Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I'm intrigued by Johnson being left to the last minute of Marr. He seems to be getting the 'interview with a middlebrow West End actor' slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

blunt posted:

No he wiffed that one hard. He didn't have anything to say and was grinning in the hope that the moderator would go to someone else, which she didn't.

All he had to do was say "Wales receives less funding from the central government per person that Scotland". :/

Not quite the case though. Welsh Labour have had the opportunity to introduce Corbyn-esque policies in Wales for two decades, and have consistently chosen not to, or even voted against it when presented by other parties (usually Plaid).

It's not just a case of Westminster budget restraints: Welsh Labour is riddled with Blairite holdouts, and they should cause a lot more embarrassment for Labour than they currently do. So it's pretty damning, really, that Burgon is pretty clueless about what Labour are doing in Wales. They really need to stop taking one of the most Labour-dominant areas of the UK for granted, otherwise this messaging of Price (cartoonish as it often is) will start to cut through.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 1, 2019

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

marktheando posted:

One of Scottish Labour's many problems was all the talented candidates wanting to go to Westminster so the labour party in the Scottish parliament was full of mediocrities, I assume it's the same way in the Welsh Assembly?

Possibly, but almost all of the Welsh Labour MPs in Westminster are melty centrist dickheads too, so who knows...

Another theory I often see is that Labour are so dominant in Wales they attract all the career politicians regardless of political principles (or lack thereof). Labour are the establishment, essentially, in what's a one-party 'state' and not the good kind

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

an_mutt posted:

https://twitter.com/SamTarry/status/1202670973713031168?s=20

lmao my goodness

(Tarry is the current Labour candidate for Gapes's seat)

I'm returning to my usual bleakness, but my god this election has had some glorious moments

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
You know, if the BBC are going to wheel out a Mail columnist to set the news agenda on their flagship Sunday politics programme, the last one before a general election, it might be worth mentioning they're married to a Tory cabinet member...

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I've had optimistic days and pessimistic days during this campaign, but today I'm just utterly loving furious at how the last few hours have panned out. Public discourse in this country is absolute poison

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Bundy posted:

Watching Johnssberg get ratioed in real time is great. Seconds between these screenshots:

For a second I thought she'd accidentally posted it three times, as if she'd copied and pasted it from someone telling her to say it. Nothing surprises me now

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/StefanRousseau/status/1204114138697490432

So Kuenssberg has just retweeted this. Yeah, I'm not sure that is the 'photo of the day', actually...

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
What would it take for ITV/BBC to take action on Laura K/Peston? I don't even know what would constitute a sackable offence at this point

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
These debates are an absolute shitshow, and the Tories have done pretty well at damage limitation. The Tories put the blandest representative possible, and all the lesser parties duly spend the proceedings attacking Labour, leaving the Tories relatively unscathed.

The host literally just asked Angela Rayner "As the party of big state, would you nationalise sausages?"

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 9, 2019

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I don't believe it. Not rhetorically, I literally don't believe it. That can't be correct, surely. loving hell

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
How many declarations do we need to wait for before we can say 'ok yeah this poll was probably right, we are hosed after all'

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Endorph posted:

boris was already pm, this is him continuing to be pm (mostly expected) and also having a complete majority with which to do whatever he wants with no realistic possibility of pushback (not expected)

its not really a matter of how many, its the close call seats specifically that need to be kept an eye on

Well yeah, that's what I meant, sorry for not being clear - how long until those seats start to come through?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Barely a swing at all in Newcastle. Gonna cling on to that hope for... a minute or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Agree, but also Michael Walker.

I don't understand what Walker brings to the table at all. He just... doesn't seem that bright, tbh. Every time I listen to a show he's on he manages to embarrass himself with something that causes everyone to say 'what the gently caress are you talking about?' Also pretty reactionary about police, military etc.

James Butler is the only actual thoughtful one IMO; he's the only one that ever writes useful articles that are worth reading. I guess Ash is good on TV and stuff. Bastani is just a blowhard