Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Tomberforce posted:

I'm not sure why there's an expectation that Andrew Neill (of the Adam Smith Institute) - an intensely conservative figure - will give Johnson anything remotely resembling scrutiny?

not much more than Neil's own personal pride in being seen as a tough interviewer, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Bit scary that Labour would apparently have to eat the entire Lib Dem vote to get level with the Tories.

2 points fewer than before, no need to read much more into it than that as it's all based on predicted turnouts and demos.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/royal-navy-admits-exercise-started-3613894

quote:

Speaking to The News, a Royal Navy spokesman said: “We can confirm an internal exercise took place at Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton in line with established contingency plans for recall of personnel.

“These exercises are conducted on a regular basis and no significance should be drawn from the timing of the exercise.

“While the exercise was conducted properly, we regret any misunderstanding this may have caused.”

#justiceforgibbo

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 6, 2019

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

floofyscorp posted:

'People of colour' isn't nearly racist enough of a phrase for Johnson to be familiar with, let alone use.

this is my feeling on this tbh.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

tithin posted:

Looks like reddit's backing the narrative that the NHS leaks came from russia

https://www.reddit.com/r/redditsecurity/comments/e74nml/suspected_campaign_from_russia_on_reddit/

They're real so idgaf where it came from and neither should you

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

The front pages seem to be either complaining that the debate was dull or touting the snap yougov poll 52/48 as a ‘big win’ for Boris so it’s pretty clear they didn’t get much they wanted out of it. Got to be happy with that.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

CoolCab posted:

someone posted the Harry potter neoliberalism rant and I was reading it like, oh man this takes me back to 2010, then I realized it was less than two years old.

is there a name for this phenomena? like the opposite of when someone posts eg "9/11 is old enough to drink!" and all the old timers groan. I keep going "2018 was only last year!?! gently caress me I'm young"

We live in hypertime now - 2016 untethered us

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

dispatch_async posted:

Voted in deep blue South Leicestershire. Polling station quiet as per usual. Was the youngest person there by at least 30 years

Same from Bosworth. Nevertheless, did my part.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Don’t worry everyone, when Brexit goes inevitably badly the press will finally come around and blame... labour for not stopping it.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Braggart posted:

One piece of cloud: we have lost Scotland, and I don't think we're getting it back until we are in government and can prove that we are worth voting for. I expect the next Labour government will need to work with the SNP.

Scotland's gone. The tories will hold them hostage refusing to grant indyref until they lose power and then any lab gov will have to grant the snp one to get a majority. after that much winding up there's zero chance they don't bolt at the first opportunity.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

No way lol. People will rationalize it away because that’s what they do. NHS will have been Bad All Along.

nah, it'll be 'oh no it got broken by too many people using it (you know which ones) sad that it wasn't sustainable but here we are'

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Bundy posted:

This is easy to point and laugh at but our politics is weird. You'd be surprised how many people hold their local MP responsible for stuff even if problems are as a result of Westminster cutting funds to non Tory held seats. This again seems to be a messaging problem from Labour along with the historic "Labour as well" neglect mentioned earlier.

If what I am hearing about how little we campaigned in historically "safe" seats is true I'll be loving fuming, that's exactly one of the things that cost Hillary big time.

Running a defensive campaign when you’re not in power is also a stupid thing to do. A Tory majority of 20 or 80 isn’t really much different for us now.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

ronya posted:

in retrospect, if the thesis is now "it was Brexit wot lost it", then the answer should have been "push for a second referendum first to get the debilitating culture war out of the way, then the general election" rather than "general election first at any cost"

the focus on a GE first was premised on a lack of confidence in the non-Brexit package of policies to hold on to liberal-leaning votes once Stopping This Tory Brexit could not be trusted to keep them on-side, as it had in 2017... probably a justified fear, mind you, but one that looks a little quaint in retrospect of the largest defeat in X years

Big assumption that there were ever the numbers in parliament for a specific 2nd ref setup to get through all while Boris tries to collapse parliament or force his deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Good to see that lich Blair back in the papers to unite the party against him again. Keep at it Tone they’ll listen to you one day, honest.