shite but her voting record places her distinctly to the left of the tory mainstream, like she voted against bombing Syria, voted for a pause on rolling out UC, has been a fairly fierce voice for measures to tackle alcohol problems like minimum unit pricing, and seems to have been reasonably consistent in calling out tory bullshit that threatens the NHS or parts of it. She's also turned down the chance to climb the ministerial ladder because it would have required her not to speak out against government policies. And she used to be a eurosceptic but had a come-to-Jesus moment when the referendum was going down, and she sounds like she was more wanting reform than actual departure for the most part.

I'm not actually sure why she was tory in the first place, to be honest, she'd have been a perfectly respectable blairite (lol) or have always fit in as a lib dem. Well, maybe not the latter, on account of she seems to have a greater amount of principles than zero.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jezza is a goth get in play some Sigue Sigue Sputnik

Also rip brenda

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pilchenstein posted:

Hearing the queen had pegged it from a group chat containing Ricey, Cheeks and Gibbo would be the most 2019 thing to have happened yet in this, the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen :v:

Honestly the fact it's such a bonkers scenario makes me far more inclined to give it credit lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Brenda has kicked off the month of Corbyn's ascension by dying,

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

RICEY: SEX WITH RICE PUDDING BOILED MY BELLEND

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Going to be true galaxy brain poo poo when the queen's death is announced in a couple of hours and nae oval office believes it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Wachter posted:

I've Mandela Effected from the universe where Her Maj copped it as the tweet described, AMA

That's this universe, she's been dead since yesterday, and now they're running a big conspiratorial coverup to gently caress over Ricey and Gibbo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tigey posted:

Not even sure its an attempt to get students is it? From what little I have read about it, it feels more targetted at people who are already in work - subsidising the training and career development of middle class urban professionals in late 20s-30s, who are anxious about Corbyn but not ready to go full Tory yet

It was observed a couple of times on the podcast that the real outcome here (Whether deliberate goal or just lib dem dipshittery) would be funnelling money into way-over-the-odds "training" junkets and other bollocks like that where you end up with a useless scrap of paper and someone's made out like a bandit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/GaryGibbonBlog/status/1201616036409180160
'When you go back to the Tony Blair days, you know, you had a great leader and you knew what he stood for - rightly or wrongly - and you trusted him, to a certain extent. Whereas with Corbyn, nobody knows!'

'For the people that run this country, they're extemely wealthy, they're billionaires. And for Brexit to happen, it'll be a disaster for the very, very wealthy people. Not for the likes of us. So I think that's why it's taken three years and we're no nearer.'

'Boris Johnson is such a character. He's a buffoon to some extent, but he's a lovable buffoon. And straight-talking! You'll get an honest answer out of him - it might not be what you like, but he'll answer it. And everything he's saying, he has a rapport with me.'

all these people claim to have voted Labour in 2017 :shepface:

This whole thing boils my piss but the loving idea that Labour can't pay for their manifesto is creasing me. Not because the manifesto is costed and all, but because the classic attack line against them and indeed any left party, is "But they'll put up your taxeessss!" like maybe you think that's bad but that's where the money comes from ya ding-dongs. Also "I don't know what Labour stand for" hmmm maybe pay the slightest bit of attention?

e; This is the 29th page in this thread.

e2; Arrrghhh imagine wanting to vote Leave because you're hosed off but then considering voting Tory how do brains get this broken :negative:

e3; lmao this lass who goes off on Johnson for his loving constant lying and being mad at him for lying even to the Queen (pbuh) and then raising her hand when asked who might vote tory just lmao

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 3, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Apraxin posted:

A part of me wants to say that whole thing was... not staged exactly, but definitely planned out beforehand with carefully curated participants.

The Tories invite a news crew to come observe their focus group and tell them 'oh we never expected to get many Labour Leave voters crossing directly to us, but you know what? I'm feeling quite hopeful now!'. They have a panel of people who all say they voted Labour in 2017 (when Corbyn had been leader for two years, when Labour's policies were mostly the same as now, when the Tories central policy was just as much 'Brexit Brexit Brexit' as today), but now all agree they could never vote for that untrustworthy Jeremy Corbyn who's so shifty and you don't what he stands for, and everyone nods and says 'Exactly!' at each other's points and the whole group's in perfect agreement. They play a video clip of Boris, and everyone simpers and talks about how loveable and trustworthy he is, a bit of a buffoon maybe but still a great leader, aw, couldn't you just give him a hug! And at the end, well wouldn't you know it, every single one of them is thinking of voting Tory this tome around. Then the news crew go away and give a glowing report on the Tories' great success at poaching Labour voters. It's just all so perfect. Dom Cummies couldn't have scripted it better.

Like, it makes you sound like a loving loon, going on about rigged media and Potemkin focus groups, but... gently caress. I think I said before that this election makes me understand how a lot of Trump voters felt (er, about the election itself) in 2016 and kept themselves motivated, and I have no idea how to feel about that or if it's healthy.

I suspec this is highly accurate, and that even this kind of focus group testing done properly (If this is not genuine) will inevitably be open to problems and biases. It still winds me up though, because even if the people were chosen carefully and put in the situation carefully, they did still say that shite they said. But, eh, it's not like I think they're the heralds of a genuine wave of voters that will kill Labour dead so I should probably just ignore them.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Jan/Feb 2019

Dec 2019
And this flew under the rader but:

:lol: CUKTIG's absolute failure hosed up the plans of another bunch of failures hoping to set up another bland centrist poo poo party.

This is big league lols, they all thought they were making clever plans but all their massive egos crashed into each other like so many floppy dicks and even the ones who managed to set up Continuity CUKTIG are about to get demolished while the rest didn't even get that much of a sop to their egos because incompetent radical Jeremy Corbyn successfully led the anti-Brexit forces to stopping Brexit and is on course for a Second Referendum

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

A) :hmbol: at Brown Moses trying to make out that this thing is dodgy. It's incredible, because nobody is saying it's actually inaccurate or the contents of the 'real' report differ at all - just trying to create the insinuation that, because this was supposedly released by Russians, the contents of the thing itself are suss. I'll be honest I wasn't on board with "BM is a CIA stooge" before, but actual lol that in the course of one day he has convinced me irretrievably that he is.

B) Vicky 2 is fantastic even as it's wildly flawed. Fave V2 story: When Wiz first got recruited by Paradox he showed up and went "Now that I can get into the code I'm going to figure out how this game works and fix it up some!". He was told "lol others have tried and got nowhere" and after awhile, he said "poo poo I have no idea what the gently caress, I give up". They made some kind of absolutely Lovecraftian nightmare code that can't be understood by either its own programmers or fresh eyes. Vicky 3 is needed or I will die.

C) Break the chains, support strikes, vote Labour!

e; I just started playing Phoenix Point so you probably won't hear from me again for at least 41 hours.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Apropos of nothing but my slow trek through daniel kahn's back catalogue of old yiddish songs brilliantly translated to english, I have discovered a song that puts We Have Fed You All For A Thousand Years to shame in terms of being dark as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkEgX_IIsLk

Think it's now at #1 on my list of old left songs that are right loving on.

'Oy Division' is absolutely incredible. What a pun. That alone should cause any antisemite to go "Oh wait poo poo no Jews are great actually", even Jeremy Corbyn! This song bangs, too.

HoI4 has trouble simulating the True Nazi Experience because it casts you as a kind of gestalt overmind of the country you play as (same as most others in the strategy genre) which inherently makes it difficult to handle things like, well, how the nazis actually acted. The authentic experience would see you trying to fight when five different companies are providing your fighters*, all badly flawed in some way, and all without interchangable parts and ammo. 60% of your Me-109s are lost to crashes because the thing requires extremely skilled pilots but the boys they send you have 20 hours in their log books. Meanwhile the supplies have ended up three hundred miles away, for reasons you may be able to fix, or not, or may not even be able to find out - but a significant proportion is going to move people to the camps, and anything made by slave labour is of low quality to begin with, even when it's not deliberately sabotaged. You troops straight up don't have clothing suitable for any time after September. The SS is running around doing whatever bullshit and could have you executed at any time for any reason or none. You get moved to the West and the Western Allies are obviously coming for Normandy but you're in Calais and the Fuhrer won't allow you to relocate.

The nazis were one of the most dysfunctional societies ever, and could have been no other way. The only remarkable thing was that they managed to roll a few nat 20s in the late thirties that gave them momentum.

*Only three make planes, one makes cars, and one decided to branch out from making novelty ceramics.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pesky Splinter posted:

The "Queen" at that NATO dinner thing is just several corgis co-ordinating in a Queen skin-suit.

No it's just one corgi in a Queen mecha.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Anarchists are very good, actually

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

(KR is very good regardless, agreed)

PawParole posted:

Anarchists are just liberals dressed in black

:thunk:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Shoutout to the galaxy brains who think the solution to the Brexit border problem is for Ireland to just leave the EU as well, or even join the UK

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I will not stand for this slander of Carthage or a single one of her children. Hannibal owned and his strategy was fine, he just didn't account for the fact that Romans were complete loving lunatics who were absolutely willing to draft a new army and lose that one, too, over and over and over. Rome would look at WW1 and be utterly uncomprehending about why anyone gave up when there were still people who could pull a trigger.

Carthago Suprema Est. Except in Phoenician, which I have no idea how to say.

PS yeah we sacrificed kids and WE WERE RIGHT TO DO SO

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"Do you think Israel shouldn't do genocide?"

"Yes"

"Wow, more far-left antisemitism!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

PittTheElder posted:

Nah, the Schlieffen Plan was largely based on what had gone over quite well for the Prussian staff during the Franco-Prussian war.

There are cosmetic similarities in that (as someone pointed out) pinning the enemy centre, outflanking them, kettling them, and then destroying them is like the platonic ideal of a military operation. But there is no philosophical or ideological link between the two any more than there is between Cannae and Desert Storm. And as you rightly point out, Cannae was a tactical affair, while Schlieffen's plans (there's more than one, none of which are the deployment plan actually exercised in 1914) revolve around how to position Germany's forces at a strategic level.

Haha sorry Braggart, I missed that post - yeah PittTheElder has it summed up here. It's not at all uncommon for a Western military leader to yearn for the "perfect Cannae", which is rightly or wrongly held up as the acme of military victories (Notwithstanding Sun Tzu's admonitions re: acme of victory), and someone may either express their desire for a plan of that quality or trying to sell a plan they have as being of that quality. Actually attempting a 'strategic Cannae' would be quite a thing. I suppose you could argue that things like the last German offensive around Kurks constituted such, but I'd argue even on that scale it was an operational-scale business rather than a strategic one.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

e; ^ gently caress, every time I see the phrase "A ghastly bunch of arriviste Germans" I lose it

peanut- posted:

We need to show real commitment to Brexit and restore the House of Wessex.

Gens Julia or gtfo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Working class kids threaten to send their dads to beat up other's dads. Posho kids actually send their dads to try and save them from some big fuckups. But seeing posho adults do the same is quite a thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

not super keen on them issuing the brief beforehand.

I suspect he doesn't think Johnson will actually show so might as well go hell for leather. And if Johnson does happen to show, the fundamental points still stand no matter his chuntering bluster.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The counter is "Men have never needed any excuse to hurt women before, why are they going to start loving around with gender identity?" and "This isn't a thing that happens in places with self-ID so what makes it different here?" (Though they will respond by bringing up Karen White because apparently one trans criminal proves we're all actually depraved sex monsters, or they will just take random trans people and make poo poo up).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

marktheando posted:

Also there are like very very very few (are there any?) cases of cis male sex offenders pretending to be trans to get access to women's spaces compared to the lots of cases of trans people getting assaulted for using the 'wrong' changing room or toilet.

As a tran I'm obviously biased so I may be wrong, but to my knowledge, the only people who have ever deliberately abused self-ID have been terfs trying to go "Look how easy it is!", usually right before they are welcomed with open arms by groups who don't judge a trans man who presents as a woman or whatever.

Yes, there are trans people who do terrible things, but we don't do them because we are trans, and loving over trans people because of cis people being abusive seems, uh...

e; in 1973 Skylab was launched, more proof of the inability of government to get things done.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 5, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

e; ^ I have used stalls my entire life no matter what my business is, because I'm not going to take a piss in front of other people unless that has been extensively negotiated beforehand, wtf. Just rooms everyone whips their dicks out and pisses in. Normal species.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cisgender female sexual predators exist, and there's nothing stopping them getting into women's shelters either. I mean it's not a *perfect* argument but really neither is theirs.

That can work to make people who aren't committed to terfery but have just sort of heard some talking points and thought they sounded reasonable, but once you start getting into the hard core, you'll run into the radfems who straight up claim violence and abuse are masculine ergo they cannot be done by women.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

PawParole posted:

I’m an idiot who doesn’t have a dog (or a clue) in this argument, but isn’t the best solution to the whole “transwomen shouldn’t be in women’s bathrooms” like, free transitional aid or whatever, if you’re a conservative?

Just like the best solution to abortion is family planning and birth control?

That sort of hinges on the assumption that passing is required for legitimacy and/or ir something all trans people can/want to achieve. But, there are WAY more of us trans than terves and transphobes realize, because they obviously don't notice those of us who pass. But but, for them, no, because they reject the idea that transition is a thing which is real and can actually be achieved. It's all ascribed to mental illness* and the 'solution' is to force trans people to pretend to be cis.

* They love pointed out how many trans people suffer from mental illness as proof of this, conveniently overlooking that this comes from society's treatment of us rather than something inherent to being trans, and that the proven best way to help trans people's mental health is indeed to help us transition and to accept us.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

wow ten points down in the poll aggregates with less than a week to go. seems bleak. hope people are volunteering!!

https://twitter.com/centrist_phone/status/1202678707288264709

This implies things are less bleak than they might look!

Also things are not in fact bleak at all, we're going to smash it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

HJB posted:

Blimey.

Wow they must be shook af to be bringing out guns this big.

e; Also I know he must have a will of iron but I really feel bad for Corbyn over this stuff. Spend your entire life trying to make the world better, fighting for the marginalized and oppressed, and absolute scum of the earth manage to create the narrative that you're the one who is bigoted and lusts for concentration camps.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 6, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

jabby posted:

At least they weren't asked about loving nukes.

Well yeah, we know Jo; is the one who is horny for nukes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

mediaphage posted:

Theres a guy around here that wears a confederate flag hoodie. I’m guessing but don’t know that he lives in the apartment that has one plastered in its window.

Nighttime commonwealth chat no mods no masters

I live in Leicester, England, and one of our neighbours had a confederate flag sticker on his car.

It was very :psyduck:

ThomasPaine posted:

e: lovely though it may be in some respects though, gently caress me some of the landscape is incredible. I was in Vancouver for a conference and the city was very meh but the setting - all tree covered mountains and hills and lakes bigger than you can imagine in the UK - was worth the trip alone. BC wine was inexplicably great too but afaik doesn't really get sold internationally.

Ya same with places I've been in the US. They call Montana "Big Sky Country" which seems like a completely nonsense phrase until you're actually there and you see the vastness of the place and you're like "Oh, huh. The sky is actually absolutely vast here."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ThomasPaine posted:

I didn't find much to like in Leicester but I did like a pizza place called Peter Pizzeria

I've never been there but I've heard good things. Leicester's okay, nothing special but there are definitely worse places, at least it's not Gammon Central (I believe us white folks are now less than 50% of the population, which makes it a difficult place for racists to be very public) and the city council is currently 53 Labour and 1 Lib Dem :lol:

Plus being bang in the middle of England has its upsides, we're not too far from anywhere, the train links are passable, and most importantly, as I always say when discussing the city of Leicester's relatively short list of merits - at least we're not Derby.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bundy posted:

e: ^ statistically yes, the Labour party has fewer anti-Semites by % than any other party and no higher than the population in general. The problem is people conflating anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism.
https://twitter.com/votetools/status/1203415971718938629

lmao oh poo poo, this isn't going to be great for the tories.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Braggart posted:

Yoghurt enemas, electrotherapy

:frogon:

quote:

I expect Boris got into the rest after losing track of how many children he has, in the hope of reducing the production of more. Unfortunately, anaphrodisic foods haven't helped. Boris has tried everything recommended by Kellogg, apart from circumcision:

Well he's dumb as hell then because severe phimosis is solved through circumcision and Business has been much easier for me since I got cut.

I'm down with no anaesthetic though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Braggart posted:

I see you're not as interested in unsexy food :D

Oh I avoided that because I assumed it would kick off crispchat and poor twisto would have themself an aneurysm :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jollity Farm posted:

I confess I am getting anxious about the election (not sure the people coming in to the thread and saying "we're clearly going to lose, look at this objective information" are helping much). But if the Tories get a majority, there's always violent insurrection, right?

If the tories win a majority, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see things get violent in the next few years. Not right away; there'll be a sense of not being "allowed" to get lairy about losing an election and the tories will be able to say "Look we need some time to sort things out" that the press will present with minimal criticism. But once Brexit happens and things start accelerating downhill and people realize "Hang about the tories really have sold the NHS and we're all hungrier and poorer than ever"? Bets are off.

However, I'm thinking a tory majority outright is very unlikely. A tory minority government? Possible, but just leaves us back where we are right now and I'd expect it to lead to another election within months. I think a Labour minority government is the most likely outcome (Especially as Sturgeon has been carefully leaving the door open a crack for supporting such a government). A Labour majority? Looks pretty unlikely as well, but I honestly think it's significantly more likely than a tory majority is.

Maintain, if not unrestrained confidence, at least a degree of optimism! Look at how much energy we have, how many people will stick out the weather to see Corbyn speak, how many young people registered to vote, just the different levels of energy in the campaigns, the difference between an exciting and dynamic and forward-looking Labour manifesto vs. a tory manifesto that seems to be almost entirely "Brexit, and some afterthoughts", and historic evidence of the polls being, uh, shall we generously say, a little wide of the mark. We absolutely don't have anything in the bag, but we absolutely do have it all to play for!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Zalakwe posted:

I'm anxious because my wee one is in hospital.

She's only two weeks old but is a bit fevered and struggling with her breathing. It's likely a viral thing but they're now a bit worried it could be bacterial and ate prepping her for antibiotics. Doing bloods literally right now in what is likely one of the best children's units in the world.

I'm pretty sure I am well off income wise in terms of the thread average although I would hardly be paying more tax under Labour. I would though. They could slap 50% on my national insurance to resource the NHS and I would pay it gladly.

This election result looks touch and go at best to me right now and we might never solve all our problems with politics. But while there is still hope for a better tomorrow we have a moral duty to take it to these arrogant wreckers, who trade lives to serve their own ambitions, on every front.

Best of luck to your wee bairn, sounds like she's in the best possible hands though :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ThomasPaine posted:

Ah yeah, it's obvious when I stop to think for a moment.

One of the reasons I'm leery of compulsive voting and even those 'it doesn't matter who for just make sure you vote!' pleas is that I can quite easily see people associating the act with moral virtue rather than who exactly they vote for, and as a result going along despite doing no research and just crossing whatever drat box their pen hits first.

In fairness, whilst ITT we would take a different view, the foundation of modern liberal democracies does mean participating is seen as a Good thing by itself.