Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lines don't fit the meter!!!! gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

Scomo has the blind positivity that electors crave.

I think this is it. Australian voters want someone to reassure them that things are going to get better. As that Quiet Australians article explained, they don’t care if things don’t actually get better and they distrust anyone with actual plans to make things better.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

What is it with Lib candidates and re emerging as some lobbyest gently caress?

Heck even Xenophon got hired as a Huawei shill and now he is on ABC every hour saying that Huawei is the greatest.

I have some bad news about the Australian Labor Party, Anidav

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

China dumps all its dumb students into vocational training before PISA does it's thing and also lies and obfuscates on matters of national pride. We should stop mandating people go to uni for stupid reasons and put them into other things. The world needs ditch diggers too.

"We" don't mandate people go to uni, the market does, and the market knows all things.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the gently caress.

I do event / motorsport photography and BOTH of those require me to do a working with children check. There's a good half dozen other associations I've done stuff witht hat require them.

The gently caress is wrong with that officer?

laws don't apply to the pigs

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

How can the senate continue.

You cannot make an informed decision if there's secret deals floating around.

What.

there's no secret deal, dude. she's loving lying

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if you've been following australian politics for more than a month and believe lambie is telling the truth that well, she doesn't want to but she has to vote to repeal medevac because of a secret deal, i'm sorry but you're dumb as loving dogshit

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

wow I can’t believe there wasn’t any deal! how could savvy jacqui let this happen

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jacqui Lambie is the stupidest person in parliament

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

I’m sure the media will do its job by mocking lambie enough to make sure she never trusts the government again.

Bad faith negotiators indeed. Although it’s pretty stupid of them to do so so early into this term, unless... they never want to pass another law???

This is based on the assumption that Lambie didn’t want to see this legislation passed which I cannot find any evidence to support.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Apparently in the absence of a Corbyn the thread has undertaken to fabricate one

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

This APS restructure is going to be a mess, no ministerial reshuffle so you’ll have multiple cabinet ministers fighting over the same department and public servants having to service multiple senior ministers’ offices

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the deal Lambie did was worse than expected, in that it does not exist

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Do the department mergers need parliament approval or can the government just do whatever they want?

They can do whatever they want, all they need is the GG’s signature. Certain government bodies are defined in legislation (for example, CSIRO) and would therefore require parliamentary approval to significantly change or abolish, but departments are not.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Amethyst posted:

In 30 years will Scott Morrison be widely reviled as the man who hosed australia or is the country too stupid even for that?

I expect he’ll be seen as a tragic figure whose government was victim to external factors it had no power to affect (oh the global economy! oh the bushfires which we can do nothing about!)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Mattjpwns posted:

What makes you think this? (genuine question!)

people in this thread have insanely bad political instincts

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Shortly after the federal election, I had a conversation with a figure at the very centre of the Government.

yeah, morrison's conceives of the public service as a machine where ministers' advisers (19 year old young liberals) feed ideas into it and media releases come out. there's no actual policy development in the public service any more.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

so what actually defines a left faction member these days

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol under 35s cast more votes for the Greens than the Libs

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

Study found big business has too much power
Study also found climate change to be a major concern.
80 percent of study participants disapproved of the leadership change and felt it undermines democracy.

Study funds Morrison most popular leader since Kevin 07 :suicide:

the electorate is simply too stupid for any progress to be achieved

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

I mean

He's not exactly wrong here.

Any attempt to shut down coal exports or production here will just be filled by countries with lower standards.

I don't know what the solution is for Australia, the island nation full of resources in the ground.

Why haven’t countries with lower standards already undercut Australia’s offerings? In the global race for the bottom, how is it that Australian mining is still viable and profitable compared to exploiting developing countries?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

a simple solution to Australian politics: abolish home ownership

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

ScoMo's recent increase in popularity is, in my uninformed opinion, largely due to his inaction on the big recent fires.

No matter what he says or does, he knows it would be a bad look for him, (as a climate change denier who has ignored advice from fire services and then cut their budgets etc.).

So he has kept his head down, and let the great unwashed vent their very real and potent anger on the "greens are against backburning because they love hugging trees! None of those educated elites in the big cities are doing anything to help me as my farm and family's livelihood goes up in smoke!" narrative. A narrative that only the stupidest actually believe, but a narrative that allows people in the fires path to vent their justifiable anger on a target they are already inclined to hate/be angry at.

And with their anger at "the left", so comes a greater satisfaction with "the sensible right".

I'm sorry if this is a stupid or hot take.

You’re correct. Morrison has identified that the way to appeal to the Australian public is to be seen to do nothing. The economy is stalling; do nothing. The country is burning; do nothing. Refugees in our care are killing themselves; do nothing. By all means work through parliament to crush the unions and legislate religious bigotry, but when you’re talking to the public, tell them it’s ok, there’s nothing going on, how good is Australia.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Is all this talk on Scott Morrison's popularity based his Newspoll approval figures and how his second worst since the election are a step up from his worst ones?

It’s based on him winning the “unwinnable” 2019 election hth

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I mean keep in mind the reason Finland has a new PM is because the previous PM (also part of the SDP) was forced out of office by a general strike sparked by the govt trying to gently caress over postal workers

On the other hand that kind of industrial action is explicitly illegal in Australia and was made so by the “””Labor””” party so lmao!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

How good is it that our nominally centre-left party isn’t even as good on the environment as the UK Tories

Can’t even be better than the pedophile party

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I marched against John Howard but he showed leadership in a way Scott Morrison is refusing to

Van Badham

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

my hate is purer than ever

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

He's a good guy on a personal level

?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Konomex posted:

Is the PM suicidal? Is he sending a secret message that he wants a mob to rise up and burn Parliament house? I think the smoke is affecting his brain.

Australians like this kind of empty platitude poo poo

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The problem is that the electorate is so stupid that they think right wing parties are better at “the economy” (whatever that is meant to mean), which means that during hard times they will keep voting in the Tories/Liberals because well, they’re the only party that can get things on track. You might think that a century of evidence that the right wing is only in it for enriching themselves might make a difference, but the majority of the electorate is functionally braindead and has no understanding of object permanence.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

My political analysis is that every election is the same as every other election. I am extremely smart.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Post Barnaby voters realising they’re going to die under Barnaby

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/12/bushfires-and-drought-leave-nsw-town-of-tenterfield-without-clean-water-for-72-days

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hambeet posted:

i think the left just need to lie to get elected.

Electoralism will never save you

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

looking forward to turning away boatloads of poms at the border or putting them on hell island as a part of ironic colonialist justice

lol we’re going to sign a free movement deal with them my dude

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Shorten should have just made up some bullshit that climate change is real but solvable and we’re going to make a fuckton of money by being world leaders in it

Coal jobs will phase out, but for every job lost we will create three new jobs in manufacturing and green energy, with re-training at no cost to the worker. No worker leaving the fossil fuel industry will be out of work for more than 3 months under a labor government.

Also we’ll drive all non-whites into the sea

Would have been a landslide.

No, it wouldn’t have, because voters wouldn’t have believed him. They didn’t believe that electric cars exist, and you’re suggesting they would have believed some horseshit about a just transition? Come on, dude

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

they should have campaigned on tax cuts across the board, and then just done all the climate poo poo once they got in

i'm not sure tackling emissions by having a single 3-year Labor term every 20 years is sustainable

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

You know I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of people getting all big on the death of the Queen. She's just this distant, ephemeral old lady who acts as a living embodiment of all the good ideals people put around western civilisation. Polite, graceful, magnanimous, unreal but at the same time having traits that appear to remind people despite all the pomp and circumstance she's still a human.

Like I get a living embodiment of the defunct monarchies is a bit weird a thing to keep spending masses of money on. And that it's existence is a reminder of the bad things the old Empire did. Annnnd all the shitshows of contrivances involving her husband, son and Lady Dianna.

But she's still this little old lady who appears to be doing as much good as she can from her weirdly unique position. And I think people screaming for the blood of a little old lady is insane.

source your quotes

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah the fact of the matter is that Labour was completely wedged and would have suffered a similar fate even under a third way wunderkind like Blair. There was no way to maintain the red wall without compromising the other half of the Labour base.

This is part of why dogshit analysis like “Labour is Labor and Corbyn is Shorten” is so stupid - not only is it inaccurate but it ignores critical localised issues. There is no Brexit in the US and Australia.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I mean not really? For the past 9 years they’ve been pretty solidly pro-torture. Not that it does them any good because nobody believes them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BTW the public service is hosed, if you're dumb enough to work there like me get out ASAP

https://theconversation.com/view-from-the-hill-morrison-wont-have-a-bar-of-public-service-intrusions-on-governments-power-128880