Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I think Mac Jones performed well, particularly when someone was in his face. Not sure if I would trust him against Clemson or Ohio State, but I imagine he would do fine in Sugar Bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
The article is terrible and obviously a spiteful attempt at superiority by a pissbaby fan, but I do think that a player taking all-online classes without some special reason is pretty shameful. College football could use a greater focus on improving the lives of their players.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Love to tout the moral and intellectual superiority of my school after getting crushed in a home game that saw two of my players untie and remove an opponent's shoe in a nationally televised event in full view of a ref wearing a body cam.

But that was very funny

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

MourningView posted:

It is nearly 2020, lots of people, athlete or otherwise are taking online classes. Football is effectively a full time job with significant OT demands, in a lot of cases taking classes online is the easiest way to work around that schedule while still getting in all your required classes

Also I'm sure if you gave Fields the option to just go play football professionally he'd take it but he can't so

If football is so much that players can’t make it into the classroom to learn, maybe we should free up their schedules by cutting back on football hours. Classroom learning offers the chance for athletes to interact with other students and teachers in an academic setting, and allows for an active learning that helps many students. I’m not saying that it’s right for everyone, but I do think it is different enough that athletes should be engaging with it. Especially since, given the way football programs structure their athletes’ schedule, I highly doubt it’s really up to the actual athlete whether they go to in-class classes or online.

Justin Fields may be able to skip right into the NFL, but not everyone can, and no one will be able to work in the NFL as a player until retirement age. These are young people, so I understand a lot of them won’t want to consider doing anything but athletics, but if we want to take seriously the idea of using athletics as a way of giving kids an education they can help them later in life, maybe we should put some serious thought into how we educate our athletes. Our current system where most athletes are either actively steered away from pursuing their own choices in academics or else simply can’t manage their course-load with athletics isn’t doing them a lot of favors.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

They have tutors that work with them at the athletic facilities to provide any hands-on stuff they need but for the vast majority of these kids, they’re loading up on the online courses available during football season and attending actual classes in the spring.

It’s also not just an athletics thing. Lots of schools are moving base level elective type stuff to online because it allows them to cut overhead. This is as much an effect of institutional greed as anything.

I don’t think that one-on-one tutoring is the same as going to class, although I understand that it is often needed as a supplement. And, call me suspicious, but some NCAA investigations have led me to believe that some of these tutors may be going above and beyond their tutoring role.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Sir Thats Gross posted:

So, uh, ESPN projects Tennessee to play Minnesota in the Outback Bowl and I’m just not so sure I understand how that adds up.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28168924/college-football-bowl-projections

Alamo Bowl sounds good for Texas. It seems like the perfect median bowl for Texas to shoot for. I just expect more of a 9-3 record with some middle ranking rather than 7-5.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

wernox posted:

My Niece has a rare birth defect called Klippel-Trenaunay that basically caused one of her legs to not have a full circulatory system. Her junior year she got a horrible infection and had to be airlifted to the Mayo clinic during the second week of class. Purdue converted all of her classes to online so she could stay enrolled and keep up on her own schedule.

If its something that's done for regular students, I don't see an issue doing it for student athletes.

That’s great! It’s great that students who need that kind of flexibility have it these days. That being said, playing football is not the same as having a debilitating disease.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Rad Valtar posted:

Every student should be able to take as many online courses as they want no matter what their extracurricular activities are, hth.

This is one of the dumbest discussions we have had.

A recent study found that the average student athlete in the PAC-12 spends 50 hours a week. The NCAA is defending a structure in which athletes are recruited under the guise of being students, given a full time athletics workload and either explicitly steered away from pursuing their academic goals or else forced into a situation where they have to alter their academic course load to accommodate their demanding academic schedules. Other students face hardship, but this particular hardship is entirely within the control of the university. Surely between the flip idea that athletics are an elective and student athletes are free to do whatever, and athletes are essentially full-time employees so it doesn’t make sense for them to have an academic career, there’s a middle ground. This is all within the control of the NCAA and universities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

wernox posted:

Its simply an accomodation for a students circumstances and I think sports would fit into that as well.

poo poo, I wish my MBA had been all online, my group was carried by 2-3 of us with the other two coming along for the 4.0 ride. Coincidentally, one of the two freeloaders was a former Stanford football player.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, he was nobody famous, just a scholarship O-Lineman who was a career backup. He was bright enough, had another master's degree, but had recently had a kid and was busy with that. The program was all consuming, 20+ hours a week for 11 months straight.....my kids didn't know who I was at the end of it.

The thing that makes athletics different is that schools have direct control over that. They could just decide that football players don’t need +40 hours of football a week and instead use some of the time gained on education.

It’s quite obvious that this discussion isn’t just about online classes, people are using college courses as a means of broaching the wider topic in how student athletes are treated.